• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
everything is at my finger tips and accessible, but your telling me I have to search and read

fu*k P*

:p

It's funny, watching some Let's Plays of the game. Some people "get" it pretty quickly and figure out what they're supposed to do right away... find the movelist right away, get the parry system down, understand blade mode and Zandatsu. They take a little time to experiment and comment as they're learning.

And then others just kind of assume things, don't bother looking at the movelist at all, don't pick up on cues that the game gives you on how the combat works, and rush forward.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I'll agree that it could have been clearer or placed in a more prominent location, but all it takes is a tiny bit of effort to look for it.

It wasn't buried under multiple layers of menu sure, but the first place I looked for the move inputs was in the place where you buy them.

Sephzilla

It wasn't buried under multiple layers of menu sure, but the first place I looked for the move inputs was in the place where you buy them.

Buried under multiple layers = press start and select help? Sorry, my inner web programmer is coming out. One or two clicks away =/= buried.

jett

D-Member
I apologize if this has already been posted, but are these dates for the DLC?

imageeekw5.jpg

image99kdu.jpg

Not exactly. The 30 VR missions will hit on April 2nd, and some sort of free DLC skins will bre released on March 14th. Not sure what the hell they mean.

Mike M

Nick N
Revengeance's movelist is really pretty terrible. Not the easiest to find, and when you back out to try a move and have to navigate back to it again, you start back at the top of a really fucking long list and have to scroll back to where you were.

Bayonetta's training mode was aces. Why doesn't Revengeance have something similar?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Not exactly. The 30 VR missions will hit on April 2nd, and some sort of free DLC skins will bre released on March 14th. Not sure what the hell they mean.

Free DLC skins? This is the first I've heard of them. Anything good?

Revengeance's movelist is really pretty terrible. Not the easiest to find, and when you back out to try a move and have to navigate back to it again, you start back at the top of a really fucking long list and have to scroll back to where you were.

Bayonetta's training mode was aces. Why doesn't Revengeance have something similar?

I imagine time constraints and deadlines. It sounds like MGR was one of Platinum's most fast tracked games.

Joe Lee

I admit that I'd think the Move List could have been in a bit more noticeable location, but still, it's not like you have to go on a treasure hunt for it. Once I found it, I repeatedly went back to it to see the awesome shit I could pull off.

I also didn't find out how to dodge until I found the move list... which I didn't find until the boss fight was Sam. Welp.

It's funny, watching some Let's Plays of the game. Some people "get" it pretty quickly and figure out what they're supposed to do right away... find the movelist right away, get the parry system down, understand blade mode and Zandatsu. They take a little time to experiment and comment as they're learning.

And then others just kind of assume things, don't bother looking at the movelist at all, don't pick up on cues that the game gives you on how the combat works, and rush forward.

yeah it amazes me some people (not calling out anyone in this thread) would continue to push forward frustrated, instead of just taking a few seconds to find out what they need to learn to make things easier.

1st levels being tutorials have spoiled some people into thinking everything the game has to offer is spelled out for you in the 1st 15 minutes, with no room for experimentation or discovery.

Joe Lee

yeah it amazes me some people (not calling out anyone in this thread) would continue to push forward frustrated, instead of just taking a few seconds to find out what they need to learn to make things easier.

1st levels being tutorials have spoiled some people into thinking everything the game has to offer is spelled out for you in the 1st 15 minutes, with no room for experimentation or discovery.

Yeah, the same goes for some of the reviews I've seen. Some people just get all the intricacies of the game and gave the game something in the solid 8.5-9.5 range. Others, like the Game Informer review, just seemed to miss the point entirely; I remember the dude saying that there wasn't a dodge function and that Blade Mode was just a gimmick that went nowhere.

I also didn't find out how to dodge until I found the move list... which I didn't find until the boss fight was Sam. Welp.

It also could have been more convenient for the game to list the inputs in the move shop descriptions.

But not knowing how to do a move that's optional is understandable.

With everything available, players should at the very least grasp the basic gameplay concepts ...no excuse ;)

Yeah, the same goes for some of the reviews I've seen. Some people just get all the intricacies of the game and gave the game something in the solid 8.5-9.5 range. Others, like the Game Informer review, just seemed to miss the point entirely; I remember the dude saying that there wasn't a dodge function and that Blade Mode was just a gimmick that went nowhere.

reminds me of people reviewing Vanquish

...trying to play the game like other games in the genre instead of taking the time to learn what the game has to offer that sets it apart.

ultron87

The game makes it too easy to push forward without knowing the mechanics. Even on hard you can barrel your way past Monsoon without knowing how to parry combos because it gives you enough health packs mid fight to keep going.

I still stand by my earlier claims that the game should do way more to teach you the basic mechanics instead of just essentially saying "okay here's how you parry a single melee attack. Figure the rest out!" It could teach you this stuff while still not babying you. A few optional tutorials or codec conversations would do nothing to take away from the game's depth or sense of discovery. Like I'm totally loving it now, but getting to this point involved some of the most frustrating game experiences in years that could've been easily avoided.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm not seeing it but only $35 on ebay, sooooo tempting.

But... there's a link to it? It's a little over $20 at Amazon.

The game makes it too easy to push forward without knowing the mechanics. Even on hard you can barrel your way past Monsoon without knowing how to parry combos because it gives you enough health packs mid fight to keep going.

I still stand by my earlier claims that the game should do way more to teach you the basic mechanics instead of just essentially saying "okay here's how you parry a single melee attack. Figure the rest out!" It could teach you this stuff while still not babying you. A few optional tutorials or codec conversations would do nothing to take away from the game's depth or sense of discovery. Like I'm totally loving it now, but getting to this point involved some of the most frustrating game experiences in years that could've been easily avoided.

I think that's why I was especially appreciative of playing the game on Hard the first time through. It doesn't let you barrel through things quite as quickly.

Sephzilla

Yeah, the game does let you just barrel your way through to a certain extent. But the people who took that approach also ran into the walls that were Sam and Armstrong.

Personally I like that the game doesn't spell everything out for you. I really enjoy and appreciate MGRs slightly old school feel.

I think that's why I was especially appreciative of playing the game on Hard the first time through. It doesn't let you barrel through things quite as quickly.

Same here.
Learn or die

Personally I like that the game doesn't spell everything out for you. I really enjoy and appreciate MGRs slightly old school feel.

where tutorials were insert manuals and games just threw you in to the thick of it

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It took me a while to notice the movelist was under "Help". Could have been more clear.

it tells you it's there when you highlight the "help" selection in the pause menu

where tutorials were insert manuals and games just threw you in to the thick of it

Rising's manual was pretty weak to be fair. I guess I expected it to have the kind of basic menu and systems info games like Bayo and Demon's Souls provide.

It makes up for it with the amount of optional in game reference material it provides though

So they're there, but they're not mentioned again when you get a new skill (i.e when you get the dodge, the game doesn't ask if you'd like to go into a tutorial to learn more about it).

I'm pretty sure the game tells you when you've unlocked a new tutorial and that you access them in VR missions, but I don't remember

Revven

There are optional tutorials, though. The game even asks you, when you get your first VR mission, if you'd like to go through a tutorial by pressing Select and picking VR Missions.

There's about 7 optional tutorial VR missions teaching you how to parry, how to use Ripper Mode, Blade Mode, how to combo, I think there's even one on dodging...

So they're there, but they're not mentioned again when you get a new skill (i.e when you get the dodge, the game doesn't ask if you'd like to go into a tutorial to learn more about it).

It'd be helpful if they called the "Help" button when you paused "Combo List" instead... I thought "Help" was going to contain tips or hints at first until I clicked/highlighted it and saw the combo list. Not sure if it was a mistranslation but man, if it said combo list on the button itself, there wouldn't be as many problems in learning the game I think.

I still stand by my earlier claims that the game should do way more to teach you the basic mechanics instead of just essentially saying "okay here's how you parry a single melee attack. Figure the rest out!" It could teach you this stuff while still not babying you.

The game trying to meet deadlines may have put guiding the player on low priority during focus testing.

But I thought Blade wolf did a decent job of showing you how to parry multiple strikes. Monsoon just cranked it up into hyper drive. That being said my perspective of the game is from playing on hard difficulty so I don't know how far he pushed you in battle.

Having replayed MGR though, a single word could have solved a lot of problems some people would face down the road if it had been included during the parrying tutorial.

But then again the look on my face when I parried Monsoon's combo...

(Monsoon's combo)
T_T

(parried 1st strike)
^_^

(parried entire combo)
7NQTw.gif

the joy of figuring it out yourself can sometimes be underrated

ultron87

The game trying to meet deadlines may have put guiding the player on low priority during focus testing.

But I thought Blade wolf did a decent job of showing you how to parry multiple strikes. Monsoon just cranked it up into hyper drive. That being said my perspective of the game is from playing on hard difficulty so I don't know how far he pushed you in battle.

Having replayed MGR though, a single word could have solved a lot of problems some people would face down the road if it had been included during the parrying tutorial.

I played on Hard first time as well. Wolf wasn't that bad, but that was effected by having played through the demo a bunch of times, so I knew what to expect.

And yeah, really if the parrying tutorial was a little better and if it was at some point like "hey, dodging exists and is cool" it'd make the game so much less frustrating and still allow the awesome moments of "I can't believe I just pulled that off."

Sephzilla

But then again the look on my face when I parried Monsoon's combo...

(Monsoon's combo)
T_T

(parried 1st strike)
^_^

(parried entire combo)
http://i.imgur.com/7NQTw.gif[IMG]

the joy of figuring it out yourself can sometimes be underrated[/QUOTE]

Pretty much all of the bosses are designed around mastering mechanics of the game. Think of them like school classes.

Ray = Learn the basics of combat
Blade Wolf = Learn how to parry
Mistral = Learn how to use Blade Mode
Monsoon = Learn how to parry [Advanced Course]
Sundowner = Learn how to use Blade Mode [Advanced Course]
Sam = Learn how to use all aspects of combat effectively
Excelsus = Learn how to dodge
Armstrong = Learn how to dodge [Advanced Course] + Final Exam.

Pretty much all of the bosses are designed around mastering mechanics of the game. Think of them like school classes.

LOL So true.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

So, what is "First Fight in the game/R-00 Very Hard/Revengence" then?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Ray is like Tower Knight in Demon's Souls

He looks intimidating but is really kind of a push over. Just gotta bait him into using the moves you want by standing at the right ranges

The game gets a lot easier as you get upgrades, especially on Very Hard. About the Sam fight:
What a great setup riding in, having Sam acting philosophical, getting ready to duel in that beautiful setting, and then that great music kicks in and gets you hyped. I'm thinking "Holy shit, here it is, Raiden's revengeance!" I'm ready for an epic, climactic duel of swords with my nemesis and equal... and then it's the easiest boss in the game and takes me 2 tries. Too bad because I really liked Sam, but at least it looked cool. And the final boss is so amusingly insane and hard it makes up for it.

I laughed when I read some review saying there is nothing like juggling in the game. Also can't decide if the dystopia or bloodlust is more fun.

Too bad the japanese garden is such a short place to have fun. Would love some future dlc with this setting. Man I would even buy a metal gear rising : revengeance blacker edition with more content and some fixes.

It seems there was some "Ripper Mode" that I didn't know about. How2use? Probably could have helped when I was getting my shit kicked in by
THE FUCKING SENATOR

Spent like 10 minutes throwing punches at the guy while he overcharges his health because I didn't know where my sword went.

Skidd

So, combo parrying. How does it work?

Monsoon and Sam were tossing me around because I failed to block one or two of their attacks.

Do you have to do the parry input (stick tilt + Light Attack) for every attack, or can you just hold the stick and smash LA? I experimented these with Monsoon and he'd always hit me mid combo.

Also, are all Sam's attacks blockable or am I just missing that very small window for parry. Because he has a rather basic 4-5 hit combo with a flashy finisher, I can block the three first attacks, but the fourth one always sends me flying. I tried dodge offset with the last attack and it worked, sometimes...

demidar

Monsoon and Sam were tossing me around because I failed to block one or two of their attacks.

Do you have to do the parry input (stick tilt + Light Attack) for every attack, or can you just hold the stick and smash LA? I experimented these with Monsoon and he'd always hit me mid combo.

Also, are all Sam's attacks blockable or am I just missing that very small window for parry. Because he has a rather basic 4-5 hit combo with a flashy finisher, I can block the three first attacks, but the fourth one always sends me flying. I tried dodge offset with the last attack and it worked, sometimes...

Yes, you must release the stick and then tilt again to block combos, you can't just hold stick in the direction and mash X/square.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It seems there was some "Ripper Mode" that I didn't know about. How2use? Probably could have helped when I was getting my shit kicked in by
THE FUCKING SENATOR

Spent like 10 minutes throwing punches at the guy while he overcharges his health because I didn't know where my sword went.

1. No it wouldn't have.

2. BEHIND YOU. The camera even shows you this.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

yes

jett

D-Member
Motherfucking Monsoon, I swear I'm this close to getting a heart attack from attempting to no damage him. Finally, it's done. Done again, that is. I had done it before but the game didn't recognize it :/

On the plus side I found out a way to skip the part where he
throws the garbage and then his limbs at you. He does this when his health is at exactly 40%. But if you manage to take it down to below 40% before he does that, it is skipped. You can only do this by damaging his disembodied head on the ground.

Top Bottom