• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

No kidding, when I saw the Fenrirs in R-00 after getting knocked to 45%, I said "fuck this" and just sliced through the fence.

The ray battle was pretty cool, though. It was much more aggressive than usual, and unlike the previous modes (where you can initiate the sword sequence after destroying the legs and guns), I think the developers were expecting players to parry and destroy the tail, since it still had 25%+ life after destroying the guns and legs.

If you parry Ray's headbutts, you will be prompted to destroy its shoulder turrets and the armor on the top of his head(as opposed to the second phase where you can only destroy the armor on the bottom of its head). Basicallly, parry everything ever.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I've not been keeping up, so how long is the story mode on average?

Generally speaking the campaign is anywhere from 8-9 hours give or take, depending on skill and difficulty.

Even with that stupid helicopter constantly shooting at you? I tried killing it but it was never close enough.

It just takes one homing missile to take it out. Don't try to melee it, and you don't have to be close to fire the missile. Another chopper takes its place over time, but you can just take that one out too before it starts firing.

MormaPope

Banned
I seriously need a trick to get the boulder slice to work. I run out of time way too quickly and I struggle to line it up. Oh how I wish Move support was added...

Move the camera, I couldn't get the right position after dozens of attempts but once I read here that moving the camera helps I sliced through that shit like butter.

You can almost move the camera enough that it becomes a sideways cut instead of a diagonal one.

Midou

But I need the health. Edit: and the extra damage that sequence dishes.

Yeah, I went back and got 5 healing items saved for final boss, the extra damage is good, but I kept fucking up the cutting, so I just took it slow.

Moving the camera does help, but my hands were so numb from hours of play, that eventually I couldn't do it. :p

Wow, no damage Sundowner run was super easy. 4/5 down. Just got the final boss.

Heh, good luck with that one. Once he hits you during
fisticuff part
, there's a checkpoint right before the next QTE, so there's no way to restart that shit. You gotta get it all in one go after a certain point.

Move the camera, I couldn't get the right position after dozens of attempts but once I read here that moving the camera helps I sliced through that shit like butter.

You can almost move the camera enough that it becomes a sideways cut instead of a diagonal one.
Thanks. I've moved the camera while also fiddling with the position. Maybe I shouldn't. Is there a VR mission that I can practice something like that? That'd be really helpful.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Heh, good luck with that one. Once he hits you during
fisticuff part
, there's a checkpoint right before the next QTE, so there's no way to restart that shit. You gotta get it all in one go after a certain point.

Yeah, I tried it the other day and the same thing happened to me. It's only a certain hit that starts the next checkpoint, though. You can get hit with other stuff and restart as necessary. It's the last one! Maybe I'll save it for tomorrow.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Even with that stupid helicopter constantly shooting at you? I tried killing it but it was never close enough.

Sundowner does nothing

Just shoot it down with quick shot homing launcher while he's busy going on about how invincible he is behind his shield

I was initially disappointed that Raiden doesn't have a taunt button, but then I realized the dodge move is almost a taunt, especially against the final boss, you're essentially toying with him by gently side-stepping his devastating swings and tapping him on the back.

FUUUUUUCK

It took me 3 hours of re-tries to beat Sam on hard, then I accidentally find the magic strategy and run through him 1 try later. ARRRGGGGHH at least he's done.

Raxus

The Konami Code isn't working for me for whatever reason. Am I doing something wrong? Is my controller just that stupid?

ironcreed

Banned
Game is pretty hot so far. Very interesting gameplay once you get into the flow of it. Camera can be annoying in hectic situations, but I can deal with it. No worse than Ninja Gaiden in that regard.

So after finishing the game tonight, I'm gonna have to lower my initial praise a bit. The game is extremely short, and the second half was meh. The high point was probably everything up till the octopus chick. The game is extrmely short, I expected a bit more than that. Also, the speeches were pretty much all childish, and laughably, eye-rollingly bad, more so than any previous MGS game. Just so simplistic, and for me had an overall negative effect on my enjoyment of it. This is from someone who never had any problem with the lines/story in any other MGS game. The story pretty much was vague, all over the place, and non-sensical, hitting on the same, boring themes we've always gotten. All the speeches about AMERICA this and that were the worst, and so cliched. THE ECONOMY OF WAR. Yeah, we get it.

Just S ranked Monsoon on Revengeance with no damage, thought I'd leave some tips

Setup: Fully upgraded Murasama, fully upgraded Pincer Blades.

1. When the fight starts, parry him then go to town. Mix in the pincer blades with dodge offset for massive damage to stagger him.

2. Look for the tell of his smoke bomb. I believe he puts his hands up, then on his hips. Dodge in any direction when you see this.

3. Don't be afraid to lay into him. He'll easily stagger with enough damage.

4. IMPORTANT. After he throws crap at you and returns to the ground, EM grenade him and knock his head away. NOW THIS IS FUCKING IMPORTANT. GO NEXT TO HIS HEAD AND CHARGE THE PINCER BLADES. RELEASE WHEN HE'S WHOLE AGAIN FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE.

5. Parry his rolling ball of junk (really easy) twice to skip that part.

6. When the song vocals kick in, you'll have to parry him a bunch. Parry his left hand, then his right hand, then his legs. Don't mash parries out too fast. When his upper body is floating around, EM grenade, knock off his head, then pincer. You'll have to survive one more round of crap. After that, EM grenade+pincer should end it.

General tip: You'll need to mash out parries against him. Always input another parry just as your previous parry connects.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
My biggest problem with the game after beating it is that the second half gets really redundant. The pace is just not good. It felt like the end of an 8 bit mega man.

What's with the first-person view during
Monsoon's speech
? It's the only time in the game where it happens. Seems like there must be some sort of easter egg in there, but I haven't found one.

Gartooth

Having a shit ton of fun with the game up to this point, but now I'm having a hell of a time at the second phase of the final boss. I have no health items, and for the life of me can't beat
Armstrong due to the part where he throws debris at you that you need to cut or else you die.
Can anyone offer assistance on this?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Having a shit ton of fun with the game up to this point, but now I'm having a hell of a time at the second phase of the final boss. I have no health items, and for the life of me can't beat
Armstrong due to the part where he throws debris at you that you need to cut or else you die.
Can anyone offer assistance on this?

Two things:

First, if you CAN cut those, they all drop nanopaste. Like, 4 packs or so. You need to line up with the red line but it's somehwat lenient even if you miss it a bit.

Second, you can ninja run away and dodge the debris. But it's the only source of health in the fight, so you'll have to take him out on that one bar of health you have if you take this route.

My biggest problem with the game after beating it is that the second half gets really redundant. The pace is just not good. It felt like the end of an 8 bit mega man.

Yup. It lost momentum dramatically, and the shitty story which really went nowhere interesting didn't help. Pretty much the complete opposite of every single other MG game I've played, where things got more and more intense until the very end, even with much longer games. It's sad, cause I was blown away by the first couple hrs, then the rest left a bad taste in my mouth.

Also, I couldn't help to think how much this game would have been helped with first rate writing/voice acting like in Uncharted instead of the hilariously (unintentionally) stupid lines it employed.

Kaizer

Banned
Damn, cutting
Sundowner's
shields at just the right angle is a pain in the ASS. Cursed so many times in the past 20 minutes.

I just beat the game! Overall the game was some of the most fun I've had this generation. The last couple chapters felt oddly short compared to the first half, but for me the game was constantly delivering thrills so I didn't really mind. Combat was a reward in and of itself for me. My only problem was with the jittery camera and the half baked stealth, otherwise everything from the cutting mechanics to the music just felt top notch.

The boss fights are probably the best I've seen in this generation. I'd put them up in terms of quality alongside legendary boss fights like Vergil (DMC3) and Jeanne (Bayonetta). The dynamic music only served to enhance the intensity of these fights. Easily the best parts about the game.

I'd give the game somewhere between a 9/10 and a 10/10. Not perfect, but pretty damn near close to it. A contender for game of the generation for me.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
6. When the song vocals kick in, you'll have to parry him a bunch. Parry his left hand, then his right hand, then his legs. Don't mash parries out too fast. When his upper body is floating around, EM grenade, knock off his head, then pincer. You'll have to survive one more round of crap. After that, EM grenade+pincer should end it.

