• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Zemm

I completed it on hard with 38 "continues" (vast majority of those on the final boss), I've seen worse in here tbf. I went back for health on Sam, I did the final boss with 0, it wasn't fun. Chapter 7-8 (or whatever the final two are) left a sour taste.

What the fuck game are you playing? I had a rough go of things to start, but once you learn how to parry and Zandatsu its gravy. I think I've used a health item once?

I thought it would have been obvious I was talking about the final (2) bosses. The game was a piece of piss upto those two, even on hard.

Salih

my copy hasn't arrived yet but i am still questioning whether i start on 'normal' or 'hard'. i want a challenge but it should not be too hard. Could 'hard' be frustrating for someone who hasn't played the game once?

Dr Dogg

If you Zandatsu an enemy, you get damn near full health restore. I dont think i've ever had to use paste manually (have it auto set like MGS rations), and even when auto used, its during a boss battle.

Yeah that's a good point. I think I was subconsciously keeping standard cyborg or easier enemy as a straggler during hectic fights to one side to use as a "health-pack" if things got dicey. A bit like keeping essence handy in Ninja Gaiden but a lot more fun to use.

I had gotten a title for beating the game only with a blade if people are hunting for those.

Yeah I got one for using just the HF Blade but I did use a couple of custom weapons. Is there a list anywhere in-game?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I completed it on hard with 38 "continues" (vast majority of those on the final boss), I've seen worse in here tbf. I went back for health on Sam, I did the final boss with 0, it wasn't fun. Chapter 7-8 (or whatever the final two are) left a sour taste.

You never had to do any of that. I had 0 paste on the last boss and only died on him twice, the game is honestly super generous in giving you a ton of them.

branny

So...is there any reason not to use a custom weapon along side your main blade, or any situations where you are restricted only to blade use? The only thing I dont like about custom weapons is that they seem to restrict your main weapon use by taking away the different strong attacks.
The boss weapons have totally different purposes, so it's up to the player to choose whichever they need on a case by case basis. This is pretty much how I've been using them:

The staff is mostly for racking up combos and dealing with weaker enemies like Dwarf Gekko, but it's flexible enough to use for other situations due to its command attacks.

The sai is the most "tactical". Its purple stun is great for enemy management, and flinging Raiden all over the place is as unique as it is useful. It's best when paired with HF blades that suit your goals.

The pincer blades are mostly for armored targets and can cut off limbs without blade mode. You just have to be really careful and play it like GS in Monster Hunter waiting for the right time to attack. I'm sure skilled players will find ways to abuse the super armor while charging.

I had gotten a title for beating the game only with a blade if people are hunting for those.
Just to clarify, that title is "Samurai", and you get it for using Raiden's default HF blade the whole game.

demidar

Yeah that's a good point. I think I was subconsciously keeping standard cyborg or easier enemy as a straggler during hectic fights to one side to use as a "health-pack" if things got dicey. A bit like keeping essence handy in Ninja Gaiden but a lot more fun to use.

If you cut up a guy but don't do the QTE it will drop to the floor and you can pick it up whenever. Don't know if they eventually disappear though.

deim0s

my copy hasn't arrived yet but i am still questioning whether i start on 'normal' or 'hard'. i want a challenge but it should not be too hard. Could 'hard' be frustrating for someone who hasn't played the game once?

If you played any of the DMC, NG, Bayonetta and the like... Start at hard. Decent challenge with some spikes here and there.

Oh yes. At least the final boss (but he can be brutal on Normal, too).

Dr Dogg

If you cut up a guy but don't do the QTE it will drop to the floor and you can pick it up whenever. Don't know if they eventually disappear though.

Is it full health? I've picked up a few where I had missed the box but it seamed like it only healed 10%.

Just beat Sundowner. Chopping up his shields was great, and the conclusion of the battle was beyond epic. The latter half of the fight, when he's using his scissor blades, fealt like a true mano-a-mano battle with neither side using cheap tricks

Oh, and just like Monsoon, his theme is way too good. Seriously, music is not allowed to be this catchy.

Teknoman

The boss weapons have totally different purposes, so it's up to the player to choose whichever they need on a case by case basis. This is pretty much how I've been using them:

The staff is mostly for racking up combos and dealing with weaker enemies like Dwarf Gekko, but it's flexible enough to use for other situations due to its command attacks.

The sai is the most "tactical". Its purple stun is great for enemy management, and flinging Raiden all over the place is as unique as it is useful. It's best paired when paired with HF blades that suit your goals.

The pincer blades are mostly for armored targets and can cut off limbs without blade mode. You just have to be really careful and play it like GS in Monster Hunter waiting for the right time to attack. I'm sure skilled players will find ways to abuse the super armor while charging.

Just to clarify, that title is "Samurai", and you get it for using Raiden's default HF blade the whole game.

Ah, just in the second mission, so didnt know some even had status effects or extra bonuses, but the polearm does look great for crowd control. Thanks for the heads up.

