• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

MormaPope

Banned
OK I haven't had any major trouble with the game until now, but the final boss is annoying the shit out of me and I can't complete it for all the wrong reasons. Another quick question:

What the hell do I do when Armstrong glows green? He recharges his health and conventional attacks aren't working for me.

Run behind him and enter blade mode, you'll need to cut the specific area and he'll be open for attack for a good long while.

OK I haven't had any major trouble with the game until now, but the final boss is annoying the shit out of me and I can't complete it for all the wrong reasons. Another quick question:

What the hell do I do when Armstrong glows green? He recharges his health and conventional attacks aren't working for me.

Edit: beaten

Sajjaja

MiBs (Men in Boxes) are fucking hilarious xD I don't know why, but I can't help but laugh every time I encounter one. Found all of them and
I got a new weapon that does 5 damage! But it doesn't kill though lololol.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Perfect Parry does CRAAAAAAAAZY damage on Revengeance mode.

spoiler about ch.6 boss

Very Hard: Perfect parry the last hit of his four-hit combo, does a normal amount of damage

Rev: same thing, health goes from 90s to 30s, lol

That's how you S-Rank Rev mode, ya'll: Perfect Parry EVERYTHING. The mode is built around you're mastering that parry window for everybody and demolishing everything

edit: LOOK AT THIS SHIT!

Jesus Christ lol.

ezekial45

Banned
I really like getting the extra swords, but I feel like they're coming too late. After using a maxed out HF blade and
Sam's Muramasa
, everything else just seems like pure novelty.

Edit: I suppose Perfect Parry is this game's DRI.

Tain

Just beat Hard. That fight, holy shit. Nothing could have prepared me.

Yeah, definitely looking forward to the other modes and VR missions. This was so good.

Gartooth

Thanks to all of you for your help! Managed to finally beat the boss and finish the game. Can't believe that part with
cutting the debris he throws at you took me so long. I figured out that for the 2nd block I had to tilt up with left stick first otherwise I would miss it, which took me forever to find out.

Just think Devil Trigger, and add in cutting stuff really fast.

M'kay. I dunno if I'm just misusing it, but I always ended up be quite sad at having no meter afterwards for going straight into slo-mo blade mode at will or for canceling. In the long-run I just prefer the latter over what seems to be a really short boost. Though, as noted earlier, I may just be using it wrong. :/

Sajjaja

Thanks to all of you for your help! Managed to finally beat the boss and finish the game. Can't believe that part with
cutting the debris he throws at you took me so long. I figured out that for the 2nd block I had to tilt up with left stick first otherwise I would miss it, which took me forever to find out.

Yeah, I had trouble with it initially the first time as well. I don't know why, but so many people fail to realize that is what you have to do and they end up just blaming the game.

Anyone have any good tutorial videos on advanced techniques? I feel like I'm *this* close to getting down the flow of the game, but some parts still feel off. Still loving it though. And although it's been said a ton of times already, the dynamic soundtrack during boss fights is incredible.
I can't think of all the original videos off the top of my head, and I should really make a youtube playlist at some point.

Interesting/useful mechanics:
  • Blade Mode Canceling, where you tap L1 to briefly go into blade mode which resets Raiden at neutral. A ton of interesting uses and combo opportunities, most of which haven't really been explored it seems.
  • Dodge offset, where you can continue a combo after an evade. So you can do either HHLLH or H evade H evade LL evade H and the same moves will come out. Good for pincer blades.
  • Parry can be canceled with an evade during the metallic flash, which is incredibly useful if you don't want to get locked in block stun by multiple enemies.
  • Evades can be canceled with parries, so you can effectively option-select against red/orange moves by inputting one after the other

Probably a ton of other ones, but I'm waiting for the technology to trickle in.

M'kay. I dunno if I'm just misusing it, but I always ended up be quite sad at having no meter afterwards for going straight into slo-mo blade mode at will or for canceling. In the long-run I just prefer the latter over what seems to be a really short boost. Though, as noted earlier, I may just be using it wrong. :/

You can still Zandatsu in Ripper Mode, so you can keep it going indefinitely if you're good at slicing and keep good awareness of which torsos have turned blue. It's invaluable against packs of armored enemies like mastiffs or swordsmen.

Haha, it's always the stuff I never expect that halts progress. Doing the optional ranked battle in ch. 4 is lame as hell, these turrets, they do nothing.

Nemesis_

Ahhh, that's almost double the time everyone has been completing it in. More like 4-5 hours to beat the campaign.

If you play on Easy or Normal OR can't tell the time properly

This is my completion time on Hard. First time through. No repeated files.

VCynvzs.jpg

The 2 AI dogs in the prologue actually kicked my ass into the Metal Gear Ray boss fight, they literally kicked my ass through the gate and then the cutscene triggered.

I seriously died like 3 times in the prologue because I didn't have my upgrades or custom weapons.

Nemesis_

I hear that if you get damaged in R-00, that the damage is stuck with you until you start the level again. This means if you reload a checkpoint, you still won't get a No Damage bonus (and probably get a B like I did ;______;)

Cripes, that codec trophy took forever!

I called everyone after every cutscene/checkpoint/new area and the trophy didn't ping until very late endgame:
during the fistfight phase of Armstrong.

That'll be the only gold trophy for me with this game; VR missions and Revengeance S's aren't worth the years the stress/rage will take off my life. :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

spoiler about ch.6 boss

Very Hard: Perfect parry the last hit of his four-hit combo, does a normal amount of damage

That's how you S-Rank Rev mode, ya'll: Perfect Parry EVERYTHING. The mode is built around you're mastering that parry window for everybody and demolishing everything

Like I said,

raidenlwqfp.jpg

MormaPope

Banned
I seriously died like 3 times in the prologue because I didn't have my upgrades or custom weapons.

I sort of wish there would be a mode where Raiden can't get or use upgrades and you can only use your default sword along with support items. The dodge move is given to the player, that's the only upgrade the player gets.

Call it "Bigger Boss" difficulty, it'll be one above Revengeance.

Dahbomb

I sort of wish there would be a mode where Raiden can't get or use upgrades and you can only use your default sword along with support items. The dodge move is given to the player, that's the only upgrade the player gets.

Call it "Bigger Boss" difficulty, it'll be one above Revengeance.
You can reset your game and input the code if you want to do that. I am sure people will attempt a naked Raiden S rank run on Revengeance like they did for DMC3.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Any good way to farm BP or should I just keep playing? I kind of want to get all the moves and upgrade weapons a bit more before I move up to a higher difficulty. Maybe I'll just do a collectable runthrough to mess around a bit and build up BP.

MormaPope

Banned
You can reset your game and input the code if you want to do that. I am sure people will attempt a naked Raiden S rank run on Revengeance like they did for DMC3.

Damn, doing that after collecting everything is going to be tempting. Only exception to the rule has to be the dodge move upgrade, no way in hell can the game be completed without that on Revengeance.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Any good way to farm BP or should I just keep playing? I kind of want to get all the moves and upgrade weapons a bit more before I move up to a higher difficulty. Maybe I'll just do a collectable runthrough to mess around a bit and build up BP.

Just keep running through the game. Use the chapter select and do that. Its far more amusing that constantly going into customize and coming back out to farm the same section.

One of the best places for that is the sewers with all of the tripods running around. Then after beating them and getting the S rank, theres the 2 stuck together which sometimes drop a chip worth 5000 pts. Then enter customization rinse and repeat.

Kevin is voiced by Samurai Jack

Such a good game. Somehow, I easily beat the last boss after dying a bunch of times w/o nanopaste. I discovered you can dodge (light_heavy attack) his area-attack is you time it right.

Parakeetman

Ugh, I either do this or completely miss the parry altogether and just take heaps of damage.

Just keep at it and eventually you should figure out what the timing is. Ive gotten slightly better but still cant pull it off enough to be considered useful yet haha At least I can block pretty much most of the attacks, esp multiple hit ones. That is as long as the camera doesnt fuck me over lol

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

spoiler about ch.6 boss

What the heck? That's ridiculous. Why would they do that? Doesn't that undermine the concept of a higher difficulty? Perfect parries aren't that hard to do.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What the heck? That's ridiculous. Why would they do that? Doesn't that undermine the concept of a higher difficulty? Perfect parries aren't that hard to do.

Is it the parry or the seemingly constant ripper mode in that video? Seemed like the guy had a wig on.

Now it's confession time. When I S ranked Monsoon and everything before him with no damage on Revengeance, I somehow missed the first fight of that chapter. Instant A rank. Um...does anyone know where the first ranked fight of R-03 is? : (

Anyone know? My ranking screen for R-03 looked like this at the end:

-SS
SSSSSSSSS

Chapter 2, when you first encounter a GRAD. You'll get a checkpoint at the start > run to opposite side of the room > open crate for 5000BP > select > customize > back out > starts you at the checkpoint > open chest again and repeat.

Doing that, it only takes 10min to get 100K BP.

Is it the parry or the seemingly constant ripper mode in that video? Seemed like the guy had a wig on.

He's wearing the Blue Wig for infinite energy/Ripper mode.

I mean, it may have been both. He looked like he was in Ripper Mode, but I don't think it would boost damage that much.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the ripper mode, it's normally super limited and getting a perfect parry under those circumstances would be rare.

Anyone know? My ranking screen for R-03 looked like this at the end:

-SS
SSSSSSSSS
Honestly don't know, the first ranked battle is the one right after the beginning cutscene, so you shouldn't be able to skip it. Unless they ordered it in a weird way on the results screen.

duckroll

Finished Chapter 3. This is such an awesome action game. Fun, creative, enjoyable, filled with enemy patterns, varied stages, over the top plot and set pieces, all the good things associated with Japanese videogames. Maybe if we got more stuff like this more often, the industry wouldn't be so down on Japanese games at large.

Parakeetman

Finished Chapter 3. This is such an awesome action game. Fun, creative, enjoyable, filled with enemy patterns, varied stages, over the top plot and set pieces, all the good things associated with Japanese videogames. Maybe if we got more stuff like this more often, the industry wouldn't be so down on Japanese games at large.

Platinum games needs to make a new God Hand or its spiritual successor.

That or a One Punch Man game lol

Honestly don't know, the first ranked battle is the one right after the beginning cutscene, so you shouldn't be able to skip it. Unless they ordered it in a weird way on the results screen.

It was bizarre. I'll try to recall the ranked battles I fought in that chapter.

1. Opening battle
2. 2x GRADs
3. "Call for backup"
4. Gekkos and Dwarves in office
5. Rocket and shield dudes in hallway
6. Regular and flying dudes on rooftop
7. Optional rooftop battle by black box
8. Chopper battle on rooftop
9. Hammer Bros battle on rooftop
10. Mastiffs in underground
11. Dudes + GRAD on the street
12. Regular and rocket dudes in courtyard before Raiden's breakdown
13. Monsoon

All I can remember. I may have missed one.

Earl_Grey

Murdered By StarCreator
The gameplay is awesome, but getting bushwhacked from offscreen is super frustrating.

From a narrative perspective (no seriously, it's a Metal Gear game) it's a complete mess. It kind of feels like the game is missing its second act. There's the beginning of a plot and Raiden seems to be going through some kind of character arc(the Jack introduction was awesome), but then it just stops. All the antagonists the game has been building up drop like dominoes, and the last boss comes out of nowhere. In terms of mechanics, it's a great fight. But it lacked the personal touch that made MGS' finales so good.

It kinda' feels like substantial amounts of stuff was cut, or Kojima simply lost interest. The game becomes notably more Platinum-esque towards the end.

Nemesis_

Does anyone know how the timer works?

Basically, I'm up to (R-04 Spoilers)
the room where you fight the body doubles of Mistral and Monsoon

I've been beating them quite quickly, racked up kills and made my combo number quite high. Presumably this should offset the fact that I can finish the room while taking damage and still get an S Rank.

However, for some reason, the timer is increasing everytime I finished. I finished it a few minutes faster than one time and the timer read 8 minutes. Then the second time, I finished even faster! and it said 10 minutes.

Why is the clock adding on time? Is there no way to reset it without starting the chapter? Watching some YouTube online, there is a girl who has done it in about 4 minutes! That's what I swear I did it in, but for some reason it just won't work. :/

NotLiquid

Wow. I just beat the first introduction stage.

I haven't felt this kind of accomplishment of introduction since the first God of War. The game is straight up madness, I'm going to look forward to playing this game again on harder difficulties.

Gbraga

I had my Casshern steelbook with me, I looked at my gigantic backlog, all those games craving to be played, their most intimate, passionate and irrational desires coming out, they were almost screaming at me, begging for me to chose them next, I then looked at Raiden and Bladewolf in that badass metallic case and I just knew.

It was time to leave them all behind.

jett

D-Member
Does anyone know how the timer works?

Basically, I'm up to (R-04 Spoilers)
the room where you fight the body doubles of Mistral and Monsoon

I've been beating them quite quickly, racked up kills and made my combo number quite high. Presumably this should offset the fact that I can finish the room while taking damage and still get an S Rank.

However, for some reason, the timer is increasing everytime I finished. I finished it a few minutes faster than one time and the timer read 8 minutes. Then the second time, I finished even faster! and it said 10 minutes.

Why is the clock adding on time? Is there no way to reset it without starting the chapter? Watching some YouTube online, there is a girl who has done it in about 4 minutes! That's what I swear I did it in, but for some reason it just won't work. :/

If you die the time is cumulative. You must restart before dying.

Top Bottom