• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Vodh

To those who have finished the game: does the slow-mo slicing mechanic ever stop feeling... weird? During the demo it just felt like the game wanted me to pull off the transition between fast moves and sudden, slow-mo cutting a lot more than I was able to do in reality without losing the flow of the game.

Yeah, it does. Felt kinda awkward for the first half of the first chapter, but then it clicked. Loving it now.

Minamu

Wow, this game! xD Even better than I hoped for. A boss 5 minutes in after killing 10 foot soldiers? So epic I couldn't stop laughing at how awesome that was.

Revven

To those who have finished the game: does the slow-mo slicing mechanic ever stop feeling... weird? During the demo it just felt like the game wanted me to pull off the transition between fast moves and sudden, slow-mo cutting a lot more than I was able to do in reality without losing the flow of the game.

It never felt like it slowed the pace down for me. The feedback you get from the game, satisfyingly slicing them to bits, and ending it with a Zandatsu to only then parry or start attacking another guy keeps the pace high and intense.

The demo is only a small sampling of encounters and truthfully doesn't represent how fast paced the game can get when you have all your skills, custom weapons, and blade upgraded later on in the game when there's way more enemies and action flying around everywhere.

The pace never slowed down for me because of Blade Mode or anything. It only slowed down when I got hit repeatedly for screwing up.

Blade Wolf's battle theme is the best boss theme. That fight gives me goose bumps every time.

It's not impossible (but still quite a challenge) once you understand how the rating system works. No Damage and No Kills bonuses help a lot.
Just make sure to zandatsu all enemies and build one high combo.

Thanks for the advice. How is no kills possible? I think I even saw a trophy that said something about no kills. Yeah, I still don't know and I am on my third playthrough.

HoJu

If their laser is on you they are about to fire. True for rocket guys as well. Sliding and blade mode to dispatch of them fast.

Hmm, I thought that the laser was only for the rocket guys. Thanks.
I'll check later, but I still think that they weren't well designed

Or maybe I'm just playing this like Bayonetta.

jett

D-Member
Thanks for the advice. How is no kills possible? I think I even saw a trophy that said something about no kills. Yeah, I still don't know and I am on my third playthrough.

Enemies will disappear after a while if you chop up their legs. There's also the wooden sword that also makes them disappear.

RangerBAD

So he's like some kind of awesome cocktail of Jesus, Paul McCartney and Grizzly Adams?

grizzly_adams_650x300_a01_1-e1353799404586.jpg

CatPee

Goddammit, I'm more and more tempted to dump $190 and import a PAL Limited Edition for dat White Raiden figure. Does it include a steelbook?

Exactly how prevalent is the effin' stick-waggle QTE throughout the game? Why is Platinum wanting to punish me for looking after my electronic equipment and manipulating my hands in a civilised manner?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Hope konami release some new dlc skins and weapons soon. I would a Null outfit or Raiden's skull outfit from mgs2.

Mike M

Nick N
Exactly how prevalent is the effin' stick-waggle QTE throughout the game? Why is Platinum wanting to punish me for looking after my electronic equipment and manipulating my hands in a civilised manner?
The wiggling is exclusively for escaping grabs, I think there's only one mandatory sequence of it.

strobogo

Banned
Holy shit, I can't get 10 seconds past the section after Sundowner on Reveneange mode. The part where there are there 4 guys with RPGS and there is no where to hide. They destroy me immediately.

Holy shit, I can't get 10 seconds past the section after Sundowner on Reveneange mode. The part where there are there 4 guys with RPGS and there is no where to hide. They destroy me immediately.

Keep ninja running and jumping. Dodging also helps when you know a rocket is coming.

It depends on the region of your PSN account.

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=ps3_regional_locking

Also of note, EU, JP and AU DLC are mostly counted as one region, NA is another.

Oh, OK, thanks. My friend looked on PSN for the DLC and didn't see it, even though when she chose "Australian" when making her account.

The wiggling is exclusively for escaping grabs, I think there's only one mandatory sequence of it.

Is it true that it gets more difficult for each consecutive grab for each enemy? Mastiffs are terrifying on Very Hard, don't even want to think about Revengeance. And then their drop-attack that can phase through walls...

You can throw a smoke or electric grenade and try to take them out. If they're patrolling, use the box for cover and try to sneak up on them.

Revven

When you get stunned (by getting hit a lot), when a Mastiff (the gorilla-like enemies) grabs you, and when a Gekko grabs you. Otherwise, it's kind of not forced, it just happens.

strobogo

Banned
You can throw a smoke or electric grenade and try to take them out. If they're patrolling, use the box for cover and try to sneak up on them.

It's the part where you can't sneak up on anyone. You can't sneak in to the area. The guys with rockets are on the roofs of buildings and don't come down for like a minute of firing. And if you get hit with one, 3 more are coming right after it with no time to recover.

Kaizer

Banned
This whole time, I've thought you guys were talking about how hard the Sam fight was. I got to there, beat it on first try and said, "Is that it?". Little did I know the shitstorm that awaited me afterwards, WTF. Trying to do this battle with no nano paste is terrible, the damn mech took all of them. I can tell I might be stuck here for a while.

Smoke grenades with quick throw are actually quite helpful and awesome. I still think selecting/using sub-weapons should be more fluid though. Their effectiveness is fine as none of them overpower the main weapons, but that coupled with their (lack of) ease-of-use makes them barely useful overall.

Thanks, guys. Are all of these instances reasonably avoidable?

The ones listed, yes.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Thanks, guys. Are all of these instances reasonably avoidable?

If you dodge/parry a lot, yes.

This whole time, I've thought you guys were talking about how hard the Sam fight was. I got to there, beat it on first try and said, "Is that it?". Little did I know the shitstorm that awaited me afterwards, WTF. Trying to do this battle with no nano paste is terrible, the damn mech took all of them. I can tell I might be stuck here for a while.

Once you reach the checkpoint, just start->restart. Free health pack.

Astral

Trying to S-rank the final boss is a nightmare. Anyone have any tips for this shit? The grab attack is the only thing that hits me at this point. It's so fucking unpredictable. Sometimes it's instant, sometimes it's delayed, and sometimes it continues to follow me after I dodge it. It's fucking ridiculous. I usually dodge it by Ninja Running away to make some space between us and dodging it. But when it's instant that shit doesn't work and there's no way to see it coming. What the fuck do I do? Pray?

Robot Pants

Doing my New Game Revengeance Mode run.
Tough stuff, but not as hard as I thought. Just like NG2, the first chapter is rough but it gets easier after that.
Even having no upgrades I still managed to S-Rank R-01.
I'm still fairly skeptical the entire game can be S-Ranked on Revengeance without Wigs or previous upgrades. We will see.

Has anybody else been noticing slowdown and cutscene freezing in the ps3 version?

The cutscene just completely froze before the last boss but I could still pause and skip it.

Top Bottom