• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

CorvoSol

So I'm stuck fighting Sundowner and cannot win. Anybody know a useful workaround for slicing a perfect straight line upward? Because I cannot do a perfectly vertical slice. Not in the amount of time given before he breaks his wall up.

So I'm stuck fighting Sundowner and cannot win. Anybody know a useful workaround for slicing a perfect straight line upward? Because I cannot do a perfectly vertical slice. Not in the amount of time given before he breaks his wall up.

Just attack him directly and dodge (square+X) to the side every time he tries to hit you with his shields; time it right and you'll never get hit, the fight will be over in less than 2min.

There's no need for precise cutting (though it does train you for a part later in the game). If you want to cut easily, "claw" your pointer-finger off R1 to square, line up your slice with your thumb like usual and cut with your pointer-finger, not needing to move the right stick.

You can always dodge and cheese him pretty easily, but I'd only recommend that for getting an S-rank and not the first playthrough, since the fight becomes pretty dry without his second form and the vocal track. As for cutting the panels, realize that it cuts when you release the stick, not when you push it across, and if you press light attack it will cut exactly across the indicated line on the screen (though I've found it unnecessary for any of the cutting sections in the game, but your mileage may vary). Another strategy is to just run away from him til he decides to do the battering ram move with the panels, and if you parry it and QTE you get to cut off the panels without having to do the precision section.

CorvoSol

You can always dodge and cheese him pretty easily, but I'd only recommend that for getting an S-rank and not the first playthrough, since the fight becomes pretty dry without his second form and the vocal track. As for cutting the panels, realize that it cuts when you release the stick, not when you push it across, and if you press light attack it will cut exactly across the indicated line on the screen (though I've found it unnecessary for any of the cutting sections in the game, but your mileage may vary). Another strategy is to just run away from him til he decides to do the battering ram move with the panels, and if you parry it and QTE you get to cut off the panels without having to do the precision section.

Wait, you can parry that goddamn battering ram attack? Like you can parry his regular sword strikes?

Hypron

Even for S ranking the fight, I would recommend cutting his shields. If you cut them you get a checkpoint and he'll call reinforcements, which will give you 2 zandatsus.

There's no need for precise cutting (though it does train you for a part later in the game). If you want to cut easily, "claw" your pointer-finger off R1 to square, line up your slice with your thumb like usual and cut with your pointer-finger, not needing to move the right stick.

Or you can use control scheme B which is a lot better if you use the front buttons to cut stuff, since you don't need to use the claw.

Wait, you can parry that goddamn battering ram attack? Like you can parry his regular sword strikes?
Yep. Also, the best time to try to cut a panel is when he flips back after a riposte and turtles up, since you have a ton of time and it flows pretty naturally, plus you get a preview on the cut via the light on his panel arrangement as it locks into place before the red squares show up. If he's just walking around with the armor on like an asshole, trigger it from a distance with the Sai or just run behind him til he quits it.

The cinematic E.Honda hundred sword stabs thing and the delayed slash in his second form are his only two unblockable attacks (they glow yellow while everything else glows orange). Everything is pretty dodge-able too except maybe the battering ram, which makes him one of the easiest bosses in the game once you figure it out. If you pay attention you'll see that just dodging around and hitting him actually hurts him quite a bit even if the fight doesn't have multiple phase points like the previous ones. S-ranking is a bit harder since it's not enough to just no-damage him, which is tricky enough with the gunships that circle the pad, but you'll also need a high combo count and zandatsus or a no-kill with the wooden sword.

Akainu

Just got this one today.
B's everywhere! :D
Its pretty fun once you get used to it. You cant just go in and mash X and win.
Right it's more parry and win.
Yes, it seems to take a very liberal definition of "lock on".
What makes the lock on even worse is that you can't move the camera when using it. Lord help you if there is a attack coming and Raiden is right in front of the enemy.

Iskander

Neo Member
Just got no damage on Mistral on Hard. I kind of cheesed it - lots of ninja-running around and liberal use of restarting from checkpoints, but still feels good. I'm going to try for the platinum - my first attempt at trophy-chasing this generation - so we'll see how it goes!

Still can't get over how good this game is - action game of the forever!

Noone but me uses the juggle loop on Sundowner?! It's pretty much the quickest way to kill him and S rank the rank...assuming you can get it to work.

Anyway, found a gif I fully approve of being in MGR2 somewhere:

indian-action-boss.gif

I want my MGR2 CRAZY! Make George do this, I don't care, just let it be in the game somehow.

LTWood12

Posted this in the random Platinum thread. Anyone else notice this?

Sorry if old. Just took this pic off my tv while checking trophies. I know this vita icon wasn't there a week or two ago. Vita version of MGR confirmed? I don't have the credentials to create a separate thread.

BIRGlHPCAAEGl_d.jpg:large

CorvoSol

There's a point in the fight where lots of nanopastes drop, provided you're good at blade mode sections.

Could you be more specific? Because I'm not even lasting as long as 150% against this guy. Honestly, I hate everything about the fight against this boss. I hate his unexplained powers, I hate that he has no discernible pattern compared to the other bosses, I hate that, unless Portable Ops has a worse final boss, this is the single most disappointing final battle in the series.

I really liked this game, but man, this last battle is the most disappointing thing in the game.

Could you be more specific? Because I'm not even lasting as long as 150% against this guy. Honestly, I hate everything about the fight against this boss. I hate his unexplained powers, I hate that he has no discernible pattern compared to the other bosses, I hate that, unless Portable Ops has a worse final boss, this is the single most disappointing final battle in the series.

I really liked this game, but man, this last battle is the most disappointing thing in the game.

Don't bother parrying anything, just dodge it all (except maybe the backfist). He's the only boss that requires you to use the evasion mechanic, which is why a lot of people have a hard time beating him on their first playthroughs. You can run under the platform when he's throwing the rocks at you but if you've practiced manual blade mode cutting they shouldn't really be an issue.

CorvoSol

Don't bother parrying anything, just dodge it all (except maybe the backfist). He's the only boss that requires you to use the evasion mechanic, which is why a lot of people have a hard time beating him on their first playthroughs. You can run under the platform when he's throwing the rocks at you but if you've practiced manual blade mode cutting they shouldn't really be an issue.

I never even get as far as the rock toss.

He doesn't have a ton of moves.

-When he charges up an attack, run away (stay on the outside of the flame pillars when he summons them).
-When he attacks you directly (punches/kicks), parry.
-When he goes to grab you (yellow glow), either run away and jump or dodge backwards twice.

JPKellams

Platinum blog: Behind the scenes of the MGR Soundtrack

It was an incredible surprise to me seeing a track from Ferry Corsten in this game, because I always loved his work in the Trance music genre. So glad JP made this possible.

Now, release the song on the game :p

Indeed is amazing.

No worries. It was lots of fun to introduce him to Jamie and have them go off and make something awesome.

Hopefully we will get to do some awesome stuff together again someday.

vg260

Hey platinum, do you know if a 360 Games on Demand version is coming out next month when the typical waiting period expires? I've been waiting to buy the digital version. Thanks.

CorvoSol

Is there a way through this fight that doesn't require me to be able to do the perfect sword strikes? I can't line that magic up when he throws the towers, so I duck under that, but when he turns green hitting the square on his back is like hitting the lines for Sundowner to me, except in the Sundowner fight I still had Nanopaste, and here I haven't a drop.

CatPee

Is there a way through this fight that doesn't require me to be able to do the perfect sword strikes? I can't line that magic up when he throws the towers, so I duck under that, but when he turns green hitting the square on his back is like hitting the lines for Sundowner to me, except in the Sundowner fight I still had Nanopaste, and here I haven't a drop.

How the hell did you manage to progress through the game if you couldn't hit that huge green square on the last boss? >_>

CorvoSol

How the hell did you manage to progress through the game if you couldn't hit that huge green square on the last boss? >_>

It's called normal enemies don't auto-retaliate to the tune of 5% of my life bar if I nick them in the wrong spot. I can hit the square on enemies just fine, but we're talking about a fight in which I have very little HP and the boss deals a pretty good amount and has a high area of attack, meaning I tend to be nervous by the time I'm that far.

And again, if I so much as nick an area that isn't that square, he grabs my sword and there goes at least 5%

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

I figure now would be a great time to post a comment I wanted to post a while ago. I remember PlatinumGamesJP on here being pissed an alternate version of A Stranger I remain leaked. I can sort of understand why, but my take on it is that it's another really great look behind the scenes of the soundtrack. To me the alternate track sounds just as good, has some unique accents like a piano segment, and the different vocals hints at an expanded or at least slightly different role for Mistral. I've been listening to a version that combines the two songs on Youtube and I love it. The slightly unfinished production to me does not detract from the finished product, on the contrary I think it adds an extra layer.

CorvoSol

Light attack slices along the line you zandatsu

Yeah, I knew that, but lining the line up isn't easy is what I meant.

In any case, I finished the game. The final boss is still the most disappointing final boss in the series for me (still haven't beaten MG, MG2, and PO, though). The ending was okay, although I felt it was kind of wide open for a sequel and didn't really resolve a whole lot. Come to think of it, why did everyone of the villains know Raiden's name was Jack, or about Jack the Ripper?

Whatever the case, the game was super fun, and I think the first level is probably my favorite, tied with the showdown with Sam. Monsoon was the only boss I really, really did not like.

Riposte

Replayed the final boss against for kicks. Still holds up, cutscenes and all. My only issue with the game is that they didn't put "slice exactly as shown" on a shoulder button while in blade mode. Should never have to let go of the right stick.

CorvoSol

So this game is 4 years after MGS4, right? Does that mean
Snake is dead? I mean, with all the cyborg technology you'd think Otacon could've uploaded his brain to a slick new body.

demidar

So this game is 4 years after MGS4, right? Does that mean
Snake is dead? I mean, with all the cyborg technology you'd think Otacon could've uploaded his brain to a slick new body.

He'd probably prefer to just pass away I reckon. As Otocon said "He's had a hard life".

CorvoSol

He'd probably prefer to just pass away I reckon. As Otocon said "He's had a hard life".

I figure
he would, too. On the other hand, I don't think for a minute that Kojima would ever let Snake die.
Especially not now that
having a shiny new cyborg body essentially means that you could have sequels with young Snake if you wanted to.

Also, because the game never really explains it
Armstrong isn't a Cyborg, is he? He just has nanomachines?

demidar

I figure
he would, too. On the other hand, I don't think for a minute that Kojima would ever let Snake die.
Especially not now that
having a shiny new cyborg body essentially means that you could have sequels with young Snake if you wanted to.

Also, because the game never really explains it
Armstrong isn't a Cyborg, is he? He just has nanomachines?

I don't think Armstrong's a cyborg, he has a nanomachine heart but every other part of him is flesh.

Tokubetsu

Feel ashamed to ask this but what the hell am I doing wrong at the bridge run segment in stage 2? No matter which direction I take a heli missiles hits the bridge and kills me after the qte.

Top Bottom