• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand the logic behind that decision. It was odd enough that it seemed liked it would split the installs between acts, but 2-3 minutes of caching temporary data? They might as well be considered 2-3 minute load times on top of the initial install.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Frog said:
No way to permanently install everything? So it's more like a load/cache rather than an install. Sucks...
My understanding is - it's doing an *exact* same thing first Halo did, and the chapter loading/caching lasts for about the same as well. Which is not ideal, but I didn't have a problem with that at all.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Pai Pai Master said:
I don't understand the logic behind that decision. It was odd enough that it seemed liked it would split the installs between acts, but 2-3 minutes of caching temporary data? They might as well be considered 2-3 minute load times on top of the initial install.

BTW, is the initial 8 minutes install actually a one time one?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Eh, it's not the biggest deal. The difference was that Microsoft reserved a section of the hard drive for cache and I don't think Sony does....I wish Sony did. Then no one could complain! :D

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Y2Kev said:
Eh, it's not the biggest deal. The difference was that Microsoft reserved a section of the hard drive for cache and I don't think Sony does....I wish Sony did. Then no one could complain! :D
I think Sony still do, either that or Uncharted's texture streaming is pure win in code form.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sage00 said:
I think Sony still do, either that or Uncharted's texture streaming is pure win in code form.
I'm sure it uses the hard drive, but I bet the game would not work if you had a full hard drive.

Resistance does the same thing upon bootup, but that cache is permanent.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Marconelly said:
TTP's review
Thanks for that. After months of teasing, I've been waiting to find out what his final thoughts on the game were. Good read!

It’s hard to even count the number of times we felt like some drug addicts, high on enthusiasm, in need of running to the nearest open window, so that we can shout out our love to Kojima.
:lol Classic.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Morts said:
Is the general consensus that the bundle will be fairly available, even a day or two after release?
Not sure about that. It seems even gamestops that are happening enough to warrant a midnight release for MGS4 are only getting 4 bundles in the initial shipment.

dralla

welp, I finished up work for the week [have a couple 3 hour shifts Mon/Wed], now I'm all set for MGS4. I guess I can finish up Ninja Gaiden 2, but it's tough to concentrate on it when I know MGS4 is so close.

Darkpen

Banned
dabookerman said:
Ok some news guys. It's a bit awkward ;p

The game has install per act right. How it works is after the initial install, it installs for about 2-3 mins before each act right. Obviously sounds fine when you play it all the way through for the first time.

Problem is, it looks like, if you want to randomly play different acts, based on saves you have, you need to do a 2-3 minute install each time you want to play a different act.

I really don't understand how it works, but it seems to cache files.. I wish they could just install the entire thing.. hmph
ewwwww

wtf. Why no single install D:

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dabookerman said:
8 Minutes is one time.

Thanks god.

Still odd how they went about with it. I understand the desire to keep the HDD free space requirements as low as possible, but having an option to do a full one time install for those that have enough space would have been nice.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
TTP said:
Thanks god.

Still odd how they went about with it. I understand the desire to keep the HDD free space requirements as low as possible, but having an option to do a full one time install for those that have enough space would have been nice.
You just know if they had done that the Kotaku headline would've been "OMG MGS4 requires 20GB to install!".

Ashhong

sykoex said:
Not sure about that. It seems even gamestops that are happening enough to warrant a midnight release for MGS4 are only getting 4 bundles in the initial shipment.

where did you hear this lovely bit of news? my store is receiving 12 and ones around my area are receiving similar quantities.

Diablos

I finally took the time to read through the plot synopsis for all the games, and wow, how awesome of a thread this is. I learned things I didn't even know. It was a lot to read; MGS2's plot is much more complicated than I thought. No wonder I was so confused. Honestly though, the series as a whole has confused the hell out of me, but the synopsis in this thread helped a lot. I think I'm going to watch the gametrailers vids too.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Ashhong said:
where did you hear this lovely bit of news? my store is receiving 12 and ones around my area are receiving similar quantities.
Kagari mentioned her store is getting 4 a few pages back, and I heard another is only getting 4.

TTP said:
Thanks god.

It's annoying. I hope something fixes it.

How about this, so I have act 5 cached. So I thought, ok I will start a new game.. Installs for 2 minutes.. I play act 1 for a few minutes, then i choose to play act 2, installs... go back to act 1.. installs.

Guled

dabookerman said:

How about this, so I have act 5 cached. So I thought, ok I will start a new game.. Installs for 2 minutes.. I play act 1 for a few minutes, then i choose to play act 2, installs... go back to act 1.. installs.
is there any load times at all in the act (changing areas or when you die)?

Ashhong said:
i didnt realize that the LE costs 145$

now im REALLY glad im only getting the standard.

What? No, dude... he's saying that he figured paying $85 is worth it for the bonus content not for new art. Being thankful for cancelling an LE pre-order simply because the art is the same as the standard is pretty dumb.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dabookerman said:

Yes. Every time you play a different act it overwrites the previous installed data. Exactly as I suspected.

Guled said:
is there any load times at all in the act (changing areas or when you die)?

If you change area theres a quick 2 second load. If it goes to a cutscene, you go to a blank screen where it says loading, then it says press start. The time of these load screens vary, but on average, they are about 3-5 seconds.

dabookerman said:
If you change area theres a quick 2 second load. If it goes to a cutscene, you go to a blank screen where it says loading, then it says press start. The time of these load screens vary, but on average, they are about 3-5 seconds.

Press start to watch a cutscene? NOOOOO!!! I want a smooth transition...

Hixx

Pressing start to watch a scene? I don't see the point with being able to pause them... or did I just imagine that?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I'm gonna to Walmart at 7:00 in the morning to get the PS3 bundle, hopefully they have it that early.

vpance

So how much space do the installs take? I guess they overwrite per act so the game wont have to use so many gbs.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
HixxSAFC said:
Pressing start to watch a scene? I don't see the point with being able to pause them... or did I just imagine that?

There is stuff you might want to do during the cutscenes so they better not start while u are taking a piss.

The way it goes is like this. Gameplay, then cutscene, then when cutscene ends, load screen/press start.

Also regarding pausing cutscenes. It's almost a pointless feature since pressing the guide button pauses the cutscene aswell lol..

Sage00 said:
This is to give you the chance to light a cigarette and eat some rations before it starts.

fixed. I actually got some rations from a military surplus store for my upcoming marathon. I hope I say "mmmmm delicious", instead of "gross" or "I'm gonna puke" when I eat them.

dabookerman said:
The way it goes is like this. Gameplay, then cutscene, then when cutscene ends, load screen/press start.

Also regarding pausing cutscenes. It's almost a pointless feature since pressing the guide button pauses the cutscene aswell lol..

Aaahhh... gotcha. This sounds better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom