• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Nemesis_

Don't fast forward through the conversations. D: They are pretty well done.

Oh. I didn't, but I fast forwarded a few at the beginning and decided not to.

I was just letting the whores know (but also those who might skip some lines after reading them quicker than they're spoken)

NotLiquid

Offensive Dodge/Defense. ;)

Christ, I never realized how useful this thing is...! I didn't know it gave you full immunity while using it. Thanks for the advice.

Beat the final boss on Normal. That boss was amazing. Final rank ended up being C though.

Time to step up to Hard difficulty. I'll probably form a solid opinion on the game once that's over and done with but this game has been an amazing ride from start to finish and I've been loving it. I love how original the combat feels, it's like nothing else.

Endo Punk

Beat the game, now you guys can finally not use spoiler tags.

The last boss really caught me off guard but it was so satisfying giving him a thrashing with the Muramasa blade, so damn insane! The game is so air tight, nothing felt like filler and I loved every moment of it. Final play time is actually a lot longer than you guys on hard difficulty, clocked in at over 7 hours((9+ total) with a C rank. I just wanted to see every secret and experiment as much as possible and I haven't even touched the boss weapons. It finally happened, this gen finally delivered a hack action game that gave me the feels like when I first played DMC and Ninja Gaiden.

My favourite boss was hands down Sam, loved the setting and the steel on steel action. Of course all boss fights were fun as hell even the large ones which is really hard to pull off.

Going for another run and I look forward to the DLC, especially playing as Sam.

Kenji Saito > Kamiya. Come at me.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I spent like an hour listening to codec conversations in R-01 before I got to the fight with Wolf. That's like ten minutes of actual gameplay.

So, you're saying it's a Metal Gear game?

Nemesis_

I knew I thought Sam was familiar.

Luis-sera.jpg

McNum

Okay, let's talk Tactical Sai here for a moment. Just checking if I "get" this, because if I do, it's a really awesome weapon.

The Tactical Sai is NOT a combo weapon, in fact, equipping it does limit Raiden's combo ability and some other abilities, including losing the divekick. At a glance, this is a severe disadvantage and... well, a price that's easily worth paying against single big targets. Because of one little ability it has: Stun Lock.

So, let me check my tactics with you here. Big enemy appears! Oh no! Equip Sai, play defense until Sai glows. Throw. Enemy is now stunned. Chain light attacks together until Sai glows again. Throw again. Enemy is re-stunned. Win.

Is that the basics of the Tactical Sai? Can it do anything else that I'm missing? It trades offensive power for utility, as far as i can tell.

Also, can it do this to bosses, too?

Nemesis_

Okay, let's talk Tactical Sai here for a moment. Just checking if I "get" this, because if I do, it's a really awesome weapon.

The Tactical Sai is NOT a combo weapon, in fact, equipping it does limit Raiden's combo ability and some other abilities, including losing the divekick. At a glance, this is a severe disadvantage and... well, a price that's easily worth paying against single big targets. Because of one little ability it has: Stun Lock.

So, let me check my tactics with you here. Big enemy appears! Oh no! Equip Sai, play defense until Sai glows. Throw. Enemy is now stunned. Chain light attacks together until Sai glows again. Throw again. Enemy is re-stunned. Win.

Is that the basics of the Tactical Sai? Can it do anything else that I'm missing? It trades offensive power for utility, as far as i can tell.

Also, can it do this to bosses, too?

I believe it can be used to stun / prematurely end
Monsoon
when he turns purple and begins to avoid your hints.

Yuterald

Just a quick question. Is there supposed to be some sort of icon/mark on your chapter select screen if you no-damaged an entire chapter? Just curious, because I tried File-00 again and completed both sequences with no damage, got my S-rank, and didn't notice anything on my screen. I did take damage on the fight with Sam though, but it's not ranked so I wasn't sure if it counts or not. I thought I heard this the other night, but I wasn't sure if I was listening close enough.

McNum

I believe it can be used to stun / prematurely end
Monsoon
when he turns purple and begins to avoid your hints.
So it's basically a single target EM Grenade with infinite ammo?

There are times where the ability to cut a lot of enemies fast is an advantage, but I'll definitely keep the Sai upgraded, then. Going to make Mastiffs and Grads a lot less intimidating for sure. Not that Grads last long against Ripper Mode, anyway...

Making my way through the game for the first time, so I'm still learning. At R-04, just past the
Japanese Garden
. Had to take a break, my "Something big is about to happen" sense is tingling and it's been a while since I recharged my DS3. I do NOT want that running out in the middle of a boss fight.

Revven

I love this game so much, urgh. Taking a bit of a break though so I don't get bored of it or tired of it (though I think that'll be hard to accomplish lol). This is actually one of those games I love so much I WANT to unlock everything.

jett

D-Member
WHAT THE FUCK

I didn't get the no damage bonus from Monsoon. I ended the battle with 200% health, nanopastes were deactivated.

jett

D-Member
You didn't die in the battle at all?

I'd just delete that title update if I were you, I hear it's kinda glitched

Grrrrr. And no, I didn't die, I just restarted as per usual. Damned update, what is it for anyway. I've played through the entire game pre and post update and haven't noticed any differences.

On the plus side, I got the radio operator trophy finally, and the armor break weapon too. Man this shit is broken fully powered up.

Nemesis_

WHAT THE FUCK

I didn't get the no damage bonus from Monsoon. I ended the battle with 200% health, nanopastes were deactivated.

Yup. It's a glitch.

If it happened to me after six or seven hours of trying I would actually break my lamp and kill myself with the insides

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is that the basics of the Tactical Sai? Can it do anything else that I'm missing?

Even if it isn't glowing against cannon fodder enemies:

Triangle->Rope-attack Triangle->"GET OVER HERE"/Raiden flies toward enemy Triangle->KICK INTO AIR

L1->Blade mode/Left-stick aim at box

Square/Triangle/Square/Triangle/Square/Triangle->ATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATA

O->End Zendatsu

Rinse and repeat.

Beat the game, now you guys can finally not use spoiler tags.

The last boss really caught me off guard but it was so satisfying giving him a thrashing with the Muramasa blade, so damn insane! The game is so air tight, nothing felt like filler and I loved every moment of it. Final play time is actually a lot longer than you guys on hard difficulty, clocked in at over 7 hours((9+ total) with a C rank. I just wanted to see every secret and experiment as much as possible and I haven't even touched the boss weapons. It finally happened, this gen finally delivered a hack action game that gave me the feels like when I first played DMC and Ninja Gaiden.

My favourite boss was hands down Sam, loved the setting and the steel on steel action. Of course all boss fights were fun as hell even the large ones which is really hard to pull off.

Going for another run and I look forward to the DLC, especially playing as Sam.

Kenji Saito > Kamiya. Come at me.

Saito is a cunt for putting in a ridiculous final battle but he at least didn't have his best boss battle behind a shitty Space Harrier segment

ironcreed

Banned
That Monsoon guy was a pain in the ass. Now I am at the fight with doubles of Mistral and Monsoon back-to-back. Mistral is cake, but having to fight the Monsoon double immediately after is testing my patience. Game is fun as hell, though.

Man I suck at parrying. My first play through is on easy because I wanted to enjoy the ride and the story the first time through without any feelings of rage. As a huge metal gear fan, I'll probably be finishing the game on every difficulty level. I wish platinum would stop with their shitty QTE gimmicks but other than that I have no complaints. I haven't had much trouble with the camera.

Never felt more badass than I do playing this. I want to get the strategy guide just because I often pick up any metal gear strategy guide cause they're so well done and I love the series. Anyone have the hardcover one?

Looking at this one.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/030789715X

My title screen says V.2

Do you have a PAL copy? My NA copy is still V.1

Man I suck at parrying. My first play through is on easy because I wanted to enjoy the ride and the story the first time through without any feelings of rage. As a huge metal gear fan, I'll probably be finishing the game on every difficulty level. I wish platinum would stop with their shitty QTE gimmicks but other than that I have no complaints. I haven't had much trouble with the camera.

Never felt more badass than I do playing this. I want to get the strategy guide just because I often pick up any metal gear strategy guide cause they're so well done and I love the series. Anyone have the hardcover one?

Looking at this one. Is this the official one endorsed by konami?

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/030789715X

That's the one. It's really fucking good too, highly recommended!

This game is so much more shit on Very Hard.

The two fucking GRADs at the end of chapter 2 are major BS. One of them falls easily (if you can ever manage to get a goddamn hit in w/o being infinitely stunlocked) but the other has an actual health bar and is a total pain in the ass.

Are you really supposed to just run in circles until the sai is charged > throw and hope it hits > light attack for 2 seconds > repeat?

Nemesis_

Do you have a PAL copy? My NA copy is still V.1

I had the Lamp Edition. This was a US NTSC disc, but playing on an Australian Xbox and Gamertag.

This game is so much more shit on Very Hard.

The two fucking GRADs at the end of chapter 2 are major BS. One of them falls easily (if you can ever manage to get a goddamn hit in w/o being infinitely stunlocked) but the other has an actual health bar and is a total pain in the ass.

Are you really supposed to just run in circles until the sai is charged > throw and hope it hits > light attack for 2 seconds > repeat?

I don't want to sound like an ass but you need to be more aggressive in this game. This isn't Ninja Gaiden, where you run and block, then chip away, then block again. You need to be increasingly aggressive, and parry whenever the enemy tries to land a hit.

Try sliding around or something, and abusing Blade Mode cancels whenever you see him about to gear up an attack.

Wow, R-03 was really something. I know the game was trying to manipulate me into feeling guilty, but damn did it work, at least partially. It was like a more straightforward scene of The Sorrow.

It was also the first time I felt like I was really playing a Metal Gear game and not just a really awesome action game. I don't know how much of a hand Kojima had in this, but they at least made an effort to emulate his own brand of gameplay/story merging mindfucks.

Nemesis_

Anyone know how hard R07 would be to S-Rank on Revengeance mode?

Just wondering. I have a whole day tomorrow to do it. :p

How would it rank in comparison to other chapters? Have I already done the worst of it? :p

Nice. I'll order it now. Do you happen to know what the lithograph looks like? I still have my MGS4 strat guide lithograph signed by Kojima framed on my wall. :D

Mine will be delivered within the next 8-12 hours. I'll post photos of the whole thing (including the book itself too) if nobody else has by then.

I don't want to sound like an ass but you need to be more aggressive in this game. This isn't Ninja Gaiden, where you run and block, then chip away, then block again. You need to be increasingly aggressive, and parry whenever the enemy tries to land a hit.

Try sliding around or something, and abusing Blade Mode cancels whenever you see him about to gear up an attack.

Nah, I'm not going learn to do any cancels or shit like that. If a player has to learn and rely on something like taking advantage of cancels/invincibility frames... something's wrong with your game. Things like that should not be nearly required to play a game.

Be aggressive? The thing constantly fires machineguns, heavy munitions, and the stupid fucking slow-ass-rockets-that-stick-around-for-way-too-long. I try to do anything other than run away from those? Hit. Stunlocked. Every time.

I parry like a madman but the game decides to just fuck me over or not do anything at all sometimes, not even allowing me to block. The GRAD does that clearly telegraphed downward headbutt thing -- it's completely random whether I parry it or even block it, it doesn't let me. Same timing, same direction, same everything, different results.

That's the main thing I hate about games like this; inconsistency. I do the same thing 100 times: I get 100 different results. Maybe my controller is messed up?

Nemesis_

Nah, I'm not going learn to do any cancels or shit like that. If a player has to learn and rely on something like taking advantage of cancels/invincibility frames... something's wrong with your game. Things like that should not be nearly required to play a game.

Be aggressive? The thing constantly fires machineguns, heavy munitions, and the stupid fucking slow-ass-rockets-that-stick-around-for-way-too-long. I try to do anything other than run away from those? Hit. Stunlocked. Every time.

I parry like a madman but the game decides to just fuck me over or not do anything at all sometimes, not even allowing me to block. The GRAD does that clearly telegraphed downward headbutt thing -- it's completely random whether I parry it or even block it, it doesn't let me. Same timing, same direction, same everything, different results.

That's the main thing I hate about games like this; inconsistency. I do the same thing 100 times: I get 100 different results. Maybe my controller is messed up?

I don't know what else to say. If pressing a button to initiate Blade Mode and cancel your string of attacks is "too much" for you then this probably isn't the right game nor the right genre for you.

Others have done it just fine, nay, on higher difficulties. I recommend just persisting if you don't want to get better and use the advanced techniques that the higher difficulties were pretty much MADE for.

Man, I just can't seem to parry multiple hits back to back. What's the trick?

Don't mash. I did that quite often, especially during Monsoon, thinking that since I am parrying all the time that there isn't down time where I'm open to attack. Actually watch your enemies' animation, and parry appropriately.

There's not really anything else to it. Your timing just has to be good, as does your reaction times.

Nemesis_

For boss fights, which sword is strongest maxed: Muramasa or Fox Blade?

I have a sneaking suspicions that the Murasama is actually FASTER than the FOX Blade. Hence it's able to output more damage per second. I spent about two hours on the showdown battle in R06 and came to that conclusion.

It's anecdotal and by no means empirical, though.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Completed it on normal last night. Absolutely fantastic game. I can't wait to go through it again!

I know everyone here loves the music but I had to turn it off during the epic fight with
Samuel
, it was ruining the atmosphere for me a little.

RangerBAD

I have a sneaking suspicions that the Murasama is actually FASTER than the FOX Blade. Hence it's able to output more damage per second. I spent about two hours on the showdown battle in R06 and came to that conclusion.

It's anecdotal and by no means empirical, though.

I've already dropped like 300000BP on the Fox Blade before I even got the Muramasa, but I don't use it because it's too overpowered if you're looking for L.Arms. Whenever I do a Revengeance run, I was wondering what to use.

ironcreed

Banned
Man, I just can't seem to parry multiple hits back to back. What's the trick?

Same, which is why Monsoon is such a pain in the ass. I could handle him by himself, but fighting his double immediately after having to fight a double of Mistral is grating on my nerves. But I will beat it.

RangerBAD

Same, which is why Monsoon is such a pain in the ass. I could handle him by himself, but fighting his double immediately after having to fight a double of Mistral is grating on my nerves. But I will beat it.

I just mashed parry as fast as I could and sometimes I held out and sometimes I didn't.

Just wanna pop in and say every boss theme expect Ray's is godlike.

I don't usually listen to this type of music, but man it's soooooo good.

Roto13

I just stealth killed those two things with the long legs that are patrolling in a circle in the sewers, and another one just blinked into existence right in front of me.

RangerBAD

I just stealth killed those two things with the long legs that are patrolling in a circle in the sewers, and another one just blinked into existence right in front of me.

Yeah, they all reappear after you kill one until after 3 or 4 and the room is empty.

I ran into an annoying glitch the other day. Right before the Armstrong fight, there's a guy with a left arm and I was trying to get it, but failed. So I restarted and the guy respawned under the stairs. Another left arm guy in Chapter 5 totally disappeared when I restarted after failing to get his arm. lol We need some more patching.

I don't know what else to say. If pressing a button to initiate Blade Mode and cancel your string of attacks is "too much" for you then this probably isn't the right game nor the right genre for you.

Others have done it just fine, nay, on higher difficulties. I recommend just persisting if you don't want to get better and use the advanced techniques that the higher difficulties were pretty much MADE for.

I feel that cancelling is cheap, I always have. If something can't be consistently beaten with the base combos/moveset, something is wrong. I can't be bothered to fight something 50 times to learn every one of its attacks and the exact frames where I need to parry -- I don't have the patience for that anymore.

It's also a problem I have with higher difficulties in general, which basically devolves to: enemies do massive damage/stuns, are faster, and have greatly increased health -- meaning: Get hit, get fucked. It's no fun and it's not challenging in the least.

Don't mash. I did that quite often, especially during Monsoon, thinking that since I am parrying all the time that there isn't down time where I'm open to attack. Actually watch your enemies' animation, and parry appropriately.

There's not really anything else to it. Your timing just has to be good, as does your reaction times.

For Monsoon's really fast flurry when he's glowing, what's the proper way to parry?

Hold toward him and keep pressing square after every hit.
Remash toward/square after every hit.

I've done both and the results are inconsistent.

Nice. I'll order it now. Do you happen to know what the lithograph looks like? I still have my MGS4 strat guide lithograph signed by Kojima framed on my wall. :D

It's a real badass Shinkawa art with a close-up of Raiden's face. It's not signed though, but it's individually numbered.

e: lol, didn't notice the post above.

Top Bottom