• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
cqc (close quarter cuddle) proposal?

CQC HUG
62HIOe7.png

Yeah. Real fine.

I'll take a big ol' helping of that over the entirety of Mikami's Rising anyday. all day. anyday.

Why do you think they cancelled it?

I loved what we got, man. Rent it, it's brilliant fun.

This is another opinion I've firmly held that relates to this game. If Kojima's focus had been on MGS:R as opposed to peacewalker, we would've had a damn fine game. I'm in the group who feels that peacewalker wasn't wholly necessary to the franchise. It was a good monster hunter game, but I didn't feel it was a good MGS game. I really feel that we could have gone straight from Snake Eater to the Phantom Pain without being spoonfed what big boss ultimately starts paving the way for.

Screaming,

I extend my digital hand and politely tip my hat to you good sir. However, I can't bring my self to have anything to do with the game out of sheer principle. I respect your opinion though and it's good that you and many others got what matters out of it: FUN.

Anybody who bashes this game, I'm totally with you.

Anybody who bashes PEOPLE for liking this game, however, I take issue with that. Don't do that. please.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'll take a big ol' helping of that over the entirety of Mikami's Rising anyday. all day. anyday.

Okay. That's the single lowest point in the entire series in my eyes. A bad poorly timed joke that completely undermines the scene.

This is another opinion I've firmly held that relates to this game. If Kojima's focus had been on MGS:R as opposed to peacewalker, we would've had a damn fine game.

We did. You should try it. :)

I'm in the group who feels that peacewalker wasn't wholly necessary to the franchise.

Even if you didn't like it (why the hell not!?), PW was a test/prototype for TPP. In that sense, the entire future of the franchise depended upon it. 'Twas quite, quite necessary, methinks.

Lol dude, every time you use that butt mucous comparison I gag a little bit. As right as you are, I need you to stop :p

Can do Tom Waites. ;).

Meat,

I did play pw. I had to. I got the Legacy Collection. I mainly did it just to experience the story, and while I did take issue with some elements of the story, gameplay wise, it did make sense because of where it was contextually. It's a dude starting the worlds first pmc. It's you working for yourself, not some command op giving you an assignment and constantly blabbing in your ea- oh wait......miller. I'm totally kidding. It just felt like a chore to play because no one was playing online when i was playing it.............the grinding.........oh the grinding. I'm just saying that in the context of working on another game as opposed to rising. the phantom pain could've come out and been peacewalker 2.0 WITHOUT peacewalker existing and I would've been fine with it. But that's all just meat (no pun intended) and potatoes.

On a more positive note:

A). Do you guys have ps4's?
B). Do you guys have id's and are you interested in joining a clan when tpp launches?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Can do Tom Waites. ;).

Meat,

I did play pw. I had to. I got the Legacy Collection. I mainly did it just to experience the story, and while I did take issue with some elements of the story, gameplay wise, it did make sense because of where it was contextually. It's a dude starting the worlds first pmc. It's you working for yourself, not some command op giving you an assignment and constantly blabbing in your ea- oh wait......miller. I'm totally kidding. It just felt like a chore to play because no one was playing online when i was playing it.............the grinding.........oh the grinding. I'm just saying that in the context of working on another game as opposed to rising. the phantom pain could've come out and been peacewalker 2.0 WITHOUT peacewalker existing and I would've been fine with it. But that's all just meat (no pun intended) and potatoes.

...and there's the rub.

I'm suggesting that maybe they wouldn't have been able to go straight into TPP.

Perhaps it was a test to see if the framework or mechanics would work in a mainline MGS; similar to how Rockstar uses games in between GTAs to develop mechanics for their big ol' moneymaker. Perhaps going straight into TPP was too big a risk in the eyes of the higher ups and Kojima had to prove the formula had viability before they'd put in the substantial backing required to make something like MGSV. Perhaps Kojima needed to see how the fans would react to such a shake up to the established formula.

Perhaps all or none of those reasons. Perhaps some I can't even think of.

On a more positive note:

B). Do you guys have id's and are you interested in joining a clan when tpp launches?

A) I will be when TPP lands, I reckon.
B) maaaaybe

Skullface

On a more positive note:

A). It saddens me to say this, but I'm going BONE. I need me some Master Chief Collection for Halo 2 online.
B). If we get some cross platform action then I'm down like Chaz Brown.

B). If we get some cross platform action then I'm down like Chaz Brown.[/QUOTE]

What about.............Jim Brown?
What about.............James Brown?
what about..............Cleveland Brown?

Skullface

B). If we get some cross platform action then I'm down like Chaz Brown.

What about.............Jim Brown?
What about.............James Brown?
what about..............Cleveland Brown?[/QUOTE]

They're all pretty down, so they all work for me!

Edit:Wow, that quoting sequence is all snafu

Wonder why were only in the 70's in terms of pages in this thread. Hmmm.

So I've been thinking lately about the theme of this game and how Kojima channels his influences. I've been looking at it like this:

MGS1: Obviously escape from new york. so much "carpentry" in this game it ain't even funny.

