• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkpen

Banned
dabookerman said:
Well, it's quite tough to put the main 3 in order. I mean I love them all. I guess MGS3, then a tie in between MGS2 and 1. Since I wasn't part of the group who hated Raiden and the long cutscenes.

The bosses were great!

Some of the bosses will be talked about for years to come I think. Any to surpass The End fight? Hmmm. Well, some of the bosses are evolutions of previous bosses maybe? Or a mixture of two. It's hard to explain without going into detail.
Some bosses are very nostalgic and do delivery on fanservice.
This game, does however, have one of the most epic fucking boss fights ever in my opinion.
Story wise, I think Hideo Kojima did an utterly fantastic job of tying all the games in the series, and making them into a true saga. The story DOES end. This time, I think there is no excuse whatsoever to send Kojima death threats and shit. I think this game is his game for the fans, it truly is for the fans, and asking for more MGS games will just become selfish in my opinion.
The sound, well, I had the pleasure in playing this in 5.1 surround sound. Oh my fucking god, it sounds incredible. Any reviewer giving the sound less than a 10, needs their ears examined. It sound's incredibly. And with the music, you have the most film like, cinematic game ever created. To me, and this is just my personal opinion, the production value, music and over all epicness can be compared to Return of the King. (LOTR being my favourite film series).
There's a severe lack of praising Mr. Shuyo Murata for the story and scripting as well, but then again, just how much do we even know of what parts Mr. Murata actually contributed to? (outside of the scripting for codec calls, as that seems to be where most of his work goes to)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Darkpen said:
There's a severe lack of praising Mr. Shuyo Murata for the story and scripting as well, but then again, just how much do we even know of what parts Mr. Murata actually contributed to? (outside of the scripting for codec calls, as that seems to be where most of his work goes to)

Murata will be the Kojima of the next MGs. I can feel it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
NeoUltima said:
Whew, thanks :). I preordered awhile ago, but I had a feeling they may be taking more preorders than they could supply.

We're not taking more preorders than what we have shipping to us on Day 1.

The LE guide... I don't know the situation on that yet. We didn't get them in today, but we did get the regular ones.

I just finished MGS3 again cause I cant get enough of it. I still think the final 2 hours of that game is the greatest final hours in any game, nothing comes close to being as heart pumping and epic as those final battles.

So does MGS4 beat out MGS3 has having the best ending to any game ever?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
So I caved in and reserved the LE... I'm a sucker for the behind the scenes stuff and that kickin boxart.

Darkpen said:

Who ever wrote most of the story, deserves a lot of praise. I am realllly satisfied. I never thought I could be. So many endings to series have been clusterfucks.

Lakitu

st5fu
MiamiWesker said:
I just finished MGS3 again cause I cant get enough of it. I still think the final 2 hours of that game is the greatest final hours in any game, nothing comes close to being as heart pumping and epic as those final battles.

MGS 3 ending will be hard to top, that ending was fucking unbelievable. Volgin fight onwards.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
MiamiWesker said:

Absolutely. I can honestly say it shits on that during the whole game. Not just at the ending.

dabookerman said:
Right guys. i have completed the game. Feel free to ask questions, and later on I will provide a completely spoiler free impression on the entire game.
But to some it up, this has now officially become my favourite game ever. I cannot think of anything bad about it. Gameplay is short, and long, depends how you want to play it. Took me 22 hours to complete. But I did sort of rush it. Next play through will come swiftly, and with greater detail.

dabookerman said:
Well, it's quite tough to put the main 3 in order. I mean I love them all. I guess MGS3, then a tie in between MGS2 and 1. Since I wasn't part of the group who hated Raiden and the long cutscenes.

The bosses were great!

Some of the bosses will be talked about for years to come I think. Any to surpass The End fight? Hmmm. Well, some of the bosses are evolutions of previous bosses maybe? Or a mixture of two. It's hard to explain without going into detail.
Some bosses are very nostalgic and do delivery on fanservice.
This game, does however, have one of the most epic fucking boss fights ever in my opinion.
Story wise, I think Hideo Kojima did an utterly fantastic job of tying all the games in the series, and making them into a true saga. The story DOES end. This time, I think there is no excuse whatsoever to send Kojima death threats and shit. I think this game is his game for the fans, it truly is for the fans, and asking for more MGS games will just become selfish in my opinion.
The sound, well, I had the pleasure in playing this in 5.1 surround sound. Oh my fucking god, it sounds incredible. Any reviewer giving the sound less than a 10, needs their ears examined. It sound's incredibly. And with the music, you have the most film like, cinematic game ever created. To me, and this is just my personal opinion, the production value, music and over all epicness can be compared to Return of the King. (LOTR being my favourite film series).

I jizzed myself.

PS. LOTR is your favorite film series too?! OMG, it's mine also! MGS4 Game of the Erection double confirmed!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This thread is perfect now.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Damn it I entered thd MGS4 spoiler thread accidentally and I tried to close it as soon as possible, but I still saw a little spoiler :(

Life just ain't fair :(

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Lakitu said:
MGS 3 ending will be hard to top, that ending was fucking unbelievable. Volgin fight onwards.
Best ending ever......until MGS4, it looks like.

And dabooker, could you vaguely elaborate and rate the visuals and if they get even more intense later in the game? Again, not relative locale details but the quality of the overall visual punch.

LiquidMetal14

Kingsora said:
Damn it I entered thd MGS4 spoiler thread accidentally and I tried to close it as soon as possible, but I still saw a little spoiler :(

Life just ain't fair :(
Just be lucky you didn't step into the other spoiler thread after evil made one. It was locked after 3 posts but the very first post have ingame/cutscene pics of the game on the thread. If he would've linked to the pics I might not have looked away like a scared little girl. It really was kind of scary when I seen the first pic loading.

I know this sounds too hardcore but this story is too important to wanna know anything 6 days before release.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Best ending ever......until MGS4, it looks like.

And dabooker, could you vaguely elaborate and rate the visuals and if they get even more intense later in the game? Again, not relative locale details but the quality of the overall visual punch.

The visuals are stunning. Simple as. I haven't played uncharted or anything like that, but I guess the closest comparison I could make is.. uh, I'm afraid of doing it lol... Advent Children DIVIDED by 3.

Ok, it's hard to say. The facial animation is fantastic, the attention to detail, sweat, tears, camera effects and so forth are brilliant. The graphical bugs (like clipping) are realllly tiny and not noticable. The game is definatly Next Gen, absolutely. Couldn't be done on last gen. This is definatly one of the best looking games out there. Especially on an artistic level.

And regarding MGS3 ending. I would say MGS4 is a bit like MGS3 ending, but spans out the entire game, sort of.

Lakitu

st5fu
HomerSimpson-Man said:
MGS4....is like MGS3's ending....spanned out the entire game....my...god....

homerav.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
dabookerman said:
the attention to detail, sweat, tears
Spoilers.

Kidding, of course :)

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
LiquidMetal14 said:
What's the word on LE Guide availability?

Just buy it online ,it's $10 cheaper and you don't have to waste gas :)

I went to 4 different ebgames for them to tell me
1. they don't have it
2. they don't know what I'm talking about
and
3. its street dated,

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Just be lucky you didn't step into the other spoiler thread after evil made one. It was locked after 3 posts but the very first post have ingame/cutscene pics of the game on the thread. If he would've linked to the pics I might not have looked away like a scared little girl. It really was kind of scary when I seen the first pic loading.
Well you may consider yourself a lucky man that it was a big image then.

But why did you enter a spoiler thread in the first place? 0_o

f@luS

More than a member.
TTP said:
Absolutely. I can honestly say it shits on that during the whole game. Not just at the ending.
ure making my day seriously. I know how hard u are on game usualy, so i know i can trust u on that.

cant wait. jeez

I must be a masochist, because I keep coming into this thread knowing that wonderful things will be said about the game, and it keeps making the thought of it being some 5 days and change away unbearable. What's worse is that the spoiler thread is right there tempting me to click on it. Why do I do this to myself?! WHY!?!?!?

LiquidMetal14

g35twinturbo said:
Just buy it online ,it's $10 cheaper and you don't have to waste gas :)

I went to 4 different ebgames for them to tell me
1. they don't have it
2. they don't know what I'm talking about
and
3. its street dated,
I just paid the game and LE guide off. It'd be nice to get a hold of the guide prior to but I prefer it being street dated for the 12th.

Darkpen said:
why would that be a spoiler thread question? And there's no fucking way I'm going in there :mad:
Just don't read anything, which is spoiler-tagged anyways, and hit reply. Ask someone to PM it to you since you are weary of reading the thread to find your answer.

LiquidMetal14

Kingsora said:
Well you may consider yourself a lucky man that it was a big image then.

But why did you enter a spoiler thread in the first place? 0_o
I was gonna remind him that evil's thread went up early enough to see that there was already a spoiler thread. The first pic loaded and I quickly looked away. I honestly don't remember it so my reflexes were good. I went onto evil's thread to urge those posting pics to link them and not directly post the images. This is serious bizzle here my izzle........

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
So I'm probably going to the midnight launch. Is it plausible that I get there really late after the line has started moving and most of the crowd has gotten their games so that I have to wait for as short of time as possible? I mean I have a reservation so it's not like I have to worry about them selling out.

So like, what's the latest time I can arrive to the midnight GS launch?

Guys.

Stay OFF of Something Awful. There is a paid banner ad that has MGS4 spoilers that I fortunately didn't read. I can't say if they are true or not.

LiquidMetal14

sykoex said:
So I'm probably going to the midnight launch. Is it plausible that I get there really late after the line has started moving and most of the crowd has gotten their games so that I have to wait for as short of time as possible? I mean I have a reservation so it's not like I have to worry about them selling out.

Maybe they are doing the ticket thing. The GC in my town did that for GTA4. About 10 minutes to midnight they call people in 10's to start lining up inside around the store. It was really easy. If your store isn't doing it that way then show up around a half hour early in a small town and about 1 hour for a bigger town.

Jimmy Stav said:
Guys.

Stay OFF of Something Awful. There is a paid banner ad that has MGS4 spoilers that I fortunately didn't read. I can't say if they are true or not.
What a bunch of wish wash and hee haw. Damnit!

Barrett2

Jimmy Stav said:
What do you mean? Many of the banner ads are paid for by goons.

Damn, now I have to begin avoiding any sites with banner ads targeted to young males? Shit; other than GAF and my school's website, I am sort of running out of open space to roam!

LiquidMetal14

lawblob said:
Damn, now I have to begin avoiding any sites with banner ads targeted to young males? Shit; other than GAF and my school's website, I am sort of running out of open space to roam!
This thread ,and trustworthy people, are still a safe haven.

[HP]

Noo... Nooo.... Nooo... :'(

My PS3 just stoped reading discs!!!!!!! I can't fucking believe this...
Just googled, and it apears this hapens a lot, and I have to send my PS3 to sony, and they should send me a new model in 15~30 days!

My MGS4 is pre ordered, in fact i bought the PS3 almost ONLY to play MGS4, and now the damn console broke up... That's just my luck...
I REAAALY want to play MGS, my mind has been walking around in circles in the last few days eager to play MGS, and now.. I can't!

Sorry for the off topic guys, but.. oh, darn.

Arnie

dabookerman said:
The rumble is excellent. I can safely endorce spending £30 or so just for this game. I am really glad I bought one :3
Dabookerman could you please tell me where you managed to get yours from because i too live in the UK so they are not out yet. If you could link the site it would be much appreciated. I want an optimum Metal Gear Solid experience. A couple of days ago i got a letter from GAME telling me to collect my pre-order pack and Saga dvd, i was so exited. Carrying the package home was immense, with the MGS4 name on the front of the envelope.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
[HP] said:

Just googled, and it apears this hapens a lot, and I have to send my PS3 to sony, and they should send me a new model in 15~30 days!

My MGS4 is pre ordered, in fact i bought the PS3 almost ONLY to play MGS4, and now the damn console broke up... That's just my luck...
I REAAALY want to play MGS, my mind has been walking around in circles in the last few days eager to play MGS, and now.. I can't!

How long ago did you buy it? You might still have an in-store warranty.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
[HP] said:

Man that sucks. You should have bought it at least within 30 days of MGS4's release so you could have returned it at the store for a new one. :(

[HP] said:

Oh, man I'm sorry to hear. My PS3 is also acting up, it takes few time turning on and off the system because it freezes on DVDs and Blu-ray movies and games like Call of Duty 4 every so ofthen.

I pray for it to at least last until after MGS4. :(

EDIT: Damn, I got a 60GB too.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Kagari said:
How long ago did you buy it? You might still have an in-store warranty.
Kagari can you weigh in on how the midnight release is gonna work? here's my question:

sykoex said:

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
sykoex said:
Kagari can you weigh in on how the midnight release is gonna work? here's my question:

As long as you're there by midnight, you'll be fine. You can be there right at midnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom