• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Deimos

That choice is your own, I invited people that disagreed with me to use that label. I was being rhetorical though and don't believe myself to be a misogynist.
If you don't like the game for the sole reason that the protagonist is female, then you're being misogynistic to some degree.

Skullface

If you don't like the game for the sole reason that the protagonist is female, then you're being misogynistic to some degree.

If only matters were that simple. As far back as I remember, I've always been the type of gamer to project myself onto the roll of the protagonist. I looked for characters I could relate to. I don't enjoy projecting myself onto a female protagonist the same way that I don't enjoy wearing feminine clothing.

Edit: I'm going to proactively end this conversation since it's veering too far off topic. If anyone wants berate me, please do so via PM. I won't respond on this subject in this board.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just a heads-up, the Twitch Uknighted team will do another 3-day story marathon yet again.

Starting this Friday:

- MGS3
- PO
- Peace Walker
- GZ
- MG
- MG2
- MGS
- MGS2
- MGS4

Full story playthroughs, extensive codec calls, the usual. Prepare your fiddles.

J6jxged.gif

JayEH

I agree with no wanting to have The Boss as the main protagonist of a future Metal Gear. It's not that I don't think she wouldn't be an interesting character but I agree with Cheezmo that it'll ruin the character.

I think part of what makes the Boss work is that she is a mystery and honestly Kojima came really close to ruining her in Peace Walker.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Just a heads-up, the Twitch Uknighted team will do another 3-day story marathon yet again.

Starting this Friday:

- MGS3
- PO
- Peace Walker
- GZ
- MG
- MG2
- MGS
- MGS2
- MGS4

Full story playthroughs, extensive codec calls, the usual. Prepare your fiddles.

J6jxged.gif

Don't give a fuck, they banned me for saying Solid Snake is in MGSV. I'm dead serious i never attack anyone in this channel, you can't have your own opinion there, it's so sad. Fucking kindergarten it's laughable :lol

DRK is the worst. This kid hates everything, he's still so salty about Sutherland haha and says MGSV will be the worst Metal Gear game hahahaha sure kid.

Dogg is the best but the rest no thanks. Not supporting this channel, i'd rather watch someone else play GZ or so.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Don't give a fuck, they banned me for saying Solid Snake is in MGSV. I'm dead serious i never attack anyone in this channel, you can't have your own opinion there, it's so sad. Fucking kindergarten it's laughable :lol

DRK is the worst. This kid hates everything, he's still so salty about Sutherland haha and says MGSV will be the worst Metal Gear game hahahaha sure kid.

Dogg is the best but the rest no thanks. Not supporting this channel, i'd rather watch someone else play GZ or so.

I just try to avoid saying shit when DRK is streaming, since he gets extremely mad about absolutely anything, including the Dualshock 4, Metal Gear Rising's existence, the PS4, the Xbox One, Peace Walker Cassettes Tapes, Metal Gear Solid V, Kiefer, etc.
But the quality of the stream itself it more or less always top notch, I've learned a ton of stuff in the games thanks to them.

Sn4ke_911

I just try to avoid saying shit when DRK is streaming, since he gets extremely mad about absolutely anything, including the Dualshock 4, Metal Gear Rising's existence, the PS4, the Xbox One, Peace Walker Cassettes Tapes, Metal Gear Solid V, Kiefer, etc.
But the quality of the stream itself it more or less always top notch, I've learned a ton of stuff in the games thanks to them.

Yeah not sure what the fuck this DRK kid's problem is...you can learn the most from dogg but since his internet is terrible at the moment he doesn't stream much.

Knight bans subs, who the hell bans supporter of the channel for not agreeing with him? who the fuck does that? I really enjoyed watching this channel when it was smaller like 150-300 people but now it's just fucked. People get timed out for nothing.

Edit: The guest streamer Leo who runs the MGN website is a pretty cool guy, but he sadly doesn't stream much.

Edit2: Oh and their streaming schedule is a joke, i feel bad for every subscriber. Sometimes they stream a day or two and then a whole month nothing.

Skullface

I wouldn't call you a misogynist, but you have serious issues if that's the case. Maybe you should ring a shrink.

I told myself I wouldn't respond... But what issues do you think I have? By what authority would you recommend I seek treatment? It's really just a matter of preference. I could argue that I'm just disenfranchised with the way women have been portrayed over the years. There's something sleazy to me about controlling a voluptuous female avatar to do my bidding for instance.

Role playing games are a video game genre. You could also argue that most video games are a form of role play because you're taking the role of a protagonist in a game world. In general, I prefer to play the role of a male. It's really that simple.

Nvzman

Well that killed my interest in ever watching these guys

Dawg

That does it, I'm never watching these fuckers again.

You got something against Sn4ku? You got something against me.

tumblr_mqzwijSkib1sqfwfqo1_250.gif

Sn4ke_911

Well that killed my interest in ever watching these guys

Yo if one of our GAF Diamond Dawgs is under attack, it means I will skip that channel in the future.
vIhmPXF.png

BROTHERS!

Haha, nah guys it's just my opinion but i'm done with this channel for now. I will come back and laugh at their faces when Solid Snake gets revealed.
iMThMFpbVwLdv.gif

Nibel

Yo if one of our GAF Diamond Dawgs is under attack, it means I will skip that channel in the future.
vIhmPXF.png

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
CHEEZMO™;130118594 said:
I hope The Boss is never expanded upon, because it will inevitably retroactively ruin the character with dumb bullshit. This is Metal Gear we're talking about, remember.
That was pretty much Peace Walker though.

CHEEZMO™;130169099 said:
btw the BB/Kaz date is canon
You can't fit all that love in a box.

JayEH

So Xpike was kind enough to make an IRC channel for us and I think he made it live so if you want to go ahead and see if it works, be my guest. Quick Link. (I think this is the link)

I told myself I wouldn't respond... But what issues do you think I have? By what authority would you recommend I seek treatment? It's really just a matter of preference. I could argue that I'm just disenfranchised with the way women have been portrayed over the years. There's something sleazy to me about controlling a voluptuous female avatar to do my bidding for instance.

Role playing games are a video game genre. You could also argue that most video games are a form of role play because you're taking the role of a protagonist in a game world. In general, I prefer to play the role of a male. It's really that simple.

I understand wanting the opportunity to play as someone of your gender when given the option, but to completely dismiss every game featuring female protagonists on the pretext that you are too invested in roleplay is abnormal. You can't fault people for perceiving you as weird.

How deep does this peculiarity of yours go ? Do you not watch movies with female leads ? How about books ?

Dawg

For me, it's simple.

Given the choice, I'll usually go male.

No choice and the protagonist is female? Eh, why not.

I prefer male characters, but I won't disregard females.

JayEH

Given choice, First playthrough male. Subsequent playthroughs: Attractive lady. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting something to look at in a MMO or RPG that you're spending hours in.

Anyway, we're starting to get off topic here. Everyone has their choice on what games they want to play and until a Boss game comes we won't need to discuss if we'll play it or not because of the main character.

Sn4ke_911

What we need is EVA in Fox engine. HNNNNNNGGGGG

Fuck Eva, The Boss ftw.

If you want to see boobies look at Quiet
iMThMFpbVwLdv.gif

No but seriously wouldn't it be great if we replay the final battle of The Boss in the flower field? What if it happens during Big Boss coma? that would be so awesome.

50c2c82881e551_blossom.png

Yeah not sure what the fuck this DRK kid's problem is...you can learn the most from dogg but since his internet is terrible at the moment he doesn't stream much.

Knight bans subs, who the hell bans supporter of the channel for not agreeing with him? who the fuck does that? I really enjoyed watching this channel when it was smaller like 150-300 people but now it's just fucked. People get timed out for nothing.

Edit: The guest streamer Leo who runs the MGN website is a pretty cool guy, but he sadly doesn't stream much.

Edit2: Oh and their streaming schedule is a joke, i feel bad for every subscriber. Sometimes they stream a day or two and then a whole month nothing.

I thought knight only bans subs for making rape jokes during Chico/Paz's tapes. Anyway, I'm with you
Swat911 :)

Regarding the '13 trailer that this gif was taken from. It's pretty clear looking at the cigar that it is E. Cut to '14 and it's "vapor" is now holographic. How do you feel about this change? Seems odd but i appreciate the effect. it's got an 80's vfx vibe to it.

Fuck Eva, The Boss ftw.

If you want to see boobies look at Quiet
iMThMFpbVwLdv.gif

No but seriously wouldn't it be great if we replay the final battle of The Boss in the flower field? What if it happens during Big Boss coma? that would be so awesome.

50c2c82881e551_blossom.png
That's a really interesting catch, although I think it may just be a Fox Engine cutscene transition you from the crash recovery to the hospital bed with a flashback to catch players up with what happened prior to Ground Zeroes or maybe to emphisize or insert new elements that may be important in the story later on that lie within Big Boss's past.

Yikes. DIdn't know DRK was like that. Always thought they were cool from what i've seen. I still enjoy watching though since I dont really chat in the channel much.

All these banning talks. MGSgaf needs to keep cool and stick together. "A shining light to our brothers in arms, even in death."
vIhmPXF.png

RIP in peace, Love Deterrence
E5pOT8l.gif

AN ATTACK ON ONE, IS AN ATTACK ON ALL OF US.

Diamond Dogs, mobilize! Get set for contact.

Looks like we get a young Psycho Mantis playarts figure in the future.

https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/511769990966415362

Ohhhh man, that looks so good.

Man this fucking game, every character ever in one game.

Just fucking watch, there will be so much great stuff in MGSV I can't wait to play it ugggggggggggggggggh.

TheF1BOB

Banned

Yeah when I found they wouldn't play Rising because it wasn't "Metal Gear" to them, I was out.

Looks like we get a young Psycho Mantis playarts figure in the future.

https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/511769990966415362

LOL at the bottom comment:

@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN looks like a monster for Silent Hills?

TheF1BOB

Banned
Rising isn't "MG" to me for neumerous reasons, but I still played through it and acknowledge it exists.

Personally, to me anyway, it's more "Metal Gear" than some of the previous titles, but opinions, how they work? They hate the fact it exists and can't deal with it lol.

Quite sad really.

Palpable

Personally, to me anyway, it's more "Metal Gear" than some of the previous titles, but opinions, how they work? They hate the fact it exists and can't deal with it lol.

Quite sad really.

I pay no attention to those streamers honestly.

What makes Rising more MG to you that some (which?) other MGS titles?

-Deimos

Quite sad really.

It was a really fun game. I wouldn't remotely consider it a Metal Gear game but it was great for what it was and people who hate on it are morons.

I wish they had more time to develop it though, you can tell it had a rough development cycle. Also, please finish MGS: Rising Kojima.

115896d1323559655-metal-gear-rising-revengeance-ihhdnp9fogpcr.gif

Please, I need it.

Or as a consolation, give us mod tools with MGS5.

Chinner

Banned
its all a bunch of rubbish. they're just playing the no true scottsman fallacy to make themselves feel more exclusive.

somebody needs to rub dirty battlefield dirt in their faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom