• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Nemesis_

I feel that cancelling is cheap, I always have. If something can't be consistently beaten with the base combos/moveset, something is wrong. I can't be bothered to fight something 50 times to learn every one of its attacks and the exact frames where I need to parry -- I don't have the patience for that anymore.

It's also a problem I have with higher difficulties in general, which basically devolves to: enemies do massive damage/stuns, are faster, and have greatly increased health -- meaning: Get hit, get fucked. It's no fun and it's not challenging in the least.

Cancelling is in, like, almost every single action game ever. I don't know why you have such issue with it - it's built into the combat system. It's not accidentally implemented by the developer. The tools are provided to you by the person who crafted the game, what's your issue with it?

I'm not telling you to fight something 50 times or whatever - you don't have to make this a game of trial and error as well as memory / recall. Just use logic. I honestly don't mean to sound like an asshole when I say this - but you need to think quickly and react appropriately. Some people aren't equipped to do this on the fly, while others require repetition and trial/error to learn patterns. I guess you fall somewhere in between?

This might sound really fucking random as well but sleep on it and take a break. Multiple times I've been having a hard time and then woken up the next morning and absolutely slayed the situation. It might help you. Sleep is the consolidation of everything we've learned throughout the day, you know :p

For Monsoon's really fast flurry when he's glowing, what's the proper way to parry?

Hold toward him and keep pressing square after every hit.
Remash toward/square after every hit.

I've done both and the results are inconsistent.

I'll be really honest here - my strategies involving Monsoon don't ever let him to to the point where he is glowing and attacking me at the same time. If you deal enough damage, he'll skip the part of the battle where
he sends his different body parts at you separately
whereas if he even begins to glow, I throw
an EMP grenade and blade mode his head
to skip the entire phase.

On the odd occasion where I do slip, my *general* rule with parrying (especially in a situation like Monsoon where perfection isn't as necessary as say, surviving or taking no damage) is to parry immediately after I hear and see my first parry connect.

Any spoilers in the link?

I don't know how sensitive you are to these kinds of things - but there are some very, very light spoilers. I mention the scenario design for two boss battles VERY vaguely, as well as a character who appears late in the story.

Ok got all the item collectables now woohoo~

Also have you guys tried the dodge move while Raiden has no sword? Pretty cool.

Mine:

2FE2J1B.jpg
Fuuuuuuuu beautiful. 8x10, right? I'd totally frame that.

JoeFenix

Just got all the VR missions done with Gold rank!

19 was easily my favorite, I was parrying the hell out of everything there, ended up with 4:30 with a limit of 10 mins. Loved those VR missions, can't wait for the 30 DLC ones.

Time for some Revengeance S ranks, got robbed of my S rank on Stage 2 yesterday because of the stupid checkpoint/verse system in this game. You just don't know where they start and where you're actually being ranked.

Oh well, I will say though that FOX blade and Gray Fox outfit should have been the reward for VR missions. The actual reward is nowhere near as cool as those.

Nemesis_

Just got all the VR missions done with Gold rank!

19 was easily my favorite,

iZxaqVOW1F0FN.gif

I seriously contemplated tearing off my scrotum and throwing myself in front of a bus during those two missions (18 and 19). So infuriating.

But now that I think about it, 19 was so manageable once you got down a proper strategy. I was just running in crazily slashing shit.

Then again, the end of 19 I swear was borked for me somehow. Four fucking dogs and me being able to take them down one at a time without any interruption? Something was definitely up for me tbh.

JoeFenix

iZxaqVOW1F0FN.gif

I seriously contemplated tearing off my scrotum and throwing myself in front of a bus during those two missions (18 and 19). So infuriating.

But now that I think about it, 19 was so manageable once you got down a proper strategy. I was just running in crazily slashing shit.

Then again, the end of 19 I swear was borked for me somehow. Four fucking dogs and me being able to take them down one at a time without any interruption? Something was definitely up for me tbh.

I did it first try

18 was more challenging until I learned to use the Sai to stunlock.

Nemesis_

I did it first try

18 was more challenging until I learned to use the Sai to stunlock.

Hmm. You know, maybe that was my biggest shortcoming with Rising overall. I didn't use Dystopia in the game once.

I understand right now that it's properties are quite useful in the game, particularly VR missions and the like. But it's too late for all that now. :p

I just abused the slide and kick follow-up to stall Fenrir during that 18th VR mission. It was ridiculous. Also pretty funny how fucking easy the GRAD was following that wave. And the wave of four dwarf gekko? WTF. lol

I'm watching a Japanese guy use the Sai on Monsoon and it's working in place of the EMP grenade. Obviously, you can't use that the first time you fight him.

Yeah, I went to do that during my No Damage play through, but it was just too much. It wasn't reliable enough, and I had a full set of EMP so I thought I would just go for it.

Also I didn't even know about the Sai stunning or the idea of it charging - so I kept throwing it and getting angry when nothing happened

jett

D-Member
OMFG same fucking deal with Mistral, didn't get the no damage combo. Except this time it's ruining my S-rank run of Misson 1. :(

Nemesis_

OMFG same fucking deal with Mistral, didn't get the no damage combo. Except this time it's ruining my S-rank run of Misson 1. :(

I hope you followed the wise man's advice in this thread earlier. Back up your save for bosses.

Except with Mistral, the dwarves sometimes drop auto-replenishing health pick-ups. Definitely didn't grab any?

JoeFenix

Hmm. You know, maybe that was my biggest shortcoming with Rising overall. I didn't use Dystopia in the game once.

I understand right now that it's properties are quite useful in the game, particularly VR missions and the like. But it's too late for all that now. :p

I just abused the slide and kick follow-up to stall Fenrir during that 18th VR mission. It was ridiculous. Also pretty funny how fucking easy the GRAD was following that wave. And the wave of four dwarf gekko? WTF. lol

You can cancel his Plasma Cannon charge by just running up to his face which will force him to attack you. Either he throws those Kunai which you can use to stun or kill the Hammer dudes or he'll attack which you can easily Parry.

I got to the GRAD like 8 times and I would get dicked over because he has SO MUCH health.

Then I started trying shit out and the Sai is stunlock city central. Thank god for that!

joe2187

Banned
I had a strange glitch where I kicked mistral off the oil tanker and she fell into oblivion...I was stuck fighting dwarf geckos for five minutes before I restarted

Nemesis_

You can cancel his Plasma Cannon charge by just running up to his face which will force him to attack you. Either he throws those Kunai which you can use to stun or kill the Hammer dudes or he'll attack which you can easily Parry.

Mmhmm. I wrote this several pages back - well, I wrote my own strategy.

Basically used the kunai as a weapon against the hammer dickheads, so I could focus on Fenrir himself (as he was the one giving me the most trouble). Then just kept baiting him to do the plasma cannon, then running up close, slide kicking, and hammering him with L'Etranger. Rinse and repeat.

Seriously though, during that dwarf gekko wave I was seriously having palpitations (having just beaten the asshole I spent hours trying to top) and expected something else to jump out and just kill me.

Hystzen

Is it possible to do unlocked difficulty modes without your upgrades carrying on?

on very hard now but I feel to overpowered crushing bosses in less then a few minutes

RangerBAD

Mind blown that you can parry Monsoon's Magnet Wheel of Death. This guy is teaching me shit and he's only had the game since Friday in Japan.

Nemesis_

Is it possible to do unlocked difficulty modes without your upgrades carrying on?

on very hard now but I feel to overpowered crushing bosses in less then a few minutes

You can choose the New Game option, but I recommend doing it on a different save.

To unlock all difficulty modes from the start:

On the title screen, enter the Konami code (Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, circle, x). Revengeance mode will be made available as a difficulty setting.

That does it for all difficulty settings though.

Mind blown that you can parry Monsoon's Magnet Wheel of Death. This guy is teaching me shit and he's only had the game since Friday in Japan.

It really makes that segment of the battle so much more fucking manageable.

JoeFenix

Mmhmm. I wrote this several pages back - well, I wrote my own strategy.

Basically used the kunai as a weapon against the hammer dickheads, so I could focus on Fenrir himself (as he was the one giving me the most trouble). Then just kept baiting him to do the plasma cannon, then running up close, slide kicking, and hammering him with L'Etranger. Rinse and repeat.

Seriously though, during that dwarf gekko wave I was seriously having palpitations (having just beaten the asshole I spent hours trying to top) and expected something else to jump out and just kill me.

Haha, I know the feeling!

Btw, anyone have any tips for S rank Revengeance, is there a cool list of where the Verses start and end for every chapter yet?

I'm not having problems with the enemies themselves, just hate getting stuck in an impossible scenario where you are essentially screwed out of your S rank.

I had a strange glitch where I kicked mistral off the oil tanker and she fell into oblivion...I was stuck fighting dwarf geckos for five minutes before I restarted

I've had glitches occur with the missle-run where Raiden just gets stuck in midair. I was able to spin, but that was it.

Also, if you use stun/QTE-prompts against gekkos in a really cramped space, particularly the "cable spin" one, the background goes all psychedelic, sometimes with considerable slowdown.

jett

D-Member
I hope you followed the wise man's advice in this thread earlier. Back up your save for bosses.

Except with Mistral, the dwarves sometimes drop auto-replenishing health pick-ups. Definitely didn't grab any?

Doesn't matter anymore. The game wasn't registering more than 15 kills either, and I got careless and died and can't get the full time bonus anymore.

THIS FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT GAME

Cancelling is in, like, almost every single action game ever. I don't know why you have such issue with it - it's built into the combat system. It's not accidentally implemented by the developer. The tools are provided to you by the person who crafted the game, what's your issue with it?

It's hard to explain, really. It just feels cheap. :p Like reload cancelling in FPS's.

Except cancelling into a block, a player needs to be able to block at all times unless their in the middle of a heavy combo.

I'm not telling you to fight something 50 times or whatever - you don't have to make this a game of trial and error as well as memory / recall. Just use logic. I honestly don't mean to sound like an asshole when I say this - but you need to think quickly and react appropriately. Some people aren't equipped to do this on the fly, while others require repetition and trial/error to learn patterns. I guess you fall somewhere in between?

I'm not taking that way at all, don't worry.

Most of my trouble with that particular GRAD, is that most of it's attacks start with it lowering its posture. Is it going mobile? Launching missiles? Headbutt? Spinkick?

If this game had a camera like God of War, most of my issues would disappear. Then I would be able to see the enemies and not just their legs, or get hit from offscreen.

This might sound really fucking random as well but sleep on it and take a break. Multiple times I've been having a hard time and then woken up the next morning and absolutely slayed the situation. It might help you. Sleep is the consolidation of everything we've learned throughout the day, you know :p

Sleep doesn't do anything, it is just a very long blink for me. I wake up in the exact mindset I had before and can continue anything right where I left off. The only way I've ever been able to pass roadblocks like this in past games is to just keep pushing.

I also used to get very, very angry but I don't allow myself to do that anymore... maybe rage is the key? :p

On the odd occasion where I do slip, my *general* rule with parrying (especially in a situation like Monsoon where perfection isn't as necessary as say, surviving or taking no damage) is to parry immediately after I hear and see my first parry connect.

I never bothered to use sub-weapons in my first 2 playthroughs (normal, hard) so I just tried to parry/dodge everything.

As I said, it was... inconsistent.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, um, what is the idea with the Zendatsu in
Sundowner
's fight? Pass the first part, but fail the second part because there's no hint on what you're supposed to do there. Might as well run rings around that fight and avoid doing that shit if there's no bonus for it right?

Hystzen

Sundowner
's fight? Pass the first part, but fail the second part because there's no hint on what you're supposed to do there. Might as well run rings around that fight and avoid doing that shit if there's no bonus for it right?

The hinges of the shield are blue cut them

I wonder how many people did the that fight but never saw the 2nd stage of it

RangerBAD

Sundowner

Cut the blue parts without hitting the shields.

Nemesis_

Yeah, it's weird. The fight also becomes INCREDIBLY easy once you finish that first phase - and much more manageable from a parrying perspective.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Holy shit. Went into the last boss with no health items, and was it hard. Felt great to finally put him away. Loved this game.

TheSeks

Oh, I see. Though that part seems waaaay too quick to manually blade mode those two in Zendatsu while also avoiding the damage.

I did it just dodging their attacks and leaving the helicopter alone. The stupid sequence where you have to avoid debris seems more annoying that doing that for the fight, but I didn't no damage since I'd go into Ripper mode and accidentally hit the shield at times. :(

Nemesis_

Oh, I see. Though that part seems waaaay too quick to manually blade mode those two in Zendatsu while also avoiding the damage.

I did it just dodging their attacks and leaving the helicopter alone. The stupid sequence where you have to avoid debris seems more annoying that doing that for the fight, but I didn't no damage since I'd go into Ripper mode and accidentally hit the shield at times. :(

I found it more reliable to run around him with Ninja Run, slashing randomly. I very rarely hit him on the explosive armour and chipped away at his damage slowly.

This was my first run through, lol

This game does QTE right. Just about all the button-pressing ones lead to blade mode sequences, a natural extension of the sword-based gameplay.

Is MGR not one of the finest games of its type? It takes a basic action that has mass appeal — cut shit to pieces — and completely captures the essence of that action. Even taking into account all the problems with the game, this one shining aspect outweighs them.

Just wanna pop in and say every boss theme expect Ray's is godlike.

I don't usually listen to this type of music, but man it's soooooo good.

mistral's theme when the piano hits...damn makes me go crazy with the combos.

and dodge is a godsend in this game as is the blade mode cancel. I wish tutorials mentioned the dodge move.

Neiteio

I -just- realized you can add enhancements to the sword. Already beat the game, but now revisiting earlier levels, everything takes half the number of hits to defeat. :O

I'm also experimenting with subweapons now, which can also be enhanced. Any input guides for them? I fully upgraded them but I am not sure how all the moves work. It seems the pole has a forward-forward attack and back-forward attack, and there's a spin-around-the-pole move, Matrix Reloaded-style, but I'm not sure how I'm doing it.

The pole is AMAZING, btw. Makes dealing with Hammer Cyborgs and Mastiffs a cinch. You can safely soften them up until all of their limbs are ready for slicing. Not 100 percent it beats having access to the homing rocket sword jump, though.

The pincer blades seemed limited at first but became a lot more appealing once I realized you can charge them to effectively chop multiple enemies in half in one shot. Damn! And I can see the grappling potential of the Scorpion-esque sais...

I'd like to hear some advanced tricks for the subweapons, if anyone would like to share.

I'm also experimenting with subweapons now, which can also be enhanced. Any input guides for them? I fully upgraded them but I am not sure how all the moves work. It seems the pole has a forward-forward attack and back-forward attack, and there's a spin-around-the-pole move, Matrix Reloaded-style, but I'm not sure how I'm doing it.

Move lists are under "help" or "data" or something in the start menu. It'll only list sub-weapon inputs for the one you have equipped.

Finally beat Sundowner this morning. Took more continues and restarts than I'd care to mention. Pretty much did the parry at the start. Cut off the top two shields, then combo, dodge, combo, dodge, combo, dodge until his health was down far enough to defeat him.

Nah, I'm not going learn to do any cancels or shit like that. If a player has to learn and rely on something like taking advantage of cancels/invincibility frames... something's wrong with your game. Things like that should not be nearly required to play a game.

Be aggressive? The thing constantly fires machineguns, heavy munitions, and the stupid fucking slow-ass-rockets-that-stick-around-for-way-too-long. I try to do anything other than run away from those? Hit. Stunlocked. Every time.

I parry like a madman but the game decides to just fuck me over or not do anything at all sometimes, not even allowing me to block. The GRAD does that clearly telegraphed downward headbutt thing -- it's completely random whether I parry it or even block it, it doesn't let me. Same timing, same direction, same everything, different results.

That's the main thing I hate about games like this; inconsistency. I do the same thing 100 times: I get 100 different results. Maybe my controller is messed up?

GRAD melee attacks have a lot of startup and a ton of hit frames, so they're tricky to parry. The headbutt can't be blocked the instant it goes orange, you need to wait a second. I usually just dodge backwards since it's not worth the risk. The sequence you're talking about requires a ton of running around in circles, since they gain the ability to shoot the knockdown projectiles you can't deflect with ninja run even while they're moving. They'll lock on, start firing the machine gun, and then fire 3 shots of the cannon while circling. Throw the sai after the third shot or else you'll get knocked out of the attack.

The safest strategy I've found is to first run around while charging the sai to make sure the GRADS shoot all the tanks in the room. Cut up the leftover pieces during ninja run so they don't explode and stun you. Now that you have room to maneuver, throw the sai at one of them and start attacking. Ideally you'll have EM grenades to stun both at the same time, but it's still okay if you don't. Try to manipulate the camera so that the other GRAD is always between you and the GRAD you stunned, so you don't get shot with the cannon from behind.

Also, you don't need to blade mode to kill the missiles, an evade cuts them too. They drop nanopaste and there's also two other nanopastes on the left and right corners by the entrance, so there's actually a bit of wiggle room unless you're going for no damage.

It's a hard fight, but I found it a lot of fun.

All games of this genre require advanced cancels and abuse of invincibility frames at the higher difficulties. This game requires none of that at Hard or easier, with the exception of the final boss which is why some players are having such difficulty with him. They're things built into the game and very intentional, so not using or atleast exploring them is a personal handicap that's depriving you of a lot of the depth within the mechanics. The Evade canceled into Parry is very valuable against GRADS, but if you're stubborn about not using it then I guess that's that.

TheSeks

I'm not really digging the Pincer Blades. They're really slow and only do one move it seems. I mean it's good for air juggles, but why bother with them? The Sai and Polearm is far better.

Robot Pants

....You can save wherever you want when you call Courtney through Codec?
Is this useful when trying to S rank stuff? Probably not right?

Also can anyone help me figure out the missing encounter in
R04 around the Mistral/Monsoon fight

edit: nm I found it. Fuck me I gotta do all that over again.

Nose Master

I remember it being in the demo, but can't find it in the actual game:

How do you dodge roll? I bought the upgrade, but nothing seems to do it.

Neiteio

I remember it being in the demo, but can't find it in the actual game:

How do you dodge roll? I bought the upgrade, but nothing seems to do it.
Do you mean just hitting X and Square at the same time to do the sidestep dodge? And if you tap left or right, you will circle-dodge the enemy in that direction.

Upgrade required, though.

Top Bottom