• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anyway to save the separate Act installations on a USB stick or something, and maybe paste them so they are all sitting there after the game is over? There must be some way to trick the system.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
dabookerman said:
;o, I'm gonna try that right this second!
You guys are killing me. Can I join your secret club? :'(

TTP said:
Not really a spoiler but still..

Dont forget going to the second floor of any of those buildings at the very beginning and piss off some Gekkos from there...

You should make a video of the outcome.

climbs on and throws a grenade?

Check your pms :3

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It's 00:19, you know what that means?!

TWO DAYS REMAINING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DrBo42

Can you guys keep the spoilers to PM's? I know you guys are excited and want to talk with anyone about your experiences, but this thread is supposed to be clean of spoilers.

~Kinggi~

Banned
DrBo42 said:
Can you guys keep the spoilers to PM's? I know you guys are excited and want to talk with anyone about your experiences, but this thread is supposed to be clean of spoilers.
quoted for the emphasis !!

DrBo42 said:

No spoilers I assure you.

Btw, holy shit at the AI in this game. On hard mode, I was caught, So I run behind this wall, which is pretty much a dead end. So I think, I will just CQC everyone. 1 guy comes, I CQC him, one down, three to go. The next guy, walks around the other side of the wall, looking for a good angle to shoot me, I try to avoid his line of fire, and he moves to point through this gap in the wall, so I move to the other side aswell. Then I'm there hiding, he goes to this blind spot on the other side of the wall, and I peer out and BAM, he lunges at me with his knife.

Was awesome

Oh looky what I got.

f_06102008152m_65bf986.jpg

I just put in a couple hours, and I am enjoying what I have played seen so far. I'll post some brief spoiler-free impressions, and I'll give you more detailed impressions before I go to bed. I will spoiler just in case.

+Presentation is top notch, not surprising since it is a Kojima Productions game.
+Soundtrack is superb. Same goes for sound effects. I've been playing this in 5.1, and it's been so immersive and awesome so far.
+Gameplay seems to be a minor extension and refinement of MG3: Subsistence from what I've seen. Could be a con if your expecting radical changes and a change of pace. The new camouflage system has been a lot fun to fuck around with, and it makes stealth much more fun. Shooting is easy and intuitive as long as you turn auto aim off.
-Graphically, the game is a mixed bag because of the uneven and highly variable texture work. The models, however, look great and are highly detailed. The frame rate runs at a reasonable pace (30), with occasional hiccups and drops (~15-20). This might be because I am playing it on 1080p. I'll try 720p and see if it makes it run smoother.
-The controls still feel a bit clunky and clumsy, but you get used to it and it's not game-breaking.
-The cut scenes are rather long. I've already run into two that were about 10 minutes long. Fortunately, you can skip them if you don't care for the story (although I never met a Metal Gear fan that plays the games for the gameplay).
-The story starts out very slow, with some MGS2-level wackiness and bullshit for the first 5 minutes. So far, it hasn't grabbed me yet like MGS1 and MGS3 did. I hope Kojima didn't aim to make every even numbered MGS game have an incoherent, convoluted storyline.

The game has four difficulty levels:

Liquid Easy
Naked Normal
Solid Normal (US and Euro normal)
Big Boss Hard

If you got any questions, feel free to ask. I haven't played MGO yet so I can't really say anything about it.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
SamuraiX- said:
LOL nice. I've been lucky. Haven't been attacked through PSN, AIM, or e-mail Inbox. I've been steering clear of YouTube comments, blog comments, GameFAQs, MGS: TUS, etc. This thread has done an awesome job to stay nearly completely spoiler-free. I've had a few subtle things kinda hinted to me, but nothing major. Still haven't watched the "Courage is Solid" theatrical trailer either.

57 hours remaining. :O
My bad, missed it. Heck ya, man. Can't let the terrorists win! I'm pretty much in the same boat. GAF truly is my Outer Haven right now.

Woah, haven't even seen "movie-guy" trailer? You really are serious :lol

Euphor!a

Banned
Are there any actual pictures of the US LE yet?(Not the stock pictures) I thought I heard Gamestops were getting them in stock today.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Nice impressions!

DrBo42

CurseoftheGods said:
-The cut scenes are rather long. I've already run into two that were about 10 minutes long. Fortunately, you can skip them if you don't care for the story (although I never met a Metal Gear fan that plays the games for the gameplay).
-The story starts out very slow, with some MGS2-level wackiness and bullshit for the first 5 minutes. So far, it hasn't grabbed me yet like MGS1 and MGS3 did. I hope Kojima didn't aim to make every even numbered MGS game have an incoherent, convoluted storyline.

I can tell I'm going to like this game quite a bit more than you. I do enjoy some
convoluted mind-fuck plots.
Have you ever watched Evangelion? :lol

Edit: Added spoiler tags because quoted poster decided to do so.

Vagrant

CurseoftheGods said:
The game has four difficulty levels:

Liquid Easy
Naked Normal
Solid Normal (US and Euro normal)
Big Boss Hard

If you got any questions, feel free to ask. I haven't played MGO yet so I can't really say anything about it.

Is Big Boss Hard available at the start?

Catalix

DrBo42 said:
[/spoiler]

I can tell I'm going to like this game quite a bit more than you. I do enjoy some
convoluted mind-fuck plots
. Have you ever watched Evangelion? :lol
Dude, I was watching all of Evangelion and playing MGS2 at the same time back in 2001. Exhausting couple of months. Loved it!

So those "negatives" might be positives for me too.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Uh oh at the framerate comment. There will be blood when the game is released. :lol
Note to self: Never trust IGN guys with framerate info because they are retarded and blind.

Scratch that, never trust IGN with ANYTHING because they are retarded and blind.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
For those who've beaten the game (not really a spoiler, just a question about the difficulty modes)

Does a completed save file allow you to pick a new difficulty level like MGS2 or are you stuck playing on whatever level you completed it on like MGS3?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Welp, as it turns out the package I received on 6th from Gamestop.com is indeed a Saga 2.0 DVD.

Just wondering how much earlier did the US residents received this from them (those who pre-ordered LE from Gamestop.com)

Also, from the Gameinformer thread:

MGS 4 - 10, 9.75

SamuraiX-

CurseoftheGods said:
-Graphically, the game is a mixed bag because of the uneven and highly variable texture work. The models, however, look great and are highly detailed. The frame rate runs at a reasonable pace (30), with occasional hiccups and drops (~15-20). This might be because I am playing it on 1080p. I'll try 720p and see if it makes it run smoother.
-The controls still feel a bit clunky and clumsy, but you get used to it and it's not game-breaking.

I've heard the frames-per second can shoot up to 60 fps at times, but when there is a lot happening on screen, it can drop a little bit below 30... You sure 15-20 isn't an exaggeration? As for the controls, once you get used to them I think you'll find them to be a vast improvement upon the control scheme for previous titles in the series, considering all the actions you can perform.

Everything else you've listed as a con is a pro for me. :D

Catalix said:
My bad, missed it. Heck ya, man. Can't let the terrorists win! I'm pretty much in the same boat. GAF truly is my Outer Haven right now.

Woah, haven't even seen "movie-guy" trailer? You really are serious :lol

Yup. hehe

I decided to try to avoid seeing any new video that I could. I did listen to the theatrical trailer though and some of those lines are so fucking awesome, particularly the ones delivered by
Meryl, Campbell, and Liquid
. Can't wait. :D

Btw, dabookerman. I now have 6523 mbs of free space on my PS3 HDD. That should be enough for MGS4's initial installation along with all the other in-game, between Acts installations too, right? :O

neoism

Chamber said:
For those who've beaten the game (not really a spoiler, just a question about the difficulty modes)

Does a completed save file allow you to pick a new difficulty level like MGS2 or are you stuck playing on whatever level you completed it on like MGS3?

please god, I beat MGS2 on every difficulty because of that.

rcua1884

MercuryLS said:
Why couldn't they release this game on tuesday like, you know, just about every other game that's every come out in NA?

I remember reading somewhere that the release date for the original Metal Gear in the States was June 12,1988. Releasing MGS 4 on Thursday would make a nice bookend to the 20 year history of the saga.

MercuryLS said:
Why couldn't they release this game on tuesday like, you know, just about every other game that's every come out in NA?

Well, games in Japan usually are released on Thursday/Friday (not too sure for Europe) so I'd imagine if they shipped like usual, then it'd already be out in Japan, out on Wednesday for NA and released much later in Europe.

At least with a date of June 12, it's fair for everybody all across the board.

Catalix

dabookerman said:
Yes
The Boss Extreme
Hm, interesting name choice for that. Very fitting. Wouldn't be surprised if it also highlights some thematic/plot significance.

SamuraiX- said:
I decided to try to avoid seeing any new video that I could. I did listen to the theatrical trailer though and some of those lines are so fucking awesome, particularly the ones delivered by
Meryl, Campbell, and Liquid
. Can't wait.
Clever, I should've used the same tactic. Regardless, I'll still be blown away when I finally see those same scenes in all their HD glory. :D

3 days...

The wait is killing me....do you think the screw-ups at walmart have been told not to sell mgs4 now that people have gotten it from them early or do you think the elderly employees are still as oblivious as always and would sell me a copy??

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
krackerjack said:
The wait is killing me....do you think the screw-ups at walmart have been told not to sell mgs4 now that people have gotten it from them early or do you think the elderly employees are still as oblivious as always and would sell me a copy??

Maybe. But I'd bring a gun just to be sure.

DrBo42

TTP said:
Maybe. But I'd bring a gun just to be sure.
The MGS4 thread would like to inform everyone that views of certain members about robbery to obtain MGS4 are not the result of videogame violence. They are also not recommended by NeoGAF, its affiliates, stockholders, or any member of Kojima Productions.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
krackerjack said:
Hopefully not. I want you to suffer like the rest of us, my friend.

I have been trying to get all of my school work out of the way so that I can sit down and play MGS4 once it's released...Gah, two more assignments...

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
brandonh83 said:
This time, day after tomorrow, I'll be in line. Fuck me, fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

No midnight release for me. :(

But at least I've done 5 a.m. enough times to know what to bring, and what to expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom