• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golnei

They will be shed. Though I hope I never have to see the
unceremonious execution of Kaz in his home.

That's probably a 50 / 50 chance - we saw Sigint's corpse, after all, but we've never seen any representation of Para-Medic's death.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
That's probably a 50 / 50 chance - we saw Sigint's corpse, after all, but we've never seen any representation of Para-Medic's death.

We probably won't ever see Para-Medic's or Kaz's deaths since they happen around MGS1, and going back to it just to see Kaz in his house with a hole in his head and Para-Medic's dismembered corpse is not something I can picture Kojima doing

We all know its coming....

The question is how many man-tears will be shed.
"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... and my arm... even my fingers. The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our past."

Seeing how that almost got me going (when paired with Sins of the Father), this is going to be one hell of a ride.

Batzi

Banned
"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... and my arm... even my fingers. The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our past."

Seeing how that almost got me going (when paired with Sins of the Father), this is going to be one hell of a ride.
It wasn't Sins of the Father though. E3 red band trailer had 2 separate songs. Sins of The Father starts during Boss' horse riding. And yes I do agree with Kaz' monologue, I almost shed a tear. The things an amputee goes through is very painful and sad, phantom pain being one of them. I want to play this game so bad! Kaz is my favourite character so far. The personality change and his new look all match the criteria of a man seeking revenge!

It wasn't Sins of the Father though. E3 red band trailer had 2 separate songs. Sins of The Father starts during Boss' horse riding. And yes I do agree with Kaz' monologue, I almost shed a tear. The things an amputee goes through is very painful and sad, phantom pain being one of them. I want to play this game so bad! Kaz is my favourite character so far. The personality change and his new look all match the criteria of a man seeking revenge!

i assumed sins of the father includes that slower, melodic opening in the trailer as well...and basically the entire trailer is an edited version of sins of the father

Palpable

Someone brought this up earlier, but I find it funny that Big Boss gets a cool functional prosthetic arm while Kaz doesn't get shit.

Batzi

Banned
i assumed sins of the father includes that slower, melodic opening in the trailer as well...and basically the entire trailer is an edited version of sins of the father
It's 2 separate songs, confirmed by Donna Burke herself. There is still no title for the first one as of today.
Someone brought this up earlier, but I find it funny that Big Boss gets a cool functional prosthetic arm while Kaz doesn't get shit.
Maybe it's by choice? Or maybe he'll get one eventually?

Palpable

As many of you probably know, the little Jingle that plays during the Konami logo in MGS1 is from Policenauts, I listened to the original theme for the first time today and gotdamn it's so good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mx4RE3jrTs

I want to play Policenauts and Snatcher :(

I'm planning on play Snatcher via and emulator with the English fan translation (done by the well known gentleman at JunkerHQ whom translated the TGS streams for us).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm planning on play Snatcher via and emulator with the English fan translation (done by the well known gentleman at JunkerHQ whom translated the TGS streams for us).

No need for an English fan translation since the Sega CD version is in English (probably need a fistful of cash or loose piracy-related morals, though, since it's rare as hell)

You're probably thinking of Policenauts.

laminaatplaat

Neo Member
...loose piracy-related morals...

I would if I could...
Xu7y9tj.png

MGSV The Phantom Pain: GameSpot Exclusive Kojima Q&A on the TGS Demo (in English and 1080p)

Gameplay:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/metal-gear-solid-5-exclusive-kojima-q-a-on-the-tgs/1100-6422389/

Interview:
GameSpot: Relative to the rest of the cast of The Phantom Pain, based on public knowledge, Quiet is the only person with superhuman abilities that we know of. Is she one-of-a-kind within Metal Gear Solid V?

Hideo Kojima: To confirm, Quiet is not the only person with superhuman abilities, and as you can probably remember, past MGS titles have featured bosses with superhuman abilities. The Phantom Pain is no different in that respect, Snake will encounter characters with various types of powers.

Can you describe the relationship between Snake and Quiet?

HK: The relationship will depend on the player. The game isn’t linear, so there will be players who meet Quiet and get on good terms with her, and others who won’t. As we’ve revealed in the footage at TGS, Quiet will make her way to Mother Base if certain conditions are met, but that isn’t necessarily the case for everyone. Again, this is a non-linear game, so some players may never get Quiet to join them, and that’s fine. The story will go on without her. Naturally, players who recruit her will be able to enjoy additional episodes with her in the game, but it’s not a requirement. It’s actually possible to make it to the end without Quiet.

