• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
elguerosinfe said:
Just read the Eurogamer review. i was considering getting a PS3 for MGS4, but no more. Glad they saved me the $500.

I'm so glad you let one review decide everything for you. Clearly you're not able to make decisions based on your own experiences.

elguerosinfe said:
Just read the Eurogamer review. i was considering getting a PS3 for MGS4, but no more. Glad they saved me the $500.

And you are?

Oh thats right! A Fucking Troll!! 59 posts with half of the posts concerning Halo 3 and only 1 post concerning PS3 (take a guess what post can that be).

Don't troll again...

I am pretty sure he bought GTA4 because of all the 10's, so he's just being consistent.

Kagari said:
I'm so glad you let one review decide everything for you. Clearly you're not able to make decisions based on your own experiences.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Ynos Yrros said:
Here's the Edge review in a capsule:

- Liquid Ocelot is a superb villain
Thats good to hear. When I first heard about Liquid Ocelot I wasnt sure if I was going to like the idea. Ocelot was my favourite MGS character and although I didnt mind Liquid snake taking over his consciousness from time to time, I didnt want to see it happen permanently (I'm just presuming that is what has happened, since he's now called liquid ocelot. For all I know he could still have the split personality).

(VA stuff about liquid ocelot, I dont know if it should be spoiler tagged or not, but I'll do it just in case):
The main reason I was worried about Liquid taking over Ocelots body was because I thought Ocelot would sound like Liquid (cam clarke) the whole time and that would have ruined ocelot. The good thing is that they stuck with pat zimmermans voice, so ocelot will sound like ocelot. Its going to be a little weird seeing ocelot talk to Snake as his brother, but judging by Edge's comment about liquid ocelot being a superb villan, it looks like they did a good job.

Dante

elguerosinfe said:

242spp5.gif

SamuraiX-

Acid08 said:
Well it used to be the Sony Metreon. I remember that from when it first opened up :p. They better let us bring in copies that we already bought. MY LE needs a large ass Godjima signature on it.:D

Yeah, it's on June 14th. You should definitely be able to bring your own copy since it would be released already. That would be seriously lame and make absolutely no sense if you couldn't. lol

elguerosinfe said:

:lol :lol :lol

Took the haters long enough to show up.

242spp5.gif

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

SamuraiX- said:
Yeah, it's on June 14th. You should definitely be able to bring your own copy since it would be released already. That would be seriously lame and make absolutely no sense if you couldn't. lol

:lol :lol :lol

Took the haters long enough to show up.

242spp5.gif

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
LOL

They cant stay for to long because its awesomness blinds them

jdnation said:
Apparently EDGE's review says that the latter part of MGS4 strays into a bit of 'MGS2' type territory levels of craziness... I for one am pleased! :D

Awesome if true. I was hoping Kojima wouldn't dumb himself down just because of all the whining about MGS2. A true artist doesn't let others taint his work.

BTW is Gamestop going to stay open until midnight on the night before?

Acid08

Banned
Darkpen said:
ha, forget june 12th, its all about june 14th now :D
Seriously :lol . Getting to meet god in person. Wow, looks like lots of Gaffers are going to Frisco :D . How long are all your drives? Mine will be about 40 minutes. Or maybe I'll take BART :).

SamuraiX-

Mine will be about 2 hours. I'll probably leave 3 hours in advance though, just because of how unpredictable San Francisco highway traffic can be.

The one thing I want at this event is to get the game signed by The Koj, Ryan Payton, Ken Imaizumi, AND Yumi Kikuchi, who will all be there according to Ryan. I hope you aren't just allowed one signature and then you have to get your ass out of there. I especially hope they don't just give you a random person to sign you game. If it can only be one of those four, I think it's pretty damn obvious who's signature everyone is gonna want. :lol

Acid08

Banned
I want to know what time this event will be starting at. I'm going to want to be there really early to make sure I can get a signature.

Acid08

Banned
SamuraiX- said:
NO U!

I'm going to be taking pictures and grabbing some camera video down at the Metreon in San Francisco. Gotta savor the moment. :D
Oh man yes :D . I hope they let us take a picture with Kojima. Me and my friend are going to want to get one.

SamuraiX-

Acid08 said:
Oh man yes :D . I hope they let us take a picture with Kojima. Me and my friend are going to want to get one.

I kinda doubt it... since he'll probably be signing autographs the whole time... maybe after the signings. heh

Even if I can get some pics of him and everyone else signing copies of the game, I'll be satisfied. :D

Acid08

Banned
SamuraiX- said:
I kinda doubt it... since he'll probably be signing autographs the whole time... maybe after the signings. heh

Even if I can get some pics of him and everyone else signing copies of the game, I'll be satisfied. :D
Oh, I'll get my picture with him. No way the jerks at the PS Store can stop me. But seriously, I hate that place. Every single time I've been there I don't see anyone buying anything. One time I went and saw stack of the Greatest Hits FF7's. I wish I had bought a few.

FightyF

Banned
Awesome OP(s)!

I've followed a bit too much of GTAIV (though I ignored the info thread up until a month prior to release)...I've kept away from this so I know very little (don't even know if controls have been changed from MGS3)...I probably won't check this thread until after I've passed the game!

But I did want to say, that is an awesome, awesome official thread info post.

rikichi

cool to see some gaffers going to the SF event.

a friend of mine and i will definitely try to be one the first in line.

anybody got an idea of how many people will be allowed to get their shit signed?

NolbertoS

I haven't been keeping up with MGS4 artbook and freebies. Has the artbooks already shipped and available for pickups like the MGS Vol 2 disk?? Or will I have to line up the first day and obtain my LE with artbook??

Acid08

Banned
NolbertoS said:
I haven't been keeping up with MGS4 artbook and freebies. Has the artbooks already shipped and available for pickups like the MGS Vol 2 disk?? Or will I have to line up the first day and obtain my LE with artbook??
Yeah, picking it up with your preorder seems to be what's happening. I didn't even know there was going to be an artbook. I hope my local GS has it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
NolbertoS said:

Stores should have them by Monday but it looks like most aren't giving it out until release.

Few things:

1. MGS4 Website is updated with PSP Wallpapers, though the newest batch of it (Meryl) leads to 404 i.e. no proper link for it... yet.

snake_psp_wp.jpg

otacon_psp_wp.jpg

2. http://youtube.com/watch?v=D_cijxtmIuk HOW THE FUCK DID I MISS THIS? Must have been lost under all the spoiler out there.
Found this while surfing the Japanese MGS4 Website. New for me, must be old for you folks :p

3. http://www.konami.jp/mgs4/jp/regain/ Shows that the drink will be shipped with FOXHOUND dogtags :O Once again, i didn't know that.

dmshaposv

Just read the EDGE review.

They seem less negatively nuanced towards MGS4, unlike Eurogamer. I don't know what was up with the guy who wrote the review for EG - seems like they just wanted the hits after all.

The main complains seem to be about the long ending and multiple long cutscenes. I'm guessing they didn't like MGS2 that much either, but to me the lenghty cutscenes are fine.

One thing I was sorta shocked was how they pointed out the graphics are bad in close-up. I'm not talking ground/wall textures, but the the character models. I seriously don't get this - the character models look great in screens and trailers yet the one specific screenshot EDGE highlighted snake's model (the detail on his suit) looks PS2 calibur. Where as the other screens in their review use the same screens we've seen before and the character models look the best in the biz!

weird. Well I hope its definitely the later.

I'm happy they pointed out that Liquid Ocleot is a superb villan. They also pointed out that Otacon was one of the best characters apart from snake.

Darkpen

Banned
To GAFers going to SF:

On friday, I'll make a thread for the official meetup:

We should try to meet up before they start making a line or something (hopefully, it won't be something like Kojima and gang being there all freaking day from morning). I want to have us organized and together in line. The reason for this is for a potential photo opportunity that has all of the GAFers together, perhaps behind kojipro.

And most of all, I want us saluting.

If someone's bringing a friend that isn't part of GAF, that'd help a lot for picture taking.

EDIT: I know everyone will be busy playing MGS4, but please try to find the thread. It'll be spoiler-free (hopefully).

dmshaposv said:
Just read the EDGE review.

They seem less negatively nuanced towards MGS4, unlike Eurogamer. I don't know what was up with the guy who wrote the review for EG - seems like they just wanted the hits after all.

The main complains seem to be about the long ending and multiple long cutscenes. I'm guessing they didn't like MGS2 that much either, but to me the lenghty cutscenes are fine.

One thing I was sorta shocked was how they pointed out the graphics are bad in close-up. I'm not talking ground/wall textures, but the the character models. I seriously don't get this - the character models look great in screens and trailers yet the one specific screenshot EDGE highlighted snake's model (the detail on his suit) looks PS2 calibur. Where as the other screens in their review use the same screens we've seen before and the character models look the best in the biz!

weird. Well I hope its definitely the later.

I'm happy they pointed out that Liquid Ocleot is a superb villan. They also pointed out that Otacon was one of the best characters apart from snake.

intriguing. I think the character models look superb myself, but I guess most of my admiration for the graphics come from the amazing art-direction MGS4 has. I'm sure you'll be able to find some really bad looking places in the game if you look hard enough though.

edit: All this talk about the meet-up is making me so fucking jealous. I wanna meet kojima too goddammit.

fuckers :p

Momar

aka Ryder
Darkpen said:
To GAFers going to SF:

On friday, I'll make a thread for the official meetup:

We should try to meet up before they start making a line or something (hopefully, it won't be something like Kojima and gang being there all freaking day from morning). I want to have us organized and together in line. The reason for this is for a potential photo opportunity that has all of the GAFers together, perhaps behind kojipro.

And most of all, I want us saluting.

If someone's bringing a friend that isn't part of GAF, that'd help a lot for picture taking.

EDIT: I know everyone will be busy playing MGS4, but please try to find the thread. It'll be spoiler-free (hopefully).

Awesome! Count me in sir :)

The difficulty in writing a review of this magnitude is the constant struggle to remain objective. There is so much good to say about this title and so very little negative that its one-sidedness might seem a bit unfounded to the reader; I assure you I will do my best in giving as balanced a perspective as I can without giving away too much information. The game undoubtedly captivates from the moment you place the disc into the Playstation 3 and does not let up for its thirty hour duration. Following an opening that literally left me rattled, I found myself having to put the controller down for a few minutes in order to properly gather my thoughts. Like any title affiliated with the name ‘Kojima’, Metal Gear Solid 4’s comprehensive story, exotic art direction, Hollywood-esque cut scenes, memorable characters, sharp dialogue, and overall quality surpasses anything yet seen on the Playstation 3, and quite possibly the past decade.

As many of you have seen from the dozens of Metal Gear Solid 4 trailers in the recent months, the Middle East has become a war-zone for private military companies vying for power in the region. Shells explode around you, tracers whiz by your head and soldiers gasp their dying breaths all while you take control of Solid Snake, the rapidly aging war-vet and his robotic sidekick, MKII. Stealth fans will take quite a liking to Otacon’s prototype robot; he’s an absolute blast to operate with the Dualshock 3 (MKII is no longer controlled using SixAxis) and is incredibly useful to reconnoiter areas out of Snake’s view. Snake also makes excellent use of his Octocamo suit, which blends into most any texture in the game’s expansive levels. For those who’d prefer to stand out like a sore thumb with guns a-blazing, the cover system proves advantageous and exceedingly useful. To summarize, the only film I can recall that has this intense an opening forty-five minutes is Saving Private Ryan.

its comments like this from reviewers that has me intrigued. it is not very often that you read about a huge emotional component in a video game.
this game could end up being very special. the kind of release that advances how games are designed and played.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
BlockBastard said:
intriguing. I think the character models look superb myself, but I guess most of my admiration for the graphics come from the amazing art-direction MGS4 has. I'm sure you'll be able to find some really bad looking places in the game if you look hard enough though.

edit: All this talk about the meet-up is making me so fucking jealous. I wanna meet kojima too goddammit.

fuckers :p

You can find flaws like that in any game though if you look.

Darkpen

Banned
SamuraiX, are you sure you'll be able to bring a video camera? That'd be really helpful. We could splice together the wait, getting in, introducing everyone from GAF on camera, and finally, getting to see the man himself.

Acid08, do you think your friend could take a photo for us if we can pull this off?

And finally, does anyone have a tripod for their camera (or a camera w/ one of this dandy features that allow for the picture to be crisp even w/ motion)? blurred photos suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom