• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

To save up for a boss you can't beat I guess. Lots of people complain the last boss is too hard without nanopaste, personally didn't have a problem so depends on how much cushion you want.

edit: Another tip, if you hold the Sai for 6 seconds, it will stun on the next attack. The charge is lost if you get hit as well. This is really useful if you've run out of EM grenades and a GRAD, Gekko or Gorilla
or Monsoon
is pissing you off.

The sai disappointed me the hell out of it in the lobby of File 04. "One move, what the hell? The pole arm has loads. What a rip off.". Then I realised it was basically a combo devil-bringer and stun weapon. My jaw dropped. Fucking god tier weapon when you fight nippy things or flying guys.

Actually I think paste heals for less on Very Hard and Revengeance. Bout' 75% if I'm not going crazy.
You are correct

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Whew. Monsoon, Revengeance, S-Rank.

I almost blew it. I finished everything up and only got a max combo of 25 even though it wouldn't let me cut with Blade Mode anymore, which left me with an A rank. I restarted from the checkpoint and mashed harder during the Zandatsu which strangely worked.

Does anybody know if North America is bound to get the VR DLC soon? I see two new achievements regarding the DLC but I don't see why Platinum/Konami would patch those achievements in for NA Xbox 360 players if we weren't bound to get them.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I don't understand how the Story Mode can be so good but the VR Missions are pure shit. They feel like a punishment to even complete, much less get the top rank in.
*puts on hipster glasses*
I've always hated VR Missions, even all the way back to MGS1

RangerBAD

I figured. Guess I have to retry it. Oh well, the fight's so goddamn fun I don't care.

I also took a hit without noticing on Sam. Thankfully he's don't need to replay a whole chapter to get to him.

Anyone got any tips for getting no damage on (chapter 3 boss)
Monsoon
? I have no idea how to even approach it. All the other ones I can handle.

BTW if anyone wants to see the Gray Fox skin with the MGS1 colors play Chapter 6, the lighting looks just like it.

Here.

I lost it when the security guard at Solis was reading Hentai.

It was more like ecchi moe girls.

Remember you can lock onto a target with the right trigger. And whenever an enemy flashes in color, meaning they're about to attack, push in the direction of that enemy and hit attack yourself. This is how you parry, and it can be done even while taking damage or in the air (with upgrade). There is a VERY generous window of timing, where you'll go into a blocking stance, deflecting their blow, and if you time it right, doing so at the exact moment they strike, you'll even stagger them, perfect for a counter-attack.

Also remember that when you go into Blade Mode, with L1, you aim with the left stick and adjust the cutting angle with the right stick, and then release the right stick (or hit Triangle) to cut. Alternatively, simply mash X for horizontal strikes, and Y for vertical strikes. You can get through most of the game doing so. (Technically ALL of the game.)

Another cool trick -- you run with R1, so hold R1 and run at an enemy. Then, right before you hit the enemy, hit Triangle (heavy attack) to sliiiiiiiiiiide into them. This will launch them in the air, sending them flying over you as you slide under them. Hit L1 to initiate Blade Mode at this time -- you can then freely slice them as they soar overhead in slow-mo! A lot of horizontal strikes will likely hit the target containing their fuel cell, which you can then extract by hitting Circle when prompted. Fuel cells juice you up for more Blade Time! (So does simply hitting enemies.)

Those are just some starter tips, the basics that will make the game a lot of fun right from the start. :)

Spanks, man.

I did not know about the horizontal/vertical slashes mapped to X and Y, respectively. Handy tip!

NIN90

It was more like ecchi moe girls.

NERD.png

Revven

I don't understand how the Story Mode can be so good but the VR Missions are pure shit. They feel like a punishment to even complete, much less get the top rank in.

I have to agree. I just got to VR Mission 17 and I haven't been having as much fun as the story mode. I mean, aside from the Ninja Kill missions (which are nice because stealth kinda works in this game, even when you have zero upgrades) the rest are just either plain boring, awful because of no upgrades, or force you to use the worst part of the game (the sub-weapons like grenades... eurgh).

The only thing I'm thankful for about Mission 17 is that I now know how to toss grenades without the arc.

I was listening to the Game Informer podcast today, and they talked about this game. Their thoughts on the game are...uh...interesting. I think they just suck at the game.

I actually liked the latter few VR missions when it became less about doing something with near-perfect timing (the earlier missions were particularly frustrating about this) and just about completing the challenge presented. VR 18 and 19 were probably my favourite of the bunch.

RangerBAD

I have to agree. I just got to VR Mission 17 and I haven't been having as much fun as the story mode. I mean, aside from the Ninja Kill missions (which are nice because stealth kinda works in this game, even when you have zero upgrades) the rest are just either plain boring, awful because of no upgrades, or force you to use the worst part of the game (the sub-weapons like grenades... eurgh).

