• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Synless said:
So they are temp. installs then? That's a shame they couldn't have just done one install, oh well the game will be great regardless.
Just think of it as intermissions of a great play.

:lol Multiple installs is gonna suck.

Guled

Isn't the installs between each act just as long as the load time before GTA4 starts. If so, then it shouldn't be just a big issue.

Synless

U K Narayan said:
I've heard differently. I was told that the installs are a one-time deal, only.
Anyone who's beat the game or started a new file or anything like that care to answer the question for me?

Isn't the installs between each act just as long as the load time before GTA4 starts. If so, then it shouldn't be just a big issue.
Load times arean't an issue for me anyways, I just want to know if it's a one time deal with the installs or not.

Synless

dabookerman said:
8 minute install = one time

2-3 minute installs between each acts happen when you switch to different acts.

:(
That's new playthroughs too right? Like if my friend starts a new game after I beat it, will he have to deal with installs through his playthrough too on the same system?

h3ro

dabookerman said:

I really don't thinks its a big deal at all. Then again, I though the whole DMC thing was nonsense too...

Guys.. this is METAL FUCKING GEAR 4, not some shit game that doesn't deserve space on your hard drive... Kojima.. my hard drive, its yours...

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
dabookerman said:

Hmmmmm, well that kinda sucks. Oh well learn to deal with it!

Synless

h3ro said:
I really don't thinks its a big deal at all. Then again, I though the whole DMC thing was nonsense too...

Guys.. this is METAL FUCKING GEAR 4, not some shit game that doesn't deserve space on your hard drive... Kojima.. my hard drive, its yours...
I'm not saying it's a big deal, I really don't care if it does or doesn't, I just want to know.

llTll

Banned
Synless said:
All I have to say is that if you play all the way through the game and when you beat it and start a new game, are the installs permanently done or are they temp. for each act? If not and you only install them once wtf is the point of doing them inbetween chapters instead of one whole initial install?

i didnt finish the game, so i dont know if the installs will stay forever or not however

i think its because the game is double layer blue ray, then the install is really bigger than 4gig or 5 gig like they say in the box. so what happen is they install the first 4 gig for the first chapter or so, once you clear that up, they delete the first install and install second chapter or so .

someone try to make couple of saved when he get the game. first save is first chapter, second save is second chapter after the second install. if it ask to install again the first chapter. then what i said is right, if not, then it probably save all the installs for good " which make someone wonder why they dont do it at the beginning of the game and then thats it "

who knows anyway. i was just giving comments.

I have no issues with the hard drive at all. It's just, each time you want to play a different act, it has to do an install. What I don't get is, why can't it just install, and stay installed. I don't want to mess around on act 2 for 5 minutes, then go on act 4 and wait for it to install every time (for example)

h3ro

Synless said:
I'm not saying it's a big deal, I really don't care if it does or doesn't, I just want to know.

I wasn't singling you out or anything. I just think that all the attention all the blogs, sites and podcasts were giving the installation were blown way of proportion.

Whatever voodoo techniques Kojipro decided to use to make the game run are fine by me. I'm not a game dev, I'm sure they know more about making stuff work more than us.

2 days. :D

The install thing seems like a pretty annoying blemish on an otherwise pristine product, I'm rather disappointed that Kojima Productions didn't find any other way to do it. A imagine a ton of people will make a big fuss about it when it gets in their hands.

Patch it out of the game Ryan, please.

AndyD

aka andydumi
As tot he installs, its said they have cutscenes running over the install process, so its not just a bland progress bar.

Question:

Will we have to use Konami IDs for MGO? Or PSN only?

Synless

h3ro said:
I wasn't singling you out or anything. I just think that all the attention all the blogs, sites and podcasts were giving the installation were blown way of proportion.

Whatever voodoo techniques Kojipro decided to use to make the game run are fine by me. I'm not a game dev, I'm sure they know more about making stuff work more than us.

2 days. :D
3 days to long here.............. :(

tha_con

Banned
I don't get why anyone would ever go BACK though. If you play through a game, you go straight though.

Why would you hop around? That part I don't understand.

Either way, I'm fine with the installs, they work.

Arnie

MiamiWesker said:
I hope all our names are saved.
Im not sure whether they will reset them all though because There are new customization options and possibly new skills to learn. Maybe they will just let you keep the name and start from scratch.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Killer said:
MGS41.JPG

Already on sale in Kuwait :(
So awesome! :lol

drknite

Can't wait to eat some Kobe tubesteak
At least you guys don't have to worry about finding an 80GB PS3 on Thursday to replace your recently broken 60GB PS3. Thursday may be the worst day of my life if I have the game, but no system to play it on (And yes I have called everywhere no old Motorstorm 80gig bundles). Fuck.

Chemo

tha_con said:
I don't get why anyone would ever go BACK though. If you play through a game, you go straight though.

Why would you hop around? That part I don't understand.

Either way, I'm fine with the installs, they work.
There are plenty of times that I play MGS2 where I only want to play the Plant chapter, and plenty of times where I only want to play the Tanker chapter. I would be pretty happy if they patched it to make the individual chapters install completely.

Yasser

Cronen said:
Is the £9.10 order ok? Because I will seriously get one right now.
it's the one i ordered, in my confirmation email it says collector so i'm assuming it is. the £12.27 says explicitly in the description it's hardback so if you want to be 100% sure go with that one
chaoticprout said:
So what should I watch for 4 hours while waiting in line? I'm thinking 2 movies, or band of brothers.
listen to the latest retronauts on loop

SamuraiX-

I forget, how big was the initial installation for MGS4? I have 5 gigs of free space right now on my hard drive. How much do you'll think I'll need for MGS4's initial installation along with the installations between the Acts in-game?

drknite

Can't wait to eat some Kobe tubesteak
chaoticprout said:
So what should I watch for 4 hours while waiting in line? I'm thinking 2 movies, or band of brothers.
IIRC some episodes of Band of Brothers are slow moving. Get some high action film to waste time.

Also, after completion, you can't select a particular chapter you want to play. The only way to do that is if you save a new file each time the game asks you to save.

Chemo

dabookerman said:
Also, after completion, you can't select a particular chapter you want to play. The only way to do that is if you save a new file each time the game asks you to save.
Oh wow, that's the first truly disappointing thing I've heard about the game (besides the absence of Cam Clarke). Oh well.

Cronen

Yasser said:
it's the one i ordered, in my confirmation email it says collector so i'm assuming it is. the £12.27 says explicitly in the description it's hardback so if you want to be 100% sure go with that one

I'll take your word and order the £9 one! Can't wait!

Also, Play.com folks...anyone had their orders posted? Posting the games tomorrow...seems a little late surely? o_O

SamuraiX- said:
I forget, how big was the initial installation for MGS4? I have 5 gigs of free space right now on my hard drive. How much do you'll think I'll need for MGS4's initial installation along with the installations between the Acts in-game?

4.6gb

Chemo said:
Oh wow, that's the first truly disappointing thing I've heard about the game (besides the absence of Cam Clarke). Oh well.

The fact is, I think most of the things that were left out were HOPEFULLY left out so they can be downloaded as DLC. I hope so anyway.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Chemo said:

Why? You might want to do a later part of a given Act rather than all of it from the beginning. Those saves allow u to do that. If you want to play an Act from the beginning, you just load the corresponding save file. IIRC your "stats" are saved in another file so you can go back without losing your progress as far as those stats go.

Lakitu

st5fu
Well I've never liked GamesTM, Edge or Eurogamer. Not just because they gave 8s to MGS 4, I couldn't give a shit what they give it, but I've just never liked them. GamesTM is brilliant compared to the latter though.

Chemo

TTP said:
Why? You might want to do a later part of a given Act rather than all of it since the beginning. Those saves allow u to do that. If you want to play an Act from the beginning, you just load the corresponding save file.
Because I'd rather have a menu with a chapter list that I can choose from than a ton of save files. It's not a big deal, but it's a disappointment. There's no way I'm going to have more than one MGS4 save file, so I'll just have to play it all the way through every time.

SamuraiX-

dabookerman said:

Oh right. Wow, I need to start deleting some more demos. lol

How about the in-game installations between acts? Do those take up any considerable space?

Btw, dabookerman. It's been about a week or so since you've beaten the game? It's still leaving an impression on you, right? :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
MiamiWesker said:
Another stupid magazine gave it an 8 cause of the story. Its in the GameTM thread.
They at least said it's the best PS3 exclusive there is. With such a backhanded praise I can already see the guy who wrote that giggling with joy, then his face going back to dead serious, remembering how PS3 once fell on his kitten and killed it.

tha_con

Banned
Obviously the only logical solution is to buy multiple PS3's, and then label them according to the act that is currently installed on each. This way, you can easily access any act you want, without the need to install any more data.

Problem solved.

purg3

slept with Malkin
DSC01047.jpg

I only flipped through the extras and weapons sections(obviously don't want to spoil the story) and it is definitely a quality guide. I rarely spend money on guides but this seems like it was worth the money-especially after that $5 GS coupon.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
tha_con said:
Obviously the only logical solution is to buy multiple PS3's, and then label them according to the act that is currently installed on each. This way, you can easily access any act you want, without the need to install any more data.

Problem solved.
:lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom