• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It was bizarre. I'll try to recall the ranked battles I fought in that chapter.

1. Opening battle
2. 2x GRADs
3. "Call for backup"
4. Gekkos and Dwarves in office
5. Rocket and shield dudes in hallway
6. Regular and flying dudes on rooftop
7. Optional rooftop battle by black box
8. Chopper battle on rooftop
9. Hammer Bros battle on rooftop
10. Mastiffs in underground
11. Dudes + GRAD on the street
12. Regular and rocket dudes in courtyard before Raiden's breakdown
13. Monsoon

All I can remember. I may have missed one.

This seems to have them all?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Wow lol @ upgraded Fox Blade. Everything dies instantly you have to use your sub weapon otherwise you can't get a high rank :(

My copy finally arrived; I didn't doubt people saying the game was fun, but I can't remember the last time I've had THIS much fun in an action title before. Into the third chapter now, it's just fucking incredible how much of the KP/PG balance is there.

As a MG fan, if you're coming into the game knowing it's a side-story, the length feels incredible. All the codecs, secrets, playing new VR missions in-between missions; it's feeling kind of long for an action title. And as much as I love
Mistral's weapon, I wish she lasted a lot longer in the game (definitely my favorite among the Winds of Destruction).

If it's supposed to get even crazier from here, I can't wait.

solarus

So I JUST got around to playing the demo, haven't had a lot of time recently and my god, this game seems incredible. The action is just so fun, especially the slicing mechanic. I wish I had funds to spare...

Revven

Can anyone give me some useful tips for the final boss? I'm on Hard mode and I tried for at least an hour and a half last night; eventually giving up to go to bed.

I keep mucking up the slicing the boulder part and also activating the QTE where you punch his gut a thousand times

Carbonox

Can anyone give me some useful tips for the final boss? I'm on Hard mode and I tried for at least an hour and a half last night; eventually giving up to go to bed.

I keep mucking up the slicing the boulder part and also activating the QTE where you punch his gut a thousand times

Run away from the former. You have enough time to do so so you don't have to chance it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow lol @ upgraded Fox Blade. Everything dies instantly you have to use your sub weapon otherwise you can't get a high rank :(

Apparently it's possible to S-rank things just going into blade mode/ripper mode and using it. I think I'm going to cheese Revengence with it.

Carbonox

Hmm, okay. So I should just chip away at him somehow without taking a crap ton of damage?

That's gonna be hard as fuck. @_@

I meant run away from when he throws the boulders. You don't have to cut them.

You'll definitely want to rely on the Defense Offense ability (square and X together) in this fight as it's more useful than blocking.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I tried using it but I can't be bothered for my Revengeance run. I've been using my unlocked blades.

Yeah it seems like a speedrun weapon.

Apparently it's possible to S-rank things just going into blade mode/ripper mode and using it. I think I'm going to cheese Revengence with it.

It's definitely possible it's just pretty odd sometimes like if you hit one of the GRADs and it dies instantly you're not getting that S :(

Nemesis_

I meant run away from when he throws the boulders. You don't have to cut them.

You'll definitely want to rely on the Defense Offense ability (square and X together) in this fight as it's more useful than blocking.

The best thing about doing a no damage run on that boss is that I don't need to worry about slicing the rocks, as I don't need the health! :p

There's a misconception that Ripper mode gives you extra damage on bosses: it doesn't. The Perfect Parry is just that godlike

Are you sure? I know that doing a Ninja Run -> Slide Kick into Mistral instantly breaks her rod (or enables me to with Blade Mode). If I am not in Ripper Mode, this doesn't happen.

Revven

Yeah, I tried that a few times last night; it's kind of hard to time it right though but I guess it'll take a good amount of practice if I don't want to get hit. Sometimes I also find myself doing an attack instead of the dodge, which is probably just me hitting square before I hit X.

I'll try what you said later today, thanks. :)

The boss was driving me nuts last night because of how wildly different he is from the others. Hard mode truly is hard in this case lol.

It breaks through armor, so the rod probably counts(as does ninja running around and one-hitting all her mini geckos), but attack ch.6 boss with a few light attacks without Ripper mode, restart and try it again with Ripper mode. The difference is inconsequential.

Jarmel

Banned
When you fight Mistral in the game, are there any French vocal aspects? I was listening to the old stuff found in the demo and part of A Stranger I Remain has french vocals. The version in the OST doesn't have the french vocals.

njean777

Loved this game up until the last boss, what a piece of shit fight this is
why in gods name did they think putting the Zandestu parts and making you aim precisely is any fun?
It is the worst design decision I have ever seen. I cannot get past the precise sword slice part on this boss and I have died at least 15 times at that part already. Fucking stupid design choice and they should never ever do this again.

btw of course I am out of nano paste, so I die in 1 go. No rations for me.

jett

D-Member
Goddamnit this VR missions were designed by a fucking idiot. Enemies friggin disappear if I cut off their arms in Mission 19 with the pincer blades(you have to zandatsu them all). What the fuck is this crap?

Robot Pants

All I need is to finish and gold vr mission 19 and that trophy is mine. Then onto revengeance mode S rank.

..... Then Revengeance Mode S Rank on a blank save file with no previous upgrades. Good lord.

wingz

Loved this game up until the last boss, what a piece of shit fight this is
why in gods name did they think putting the Zandestu parts and making you aim precisely is any fun?
It is the worst design decision I have ever seen. I cannot get past the precise sword slice part on this boss and I have died at least 15 times at that part already. Fucking stupid design choice and they should never ever do this again.

btw of course I am out of nano paste, so I die in 1 go. No rations for me.

As soon you finish that portion, you get 3-4 nanopastes that drop on the battlefield. Try using both joystiqs at the same time, and that sequence should become much easier.

Nemesis_

I'm gonna wager a guess that this is the Stinger VR Mission

Honestly, the only VR Missions I had problems with were 18 and 19. And I have well-documented my rage throughout this thread.

The Stinger one doesn't even seem memorable. I had to think about it - people hate it?

The grenade one is another that I can imagine people would also hate - but after doing that FUCKING AWFUL one in MGS2:S on the HD Collection, my standards for shittiness were notably higher.

Raxus

Honestly, the only VR Missions I had problems with were 18 and 19. And I have well-documented my rage throughout this thread.

The Stinger one doesn't even seem memorable. I had to think about it - people hate it?

The grenade one is another that I can imagine people would also hate - but after doing that FUCKING AWFUL one in MGS2:S on the HD Collection, my standards for shittiness were notably higher.

I am on the grenade one now. It is annoying but doable after a few tries.

Robot Pants

18 is the worst because of the one hit kills.
The fenrirs and sledgehammer guys is the only real hard part of it, but one mistake on any wave makes you restart and can get frustrating.

So is there any penalty/negative to using items/sub weapons/etc? Or are they supposed to be considered a main part of the game and you use them when you want/need?

I used a lot of "/" there...

Revven

Oh, one more thing. Can you upgrade the Muramasa during the final boss? Or do you not actually "have" it to do that? My sword swings on Hard are doing 1% damage to the boss. =\

I maxed my health out at least before this boss (aside from one or two endurance boxes I might have missed in two other chapters). Can you go back to a previous chapter and get nanopaste and then come back to the final phase of the final boss or does revisiting a chapter overwrite the checkpoint?

Gartooth

Just a few tips for everyone that is having trouble with the final boss. I was in the same position last night and it took me a long ass time, but I eventually managed to defeat him, and here is what I learned.

At least once you actually do want to cut the debris he throws at you, this is because afterwards you can pick up 4 health packs which makes the boss fight much easier. Afterwards just run forward to avoid the attack. Also on the second piece of debris, tilt the left stick up so Raiden has a better view of it, otherwise you will miss.

When Armstrong starts to glow green and regenerate health, use blade mode to slice his back. I guess for a lot of people this isn't a problem, but for me personally I had no idea what to do, and it cost me a fight that I would have won otherwise had I known.

duckroll

When you fight Mistral in the game, are there any French vocal aspects? I was listening to the old stuff found in the demo and part of A Stranger I Remain has french vocals. The version in the OST doesn't have the french vocals.

http://platinumgames.com/2013/02/14/geared-up-for-metal-and-some-dubstep/

Finally, a bit about the soundtrack CD themselves. There are two different CD releases scheduled. The first is the Metal Gear Rising OST, part of the limited edition package, which features the instrumental tracks from the game. The second CD is called “Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Vocal Tracks,” which like its name implies, features all the vocal tracks from the game. The contents of both CDs have no overlap, so only by getting both soundtracks will you be able to complete a full collection of music from the game.

The vocal versions should be on the vocal tracks OST.

Zampano

Is there a limit on the number of skills you can equip? I bought some but they're not appearing with the rest on the help screen.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Chapter 2, when you first encounter a GRAD. You'll get a checkpoint at the start > run to opposite side of the room > open crate for 5000BP > select > customize > back out > starts you at the checkpoint > open chest again and repeat.

Doing that, it only takes 10min to get 100K BP.

Nice. I just want to get upgrades and stuff out of the way so I can focus on learning the game better for higher difficulties.

Revven

Just a few tips for everyone that is having trouble with the final boss. I was in the same position last night and it took me a long ass time, but I eventually managed to defeat him, and here is what I learned.

At least once you actually do want to cut the debris he throws at you, this is because afterwards you can pick up 4 health packs which makes the boss fight much easier. Afterwards just run forward to avoid the attack. Also on the second piece of debris, tilt the left stick up so Raiden has a better view of it, otherwise you will miss.

When Armstrong starts to glow green and regenerate health, use blade mode to slice his back. I guess for a lot of people this isn't a problem, but for me personally I had no idea what to do, and it cost me a fight that I would have won otherwise had I known.

Spoiler 1
is really helpful, I think last night I completely screwed up the second boulder all the time because I never aimed with the left stick.

well another broken controller

Yikes, final boss caused that? I mean I got mad but... not enough to throw my controller or anything.

I said 19.

Oh well, don't use the Pincers, lol

Wave one: The dogs are just stupid easy. Wail on them with light attacks/slide+follow-up/launchers, QTE, shouldn't take more then 30 seconds

Wave two: Perfect parry Swordmasters. Best two ways to do it: when they're doing that multi-strike upper attack(as in they swing from above and you gotta parry all 4-5 of them), let one hit you, then IMMEDIATELY parry the next hit and you're stun him for a QTE. Or, you can perfect parry the forward strike of his, then perfect parry dance, parry when his sword glows yellow).

Then it's just the dog, who again, is very easy, you can stinger-Blade Mode Cancel all day if you want, and the two hammer bros. You stun one with the purple Sai, then bait the other to attack, and take advantage of their loooooong recovery time. Focus your attacks on one, because once one is gone, you can just purple sai, mash light attack, rinse and repeat without any danger of being hit.

Then finally you got four dogs, which sounds difficult, until to you remember the same strategy applies because they're kinda stupid. They don't even attack you off-screen 99% of the time, they'll just stand around watching their buddy get worked.

njean777

Spoiler 1
is really helpful, I think last night I completely screwed up the second boulder all the time because I never aimed with the left stick.

Yikes, final boss caused that?

yes, I didnt actually mean to break it. I just hit it once. Didn't even throw it or anything but now the left joystick sticks and the camera constantly moves. But I will beat this boss, I just hate this Zandestu part. I really hate it.

Gartooth

Spoiler 1

Yikes, final boss caused that? I mean I got mad but... not enough to throw my controller or anything.

Yeah,
he will throw 3 pieces of debris at you. The first and third shouldn't be too hard, but the second one is what causes grief. (from my own experiences and what I've heard online) Also after the third piece of debris Armstrong will jump at you, all you have to do is slice him where the game tells you to though. Again pretty easy as long as you can get past the second piece of debris. After the sequence just make a dash for the health items and you should be good.

This game is super weird. It took 3 hours to beat Sam, and I can't fight more than one enemy at the same time (hard) but the final boss was stupid easy and I beat him in 3 tries. The first time I just got pummled. The second I made it to where the life drops. The third time I won with +5 health bars left. He's brutal strong but not as bad as I thought it would be.

I'm still not very good at this game so I don't know how much more I will play. I tried some VR missions and I'm not even close to ranking on them so I'm not sure if I will spend the time to figure out how to be great. I can't even imagine beating any boss in this game without getting hit once.

Top Bottom