• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Neiteio

You're doing it wrong. Tap L2 and Raiden will quickfire anything you have equipped without the need to aim, the rocket will fire at whatever target you're locked into. You never need to reload this way.
Well that certainly makes subweapons more useful!

Tapping L2 for quickfire is pretty much the only way to DO some of the Gold VR Missions, lol

Never really used in the story mode, however. The auto-aim is wonky and the animation leaves you very vulenerable

How on Earth am I supposed to beat the last last lastest boss?
He keeps decimating me with that area blast attack. I've since gone back and replayed the first three levels of the main game and invested in the Fox Blade. Is this the solution to my problem?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
What is nonsensical about questioning why you dislike that boss fight?

Why would you question my entire like of video games because of a single boss fight?

Anyway finally got some nano paste. A lot easier with some of those on Hard mode than trying to beat it without healing ._. '

jett

D-Member
ibnvp7UJ6kuYk8.gif

Tapping L2 for quickfire is pretty much the only way to DO some of the Gold VR Missions, lol

Never really used in the story mode, however. The auto-aim is wonky and the animation leaves you very vulenerable

Quickfiring RPGs was super useful in the demo to take the bladewolf down within the time limit. The requirements for S-rankings are so lenient in the final game and in combination with how much damage you dish out fully powered up that kind of thing doesn't really matter anymore. :p

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
That and the general animations for throwing a grenade for example are just so stupid. I can swing a sword at light speed, but cant throw a grenade quickly. Same goes with reloading the RPG and you cant even cancel out of that animation. Pretty stupid considering how worthless it is in general.

Yeah they changed that from the demo

what was happening was people were not only canceling the reload animation of the rocket launcher, but doing so also resulted in a glitch where the ammunition wasn't consumed. (infinite rocket launcher glitch)

it makes more sense in its current form. being able to cancel manual aim defeats the purpose of the quick launch

Wait, people were actually aiming the subweapons? lolololol

.....that's how you use them out of combat(stealth sections)

not a good idea to do with enemies attacking you though

Korigama

You're doing it wrong. Tap L2 and Raiden will quickfire anything you have equipped without the need to aim, the rocket will fire at whatever target you're locked into. You never need to reload this way.
...Huh. And here I had been using blade mode cancel to negate reload time with rockets before now (not as quick as when used for melee, but it worked for me).

EDIT: No infinite ammo glitches with it in the final game, though. Didn't know it wasn't supposed to be possible at all now.

jett

D-Member
How on Earth am I supposed to beat the last last lastest boss?
He keeps decimating me with that area blast attack. I've since gone back and replayed the first three levels of the main game and invested in the Fox Blade. Is this the solution to my problem?

Offensive dodge grants you invincibility frames. If you time it correctly that attack won't hit you. Or any attack, for that matter. :p

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yeah they changed that from the demo

what was happening was people were not only canceling the reload animation of the rocket launcher, but doing so also resulted in a glitch where the ammunition wasn't consumed. (infinite rocket launcher glitch)

.....that's how you use them out of combat(stealth sections)

not a good idea to do with enemies attacking you though

Funny thing though is its not like the rocket launcher does even that much damage anyways. Cept to the weakest of normal enemies.

Astral

Yeah....I think I'm not even gonna try to get all S ranks in Revengeance. I just fought Mistral and got an A despite thinking I was doing pretty good. It involved too many retries and it just ruined the flow of the battle. It wasn't fun. Of course, I could just get REALLY FUCKING GOOD.

Yeah dude you have to buy it. You do it with square and X. Forwards, backwards or the sides.

Alright, excellent. Thanks for the tip.

Yeah....I think I'm not even gonna try to get all S ranks in Revengeance. I just fought Mistral and got an A despite thinking I was doing pretty good. It involved too many retries and it just ruined the flow of the battle. It wasn't fun. Of course, I could just get REALLY FUCKING GOOD.

Meh. I'm generally not that much of an achievement/trophy whore. If I have to do something long, tedious, and just plain not-fun, then I usually won't bother.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Why would you question my entire like of video games because of a single boss fight?

Anyway finally got some nano paste. A lot easier with some of those on Hard mode than trying to beat it without healing ._. '

All you gotta do is last long enough to whittle him down to 150%

that's when he does his first rock chuck and completing that sequence does like 30% to him and nets you 4 nano pastes for your trouble

the fight is cake after that with all the QTEs he triggers from there

Beat the first two chapters. Some thoughts.

-Yep, this is a Platinum game. Lot of depth in the combat and it's all visually nuts. Same kind of fast-paced fights you'd find in Bayonetta, yet it still has a pretty distinct system.
-The music is... not what I was expecting out of a Metal Gear game. I like it.
-The bosses are amazing.
-I really like the facial expressions, particularly the bald cyborg dude's.

Already in love with this game. Don't know how there's already 3 GOTY candidates for me in the beginning of February.

MormaPope

Banned
Yeah dude you have to buy it. You do it with square and X. Forwards, backwards or the sides.

If someone can get to the end of the game without the dodge skill that would be damn impressive, it's pretty much needed to progress through the game on Hard difficulty and above.

If someone can get to the end of the game without the dodge skill that would be damn impressive, it's pretty much needed to progress through the game on Hard difficulty and above.

Nah it's pretty hard to use and awkward and pointless and not even in the game

/games journalism and bad players

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

I kinda ignored the skill until
Armstrong

most of the time I just ninja run out of the way

going to start using it more now that I learned you can parry out of the dodge though. Will exponentially improve my offense in this game

I love this game so much, its the first time in a while my brother and I have been able to pass the controller back and forth if we die. I still wish this was on PC, action games are made for constant 60fps+ and amazing effects. Still well worth being the first game I buy for the PS3 in a year.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

that's when he does his first rock chuck and completing that sequence does like 30% to him and nets you 4 nano pastes for your trouble

Yeah it took me a few tries to actually slice them fast enough to get the pastes but you're right it was quite easy after that.

I might be doing something horribly wrong, or the game is just stupid.

So in R-04 (I think) during the rooftops section on Very Hard, I had to face like 3 hammer bros, and 3 or 4 sliders flying around.

See, the sliders were fucking up my shit with rockets and gunfire, stun-locking me in the process making me easy pickings for the hammer duders.

So as anybody would in my situation, I attempted to get rid of the sliders in order to make the fight less butthurt inducing.

But for the life of me I could not actually lock-on the the motherfuckers. I wanted to either use a red hot kick on them, or maybe even the Sais.

No matter how I maneuvered the camera, the game just wouldn't lock on to them using R2. When I gave up on that, the soft-lock would still always target the hammer bros, fucking me up in the process.

I had to jump and manually trigger blade mode and hope to god that they wouldn't fly away before I could slice them.

Anybody else have this kind of problem? Any ideas how to approach this shit? This wasn't the only fight where I had this problem btw..

I think the rock chunk thing is really the issue. The rest of the fight is amazing but that part is nonsensical. I never had any problems cutting things in the rest of the game, not even Sundowner's shields, but my sword just will not swing during that part 75% of the time, even when I started doing the "let the stick go back to neutral to swing" thing. I guess there has to be some kind of trick to it because I saw someone pulling it off pretty easily in a video earlier.

Another thing I don't get about that fight is
he has an attack where he charges you and knocks your sword out of your hand. Sometimes you get to pummel him and sometimes he just knocks you down. How do you trigger the pummel? I thought you just had to parry him as he was rushing you but that doesn't seem to be it.

Anybody else have this kind of problem? Any ideas how to approach this shit? This wasn't the only fight where I had this problem btw..

I had issues with the same kind of stuff during my very hard run. The camera is just busted and the lock-on is pretty bad. I've even had instances where I would lock onto the sliders and use the sai, and Raiden would attack a cyborg despite being locked on to a completely different enemy.

Have you tried flicking the right stick upwards to them to switch the lock to them from the hammer bros? That's the only solution I can think of, and if you have already tried that, I just don't know.

Midou

Difficulty ramp up for last boss compared to others frustrated me at first, but in the end it reminded me of what a genuine last boss is supposed to be like.

God damn, the added enemies and enemy attacks in very hard are no joke.
No kidding, when I saw the Fenrirs in R-00 after getting knocked to 45%, I said "fuck this" and just sliced through the fence.

The ray battle was pretty cool, though. It was much more aggressive than usual, and unlike the previous modes (where you can initiate the sword sequence after destroying the legs and guns), I think the developers were expecting players to parry and destroy the tail, since it still had 25%+ life after destroying the guns and legs.

Beat the first two chapters. Some thoughts.

-Yep, this is a Platinum game. Lot of depth in the combat and it's all visually nuts. Same kind of fast-paced fights you'd find in Bayonetta, yet it still has a pretty distinct system.
-The music is... not what I was expecting out of a Metal Gear game. I like it.
-The bosses are amazing.
-I really like the facial expressions, particularly the bald cyborg dude's.

Already in love with this game. Don't know how there's already 3 GOTY candidates for me in the beginning of February.

Platinum's facial animation tech has been pretty astounding since Vanquish.

I might be doing something horribly wrong, or the game is just stupid.

So in R-04 (I think) during the rooftops section on Very Hard, I had to face like 3 hammer bros, and 3 or 4 sliders flying around.

See, the sliders were fucking up my shit with rockets and gunfire, stun-locking me in the process making me easy pickings for the hammer duders.

So as anybody would in my situation, I attempted to get rid of the sliders in order to make the fight less butthurt inducing.

But for the life of me I could not actually lock-on the the motherfuckers. I wanted to either use a red hot kick on them, or maybe even the Sais.

No matter how I maneuvered the camera, the game just wouldn't lock on to them using R2. When I gave up on that, the soft-lock would still always target the hammer bros, fucking me up in the process.

I had to jump and manually trigger blade mode and hope to god that they wouldn't fly away before I could slice them.

When locked on, the right stick cycles through targets.
I think the rock chunk thing is really the issue. The rest of the fight is amazing but that part is nonsensical. I never had any problems cutting things in the rest of the game, not even Sundowner's shields, but my sword just will not swing during that part 75% of the time, even when I started doing the "let the stick go back to neutral to swing" thing. I guess there has to be some kind of trick to it because I saw someone pulling it off pretty easily in a video earlier.

Another thing I don't get about that fight is
he has an attack where he charges you and knocks your sword out of your hand. Sometimes you get to pummel him and sometimes he just knocks you down. How do you trigger the pummel? I thought you just had to parry him as he was rushing you but that doesn't seem to be it.

I had issues with the same kind of stuff during my very hard run. The camera is just busted and the lock-on is pretty bad. I've even had instances where I would lock onto the sliders and use the sai, and Raiden would attack a cyborg despite being locked on to a completely different enemy.
Dunno if cutting Sundowner's pannels is worth mentioning, considering how simply moving the camera vertically a bit and hitting square will remove two panels at once with ease.

I seriously need a trick to get the boulder slice to work. I run out of time way too quickly and I struggle to line it up. Oh how I wish Move support was added...

Top Bottom