Are any buddies a key part of the plot? Is it possible to utilize common soldiers from Mother Base within the buddy system as well?

HK; As we’ve revealed at TGS, players can encounter a puppy during one of their missions and may rescue it. However, if players bring the puppy back to the Mother Base and let Ocelot raise it, it can then be used as one of your buddies. Though I should mention that some players may not find the puppy, or may choose not to save it. In that case, the dog never makes it to Mother Base and will not be available as a buddy. It’s really up to the player’s actions. Players have the freedom to do what they want.

For those who bring the puppy back to Mother Base, he can eventually help Snake by using his canine sense of smell. His abilities are completely different from those of Quiet and it’s an example of how gameplay can vary greatly depending on the buddies you choose. As a side note, in our focus tests, even “cat people” fell in love with DD, so that’s a good sign!

Generally speaking, though, buddies are not critical to the main storyline. Therefore, some players may opt to have no buddies at all. Those people will miss out on special episodes and events that only occur if you have certain buddies on your side, but players are free to choose that path if they like.

Common soldiers won’t be selectable as buddies.

What happens if a buddy gets killed in the line of duty?

They die, and they stay dead. The story goes on without them.

Will the player ever get to control Quiet or other buddies directly, without Snake?

Players cannot control Quiet or other buddies without Snake. Snake is the main character.

Is there a connection between the Mother Base mechanic and the buddy system?

If players don’t bring potential partners back to Mother Base and interact with them, they’ll never become buddies. In that sense, there is a strong connection. For example, Quiet comes to the Mother Base as a prisoner. At first, she’s always monitored and can’t move freely or talk to anyone in the base. However, as you interact with her, the story gradually evolves to the point where you can bring her along as a buddy.

Likewise, players need to raise the rescued puppy, DD, and have him trained at Mother Base if they want him to become buddy material. You could say that he actually matures alongside Mother Base.

Therefore, there is certainly a relationship between Mother Base and your buddies, but it is not imposed at all. Players can continue to play through missions solo if they like, and the main story will continue onward even if they don’t frequent Mother Base.

How does Snake acquire new prosthetic limbs? Is it related to weapons development and research back on Mother Base?

Yes, it is related to weapons development and R&D at Mother Base. It’s very similar to the system used in Peace Walker. When players complete a mission, they receive a score and get certain rewards based on that score. Also players can earn money by completing sub-missions or gathering resources in the field, such as raw diamonds.

The combination of funds, resources, and the skills of the personnel you recruit using the Fulton, all affect the types of weapons and equipment that your R&D unit will be able to develop.

Bionic arms for snake are just one example of the items your R&D team can develop, and there are many varieties to unlock. Each variety has its own unique features that you can take advantage of to complete missions.

What are some of the key differences, in terms of gameplay scenarios, between Afghanistan and Africa?

Afghanistan is generally wide open and features good visibility. It is easy for players to spot enemies, and vice-versa. On the other hand, Africa has a lot of forested areas and jungles. There are trees to provide cover, and rainstorms are frequent. The low visibility means that there are many places for the player to hide, but on the other hand, you never know where the next threat may be lurking.

Each environment has its own missions, and lends itself to a certain type of gameplay. It’s up to the player to devise strategies that work best in each situation based on environmental factors and the mission at hand.

JayEH

So the soldiers in that area are American it seems. Time to go see if the US was in Mozambique in 1984.

Edit: Not all of them are American actually. Weird that they didn't include any cutscenes or dialogue.

wilsonda

Hmm... not sure if this scene from the E3 2013 trailer was ever discussed. The scene appears to show torture and an execution of a prisoner in a location that appears to be Camp Omega from Ground Zeroes.

However, we never saw this scene in Ground Zeroes. Do you think this is a scene cut completely from MGSV?? or maybe just will be shown in TPP..

My thought:

The scene will appear in TPP in a scene to show the aftermath at Camp Omega after the events in Ground Zeroes. I would assume that this scene is showing the soldiers executing prisoners at the camp in order to get rid of evidence of the camp's existence. Maybe this scene only appears if you (player) did not rescue all of the prisoners in the main mission of Ground Zeroes?

This leads me to bring in some Mass Effect thoughts. Wouldn't it be cool to see different cut-scenes based on your player actions? Maybe not core Kojima MGS story moments, but side stories.

For example: if you rescue extra prisoners, you have a cut-scene of the prisoners reuniting with loved ones at Mother Base. If you don't rescue them, maybe a cut-scene displays to show their torture/execution. To make the player invested in the extraction, maybe make these prisoners unable to extract by Fulton?

JayEH

Hmm... not sure if this scene from the E3 2013 trailer was ever discussed. The scene appears to show torture and an execution of a prisoner in a location that appears to be Camp Omega from Ground Zeroes.

However, we never saw this scene in Ground Zeroes. Do you think this is a scene cut completely from MGSV?? or maybe just will be shown in TPP..

My thought:

The scene will appear in TPP in a scene to show the aftermath at Camp Omega after the events in Ground Zeroes. I would assume that this scene is showing the soldiers executing prisoners at the camp in order to get rid of evidence of the camp's existence. Maybe this scene only appears if you (player) did not rescue all of the prisoners in the main mission of Ground Zeroes?

This leads me to bring in some Mass Effect thoughts. Wouldn't it be cool to see different cut-scenes based on your player actions? Maybe not core Kojima MGS story moments, but side stories.

For example: if you rescue extra prisoners, you have a cut-scene of the prisoners reuniting with loved ones at Mother Base. If you don't rescue them, maybe a cut-scene displays to show their torture/execution. To make the player invested in the extraction, maybe make these prisoners unable to extract by Fulton?

If you watch the TGS gameplay you see the soldiers kicking the POW. I think that maybe soldiers will sometimes "play" with the POWs and that this "feature" was cut from GZ. Just a thought though.

my assumption is that the prisoner execution scene takes place in another location of the game that kojima didn't want to reveal at the time (or they hadn't finished it yet. or both).

so we'll see that scene elsewhere in the game at another location

Batzi

Banned
my assumption is that the prisoner execution scene takes place in another location of the game that kojima didn't want to reveal at the time (or they hadn't finished it yet. or both).

so we'll see that scene elsewhere in the game at another location
It's clearly Camp Omega man. GZ' story happens during the night while this scene occurs during daylight. I'm sure we're going to see it in TPP.

Nvzman

It's clearly Camp Omega man. GZ' story happens during the night while this scene occurs during daylight. I'm sure we're going to see it in TPP.

His point is that they purposely remodeled the scene/characters to look like it is at Camp Omega when in TPP it might take place somewhere in Africa/Afghanistan.
Kojima did it for MGS2, so it wouldn't be surprising if he did it again here.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
As many of you probably know, the little Jingle that plays during the Konami logo in MGS1 is from Policenauts, I listened to the original theme for the first time today and gotdamn it's so good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mx4RE3jrTs

I want to play Policenauts and Snatcher :(

Edit: Here's the snatcher music from Ground Zeroes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeUbRd3eIeY

Kojima has always had such good music in his games.
I actually played a bit of Policenauts a few years ago. But the controls were weird because of the mouse acceleration. I should listen to its soundtrack at least.

Snatcher is a pretty good game. I'd like a sequel someday. That Snatcher song is a lot like the MG2 intro theme music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fEcqLrvIZko

Berek76

In GZ you save a prisoner from execution (it's optional), maybe this is scrapped footage from that part of the game seen from a different point of view and at a different time of day.

-Deimos

So I'm watching Cowboy Bebop and this Chessmaster Hex guy has a really uncanny resemblance to a certain old sniper.

I think it's safe to say we know where The End's inspiration came from.

JayEH

So I'm watching Cowboy Bebop and this Chessmaster Hex guy has a really uncanny resemblance to a certain old sniper.

I think it's safe to say we know where The End's inspiration came from.

Haha never realized that until now. I actually just finished Cowboy Bebop last week :)

His point is that they purposely remodeled the scene/characters to look like it is at Camp Omega when in TPP it might take place somewhere in Africa/Afghanistan.
Kojima did it for MGS2, so it wouldn't be surprising if he did it again here.

exactly. the scene was already mo-capped, it's fairly simple to throw the scene into camp omega as opposed to wherever the scene will actually take place in for the sake of the trailer. pretty sure kojma has done something similar in multple games/trailers and not just mgs2

exactly. the scene was already mo-capped, it's fairly simple to throw the scene into camp omega as opposed to wherever the scene will actually take place in for the sake of the trailer. pretty sure kojma has done something similar in multple games/trailers and not just mgs2
Yeah, like Raiden's scene with the Gekkos happened in the Middle East in the trailers and South America in the actual game. Though I think that was more about South America not being ready, because we saw that scene again in South America in later trailers.

Holykael1

Banned
So another bro bites the dust..
"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... and my arm... even my fingers. The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our past." Appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom