• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Yeah, how they handled explaining the game world in Rising is how they should've handled it in MGS4. Rather than forcing you to listen to Drebin drone on and on in a cutscene, Rising lets you -choose- to listen to characters -- and fast-forward, if desired -- for details on the particulars of the game world.

The cutscenes, meanwhile, stick to the main plot points, and so they never overstay their welcome, instead moving along at a brisk clip. This is FAR preferable to how MGS4 handled it.

Hopefully similar restraint, with world-building saved for optional codec calls, will be implemented in Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain, as well.

Yeah, I mean the game could do a better job of letting you know its there in my opinion. In terms of gameplay it's as meaty, if not meatier, than a normal Metal Gear but people miss the extras (even though there are a ton of easter eggs. I've yet to encounter a humanoid Dwarf Geko). But I'm loving the conversations. And Raiden has such personality in this.

I'm disappointed that the Muramasa doesn't have
the flame attack that same uses at the beginning

I thought that was from Sam
cutting open the fuel container, getting fuel on his sword, causing sparks and igniting his sword.

I'll have to check though.

Is there anything I should know about the codecs? Ever since I enter the first building in Ch. 1 (after I leave the beach and clear the first fight), I've been checking in with each character, listening to everything they have to say until they start repeating their terse phrase (I.E. "Get back to the mission, Raiden").

I then check back in with them again every time the checkpoint/saving icon appears on the screen. I did the civvie-stripping trick and checked in with them, as well. I even check with them in the middle of battle -- it's surprising how much they'll talk while Raiden is presumably busy.

Is there anything to watch out for? What they had to say after I first saw Mistral was especially entertaining... ;)

I've sometimes heard multiple conversations from one teammate in a single area. Just keep listening to each person at any given point in the game until they start repeating stuff you've already heard.

Revven

I tried to do some VR Missions today and once I got to VR mission 07 I was like, "Okay, I'm done for today."

Seriously, wtf? Five regular cyborgs, then four dual-wielding cyborgs + spider mech, THEN two Gekkos and a bunch of Dwarf Gekkos??! I fuckin' died right on the last Gekko there and I'm not even sure if there's more after that. x.x

Any tips for that one? It's brutal without any upgrades...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I tried to do some VR Missions today and once I got to VR mission 07 I was like, "Okay, I'm done for today."

Seriously, wtf? Five regular cyborgs, then four dual-wielding cyborgs + spider mech, THEN two Gekkos and a bunch of Dwarf Gekkos??! I fuckin' died right on the last Gekko there and I'm not even sure if there's more after that. x.x

I really hate some of the VR missions in this. They're not fun at all without upgrades.

demidar

I thought that was from Sam
cutting open the fuel container, getting fuel on his sword, causing sparks and igniting his sword.

I'll have to check though.

That's correct, the Murasame does not have any flame-billowing abilities, it's just an HF Blade coloured red.

RangerBAD

Question for the no damage trophy on the final boss:
Does it count the segments before the real fight? I've done the actual fight twice now with no damage and haven't gotten the trophy.

To be on the safe side, I just did no damage on all the segments.

Just S ranked the fight before monsoon with the wooden sword.Much easier than trying to get the no damage bonus imo.

Great tip. How upgraded is yours? I can't seem to S rank the first segment on R-00.

Revven

I really hate some of the VR missions in this. They're not fun at all without upgrades.

1-6 were fine, but once I got to 7 suddenly the difficulty just spiked up and the fun went way down. Where if they had allowed upgrades, it would be more fun.

jett

D-Member

If I remember correctly:

1st wave: rush towards the cyborg on the left, slide and enter blade mode, cut as many as you can. Kill what remains.

2nd wave: You better hope the spider mech charges towards you so you can counter parry it and kill it. Then use pole-arm to do some crowd control and immediately go into blade mode and cut away at all four cyborgs at once.

3rd wave: Run around, make the gekkos charge you, counter parry them, insta-kill them.

If you think that was hard... lolz you haven't seen anything yet.

demidar

1-6 were fine, but once I got to 7 suddenly the difficulty just spiked up and the fun went way down. Where if they had allowed upgrades, it would be more fun.

18 is a bitch because you can get one-shotted. And you have to fight two gorillas. Also there's multiple waves.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
To be on the safe side, I just did no damage on all the segments.

I figured. Guess I have to retry it. Oh well, the fight's so goddamn fun I don't care.

I also took a hit without noticing on Sam. Thankfully he's don't need to replay a whole chapter to get to him.

Anyone got any tips for getting no damage on (chapter 3 boss)
Monsoon
? I have no idea how to even approach it. All the other ones I can handle.

BTW if anyone wants to see the Gray Fox skin with the MGS1 colors play Chapter 6, the lighting looks just like it.

Revven

If I remember correctly:

1st wave: rush towards the cyborg on the left, slide and enter blade mode, cut as many as you can. Kill what remains.

2nd wave: You better hope the spider mech charges towards you so you can counter parry it and kill it. Then use pole-arm to do some crowd control and immediately go into blade mode and cut away at all four cyborgs at once.

3rd wave: Run around, make the gekkos charge you, counter parry them, insta-kill them.

If you think that was hard... lolz you haven't seen anything yet.

Okay so I did do wave 1 right, but wave 2 and 3 were brutal; I didn't even check to see if I could use the sub-weapons... so that's what I missed I guess.

Thanks for those tips, when I jump on it again I'll try it and see how it goes.

jett

D-Member
I figured. Guess I have to retry it. Oh well, the fight's so goddamn fun I don't care.

I also took a hit without noticing on Sam. Thankfully he's don't need to replay a whole chapter to get to him.

Anyone got any tips for getting no damage on (chapter 3 boss)
Monsoon
? I have no idea how to even approach it. All the other ones I can handle.

BTW if anyone wants to see the Gray Fox skin with the MGS1 colors play Chapter 6, the lighting looks just like it.

I was so depressed when the game didn't register my no-damage run of that particular boss. :( What you need to use is the pincer blades, specifically the charged moves. They take huge chunks of his life. If you do it right you should leave him with 65% health in the first 10 seconds of the fight. Here's a quick rundown:

-When the fight begins, do a regular swipe with the pincer blades, most of the time he will run around to your left side. You want this to happen. Immediately cancel your attack with a dodge, charge the pincer blades, and initiate a charged combo. This should deplete his life to less than 70%. If you do this right you'll have skipped the red phosphorus portion of the boss fight. This is not fail proof and there's a bit of a randomness factor to it, but it's the best strategy I found.
-When this happens he'll initiate his "throw crap from above" routine. When that ends, throw a EM grenade to stagger him, cut his head, then rush towards the head and again CHARGE the pincer blades. Release when his body comes back to the head. Do another charged combo. His life should now be at 40%.
-He'll initiate the lorentz part of the fight, and throw a huge chunk of metal at you. Parry it twice.
-Here's the hard part. He'll start throwing his limbs at you. You must learn the correct timing for the hands. Once you're done with that run away to the side and throw an EM grenade at him as soon as you're able. Repeat the charged strategy.
-Fight's over.
-Remember to use the quick-use technique for the grenade, just tap L2.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
No, after Doktor's codec on the subject, it seems clear to me now that whole sequence you spoiler-tagged is really just
Raiden imagining what led each cyborg to join the PMC, and what they would be thinking and feeling, IF NOT for nanomachines.

In other words, in that moment, they're not -actually- thinking or feeling those things -- they're thinking and feeling nothing other than "Destroy the target, destroy Raiden." There's no pain, no screaming on the inside.

Doktor notes this, and then poses the question: So, should this relieve you of guilt? Does the absence of physical and mental pain you inflict in the moment, excuse you from knowing full well the context of your actions, namely the fact this is still a thinking human being?

Post "hearing their voices" trauma, you have a long convo with Doktor over where the voices are coming from. Raiden isn't imagining them. Its pretty fascinating stuff. Great insanely in depth writing going on that 90% of the audience will never discover. Doktor has so much amazing shit to say it makes my head spin.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I was so depressed when the game didn't register my no-damage run of that particular boss. :( What you need to use is the pincer blades, specifically the charged moves. They take huge chunks of his life. If you do it right you should leave him with 65% health in the first 10 seconds of the fight. Here's a quick rundown:

-When the fight begins, do a regular swipe with the pincer blades, most of the time he will run around to your left side. You want this to happen. Immediately cancel your attack with a dodge, charge the pincer blades, and initiate a charged combo. This should deplete his life to less than 70%. If you do this right you'll have skipped the red phosphorus portion of the boss fight. This is not fail proof and there's a bit of a randomness factor to it, but it's the best strategy I found.
-When this happens he'll initiate his "throw crap from above" routine. When that ends, throw a EM grenade to stagger him, cut his head, then rush towards the head and again CHARGE the pincer blades. Release when his body comes back to the head. Do another charged combo. His life should now be at 40%.
-He'll initiate the lorentz part of the fight, and throw a huge chunk of metal at you. Parry it twice.
-Here's the hard part. He'll start throwing his limbs at you. You must learn the correct timing for the hands. Once you're done with that run away to the side and throw an EM grenade at him as soon as you're able. Repeat the charged strategy.
-Fight's over.
-Remember to use the quick-use technique for the grenade, just tap L2.

Thanks. Sounds like I need to get better with the Pincers. I suck at timing them.

demidar

Post "hearing their voices" trauma, you have a long convo with Doktor over where the voices are coming from. Raiden isn't imagining them. Its pretty fascinating stuff. Great insanely in depth writing going on that 90% of the audience will never discover. Doktor has so much amazing shit to say it makes my head spin.

Oh yeah, Doktor was talking about how thoughts could be transmitted to other people. I think I heard the term 'Psychosomatic' thrown around.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Oh yeah, Doktor was talking about how thoughts could be transmitted to other people. I think I heard the term 'Psychosomatic' thrown around.

It was more the conversation about the decision making part of the brain and the consciousness being separate. And how that could relate to the soldiers speaking this stuff without being aware theyre speaking it in some weird reverse feedback loop. All of the codec call team were aware of what the soldiers were saying at that point too. It wasn't just in Raiden's head. I sort of just sit there like O____O during Doktor's lectures.

Jintor

Holy shit. I thought I listened to a lot of damn codecs, but I didn't realise just how many there were. Hard mode is gonna be fucking baller.

demidar

Holy shit. I thought I listened to a lot of damn codecs, but I didn't realise just how many there were. Hard mode is gonna be fucking baller.

I think I spent more time listening to codecs then actually playing the game my first time through.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I keep wondering where they come up with Doktor's dialogue. I know KP has a military advisor (Motosada Mori) to keep things accurate on the military end but where do they get this pseudoscience stuff for Doktor. Even if it's all fake it's interesting lol.

Jintor

I keep wondering where they come up with Doktor's dialogue. I know KP has a military advisor (Motosada Mori) to keep things accurate on the military end but where do they get this pseudoscience stuff for Doktor. Even if it's all fake it's interesting lol.

I wonder if 8-4's heads split open at his dialogue

The other thing I really liked was that Doktor has a fuckin' great sense of humour, too

Pie and Beans

I wonder if 8-4's heads split open at his dialogue

The other thing I really liked was that Doktor has a fuckin' great sense of humour, too

Just randomly mentions coming back in a "nubile young female" cyborg body. So. Creepy.

You have to stop moving completely to open the menu and that's bullshit.

Actually you can use Blade Cancel. Metal Gear Ray on Very Hard taught me far too much about blade cancelling. Tap L1 and immediately hit the item menu button and you can get to it at any time.

demidar

Actually you can use Blade Cancel. Metal Gear Ray on Very Hard taught me far too much about blade cancelling. Tap L1 and immediately hit the item menu button and you can get to it at any time.

Actually you can just press down on the d-pad to heal. Works anytime you aren't in a QTE.

Neiteio

It was more the conversation about the decision making part of the brain and the consciousness being separate. And how that could relate to the soldiers speaking this stuff without being aware theyre speaking it in some weird reverse feedback loop. All of the codec call team were aware of what the soldiers were saying at that point too. It wasn't just in Raiden's head. I sort of just sit there like O____O during Doktor's lectures.
Ah, I'm only past Bladewolf on my "listen to all the codecs" run. I may have spoken too early. Now I'm really looking forward to seeing the codec convo you mentioned for myself. Hopefully it doesn't make me feel guilty fighting these guys. :-\

McNum

Is there any reason to not just have it on auto? Why would you use a nanopaste manually when having it on auto means that no matter how hard the hit that takes you to 0% is, it'll only cost you as much life as you have remaining and put you at 100% afterwards?

Am I missing something here?

demidar

Is there any reason to not just have it on auto? Why would you use a nanopaste manually when having it on auto means that no matter how hard the hit that takes you to 0% is, it'll only cost you as much life as you have remaining and put you at 100% afterwards?

To save up for a boss you can't beat I guess. Lots of people complain the last boss is too hard without nanopaste, personally didn't have a problem so depends on how much cushion you want.

edit: Another tip, if you hold the Sai for 6 seconds, it will stun on the next attack. The charge is lost if you get hit as well. This is really useful if you've run out of EM grenades and a GRAD, Gekko or Gorilla
or Monsoon
is pissing you off.

I think nanopastes take the fun out of the game unless you're playing on the hardest two difficulties. They're so powerful and common that you'll almost never die on anything below very hard if you just leave them equipped.

McNum

Well, yeah, an auto-paste means I've messed up, but with Zandatsu to get full heals so often, I found that nanopastes really only came into play when facing a boss I hadn't figured out how to beat yet. Or get mobbed by Mastiffs.

One funny thing is that if you have to rely on nanopaste in boss fights, it doesn't really matter much with Endurance +1s. You'll still only have 500 + max HP. A paste is still only worth 100 HP, even if you've maxed out your life gauge.

I've got almost all VR mission down, 17 is my least favorite by far due to the damn projectile based gameplay. No sword? Fuck that noise!

Anyway, I've got a couple more questions for the achievement hunters here:
1) A Big Fan of Lefties, Data Mining, and Analysis Complete: do these achievements all need to be done in a single play through or do they stack? I'm missing quite a few data chips, and missing 3 VR missions. I am also missing one hand.
2) Becoming a Lightning God: Do the S ranks need to be done on a single play through? Or can I say, get S ranks on all but one chapter, go back and then S rank it for the achievement?

Thanks.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't understand how the Story Mode can be so good but the VR Missions are pure shit. They feel like a punishment to even complete, much less get the top rank in.

I've got almost all VR mission down, 17 is my least favorite by far due to the damn projectile based gameplay. No sword? Fuck that noise!

Anyway, I've got a couple more questions for the achievement hunters here:
1) A Big Fan of Lefties, Data Mining, and Analysis Complete: do these achievements all need to be done in a single play through or do they stack? I'm missing quite a few data chips, and missing 3 VR missions. I am also missing one hand.
2) Becoming a Lightning God: Do the S ranks need to be done on a single play through? Or can I say, get S ranks on all but one chapter, go back and then S rank it for the achievement?

Thanks.

Chapter select, though lightning god requires you to complete r-07 last.

Biolink

I had problems with that one too. It wasn't too bad after I actually beat the game and everything though.

It used to be that flame thrower robot that messed me up.

No advice to really give, but after I played through the game my parrying was at a higher level. When the flame thrower bot does this little spin attack parry(I think it'll hit you 3 or 4 times) and destroy it. The Pole-arm owns on this stage.

demidar

Well, yeah, an auto-paste means I've messed up, but with Zandatsu to get full heals so often, I found that nanopastes really only came into play when facing a boss I hadn't figured out how to beat yet. Or get mobbed by Mastiffs.

One funny thing is that if you have to rely on nanopaste in boss fights, it doesn't really matter much with Endurance +1s. You'll still only have 500 + max HP. A paste is still only worth 100 HP, even if you've maxed out your life gauge.

Actually I think paste heals for less on Very Hard and Revengeance. Bout' 75% if I'm not going crazy.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Actually I think paste heals for less on Very Hard and Revengeance. Bout' 75% if I'm not going crazy.

Yeah, just learned that the hard way on the final boss on very hard. Almost had him but fucked up interrupting his regen four times in a row and lost a lifebar each time for it.

Top Bottom