MGS2: Some on Gaf have said that he was really inspired by the Watchowski's Matrix film at the time that this was made. What with all the cyber punk themes of information and societal control. Not entirely sure but there's a bunch of others that I can think of atm.

MGS3: Without a doubt the Bond films. Also the great escape, elements of rambo, the deer hunter, just 1960's cold war era spy fiction in general.

MGS4: The guns of navarone is the only one i can think of (hence the name "guns of the patriots".

MGSGZ: Italian cinema. Sacco e Vanzetti hence the use of "here's to you". the opening shots are similar in structure. Also, in terms of camera work, Alfonso Curon which ties into the next listing...

MGSV: Now aside from Alfonso Curon, and all of his other cinematic influences prior, this is the one that I'm speculating the most about and here's the reason why:

Since one of the primary themes of V is vengeance, I cannot help but think of Chan-Wook Park and the vengeance trilogy. All masterworks of Korean cinema, these films explore the deepest darkest depths of the extremes humans will go to for the sake of revenge and the consequences which follow suite in the wake of it's destructive nature.

Now, I don't know if this holds water, but a loooong time I ago I read somewhere that somebody had interviewed Chan-Wook Park and he'd mentioned that someone at konami asked him to help work on a game called metal gear solid, and he stated that he was not interested in doing games at the time.

Cut to the 2014 trailer. Konami releases some press info about directors in hollywood and opinions of the trailer and Kojima himself. And who among them is gushing about the game? Chan. Wook. Park.

If this is any indication, at all, I have this slight feeling that Kojima could pull a disturbing, gut wrenching, Park-esque reveal at the climax of this game. It could literally re-contextualize how we view both bb and the series afterward. Think of Skullface as the Woo Jin lee to Big Boss' Oh Dae-Su.

What do you guys think?

Just a thought. Please elaborate on the other titles and what influences you feel/know/think should be there.

Palpable

I compiled a list of MGO clan names GAF could use. I'll have to go find it.

Edit: Found it. These are all names people on gaf came up with four our potential MGO clan.

- Guerilla Gaffers
- Glorious Gaffers
- Platinum Platypuses
- Diamond (Diamondo) Dawgs (Doges, Dawgzu)
- Rogue Rottweilers
- Felonious Foxes
- Notorious N.E.O.Gaffers
- Ignorant Infiltrators
- Sneaking Snakes
- Boisterous Bosses
- Articulate Apes
- Rampaging Rhinos
- Ominous Owls
- Overkill Ocelots
- Wily Wolves
- Secret Sloths
- Jabbering Jackals
- Guerrilla Gaffers
- Guerrilla Guerrillas
- Gaffer Goats
- Idiotic Iguanas
- Whoahaaa Wolves, Whales, Wankers
- Handsome Hayters
- Hater Hayters
- Infinite Ishmaels
- Voracious V's
- Venomous Valkyries
- Ignorant Iguanas
- Gaffling Giraffes
- Quiet Quails
- GAF Guerrillas
- Gullible Gaffers
- Grasping Gaffers
- Arendelle Abattoir
- Zelotypia Zaibatsu
- Sutherland Snakes
- Potato Patriots
- Quick 'n Quiet
- Kiefer's Komrades
- Sutherland Shurfifers
- Poopy Planeteers

I seent it. Iest we also not forget harry gregson Williams involvement with the score and bingo. Man, Michael bay sure has regressed hasn't he?

Chinner

Banned
I compiled a list of MGO clan names GAF could use. I'll have to go find it.

Edit: Found it. These are all names people on gaf came up with four our potential MGO clan.

- Guerilla Gaffers
- Glorious Gaffers
- Platinum Platypuses
- Diamond (Diamondo) Dawgs (Doges, Dawgzu)
- Rogue Rottweilers
- Felonious Foxes
- Notorious N.E.O.Gaffers
- Ignorant Infiltrators
- Sneaking Snakes
- Boisterous Bosses
- Articulate Apes
- Rampaging Rhinos
- Ominous Owls
- Overkill Ocelots
- Wily Wolves
- Secret Sloths
- Jabbering Jackals
- Guerrilla Gaffers
- Guerrilla Guerrillas
- Gaffer Goats
- Idiotic Iguanas
- Whoahaaa Wolves, Whales, Wankers
- Handsome Hayters
- Hater Hayters
- Infinite Ishmaels
- Voracious V's
- Venomous Valkyries
- Ignorant Iguanas
- Gaffling Giraffes
- Quiet Quails
- GAF Guerrillas
- Gullible Gaffers
- Grasping Gaffers
- Arendelle Abattoir
- Zelotypia Zaibatsu
- Sutherland Snakes
- Potato Patriots
- Quick 'n Quiet
- Kiefer's Komrades
- Sutherland Shurfifers
- Poopy Planeteers

kojima world order is my best. not that i want to counter troll darkside phil or anything.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
MGS2 was heavily influenced by The Rock with Nicholas Cage. If you haven't seen it, consider watching it. It's ok as far as movies go (certainly not bad) but the comparisons you will draw to MGS2 will blow your mind.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGVJx5mOtL8

It's influence is only as a surface scenario, I think. It's part of the Big Ruse to make the player think there in a big standard action movie scenario (I love The Rock, btw) when really they're taking part in a story that's themes question the nature of reality in the digital age via the relationship between video games and themselves (the player).

The biggest influence I can see, at least thematically, is Paul Auster's New York Trilogy which used three fairly straight Noir scenarios to dissect the nature of stories and their relationship to the reader. They even share a character name: Peter Stillman.

why do both names have to start with the same letter? i feel like you're missing out on a lot of great names adhering to this, however, im amazed that no one came up with fapping fiddles, i mean, if you insist on having both names start with the same letter, that one seemed obvious to me

-Deimos

why do both names have to start with the same letter? i feel like you're missing out on a lot of great names adhering to this, however, im amazed that no one came up with fapping fiddles, i mean, if you insist on having both names start with the same letter, that one seemed obvious to me

The maps in MGO2 were named this way. Midtown Maelstrom, Urban Ultimatum, Outer Outlet, Groznyj Grad, etc.

Inf.Patriot any tips on how to glitch under the map like how you did in your stream?

Been trying to figure out how to do it. I was watching this one but theres no tutorial or anything

EDIT: Lol I did it but i'm stuck in first person/inside the vent mode

EDIT: NVM got it woooooooo!

Palpable

Inf.Patriot any tips on how to glitch under the map like how you did in your stream?

Been trying to figure out how to do it. I was watching this one but theres no tutorial or anything

As you're going into the vent, hold down the aim button (make sure you pressed the first person button too) and hold down the crouch/stand button. Once you're glitching through the top, strafe left and right until you fall under (all while being in first person and aiming).

What do you mean?

Watch the gamescom MB video. "Roughneck Raven" and "Stubborn Sheep".

-Deimos

As you're going into the vent, hold down the aim button (make sure you pressed the first person button too) and hold down the crouch/stand button. Once you're glitching through the top, strafe left and right until you fall under (all while being in first person and aiming).

Watch the gamescom MB video. "Roughneck Raven" and "Stubborn Sheep".

Oh, that. I didn't really consider that a hint that the map names will follow the same naming convention. Still, I hope they stick to it. Maybe bring back a few maps while they're at it.

JayEH

Have you guys read the design doc for MGS2? It's crazy how much of the game is similar to what Kojima originally planned. The weirdest thing though is how he wanted to call MGS2, Metal Gear Solid III.

Palpable

Oh, that. I didn't really consider that a hint that the map names will follow the same naming convention. Still, I hope they stick to it. Maybe bring back a few maps while they're at it.

I didn't mean map names necessarily, I mean the trend of two words starting with the same letter in general.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Have you guys read the design doc for MGS2? It's crazy how much of the game is similar to what Kojima originally planned. The weirdest thing though is how he wanted to call MGS2, Metal Gear Solid III.

Concepts were similar but absolutely loads of it was changed.

Concepts were similar but absolutely loads of it was changed.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Sons of Liberty the only mgs game that has a definitive real world location rather than an implied/ambiguous one? It begins on the Manhattan Bridge and ends at Federal Hall, all in New York. I think that just another one of the many reasons why that game is so unique, and so far out there.

aaand on that note, despite the fact that mgs1 is heavily influenced by escape from new york(among many other movies) mgs2 actually takes place there. Plus, as a meta joke, snake calls himself pliskin whilst donning an outfit that hearkens back to his mg1 look. Man the rabbit hole goes deep with every minute detail. God I love sons of liberty.

Skullface

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Sons of Liberty the only mgs game that has a definitive real world location rather than an implied/ambiguous one? It begins on the Manhattan Bridge and ends at Federal Hall, all in New York. I think that just another one of the many reasons why that game is so unique, and so far out there.

aaand on that note, despite the fact that mgs1 is heavily influenced by escape from new york(among many other movies) mgs2 actually takes place there. Plus, as a meta joke, snake calls himself pliskin whilst donning an outfit that hearkens back to his mg1 look. Man the rabbit hole goes deep with every minute detail. God I love sons of liberty.

Yes and no. The Fox Islands are real, Shadow Moses on the other hand is fictional.

dc89

Just watching some MGS codec conversations and I'm on this one.

Naomi: So, is it true? Was Big Boss really your father?
Snake: That’s what he said. That’s all I know.
Naomi: And you were able to kill him, knowing that?
Snake: Yup.
Naomi: How?
Snake: He wanted it. Besides, some people just need killing...
Naomi: That's patricide!
Snake: Yup.

And it's just hit me now. I feel really conflicted that a character I love tried to kill (well he believes he did) a character I love. I wonder how I'm gonna feel about it all after TPP?!

P.S - MGS has some amazing dialog. It's so good, it's just...timeless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom