• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

I have a question. You know sometime when you are in a middle of a fight and occasionally the game slow down (not due to faults) and the corner of the screen have blue flares. What does it mean? If it have a Japanese character, it can either mean zandatsu or slash (Like for GRAD or Metal Gear Excelsus). But it doesn't. What are you suppose to do in that context?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
similarly effective on all difficulties? s-ranking revengeance mode has me shaking in my boots.

ahhh. thanks.

I think EM grenades are less effective on certain enemies,(Bosses obviously and other rare cases like the Grad at the end of chapter 2) and don't work at all vs others

but RP grenades are effective vs all regular enemy types on all difficulties

I don't even know what the 3rd grenade type does because it doesn't fucking matter. RP grenades are already the best in every situation

Idk how I managed to S Rank that one, every fight he'd always get some cheap shot in on me. Eventually I just gave up and just went through with the whole fight afterwards and still got the S even without the no damage bonus.

Just take him out quick and cut all the things he throws at you so you can pick up the drops.

I managed to do it last night WITH the no damage bonus. Pretty much got lucky and he only did easy to parry moves on one of my attempts. What I hated was if he ever did that really quick flurry of attacks it was pretty much impossible to block every hit.

Now I'm stuck at the Grad in the lobby at the beginning of Chapter 4. >_<

I have a question. You know sometime when you are in a middle of a fight and occasionally the game slow down (not due to faults) and the corner of the screen have blue flares. What does it mean? If it have a Japanese character, it can either mean zandatsu or slash (Like for GRAD or Metal Gear Excelsus). But it doesn't. What are you suppose to do in that context?

In one of the codec calls, Doktor says that if you go into Blade Mode right at that moment, your attacks will do more damage. I'm not really sure how much more damage you actually do, but I did notice that I took down a GRAD unusually fast by going into blade mode each time I got one of those slowdown moments.

zainetor

Banned

there are three types of character. Maybe you are referring to the ninja run one.
Btw it's written on the manual.

Ugh can't beat the final boss just because I can't get the cuts right when he chucks the giant boulders. Get the first cut then the camera jams downward making it frigging hard to align the next one.

I managed to do it last night WITH the no damage bonus. Pretty much got lucky and he only did easy to parry moves on one of my attempts. What I hated was if he ever did that really quick flurry of attacks it was pretty much impossible to block every hit.

Now I'm stuck at the Grad in the lobby at the beginning of Chapter 4. >_<

For most boss fights, you don't need the no damage bonus. Monsoon is much easier if you forget about the no damage bonus. What you need is to beat him in less than 7 minutes, get a 30 hit combo, and get a certain amount of BP. The S rank total is only 8000 points and killing him nets you an automatic 2000 points.

Even with most encounters, all you have to do is make sure you get all of the zandatsus, get a decent combo, and kill all enemies quickly to get an S rank.

For most boss fights, you don't need the no damage bonus. Monsoon is much easier if you forget about the no damage bonus. What you need is to beat him in less than 7 minutes, get a 30 hit combo, and get a certain amount of BP. The S rank total is only 8000 points and killing him nets you an automatic 2000 points.

Even with most encounters, all you have to do is make sure you get all of the zandatsus, get a decent combo, and kill all enemies quickly to get an S rank.

I've found most encounters easier to just do the no damage bonus on. Even on Monsoon I tried to get the 30 hit combo and found that to be even harder. Monsoon's the only one I found that difficult to S-rank period.

popyea

The blue edges means your blade mode will go into SUPER slow motion. Going into blade mode manually with enough fuel will slow time down to 50%, but doing it when it prompts you with the blue edges will make enemies 90% slower. You get the super slow mo opportunities by using certain attacks or completing certain combos on unarmored or weakened armored enemies. The running slide is an example of a single attack that does it.

Hypron

I've found most encounters easier to just do the no damage bonus on. Even on Monsoon I tried to get the 30 hit combo and found that to be even harder. Monsoon's the only one I found that difficult to S-rank period.

You can easily get a 35 hits combo right at the end of the fight when you cut him to pieces.

Just smash square or x as fast as you can. The time where you're unable to get any more hits is a bit random but I could get the required amount a little more than half the time. There's a checkpoint right before it so if you're unable to get the 2000 combo points, just restart from last checkpoint before the game saves a new checkpoint.

Endo Punk

Im having a real hard time getting an S rank with two GRADS in the sewer chapter. I don't know if the game is glitching on me but sometimes the fuel cell doesn't appear when I kill with a special or sometimes the game doesn't add the no damage bonus even though I received no damage, it's really getting annoying.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Im having a real hard time getting an S rank with two GRADS in the sewer chapter. I don't know if the game is glitching on me but sometimes the fuel cell doesn't appear when I kill with a special or sometimes the game doesn't add the no damage bonus even though I received no damage, it's really getting annoying.

You not using enough grenades it sounds like

Hypron

You probably took damage during the first phase of the fight or called Courtney/went into the customization menu after having taken damage if you can't get the no damage bonus.

Endo Punk

You probably took damage during the first phase of the fight or called Courtney/went into the customization menu after having taken damages if you can't get the no damage bonus.

That's probably it. I had to redo the chapter from the beginning and managed to get S at the end. Just 5 more to go.

Amaron

Banned
Finally beat Very Hard mode today. As much as I love the new enemy placement and such mixing things up, the
fist fight portion with armstrong was downright cruel
. I had to restart nearly 20 times (laugh all you want :<).

Time for Revengeance. After that, it's time to S rank dis game.

Also, what's the deal with monsoon's rapid attacks? I remember the first time I versed him I could always perfect parry his final attack to get a zandetsu to smash him out of magnet mode but I cannot do it anymore. His rapid attacks also kill my parry even though I can parry the first few hits of the chain fine. It becomes ridiculous after.

As much as I love the new enemy placement and such mixing things up, the
fist fight portion with armstrong was downright cruel
. I had to restart nearly 20 times (laugh all you want :<).
I never figured out what the game wanted from me. I got him down below 99% once and it didn't end, and when I finally did get it he was at 99.2%.

Endo Punk

I never figured out what the game wanted from me. I got him down below 99% once and it didn't end, and when I finally did get it he was at 99.2%.

You have to stay alive for 3 minutes. Much safer to just dodge his attacks and keep away if you want the no damage bonus for S rank.

Gbraga

0DMYRxn.gif

That was a good review :C

I know, already old, but I just came back from the ban valley

Cheddahz

Banned
I started the game last night and I don't know if it's that I suck at the game or not, but it just seems like I keep on dying (I'm playing on normal). I'm not having any trouble with regular cyborgs, but when it comes to Metal Gears, I'm having a hard time. I'm actually
at the Bladewolf boss on R01 at the moment and I'm having a hard time with him
. Are there any tips or something that could help me out?

I started the game last night and I don't know if it's that I suck at the game or not, but it just seems like I keep on dying (I'm playing on normal). I'm not having any trouble with regular cyborgs, but when it comes to Metal Gears, I'm having a hard time. I'm actually
at the Bladewolf boss on R01 at the moment and I'm having a hard time with him
. Are there any tips or something that could help me out?

learn to parry

press in the direction of the attack + light attack

don't just press forward.

Anticipate the attack and look for the visual cues (eyes turning red, limbs turning orange)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah, this parry system is pretty hard to learn

It takes some getting used to, but keeping a few things in mind might help.

Parry earlier rather than later. If you parry too early, you just get a block, but if you do it too late, you'll get hit. Obivously, if you parry just right, then you get a counterattack that does a lot of damage and usually initiates Zandatsu. The timing is pretty generous, so just wait for the attack to descend and press towards+weak attack.

Also, keep in mind that each strike must be parried individually. If the enemy does a three hit combo, you need to press towards+weak attack three times.

It'll become second nature in no time.

Endo Punk

I AM THE STORM BRINGER! Lightening God would have been better but can't complain, I have S ranked revengeance and it feels good :D Final trophy left for Plat; Lover, not a fighter... as I leave dismembered bodies in my wake.

Akainu

THE TIME HAS COME!!! I got a dollar month of gamefly and Rising is on the way. Since my opinion is the only one that truly matters lets see if it is worthy to sit upon the throne with the likes of Ac!d 1&2.

Yeah, what the heck. I picked up NG3:RE. If DLC for this game had come out earlier, I might not have made that mistake.

Yeah, thanks Obama

I've been getting back into DMC3SE in the mean time, and it's so jarring to not have some sort of fast traversal mechanic like ninja run or panther form (or even DMC4 sprint or DmC superman glitch). It makes the game feel so much slower for some reason, like there's no sense of urgency, even though the combat itself is pretty damn demanding.

I hope some sort of fast run and adaptive soundtracks become genre norms

zainetor

Banned
You don't need to block anything in the ray fight. The game is telling you to ninja run or jump over shit for that entire chapter.

if you never block, it takes forever on high difficulties. Iv'e never tried normal, but I think it's the same thing.

Top Bottom