• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
dabookerman said:
The bosses were great!

Some of the bosses will be talked about for years to come I think. Any to surpass The End fight? Hmmm. Well, some of the bosses are evolutions of previous bosses maybe? Or a mixture of two. It's hard to explain without going into detail.
Some bosses are very nostalgic and do delivery on fanservice.
This game, does however, have one of the most epic fucking boss fights ever in my opinion.
That sounds crazy, but brilliant. I'm so intrigued to see how that works.

DrBo42

Are there any videos from early on the first act people have recorded? I want to see some non-spoiler footage from the retail version.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
I am really getting down to the wire on my MGS re-playthrough aren't I? :lol On MGS2 now, I gotta hurry the heck up!

Anyone paranoid about going to a midnight release like me? Bet you somebody would run in and say something to be a dick.

In Japan, when you purchase the PS3 MGS4 bundle you get this cool bag.

27x00mu.jpg

From my quicktime player:

AAC, Stereo (L R), 48.000 kHz
H.264 Decoder, 1920 x 1080, Millions

Don't know if you can play this on your PS3 but maybe the stats above help?

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Jizztacular! Can this be played on the PS3?

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Can't you media share it to your PS3 from your PC? I play music and videos a lot doing that but only because the PS3 is on the same network as my PC.

chris0701

DancingCactus77 said:
From my quicktime player:

AAC, Stereo (L R), 48.000 kHz
H.264 Decoder, 1920 x 1080, Millions

Don't know if you can play this on your PS3 but maybe the stats above help?

The download is sloooow.:lol

magus

HomerSimpson-Man said:

Just tried it and it didn't work.

Also when playing this on my computer the music sounds a little different than the 480p trailer released before. Can anyone confirm?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I keep on staring at the MGS4 spoilers thread wanting to click it to find out what happens lol
Its like pandoras box...i want to open it!!!! :lol :lol

Yes, much clearer sounds and you can hear lots of subtle sound effects. Especially near the end when the titles coming flying in.

magus said:
Just tried it and it didn't work.

Also when playing this on my computer the music sounds a little different than the 480p trailer released before. Can anyone confirm?

Has anyone been posting spoilers in this thread? Any perm bans? Just curious is all.
My friend works at uniqlo so hes keeping me updated on the situation regarding the UK release.

That sounds crazy, but brilliant. I'm so intrigued to see how that works.

Please don't look too much into it. I guess I am trying to make the game sound exciting for us fans, but I don't want to make up shit :lol

Strike

Yeah...uh, so when are the tv ad's going to start airing? You'd think with all the importance associated with this title (all the hype, this being the final game in this legendary franchise and the PS3's biggest guaranteed AAA exclusive up to this point), Sony would have been pushing this like crazy. I mean they're still running GTA and Haze ad's for christ sake.

dabookerman said:
Has anyone been posting spoilers in this thread? Any perm bans? Just curious is all.
My friend works at uniqlo so hes keeping me updated on the situation regarding the UK release.

Please don't look too much into it. I guess I am trying to make the game sound exciting for us fans, but I don't want to make up shit :lol

<<< UK Gaffer - would appreciate a heads up on any place breaking street date!

Had the game and headset bundle on pre-order from Game but cancelled after the dodgy headset reviews :lol

Salazar

Strike said:
Yeah...uh, so when are the tv ad's going to start airing? You'd think with all the importance associated with this title (all the hype, this being the final game in this legendary franchise and the PS3's biggest guaranteed AAA exclusive up to this point), Sony would have been pushing this like crazy. I mean they're still running GTA and Haze ad's for christ sake.

Does Australia know / care about MGS4 ?

Incidentally, it's oddly liberating to be such a novice that I can study the spoilers thread and still have no clue.

prettyvacant77 said:
<<< UK Gaffer - would appreciate a heads up on any place breaking street date!

Had the game and headset bundle on pre-order from Game but cancelled after the dodgy headset reviews :lol

Forward me this headset review please, i'm interested to know ;p

So far, I am not on the lookout on broken street dates, all I have left is my LE to come from Play and that's it. At least I will get to look at the blu ray docs before I go so that's good.

Wow, in term of color and lighting saturation that 1080p theatrical trailer is probably the best one yet. And MGS4 has a pretty damn pristine image quality to boot.

hirokazu

HomerSimpson-Man said:
As I already mentioned yesterday, this trailer is up on the Japanese PlayStation Store:

hirokazu said:
BTW, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned here yet, but the US theatrical trailer went up on the Japanese PSN Store today in HD, along with some report about the MGS4 completion even at the cinema last month. Looks damn sweet.
It's 1080p, AVC 9Mbps, AAC 125kbps and it's very very pretty. It's about 180MB on PSN, not sure why the one linked on this page is almost twice the size.

hirokazu said:
As I already mentioned yesterday, this trailer is up on the Japanese PlayStation Store:

It's 1080p, AVC 9Mbps, AAC 125kbps and it's very very pretty. It's about 180MB on PSN, not sure why the one linked on this page is almost twice the size.

Sweet! Regarding the size difference, maybe this one is encoded at a higher bitrate than the PSN one.

SamuraiX-

@dabookerman. Just a quick question for you. :)

You mentioned that Act 4 was basically orgasmic if you're a fan of the game. How exactly was Act 5 in your opinion? I'm guessing there's an Act 5 based on how there were "5 areas you visit throughout the world." You don't have to say whether or not there are more Acts after that though. So how did Act 5 stack up? :D

If you don't want to post your answer here in the thread, then you can PM me. Just remember I'm still trying to remain spoiler-free. ^_^

UK GAFFERS

Bravo is showing Playr TV right now, video review scores it 10/10 (no footage that hasn't been in any trailers).

SPOILER WARNING - The Playr2 show is showing an entire boss fight, might wanna steer clear!

Both shown on Bravo 2, Sky Channel 154

Yoboman

Are there any videos from early on the first act people have recorded? I want to see some non-spoiler footage from the retail version.

I wouldn't mind seeing a good video of this either, only from act 1 though. Like a "first 10 minutes" from Gamersyde. Don't want to venture into the spoiler thread to see if there is one though

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Wow, in term of color and lighting saturation that 1080p theatrical trailer is probably the best one yet. And MGS4 has a pretty damn pristine image quality to boot.
Pics? My computer won't run 1080p

Schrade

The 1080p theatrical trailer from the Japanese PSN is deinterlaced improperly :( Lots of jaggies here and there. Still better than what was out there though.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Hey dabookerman, do you see a lot of gekko's in the game? Are they hard to fight?

I cant see those answers being spoilers, but if you dont want to post them in here then you can just PM me the answer.

Darkpen

Banned
DancingCactus77 said:
In Japan, when you purchase the PS3 MGS4 bundle you get this cool bag.

27x00mu.jpg
wow, is that like... what, really strong paper, or some sort of mesh fabric? D:

edit:
kotaku said:
Your first thoughts may be that the Metal Gear Solid 4 marketing juggernaut maaaay have gone a step too far this time. The offer? Buy a gunmetal or regular MGS4 bundle in Japan and (while stocks last!) you get this...bag. It's one of those cotton, canvas-y type bags that you all should be using to throw your groceries in instead of plastic bags. Which may sound boring, but seeing as it's big enough to hold a PS3 box in, it's also mighty practical! After all, most gaming trinkets are just junk to clutter your shelves with. It's nice seeing one you can not only use on a day-to-day basis, but is environmentally conscious to boot!
ooooohhh D:

Do want :(

hirokazu

Schrade said:
The 1080p theatrical trailer from the Japanese PSN is deinterlaced improperly :( Lots of jaggies here and there. Still better than what was out there though.
Really? I never noticed interlacing issues when I played it on the PS3... Except maybe when the Kojima Productions logo swipes away.

I'm uploading a bunch of screenshots I took of the trailer right now. There's a stunning amount of detail all over the place when you go frame-by-frame that you'd never notice just watching it straight up. I'm blown away... I mean, wow, I completely do not understand complaints about modelling and stuff not up to par with some other games.

It. Is. Incredible. :0

But you can also see if you go frame by frame that the trailer, like the game, was designed for 1280x720 rather than 1920x1080.

FabCam

dabookerman said:
Forward me this headset review please, i'm interested to know ;p

So far, I am not on the lookout on broken street dates, all I have left is my LE to come from Play and that's it. At least I will get to look at the blu ray docs before I go so that's good.

Have you beaten the game yet?

itsgreen

ok... im in a bit of a pickle..

Kojima is signing today in my 'neighborhood'... 25km away...

I don't really care for MGS, but I find it kinda cool he is here...

But the trainticket is 6 bucks, and there are going to be tons of people I don't want to associate with...

Should I get my console signed?

(and if so should I bring my 360 or my PS3 :p)

itsgreen said:
ok... im in a bit of a pickle..

Kojima is signing today in my 'neighborhood'... 25km away...

I don't really care for MGS, but I find it kinda cool he is here...

But the trainticket is 6 bucks, and there are going to be tons of people I don't want to associate with...

Should I get my console signed?

No, since there are limited spots you might as well not be a douche and let a fan get it.

hirokazu

OK, I've finished uploading screenshots from the HD trailer for those who wanted it. The image quality is obviously nowhere near the press release screenshots, because video compression + JPEG compression = :(

There's some details here which I had not noticed in the trailer prior to going through frame-by-frame, some of which may constitute spoilers for the very finicky, but nothing major, if you've seen the theatrical trailer, you should not really worry.

I don't think I really need to say this, but just in case: DO NOT VIEW THE IMAGES AT THE LINK IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE THEATRICAL STYLE TRAILER AND DO NOT WANT TO BE SPOILED BY ITS CONTENTS!

Link: http://tlli165.web.cse.unsw.edu.au/public/MGS4/

itsgreen said:
But lets say, for arguments sake, I am a douche....
25km is within the neighbourhood now? WTF?

Anyway, if someone takes a picture or video of you giving Kojima a 360 to sign and puts it up, we'll allbe able to see the douche :p

itsgreen said:

PS3's are shiny so they are hard to sign. They are also black and these signings are usually done with a black pen, so as werid as it sounds a 360 is the right way to go...

itsgreen

hirokazu said:
25km is within the neighbourhood now? WTF?

Anyway, if someone takes a picture or video of you giving Kojima a 360 to sign and puts it up, we'll allbe able to see the douche :p

Not really but I always read about Americans driving 50 miles or so to go to a best buy or something, so figured, neigbourhood is a relative term, hence the quotation marks ;)

Keyser Soze said:
PS3's are shiny so they are hard to sign. They are also black and these signings are usually done with a black pen, so as werid as it sounds a 360 is the right way to go...

Yeah figured I bring a white marker

itsgreen

revolverjgw said:
Get your 360 signed and then slap him in the face and yell ''DID YOU RIKE IT?!?!''

I am a little afraid he will go Solid Snake on me ass when I do that...

(for the record, I most likely will get MGS4)

Yoboman

hirokazu said:
OK, I've finished uploading screenshots from the HD trailer for those who wanted it. The image quality is obviously nowhere near the press release screenshots, because video compression + JPEG compression = :(

There's some details here which I had not noticed in the trailer prior to going through frame-by-frame, some of which may constitute spoilers for the very finicky, but nothing major, if you've seen the theatrical trailer, you should not really worry.

I don't think I really need to say this, but just in case: DO NOT VIEW THE IMAGES AT THE LINK IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE THEATRICAL STYLE TRAILER AND DO NOT WANT TO BE SPOILED BY ITS CONTENTS!

Link: http://tlli165.web.cse.unsw.edu.au/public/MGS4/
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom