• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Nemesis_

Fucking hell. Just did a no-damage Sam run too and I still got an A.

This game is pissing me off with it's schizophrenic ratings system. I'm going to bed. ;_;

Neiteio

Added spoiler tags, sorry. I thought I saw casual conversation about him earlier.

EDIT: Wow, re:
healing
, I think I actually did that Blade Mode trick at one point, but wasn't sure if he'd just stopped early regardless.

ArchAngel

After all the talk about NG+ I just tried it. You can go to the chapter select or just press continue. Your stats are missing in the 00 chapter beacause of the story. After the 5 minute gameplay you get almost everything back :)

Just for the info because some people said NG+ is only in chapter select.

GrayFoxPL

He's really tough, but just remember this:

+ When he charges up with fire, quickly hit him a few times and then back the fuck off since he's about unleash one of several area attacks.

+ If the fire attack is a blast, keep running, because he usually shoots a second one.

+ After most fire attacks -- especially the ones where he's behind a wall of flame -- he'll burst through the flame, closing the distance between you and him in a lunging strike. In other words, be ready to parry.

+ When he's trying to tackle you, dodge with X+Square, tapping left or right while doing so to circle around him. He'll never grab you this way, and you'll stay close enough to keep hitting him.

+ He'll heal himself back to 200% health at least two times during the battle. Just let him heal.

+ When he throws his massive projectile -- RELAX, and use Blade Mode. You'll have to swipe it several times, cutting along a string of four targets each time, similar to Sundowner's shields. Thing is, you only need to hit the majority of the targets. Then be ready to hit the boss himself, who will be right behind his projectile -- just spam horizontal or vertical strikes to smack his face. You'll get repair nanopaste this way.

+ When you drop your sword, you can pick it up with Circle.

SO FUN.

This is wrong. When he heals you must run up to him and use blade mode. A target around the head should pop up. That way you stop him healing.
Badass game. Though camera is shit. Gray Fox outfit rocks but 200000 credits for Fox Blade is crazy, you still need to upgrade it later.

Monsoon is a fucking dick. I hate this battle.

Neiteio

I started off with hate but began to love it as I figured it out. It's just a huge difficulty spike that not everyone may be willing to adjust to.
Many people seem averse to challenging and/or unconventional systems or scenarios these days. There are bound to be some put off who won't bother to learn. Which is fine -- everyone enjoys things differently. :)

Nemesis_

This is wrong. When he heals you must run up to him and use blade mode. A target around the head should pop up. That way you stop him healing.

Badass game. Though camera is shit. Gray Fox outfit rocks but 200000 credits for Fox Blade is crazy, you still need to upgrade it later.

The FOX Blade is overpowered, it's highly priced for a very good reason.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I feel bad for people who dislike the final fight because they are missing out on badass levels of win and america.

Neiteio

I feel bad for people who dislike the final fight because they are missing out on badass levels of win and america.
Oh man, I expected fucking eagles and a waving American flag at one point.

Beating the shit out of the ugly apathteic side of America is FUN!

Carbonox

Aye, I think
the Muramasa
is a perfect balance. Great for S ranks, very strong to help clear out battles a hell of a quicker but not too strong to the point of ruining rankings.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
It's funny how every day this thread gets a bunch of posts which either go "WORST FINAL BOSS EVER, FUCK" or "BEST FINAL BOSS EVER, OMG" with a bunch of people agreeing with either type of post. I can't wait to get there myself, but it sure sounds divisive! Lol.

I'm in the minority who hated the boss. He was fun and a worthy last boss. The character though, is so fucking absurd.
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

dan2026

I still cant block combos very well. I'm trying to fight
Sam
in the desert now.
But he attacks so fast I can only block the first one.

GrayFoxPL

Fox Blade stops being effective after few chapters (on hard). It doesn't super cut anymore and does pitiful damage so you must upgrade it for another 100 000 to be effective again. Not counting every other normal upgrade.

spoiler tag duder

Fox Blade stops being effective after few chapters (on hard). It doesn't super cut anymore and does pitiful damage so you must upgrade it for another 100 000 to be effective again. Not counting every other normal upgrade.

when i got the second cut frequency enhancement, every single non boss enemy gets cut..EVERY..SINGLE..ONE..bosses are absolutely immune though.

I think their issue with it is how it
descends into parody. It doesn't fit at all with the tone set by every other level in the game.

I had fun with it but the reason people dislike it isn't nonsense.

Revven

Many people seem averse to challenging and/or unconventional systems or scenarios these days. There are bound to be some put off who won't bother to learn. Which is fine -- everyone enjoys things differently. :)

Like, I wasn't expecting it but damn I love a challenge in this day and age. It's hard to find any games nowadays that actually challenge you; even when you pick a higher difficulty. This is difficulty in its purest and most rawest form and god damn I felt so good when I beat him after how many times I tried.

Just perfected Sam. It was pretty easy, but his bullcrap rock fling attack made me start again three times. I definitely appreciate his battle theme a lot more now, at least!

GrayFoxPL

when i got the second cut frequency enhancement, every single non boss enemy gets cut..EVERY..SINGLE..ONE..bosses are absolutely immune though.

Nice.

Any tips on
Monsoon boss?
Feels so drawn out, that I'm missing something. When he's "salad" mode nothing works on him beside emp grenade. Is there any way to hit him when he's like that beside emp?

The only boss I have problem with.

Nice.

Any tips on
Monsoon boss?
Feels so drawn out, that I'm missing something. When he's "salad" mode nothing works on him beside emp grenade. Is there any way to hit him when he's like that beside emp?

The only boss I have problem with.

Continue to parry every one of his hits and eventually you will be able to counter hit him, then blade mode when the screen turns blue to hit the little thing on his head. This will allow you to strike him since he cannot activate his "salad" mode.

GrayFoxPL

Just tried this no joke, about 100 times. Gotta walk away before I break something.

Leave it for tomorrow. I didn't have time to finish it one night left it and next morning fresh mind and 4 minutes - done. Leave it when you're rested.

Continue to parry every one of his hits and eventually you will be able to counter hit him, then blade mode when the screen turns blue to hit the little thing on his head. This will allow you to strike him since he cannot activate his "salad" mode.

Thanks!

jett

D-Member
Revengeance is some truly hard shit. Even infinite fuel cell is not much help. :p I planed on using the blue wig for funsies but well...yeah. The some of mastiff's attacks can kill you in one hit.

Story Related:
What does the post credits scene imply? Usually Metal Gear games have some pretty good post credit sequences and almost always throws a huge plot twist at you. But this one did nothing for me. Is he just gonna continue fighting cyborgs? lol

Story Related:
What does the post credits scene imply? Usually Metal Gear games have some pretty good post credit sequences and almost always throws a huge plot twist at you. But this one did nothing for me. Is he just gonna continue fighting cyborgs? lol

It's a sequel hook, I think.

GenoZStriker

Neo Member
Story Related:

I think it implies that he is going to continue fighting to stop the child trafficking and turning them into fighting cyborgs. As you saw in the story how Raiden makes it clear that he doesn't want anyone else turning into what he has become. With the ending being open, they can do sequels.

If you start from a checkpoint and collect some items, then save, then die, the items will be collectable again. And you can repeat that as many times as you want. I don't know if that's a glitch but it's kind of dumb.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Finally beat the game. Thanks to all the advice in here.
Especially for the camera adjustment in the Zandatsu debris-slicing portions.
Could not figure that out for the life of me, and I'm glad that there was a trick that I was missing rather than my reflexes just being terrible or something like I thought.

A truly excellent game that is only marred by a few minor faults. This is only the third Metal Gear game I have played, but I found it to be vastly more suited to my own gaming tastes than others. The action is superb. The story is straightforward, but entertaining. The boss fights are memorable. The action set pieces are actually pretty exciting. The difficulty curve is nice.

All-in-all, Platinum delivered once again, further cementing them as the premier action developer out there in my eyes. I can't wait for the future of this company. They are just too good.

Carbonox

Oh shit I didn't realise you need to S rank every ranked battle in Revengeance mode for the trophy. :lol I thought you just needed an S rank at the end of each chapter overall.

ibsxdgSsMIQ7b6.gif

Pass the vodka, Van Damme, I may need it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So anyone unlock all weapons yet? I really hate using the fox blade because it takes a lot of the intensity out of the game.

Not sure if I should spoiler or not but I will anyways.

I know the muramasa is definitely stronger than the HF blade. How about the Stun blade / armor breaker? From what I have noticed the only differences between the HF blade and the HF machete / Long sword is range. As for stun blade / armor breaker I think they're just the HF blade with a bonus ability on top. Even though the stun blade when it procs seems to activate instant executions rather than just incapacitate like the text suggests.

Wouldn't this make the stunblade fully maxed out the best possible weapon?

Finally beat the game. Thanks to all the advice in here.
Especially for the camera adjustment in the Zandatsu debris-slicing portions.
Could not figure that out for the life of me, and I'm glad that there was a trick that I was missing rather than my reflexes just being terrible or something like I thought.

A truly excellent game that is only marred by a few minor faults. This is only the third Metal Gear game I have played, but I found it to be vastly more suited to my own gaming tastes than others. The action is superb. The story is straightforward, but entertaining. The boss fights are memorable. The action set pieces are actually pretty exciting. The difficulty curve is nice.

All-in-all, Platinum delivered once again, further cementing them as the premier action developer out there in my eyes. I can't wait for the future of this company. They are just too good.

i have a feeling a LOT of people are only using one analog stick, and bombing hard like i did the first time i tried it that way, that two analog adjustment is extremely important to that battle, so much so i think its best people keep it in mind long before they meet the boss

Hystzen

Fuck Mastiffs I swear im going break my left analog stick , fighting the 2 on the elevator in chapter 4 and it none stop Raiden being stunned or trying get out of grabs. I wish platinum remember TO STOP MAKING US WAGGLE THE ANALOG GET OUT OF STUNS i never had so much issue in Bayonetta but man this game with Mastiffs is irritating.

Odd really Im on hard no issues with bosses never died yet but mastiffs and mobs kill me

Fuck Mastiffs I swear im going break my left analog stick , fighting the 2 on the elevator in chapter 4 and it none stop Raiden being stunned or trying get out of grabs. I wish platinum remember TO STOP MAKING US WAGGLE THE ANALOG GET OUT OF STUNS i never had so much issue in Bayonetta but man this game with Mastiffs is irritating.

Odd really Im on hard no issues with bosses never died yet but mastiffs and mobs kill me

Go ripper mode to instantly kill one, makes the fight much more manageable

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

tibetan-mastiff-puppy.jpg

Buntabox

I think it implies that he is going to continue fighting to stop the child trafficking and turning them into fighting cyborgs. As you saw in the story how Raiden makes it clear that he doesn't want anyone else turning into what he has become. With the ending being open, they can do sequels.

I'll be highly disappointed if
somehow Sam doesn't return. He was by far the standout character (not boss, thats Monsoon). He had interesting motivations. He is also the only boss you don't slice to pieces. Besides final boss. I know we are getting a dlc for him, but that probably won't flesh him out too much.
Wishful thinking I suppose

Top Bottom