• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skullface

BxpJerPCMAAtQX8.jpg

Come on Kojima...

Karu

Hi you all,

well after finishing GTAV I want a new game for the upcoming days & I always wanted to try Metal Gear. Now, the PSN HD collection is on sale right now. The problem: I'm still in shock from the utter catastrophe that was my experience with the PS1 classic Silent Hill. Playing that game on my PS3 was a disaster and so I have fears - especially since at least the PS2-Metal Gear seems to be famous for its "controls you have to get used to".

Found this in the OP
Warning: The gameplay in games pre MGS4 may feel really dated but once you get used to it, you should be fine.

Is that true? I don't mind difficult controls, but I do want a certain control over the movement of my character and first and foremost the camera. Could you describe any problems I might have? To keep this short, focus on MGS2 since I guess that would be the first to play - in case the games have different control schemes.

To all replies, thanks very much! Would really like to get into the series.

Edit: I should add that I talk about Metal Gear Solid

Nvzman

Is that true? I don't mind difficult controls, but I do want a certain control over the movement of my character and first and foremost the camera. Could you describe any problems I might have? To keep this short, focus on MGS2 since I guess that would be the first to play - in case the games have different control schemes.

I wouldn't even say that the older games have dated controls, they're just different.
Also, whatever you do, play every MGS game in release order. Do not skip MGS1, it's plot is pretty much the crutch of both MGS2 and 4. Every Metal Gear Solid game must be played to understand the story of the whole picture, as the games keep switching between Solid Snake and Big Boss.

R-User!

I wouldn't even say that the older games have dated controls, they're just different.
Also, whatever you do, play every MGS game in release order. Do not skip MGS1, it's plot is pretty much the crutch of both MGS2 and 4. Every Metal Gear Solid game must be played to understand the story of the whole picture, as the games keep switching between Solid Snake and Big Boss.

You MUST DO WHAT HE SAYS! ^

MGS1 is 6 bucks. It's camera is fixed, but you can just play on Normal difficulty and essentially use the Soliton Radar as your "vision"; but that's not really what your supposed to do: Your supposed to go from "A" to "B" and then hide and press yourself up against an object/wall (near corners) to cause the camera to "auto inspect" your next potential destination ahead.

When played "correctly" using the games options and systems it really is just fine. Not perfect but completely playable.

I can see people thinking MGS2's and 3's controls schemes to be a bit overloaded, especially with the pressure sensitive buttons, but MGS1's controls are completly straight forward. Especially since the game still kind of plays like a 2D game for the most part.

In regards to all this, i've honestly always considered mgs2's control scheme to be a lot smoother than mgs3's. Why, you ask? because your character could turn on an axis when moving. it just felt better. naked snake does not. stays in a fixed position when turning.

In regards to all this, i've honestly always considered mgs2's control scheme to be a lot smoother than mgs3's. Why, you ask? because your character could turn on an axis when moving. it just felt better. naked snake does not. stays in a fixed position when turning.

what? the controls in MGS2 and MGS3 are identical. the subsistence camera may make them feel a little different, but please explain what you mean by this

JayEH

MGS1 plays fine for the most part. Outdated is probably the wrong word to use they are just very different.

I didn't play MGS2 until like 2009 and I was so confused on how I was supposed to shoot lol. Once you get used to it though it's fine.

And yeah Karu, you should definitely play all the games in order of release. You won't understand a thing in MGS2 otherwise.

what? the controls in MGS2 and MGS3 are identical. the subsistence camera may make them feel a little different, but please explain what you mean by this

Bruttuh,

If you have 2 and 3, play 2 and make snake/raiden run in a wide circle. notice how their bodies naturally lean towards the center of gravity like a normal human being. then play 3 and make bb do the same. notice how his body stays completely parallel to the ground.or alternatively watch vids on pooptube to see my point. for having more organic geometry, i will say that his animation stancing was more robotic than anything. budget limitations i suppose.

Karu

Thanks for all your reccommendations. Bought MGS1 & MGS HD Collection. Surprisingly (for me at least) having a blast with MGS1 so far. Not to complex, but solid (hoho) & engaging fun. (Beat the second boss just now, will return for the rest of them tomorrow)

Hi you all,

well after finishing GTAV I want a new game for the upcoming days & I always wanted to try Metal Gear. Now, the PSN HD collection is on sale right now. The problem: I'm still in shock from the utter catastrophe that was my experience with the PS1 classic Silent Hill. Playing that game on my PS3 was a disaster and so I have fears - especially since at least the PS2-Metal Gear seems to be famous for its "controls you have to get used to".

Found this in the OP

MGS2's camera is.....fine. you definitely have to rely on radar and some guess work quite a bit to fill in the gaps. MGS3 subsistence went to a self-controlled camera and is much more satisfying to me

Bruttuh,

If you have 2 and 3, play 2 and make snake/raiden run in a wide circle. notice how their bodies naturally lean towards the center of gravity like a normal human being. then play 3 and make bb do the same. notice how his body stays completely parallel to the ground.or alternatively watch vids on pooptube to see my point. for having more organic geometry, i will say that his animation stancing was more robotic than anything. budget limitations i suppose.

next time i fire them up, i will try that. i never noticed it, and i've played through both games many times since release on PS2/3/vita. but as i said above, i find MGS3 a much better experience stealthing around due to the controllable camera. there are parts of MGS2, where if you play with no radar, it is quite annoying trying to sneak around corners, not knowing where enemies are

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Thanks for all your reccommendations. Bought MGS1 & MGS HD Collection. Surprisingly (for me at least) having a blast with MGS1 so far. Not to complex, but solid (hoho) & engaging fun. (Beat the second boss just now, will return for the rest of them tomorrow)

A note: in the HD MGS3 you can click in the right stick (thats what it was on xbox, anyway IIRC) to switch between the fixed and 360 cameras.

CHEEZMO™;130469114 said:
A note: in the HD MGS3 you can click in the right stick (thats what it was on xbox, anyway IIRC) to switch between the fixed and 360 cameras.

this was in the original PS2 subsistence as well

MGS2's camera is.....fine. you definitely have to rely on radar and some guess work quite a bit to fill in the gaps. MGS3 subsistence went to a self-controlled camera and is much more satisfying to me

next time i fire them up, i will try that. i never noticed it, and i've played through both games many times since release on PS2/3/vita. but as i said above, i find MGS3 a much better experience stealthing around due to the controllable camera. there are parts of MGS2, where if you play with no radar, it is quite annoying trying to sneak around corners, not knowing where enemies are

yeah it aint the camera i was referencing. just the animation.

JayEH

One of us. One of us. Lol, hope you enjoy man.

Golnei

I'm grateful we'll have the option to remove Big Boss' shirt again, but omitting an equivalent of the Peace Walker swimsuit would be a disgraceful oversight.

Riho Hyena

Neo Member
So did I miss the MGSV livestream? Or was that just a preview? I'm still really confused about how these game show shenanigans work.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
The Quiet argument is never going to end, is it. We'll be stuck with people (mostly men) going "this is a sad attempt at sexualization" 10 years from now, aren't we.

The Quiet argument is never going to end, is it. We'll be stuck with people (mostly men) going "this is a sad attempt at sexualization" 10 years from now, aren't we.

Heh came into this thread to point this out. I think all 3 of the MGS (trailer, screenshots, and gameplay) threads were all derailed at some point talking about it. I mean, Quiet's sexualization can be a questionable thing without context. The thing is its Kojima we're talking about. I'm thinking Kojima is just trolling, because thats what Kojima do. People acting like he doesn't know it will give the right amount of controversy and debate.

As a few pointed out she's arguably the most OP character in the series ever. Super speed, teleportation, invisibility, ultra jumping, pinpoint accuracy. She makes Raiden and GreyFox/Ninja look like babbys? Yet the majority of arguments (in 3 different MGS threads lol) are overshadowed by her looks.

So I dunno its interesting. One thing i'm wondering about is the Chico = Quiet theory. lol Before you guys jump me on this, I need to say I never entered that thread regarding this theory, because it was before I played GZ and I didn't want to be spoiled at all.

What was the ultimate conclusion to that theory/thread? I recall seeing in a recent thread someone saying a Konami rep debunked the theory, but was that it?

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Heh came into this thread to point this out. I think all 3 of the MGS (trailer, screenshots, and gameplay) threads were all derailed at some point talking about it. I mean, Quiet's sexualization can be a questionable thing without context. The thing is its Kojima we're talking about. I'm thinking Kojima is just trolling, because thats what Kojima do. People acting like he doesn't know it will give the right amount of controversy and debate.

As a few pointed out she's arguably the most OP character in the series ever. Super speed, teleportation, invisibility, ultra jumping, pinpoint accuracy. She makes Raiden and GreyFox/Ninja look like babbys? Yet the majority of arguments (in 3 different MGS threads lol) are overshadowed by her looks.

So I dunno its interesting. One thing i'm wondering about is the Chico = Quiet theory. lol Before you guys jump me on this, I need to say I never entered that thread regarding this theory, because it was before I played GZ and I didn't want to be spoiled at all.

What was the ultimate conclusion to that theory/thread? I recall seeing in a recent thread someone saying a Konami rep debunked the theory, but was that it?

IIRC Stephanie herself debunked the theory on a Kojima Station episode. Honestly I think Chico died in the helicopter and Quiet is related to Wolf in some way.

And the whole "Kojima won't give her a reason, she's just walking boobs!" is dumb seeing as how we've already been shown she's an amazing soldier. And Kojima is the man who gave a vampire a reason to be a vampire.

Palpable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom