• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
ha ha wow, its like the anti-thesis of the Fox Blade in every way!

Yeah pretty much. After Hard, I upgraded Fox Blade and just beat Easy in like 2.5 hours trying to get as many collectables as possible. Got all the MIBs but I don't have all the hands or data pieces yet ahhhhh.

eshwaaz

I feel like the camera is actively conspiring against my attempts to have fun. There's so much to like here, but holy shit the camera is atrocious.

Shouta

Beat my first run last night on Hard. The game is pretty good albeit short. I wish it actually went on a bit longer and there was a little more variety in enemies but what was there was pretty good. The story was fairly simple and easy to understand but it lacked the character interaction and exposition to really help it. I spent a few hours on the last boss because he hit so hard and I had only 1 Healing pack. I couldn't get the damn cutting down correctly for awhile too, woof. It's a pretty good boss fight though otherwise.

The giant scissors suck as a weapon and the Sai isn't super great, which kind of sucks because the spear is fantastic.

Overall, I like the game but I am a bit disappointed with it because of its length and could've used a bit more variety.

Last Boss
How in the GOOD FUCK do I cut the debris he throws at me, at my wits end here

USE BOTH ANALOG STICKS to adjust the guideline

and QUICK CUT with the attack buttons don't try try to pull the analog stick back or any of that nonsense, it takes a few moments to line it up, but its EXTREMELY forgiving.

follow that to the letter, and you'll be fine and you'll get 4 health packs/nano pastes a few moments later when the debris drops.
The giant scissors suck as a weapon and the Sai isn't super great, which kind of sucks because the spear is fantastic.
actually it doesn't, you just don't know how to use it efficiently, nothing wrong with that, its not spelled out.

Nemesis_

Anyone know why I didn't get an S ranking for the Sundowner battle? On Revengeance mode ?

I didn't take any damage, did it pretty quickly. My max combo was 22.

I got an A, which negates the 11 other S's so I have to do the WHOLE FUCKING MISSION again :(

Anyone know why I didn't get an S ranking for the Sundowner battle?

I got an A, which negates the 11 other S's so I have to do the WHOLE FUCKING MISSION again :(

you got a no damage bonus for sure?

Gartooth

I feel like the camera is actively conspiring against my attempts to have fun. There's so much to like here, but holy shit the camera is atrocious.

Easily worst thing about the game, I've find myself facing an onslaught of enemies, and having to fight the camera itself at the same time. Makes it a pain when you are getting tagged by everyone, and you can't even parry because the camera is stuck in the worst possible spot.

Nemesis_

you got a no damage bonus for sure?

Yeah, it even popped up and awarded the extra points.

The only other thing I can think of is farm helicopter kills until it's higher enough to bump me over. But that's annoying, and takes longer, and also leads to more time at risk of being damaged by stray machine gun fire

Anyone know why I didn't get an S ranking for the Sundowner battle? On Revengeance mode ?

You need 50 hits for the max combo bonus, which is pretty doable if you juggle him with the launcher and ground light attacks.

Here's a good tip for Revengeance mode S-Ranking: BACK UP YOUR SAVES! Before any boss fight, go back to title, copy your current file onto another file. That way if you fuck up, you can just reload that back-up file instead of doing EVERYTHING all over again.

Astral

Beat my first run last night on Hard. The game is pretty good albeit short. I wish it actually went on a bit longer and there was a little more variety in enemies but what was there was pretty good. The story was fairly simple and easy to understand but it lacked the character interaction and exposition to really help it. I spent a few hours on the last boss because he hit so hard and I had only 1 Healing pack. I couldn't get the damn cutting down correctly for awhile too, woof. It's a pretty good boss fight though otherwise.

Overall, I like the game but I am a bit disappointed with it because of its length and could've used a bit more variety.

The charge attacks for the Pincer Blades grant you super armor and knocks enemies the fuck down. The Sai's purple attacks stun everything and make the GRADs a joke.

Revven

I BEAT HIIIIIIIIM!!! YESSSS! After an hour, too. Jesus... I swear the first half of the fight you have to get the right pattern you want to do as much damage as possible. It's so RNG at the start it's not even funny.

Once you get the first boulder sequence right, you HAVE to play it pretty damn safe. Stunning him when you can before the first boulder sequence helps a lot, so keep mashing Square and then do a heavy attack right as he's about to be done charging a move. I was able to get him down to 155% health before the first boulder sequence would occur. Getting the QTE also helps get you there but I wouldn't rely on it.

Overall, aside from the huge difficulty spike at the end there I still love the game. Will I try Very Hard? Noooooo, except for unlocking stuff if need be. I don't even want to try Revengeance without fully upgrading Raiden. And even then, I don't think I'm going to play through the story again in full for at least a week. I'm just gonna work on upgrading Raiden via chapter select.

USE BOTH ANALOG STICKS to adjust the guideline

and QUICK CUT with the attack buttons don't try try to pull the analog stick back or any of that nonsense, it takes a few moments to line it up, but its EXTREMELY forgiving.

follow that to the letter, and you'll be fine and you'll get 4 health packs/nano pastes a few moments later when the debris drops.

actually it doesn't, you just don't know how to use it efficiently, nothing wrong with that, its not spelled out.

Appreciate the help but this is quickly approaching controller breaking territory for me

Final boss: Also quick question, when he starts regaining health, you just have to slow mo from behind right? Or do you have to line that up as well? I thought you just attacked from the back but then suddenly I tried again and he destroyed me.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Final boss: Also quick question, when he starts regaining health, you just have to slow mo from behind right? Or do you have to line that up as well? I thought you just attacked from the back but then suddenly I tried again and he destroyed me.

You just run behind him, go into blade mode, and aim for the red box, as usual.

Mupod

Struggling with Sundowner. Any tips? You have to perfectly align the blade on the highlighted parts is shield, right?

Cheers!
You need to hit all of the highlighted points, yes. I'd advise practicing this because it's a useful skill, if you take my meaning.

That's not all though, when you parry his charge attack and see the 'arms' holding the panels highlighted in light blue, cut them.

Nemesis_

You need 50 hits for the max combo bonus, which is pretty doable if you juggle him with the launcher and ground light attacks.

Here's a good tip for Revengeance mode S-Ranking: BACK UP YOUR SAVES! Before any boss fight, go back to title, copy your current file onto another file. That way if you fuck up, you can just reload that back-up file instead of doing EVERYTHING all over again.

Oh, in the game? Not onto a USB via the dashboard/XMB? I might try that next time

I BEAT HIIIIIIIIM!!! YESSSS! After an hour, too. Jesus... I swear the first half of the fight you have to get the right pattern you want to do as much damage as possible. It's so RNG at the start it's not even funny.

Once you get the first boulder sequence right, you HAVE to play it pretty damn safe. Stunning him when you can before the first boulder sequence helps a lot, so keep mashing Square and then do a heavy attack right as he's about to be done charging a move. I was able to get him down to 155% health before the first boulder sequence would occur. Getting the QTE also helps get you there but I wouldn't rely on it.

Overall, aside from the huge difficulty spike at the end there I still love the game. Will I try Very Hard? Noooooo, except for unlocking stuff if need be. I don't even want to try Revengeance without fully upgrading Raiden. And even then, I don't think I'm going to play through the story again in full for at least a week. I'm just gonna work on upgrading Raiden via chapter select.

kudo's for doing it through perserverance, but i would rely on that boulder sequence, rely on it HARD.. a lot of people are dying multiple time because they have no life left to work through his damaging attacks, especially if they have not mastered dodging..

4 nanopastess/health packs are the difference between spending 30 minutes on that boss battle and spending 2 hours on it.

there's a box you have to hit, kinda like the one you hit to get a spine. miss it and he'll clock you.

Appreciate the help but this is quickly approaching controller breaking territory for me

get it right and you have more health to work with, plus you'll look forward to those sequences the next time you play..

Struggling with Sundowner. Any tips? You have to perfectly align the blade on the highlighted parts is shield, right?

Cheers!

i didn't have the patience, i actually just zipped behind him and slashed at his back and he quit holding them up, he was easier than monsoon to me, goading him into doing his sheild up rush gets you a quick time you can exploit

Revven

4 nanopastess/health packs are the difference between spending 30 minutes on that boss battle and spending 2 hours on it.t

I mean yeah, you want to do the first boulder sequence to get the 4 nanopastes. I'm saying that's what I did. The second, third, or fourth time he does the boulder sequence though I didn't take any chances and just avoided doing them.

Also, it should be noted that on Hard if you have 160% life (fully upgraded through the customization and one extra Endurance from a chapter) can live a boulder sequence if you fuck up; leaving you with 10% life left. So the boulder sequence isn't exactly an OHKO.

BurningNad

After smashing my head against the last boss all of last night and failing EVERY time on the boulder blade mode part, I start it up today and not only get the boulder part every time perfectly, but manage to beat him in half an hour, with a few shit attempts in the beginning.

Guess I leveled up over night!

Beat it on Hard, time to start Very Hard, or maybe do some VR missions. Awesome game, worth every penny. I'll probably start Vanquish up too, once I am done ODing on this. :lol

Neiteio

THE FINAL BOSS IS THE BEST FINAL BOSS EVER. I've been slow to complete this game since I've been busy lately, but holy smokes! Just finished it last night and seriously, this is the most delightfully batshit INSANE that Metal Gear has EVER been.

The final boss is a friggin'
Tea Party nutjob with nano-tech hardening his skin in response to physical trauma
, fighting you friggin'
barechested in the wreck of Metal Gear Excelsius
, unleashing friggin'
LAVA FLOWS and FIRE WAVES and GIANT BUNDLES OF SHIT.
Thank god for the last one, though -- Blade Mode just a few of the targets in each row that pops up to split the incoming projectile, and then thwack the boss himself to reap lots of repair nanopaste. You don't have to line up the targets perfectly in Blade Mode, either -- just hit most of them each time and you'll split his projectile, and then spam horizontal or vertical strikes to hit the boss himself. Other than that, simply using dodge (X+Square) to repeatedly circle the boss and backing off a bit when he fires up is key to success. Oh, and using Circle to pick up your goddamn sword when you lose it -- took me a moment to fgure that out, lol.

But holy shit, I wish I could rewatch his cutscenes in game, he really was an obscenely awesome character, the sort of villainous shitface you'd dismiss as absurdist fan fiction if it weren't in an actual game, and yet when it IS in an actual game, it's pure unbridled awesomeness. I'm replaying that shit today, goddamn.

Guess Who

Banned

Cheers!

You can do practically the whole fight without ever dealing with that attack. Stay close, attack from behind as much as you can, and use the dodge move to avoid his attacks, don't bother parrying.

THE FINAL BOSS IS THE BEST FINAL BOSS EVER. I've been slow to complete this game since I've been busy lately, but holy smokes! Just finished it last night and seriously, this is the most delightfully batshit INSANE that Metal Gear has EVER been.

Tea Party nutjob with nano-tech hardening his skin in response to physical trauma
, fighting you friggin'
, unleashing friggin'
Thank god for the last one, though -- Blade Mode just a few of the targets in each row that pops up to split the incoming projectile, and then thwack the boss himself to reap lots of repair nanopaste. You don't have to line up the targets perfectly in Blade Mode, either -- just hit most of them each time and you'll split his projectile, and then spam horizontal or vertical strikes to hit the boss himself. Other than that, simply using dodge (X+Square) to repeatedly circle the boss and backing off a bit when he fires up is key to success. Oh, and using Circle to pick up your goddamn sword when you lose it -- took me a moment to fgure that out, lol.

But holy shit, I wish I could rewatch his cutscenes in game, he really was an obscenely awesome character, the sort of villainous shitface you'd dismiss as absurdist fan fiction if it weren't in an actual game, and yet when it IS in an actual game, it's pure unbridled awesomeness. I'm replaying that shit today, goddamn.

ha ha, i agree broski, that was a glorious ending battle, made you EARN the right to say you finished the game.

I mean yeah, you want to do the first boulder sequence to get the 4 nanopastes. I'm saying that's what I did. The second, third, or fourth time he does the boulder sequence though I didn't take any chances and just avoided doing them.

Also, it should be noted that on Hard if you have 160% life (fully upgraded through the customization and one extra Endurance from a chapter) can live a boulder sequence if you fuck up; leaving you with 10% life left. So the boulder sequence isn't exactly an OHKO.

ah, i got ya, he never lived to do more than 2 with me, bu i was playing on normal :p

Revven

, fighting you friggin'
, unleashing friggin'

I loved all of it too, despite how hard it was. Platinum Games knows what's what!

duckroll

It's funny how every day this thread gets a bunch of posts which either go "WORST FINAL BOSS EVER, FUCK" or "BEST FINAL BOSS EVER, OMG" with a bunch of people agreeing with either type of post. I can't wait to get there myself, but it sure sounds divisive! Lol.

It's funny how every day this thread gets a bunch of posts which either go "WORST FINAL BOSS EVER, FUCK" or "BEST FINAL BOSS EVER, OMG" with a bunch of people agreeing with either type of post. I can't wait to get there myself, but it sure sounds divisive! Lol.

It really is one of the best Bosses, because it is totally insane from start to finish. Once you figure out that one part it is pure fun.

Seik

Banned
Oh my, just reached the final boss! :O

I thought the fight was done at least two times. ;_;

At first I thought he was a bit ordinary, not to say disappointing.

But with them nanomachines, holy shit!

Though the guy remind me a bit of this video by moments.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Metal Gear Rising was originally going to be an open world game

Back then, the game was still called Metal Gear Solid Rising, and it was going to take place between Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 4. The idea was to make an open world game were Raiden could go explore and undertake various assassination missions. However, the team didn’t manage to succeed in combining all the different ideas in a coherent game.

Kojima cancelled the game, and Platinum Games started over. Some elements of the orginal concept were still used though, such as Shinkawa’s character designs and the Zandatsu and cut at will mechanics.

Kojima has praised the Assassin’s Creed series several times, and references to the games could be found in Metal Gear Solid 4 (Altair costume) and Peace Walker. Assassin’s Creed II also featured an unlockable Raiden costume.

The original script for the game, about how Raiden became a cyborg somewhere between Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 4, still exists, and Kojima doesn’t exclude the possibility of it still being made into a game in the future, although there are no concrete plans at the moment.

Fucking impossible. Just went from I love this game to this game is getting traded in within the next hour. Fuck.

dude, are you adjusting with both analog sticks? and hitting the attack button to cut when you get it as close as you can? you don't have to be exact, just in the general direction, the 4 nanopastes you get will get you through the rest,
just remember to blade mode cut his back where the red square is to stop his regenerating..

Neiteio

He's really tough, but just remember this:

+ When he charges up with fire, quickly hit him a few times and then back the fuck off since he's about unleash one of several area attacks.

+ If the fire attack is a blast, keep running, because he usually shoots a second one.

+ After most fire attacks -- especially the ones where he's behind a wall of flame -- he'll burst through the flame, closing the distance between you and him in a lunging strike. In other words, be ready to parry.

+ When he's trying to tackle you, dodge with X+Square, tapping left or right while doing so to circle around him. He'll never grab you this way, and you'll stay close enough to keep hitting him.

+ He'll heal himself back to 200% health at least two times during the battle. Stop him with Blade Mode.

+ When he throws his massive projectile -- RELAX, and use Blade Mode. You'll have to swipe it several times, cutting along a string of four targets each time, similar to Sundowner's shields. Thing is, you only need to hit the majority of the targets. Then be ready to hit the boss himself, who will be right behind his projectile -- just spam horizontal or vertical strikes to smack his face. You'll get repair nanopaste this way.

+ When you drop your sword, you can pick it up with Circle.

SO FUN.

dude, are you adjusting with both analog sticks? and hitting the attack button to cut when you get it as close as you can? you don't have to be exact, just in the general direction, the 4 nanopastes you get will get you through the rest,
just remember to blade mode cut his back where the red square is to stop his regenerating..

Im doing everything you say, but I can't get them all lined up

Zukuu

Banned
After waiting for over 2 hours, Kojima finally arrived. After 20 minutes a security guy screamed "you can go all home, he'll leave in 30 minutes", and sent away 95%+ of the waiting line. In thosee 20 minutes I forwarded maybe 2 meter. He'll have signed 50 times max (over a thousand+ waiting). WTF was he doing so slowly?! dissapointed²³²³

Neiteio

He's really tough, but just remember this:

+ When he charges up with fire, quickly hit him a few times and then back the fuck off since he's about unleash one of several area attacks.

+ If the fire attack is a blast, keep running, because he usually shoots a second one.

+ After most fire attacks -- especially the ones where he's behind a wall of flame -- he'll burst through the flame, closing the distance between you and him in a lunging strike. In other words, be ready to parry.

+ When he's trying to tackle you, dodge with X+Square, tapping left or right while doing so to circle around him. He'll never grab you this way, and you'll stay close enough to keep hitting him.

+ He'll heal himself back to 200% health at least two times during the battle. Stop him with Blade Mode.

+ When he throws his massive projectile -- RELAX, and use Blade Mode. You'll have to swipe it several times, cutting along a string of four targets each time, similar to Sundowner's shields. Thing is, you only need to hit the majority of the targets. Then be ready to hit the boss himself, who will be right behind his projectile -- just spam horizontal or vertical strikes to smack his face. You'll get repair nanopaste this way.

+ When you drop your sword, you can pick it up with Circle.

SO FUN.
Just bumping this to the next page to hopefully help some people with the last boss.

LAST BOSS SPOILERS, DON'T VIEW UNTIL YOU'RE THERE..
+ He'll heal himself back to 200% health at least two times during the battle. Just let him heal.

WATTTTT?!! NOOOOOO, DO NOT DO THAT!!
do THIS
get behind him and go blade mode, there's a spot on his back with a red square, hit it and he's be dazed for free hits dude..don't let him heal unless you want to fight him for 20 minutes straight-

Endo Punk

Finished the fight with Monsoon. Not really playing with grades in mind for my first playthrough, I just love experimenting and seeing every nook and cranny for the secrets, even gameplay wise I'm finding attacks that the demo didn't have for the blade. Charged light attack move is so damn cool.

Top Bottom