If you parry his hands and get the following counter hit to hit his body, it'll put him in zandatsu state straight up. without having to do his legs and upper body patterns

Worth going for since his hands are alot easier to deal with than his following patterns

If you parry his hands and get the following counter hit to hit his body, it'll put him in zandatsu state straight up. without having to do his legs and upper body patterns

Worth going for since his hands are alot easier to handle than the following patterns

His body is at the other side of the arena at that part.

Not enjoying the second ranked battle in chapter 4. Ahh why does there have to be a barrier to the lobby, I want to chop people up, the turrets are just too cumbersome and lack punch in Revengeance difficulty.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
yeah I didn't know you could even dodge the smoke bomb lol

glad there are ways to avoid his most annoying shit. really interesting boss

Monocle

This game is fucking amazing. No major complaints. Deserves a spot on the shelf next to Bayonetta, and doesn't disappoint as an MGS game either. Well done Platinum.

Generally speaking the campaign is anywhere from 8-9 hours give or take, depending on skill.

Ahhh, that's almost double the time everyone has been completing it in. More like 4-5 hours to beat the campaign.

I'd give the game somewhere between a 9/10 and a 10/10. Not perfect, but pretty damn near close to it. A contender for game of the generation for me.

BWHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!

yeah I didn't know you could even dodge the smoke bomb lol

glad there are ways to avoid his most annoying shit. really interesting boss

Believe me, my jaw was on the floor when I tried the pincer blades for the first time against him. A flawless fight should look like this:

1. Parry, land a few hits
2. Dodge smoke bomb
3. Attack him until he's triggers the first junk throwing sequence, should be around 67%
4. EM grenade, pincer, dodge more junk, repeat until 40%
5. Parry rolling junk twice then destroy it
6. Deal with limbs, EM grenade, pincer
7. More junk, EM, pincer
8. Destroy last rolling junk
9. Done

Though weird shit can happen. One time I somehow skipped the song vocals and first rolling junk. He went to phase two automatically. It's also possible to avoid getting smoke bombed when he's higher than 67%. IDK how the hell that happened.

Really simple boss if you use the pincers. Still fun as hell though.

Now it's confession time. When I S ranked Monsoon and everything before him with no damage on Revengeance, I somehow missed the first fight of that chapter. Instant A rank. Um...does anyone know where the first ranked fight of R-03 is? : (

Perfect Parry does CRAAAAAAAAZY damage on Revengeance mode.

spoiler about ch.6 boss

Very Hard: Perfect parry the last hit of his four-hit combo, does a normal amount of damage

Rev: same thing, health goes from 90s to 30s, lol

That's how you S-Rank Rev mode, ya'll: Perfect Parry EVERYTHING. The mode is built around you're mastering that parry window for everybody and demolishing everything

edit: LOOK AT THIS SHIT!

Ahhh, that's almost double the time everyone has been completing it in. More like 4-5 hours to beat the campaign.

BWHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!

It's definitely my game of the generation. I'll end up getting more than 100 hours out of this game as I have with the original Viewtiful Joe, Godhand, Vanquish, Bayonetta, etc.

It's one of the most amazing things I've personally played.

Just S-Ranked R-01 and got the trophy for no damage vs. Mistral. Feel good, man.

Also, I didn't know that you could cut the arms off of her suit during the battle. I was rather surprised to come down off of a crazy Blade Mode flurry only to see her standing there with only 2 arms x_x

strobogo

Banned
It took me about an hour and a half of tries to beat Sam. What a cunt of a boss. Reminded me of a 16 bit boss battle in terms of ramp up of difficulty. Felt great finally beating him. I beat most of the game without any parrying. Hopefully the replay will be easier with better timing.

Lunar15

Anyone have any good tutorial videos on advanced techniques? I feel like I'm *this* close to getting down the flow of the game, but some parts still feel off. Still loving it though. And although it's been said a ton of times already, the dynamic soundtrack during boss fights is incredible.

Gartooth

OK I haven't had any major trouble with the game until now, but the final boss is annoying the shit out of me and I can't complete it for all the wrong reasons. Another quick question:

What the hell do I do when Armstrong glows green? He recharges his health and conventional attacks aren't working for me.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
OK I haven't had any major trouble with the game until now, but the final boss is annoying the shit out of me and I can't complete it for all the wrong reasons. Another quick question:

What the hell do I do when Armstrong glows green? He recharges his health and conventional attacks aren't working for me.

Zandatsu his back.

Top Bottom