Salih

If you played any of the DMC, NG, Bayonetta and the like... Start at hard. Decent challenge with some spikes here and there.

oh ok. yeah i played my fair share of action games. especially a lot of Bayonetta.

Oh yes. At least the final boss (but he can be brutal on Normal, too).

I heard that the last boss is cheap and unfair but if the rest of the game is the opposite i do think i will start with hard.

Carbonox

Going through Hard again just to work on side achievements before hitting up Very Hard. Just S ranked Mistral and would have S ranked the entire chapter had I not missed a fight somewhere. The guide will definitely come in handy to ensure I find every fight. Actually I think I know which fight I didn't initiate properly - the one where you need the chip to get through the door (though you could just cut it down instead). I stealthed that entire part.

Switched my skin to White Raiden as it looks so much better. Shame you can't switch to white blood though.

I think I've died more times on the Ray battle on Revengeance than all my other runs put together. :|

His legs have so much health

SO MUCH HEALTH

and then you die in one hit when you have him down to 8%, whoops

good luck to anybody S-Ranking that mothafucka

Ken

Just to consolidate previous advice on final boss for those with 0 nanopaste:

In the main menu, you can choose chapter, make sure it's on the setting you were on and choose the final chapter. In the very first area, there is a nanopaste in a red box on the periphery of the map. Pick it up, restart from last checkpoint. Keep doing that to get 5.

Once you have 5 nanopaste, stealth through with the cardboard box (may have to stealth kill a couple of people, and if you get seen just run around and hide behind a car or something with the box so the alert goes) and make sure you keep those 5 nanopaste for the final battle. Makes it a million times easier.

Also, if you get low on health, just restart from the last checkpoint and you'll have full health and full fuel. Works well when you get a checkpoint halfway through fighting Excelsius.

Does it have to be before you eliminate the enemies in the first area?

Nope, whenever I restart I go back to 0 nanopastes.

;_;

I'm back!

ik57AUa.jpg

YOLO!
tumblr_m96nizVFm01qm89nq.gif

because you too deserve it. eat well and enjoy.

The codec conversations are waaay too long. Most of the time they weren't even this long in MGS. Normally I'd love going through and listening to all of them, but damn, it's just too long.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The codec conversations are waaay too long. Most of the time they weren't even this long in MGS. Normally I'd love going through and listening to all of them, but damn, it's just too long.

I find them to be good to listen to while taking a food break.

(Costume Spoiler)

How do you get the
Bodyguard suit? Raiden wears it in the last scene after the credits
?

I got it after beating the prologue on Very Hard.

I find the tactical sais are really good against aerial enemies such as the sliders and the helicopters, as well as just closing the gap against enemies far away.

SO MUCH HEALTH

You can simply block his stomps. It immediately started the blade sequence in my second run
(I didn't noticed it in my first playthrough).

Edit: ah sorry. I thought you were talking about the fight in the first mission

jett

D-Member

SO MUCH HEALTH

And the timer DOES NOT FUCKING RESET each time you die. To S R-00 you have to finish the whole thing in one go.

SpokkX

Amazing game. Got it today, started up.. Played for 4 hours strait

That hasnt happened since... Bayonetta?

Anyway Platinum really are the best developer right now imo

Dr Dogg

And the timer DOES NOT FUCKING RESET each time you die. To S R-00 you have to finish the whole thing in one go.

I say fair play to anyone who gets the Complete the game in Revengance difficulty with all S ranks trophy/achievement. Not in a million years.

Sajjaja

Anyone know if doing chapter select would delete your unlocks and shit? I think there was some confusion about this earlier and I'm not sure anymore.

bitoriginal

Anyone know if doing chapter select would delete your unlocks and shit? I think there was some confusion about this earlier and I'm not sure anymore.

It doesn't. Apparently if you start a new difficulty using new game then you don't have your unlocks, but you will via chapter select. Pressing new game won't wipe your unlock progress or anything though.

Mr. RHC

Most of the time I enjoyed listening to the long codecs, especially the
Doktor convos.

But some codecs felt quite skippable to me.

It doesn't. Apparently if you start a new difficulty using new game then you don't have your unlocks, but you will via chapter select. Pressing new game won't wipe your unlock progress or anything though.

Pretty sure New Game wipes all your weapon/skill/costume unlocks etc.

It keeps your collectibles though

No it doesn't. I pressed new game myself, played halfway through the prologue and then went back to chapter select on hard and still had all my stuff. You may not be able to access it through new game but it doesn't delete all unlocks.

That makes more sense. The guide mentions it in the Titles section for the Naked & Unloved title

"This can only be accomplished by selecting the new game option, which deletes your BP, resets all customization unlocks and purchases, and your progress on all difficulty levels, but leaves collectibles, titles and VR mission progress intact. For obvious reasons, completionists may wish to leave this title until last"

No it doesn't. I pressed new game myself, played halfway through the prologue and then went back to chapter select on hard and still had all my stuff. You may not be able to access it through new game but it doesn't delete all unlocks.

Wow, thanks for the clarification. Didn't know that.

Edit: lol...hmm...I better not try it

Top Bottom