• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Deitus

if you never block, it takes forever on high difficulties. Iv'e never tried normal, but I think it's the same thing.

It's not quite the same thing. To beat Ray on Normal, you only need to break the armor off each leg, and then attack the legs again to zandatsu blade mode the leg turrets. After that it goes into its final attack that you have to counter to beat him. So if you only played on normal, you might never know you could block its attacks, or that it was one of the easiest ways to damage it.

Which is a good thing probably, because the game doesn't really indicate to the player yet that blocking is essential to the combat system, much less that you can simply block an attack by a 50 foot robot. It's not really until R-01 that the game really expects you to know how to block, and not until Blade Wolf that it expects you to be good at it.

The only trophy I have left is the Amateur Radio Operator. Jesus. If I listen to every codec conversation, when's the earliest I can get the trophy?

Synless

This may have been asked or mentioned before, but why under the trophy section for this game does it list both PS3 and PS Vita?

Endo Punk

The DLC is for April right? So I think Sam may well be next week with Wolf coming the final week of April. Can't wait to see the
Senator
acting nuts again lol and of course
Mistral
in Wolfs DLC...

Akainu

Weird. It's still left analog square right?

Alright it's working now in this Sam fight. Must have just been me.

A least the game is better at giving you points for the body parts.

This Mistral fight sucked there was nothing interesting about it.

Holy shit this kid is annoying.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh god, Akainu is playing.

IDK but i just didn't have THAT much of a problem with the camera outside of VR 17-18

I tip my hat to you. I survived Ninja Gaiden just fine. But this game...man...seriously almost 40% of the battle is with the camera. I literally shook my head during stealth section when the camera would jerk around even if I was sitting in the box and not moving. It got mad frustrating with Revengenance difficulty

Hypron

Same here. It could get bad in story mode with the mastiffs but they don't show up all that much outside of Very Hard/Revengeance. Locking on is very important when fighting bosses.

However, lock on can get really annoying when fighting normal enemies. Sometimes it's better to leave it off.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I tip my hat to you. I survived Ninja Gaiden just fine. But this game...man...seriously almost 40% of the battle is with the camera. I literally shook my head during stealth section when the camera would jerk around even if I was sitting in the box and not moving. It got mad frustrating with Revengenance difficulty

Ninja Gaiden gave you better options to deal with stuff you can't see

Rising's defensive options are all tied to enemy / attack positioning in relation to Raiden from the current camera perspective.

Basically Rising's mechanics fall apart when you can't see things in a game that has problems showing you things.

The only thing that wouldn't be immediately addressed by sensible camera mechanics are the rocket troopers. The laser is a clear enough sign that something is about to shoot you, but there's no reasonable visual cue on or off screen for when the rocket is about to launch. You're forced to immediately kill the rocket troopers before doing anything else, or left to just either run around waiting for the missile to miss or sit in blade mode for an unreasonable amount of time waiting to cut the missile. It's not particularly difficult, just something that requires no nuance or skill, and if there was some UI element like a flashing laser when it's about to fire, or a mini lock-on like the GRAD, or just a slower missile it would allow me more leeway about how to manage an encounter without diminishing the difficulty.

The only thing that wouldn't be immediately addressed by sensible camera mechanics are the rocket troopers. The laser is a clear enough sign that something is about to shoot you, but there's no reasonable visual cue on or off screen for when the rocket is about to launch. You're forced to immediately kill the rocket troopers before doing anything else, or left to just either run around waiting for the missile to miss or sit in blade mode for an unreasonable amount of time waiting to cut the missile. It's not particularly difficult, just something that requires no nuance or skill, and if there was some UI element like a flashing laser when it's about to fire, or a mini lock-on like the GRAD, or just a slower missile it would allow me more leeway about how to manage an encounter without diminishing the difficulty.

An indication as to right when the RPG will fire would be good. I don't know how feasible or effective it'd be to have a slow-down moment — like when you approach Monsoon after stunning him — each time an RPG is about to hit you, allowing you to either enter blade mode or dodge out of the way, but I'd appreciate it. Perhaps the camera could swing around to focus on the missile if you decide to enter blade mode, though that could get annoying if you're just happen to use blade mode for another reason when a rocket approaches.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It'd be better if your just had a better option to deal with them than Ninja Running out of the way

Since that mechanic is so unpredictable depending on the obstacles surrounding you.

I don't think Rising's camera would be such a problem if Raiden just had better options to deal with some of the shit the game throws at you

Same thing with bullets. They pretty much only exist to rob you of your no damage, yet your only option to defend against them is to stop whatever you're doing and Ninja Run in circles or something.(don't accidentally run into a crate tho or Raiden will hop/fail at hopping it and get hit during the animation)

I wouldn't have minded the camera so much if the game didn't have it move on its own to try and focus on things it deems important. I found several fights to be rather annoying on Very Hard because it would steer itself away from what I was trying to focus on.

Liked the game a lot but I think it's my least favorite Platinum game besides MadWorld.

An indication as to right when the RPG will fire would be good. I don't know how feasible or effective it'd be to have a slow-down moment — like when you approach Monsoon after stunning him — each time an RPG is about to hit you, allowing you to either enter blade mode or dodge out of the way, but I'd appreciate it. Perhaps the camera could swing around to focus on the missile if you decide to enter blade mode, though that could get annoying if you're just happen to use blade mode for another reason when a rocket approaches.
I don't think there'd be a good reason for that outside of a boss sequence or something similar, I'm already pretty iffy on the missile-running QTE against missiles from damaged gunships, since it breaks the flow and the scripting will often bug out if there are multiple enemies left. The only place where I found that particular prompt appropriate was the first one you fought running along the pillars, since the fight felt challenging. I actually like having to battle GRADs while looking for opportunities to dispatch the missiles chasing me, but the trooper RPGs shoot too fast and are too easily dodged for anything interesting to happen.
It'd be better if your just had a better option to deal with them than Ninja Running out of the way

Since that mechanic is so unpredictable depending on the obstacles surrounding you.

I don't think Rising's camera would be such a problem if Raiden just had better options to deal with some of the shit the game throws at you

Same thing with bullets. They pretty much only exist to rob you of your no damage, yet your only option to defend against them is to stop whatever you're doing and Ninja Run in circles or something.(don't accidentally run into a crate tho or Raiden will hop/fail at hopping it and get hit during the animation)

I've never had a personal issue with bullets during my no-damage (mostly) S-run of revengeance. It's fun to deflect them with ninja run and pretty badass when Raiden shrugs off a whole clip of assault rifle rounds, but I think Platinum was sort of confused by what purpose they serve in the game. In terms of lore Raiden should be pretty much immune to small arms fire, but I don't think Platinum was willing to make Raiden absolutely bulletproof. The half-measure of having bullets do negligible damage but cause occasional staggers seems sort of iffy, for sure. The only times I had difficulty avoiding bullet fire was against GRADs, since they shoot constantly but you don't have the option of dispatching them first. Raiden is invulnerable during zandatsus but I'll sometimes catch a bullet or two trying to blade mode the cores out from the mobs.

All in all, Rising isn't a particularly difficult game and it's actually extremely basic mechanically. I don't really have an issue with what they have so far but it definitely needs polish and refinement. I think the real triumph of this game is pacing, it's extremely replayable and very lean.

Got the platinum yesterday!

S-Ranking Revengeance was wayyy easier than I thought it would be. Only like 5 trouble spots or so throughout the whole story. Still though, fuck VR 18 & 19. My god their awfulness will hunt me to the grave.

Got the platinum yesterday!

S-Ranking Revengeance was wayyy easier than I thought it would be. Only like 5 trouble spots or so throughout the whole story. Still though, fuck VR 18 & 19. My god their awfulness will hunt me to the grave.

17 is worse imo. 18 is at least based on normal gameplay and even with the camera BS, it doesn't involve kiting enemies with the awful sub-weapon controls.

Have you done the DLC VR missions? Did you find 27 worse or better than 17-19?

Akainu

Back into it. And now I'm playing Megaman.

Did they just make 9-11 part of the Metal Gear universe? No...no... th...this is just a spin off on metal gear earth-11

Akainu

I'm talking about qte enemy finishes. And those parts with running up/down and flying part. The combat isn't anything special ain't bad though.

The combat isn't anything special ain't bad though.

EhOcdMy.gif

LogicStep

So I love this kind of game but I'm not sure if it's worth $60. And what's the best version to get, 360 or ps3? I might get it cause I know I'll get hours of entertainment out of it from replaying it.

Top Bottom