The only thing I'm thankful for about Mission 17 is that I now know how to toss grenades without the arc.

They expect you to do that shit in 1:30:00.

angry-conan.jpg

I hate you Monsoon

What's the problem (I hate you too, Monsoon)?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I just got his no damage trophy

that's the problem

IT'S RED PHOSPHOROUS JACK UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHG

Hypron

I finally got all the achievements apart from the lightning god one and the VR training ones. How long do you guys reckon it takes to finish all the VR training missions with gold ranks? I'm starting uni again next monday and won't have time to play the game anymore :(. If I can't finish them I'll probably just not even bother and start revising instead. Thanks!

I just got his no damage trophy

that's the problem

IT'S RED PHOSPHOROUS JACK UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHG
Nothing quite like all those times the camera would wig out when he did his dive attack costing me a run. Definitely the most annoying of all the no damage runs for me.

Raxus

I was listening to the Game Informer podcast today, and they talked about this game. Their thoughts on the game are...uh...interesting. I think they just suck at the game.

I learned very early on that GI's reviews are garbage. Nice to know they keep the tradition alive.

MormaPope

Banned
The parrying system in this should be in Dark Souls 2.

Have the same parrying controls, but make it so you can only do Rising style parries when two handing a sword. A simple parry will block out all damage but drain most of your stamina. Have the perfect parry time window be very hard to achieve but if done correctly you'll counter and do massive amounts of damage.

Can you? I'm not talking about the wreckage being thrown at you part, I'm talking about the "aim at the fists" part right at the end.

Like, the fight was over and I absolutely blew it...

Ha! You sound like me last night. I was so excited about finally getting that far and my giddiness made me fumble like 10 times before doing it. Better luck next time!

Does anyone what the requirements are to get the Amateur Radio Operator achievement? Do I basically keep calling to try to hear as much new stuff as I can and I should eventually get it?

The camera fucking sucks! I'm fighting the stupid ass robo-dog and I can't see where he's coming from much less block correctly.

When he jumps around a lot, he'll always attack you on the 3rd jump (maybe after 3rd jump?). Turn off the target lock and run away while spinning the camera around. This helps you get into a better position to parry while getting him back into your sights.

Axspell

Neo Member
To those who have finished the game: does the slow-mo slicing mechanic ever stop feeling... weird? During the demo it just felt like the game wanted me to pull off the transition between fast moves and sudden, slow-mo cutting a lot more than I was able to do in reality without losing the flow of the game.

I finally got all the achievements apart from the lightning god one and the VR training ones. How long do you guys reckon it takes to finish all the VR training missions with gold ranks? I'm starting uni again next monday and won't have time to play the game anymore :(. If I can't finish them I'll probably just not even bother and start revising instead. Thanks!

VR training won't take too long for most, I think. I did have to try VR 17 for like two hours though, because the sub-weapons are ass.

HoJu

Really enjoying this game, but the machine gun enemies not having a "tell" when they fire combined with the troublesome camera is making parts of it excessively frustrating. Or I just suck at the game.

Even with the RPG guys, ninja running the fuck out of there seems like the only possible defense.

Raxus

Really enjoying this game, but the machine gun enemies not having a "tell" when they fire combined with the troublesome camera is making parts of it excessively frustrating. Or I just suck at the game.

Even with the RPG guys, ninja running the fuck out of there seems like the only possible defense.

If their laser is on you they are about to fire. True for rocket guys as well. Sliding and blade mode to dispatch of them fast.

Just reading their review i knew they wouldn't get this game.

Dude didn't even know there was a dodge move until after he published the review, which he later had to correct.

I learned very early on that GI's reviews are garbage. Nice to know they keep the tradition alive.

They're one of the few magazines that gave a Resident Evil 6 a score above a 6 or 7 (8.75), which says a lot about them.

Try locking on with rb/r2

When he jumps around a lot, he'll always attack you on the 3rd jump (maybe after 3rd jump?). Turn off the target lock and run away while spinning the camera around. This helps you get into a better position to parry while getting him back into your sights.

Thanks...

Why the hell didn't they mention you can lock onto a target? I was wondering this entire time why there was a target icon on enemies... shit.

I just beat him. Thanks you two.

Oh and I'm on the PS3 version.

Thanks...

Why the hell didn't they mention you can lock onto a target? I was wondering this entire time why there was a target icon on enemies... shit.

I just beat him. Thanks you two.

Oh and I'm on the PS3 version.

I think one of the tutorial missions has you using lock on, but the game doesn't really tell you about that. Be sure to buy Offensive Defensive as well if you haven't already. Really cheap at only 3000 and gives you the ability to dodge by pressing square+ x. You can also hold left or right to dodge that direction, otherwise you'll just dodge backwards.

Top Bottom