• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, I just picked up the essentials collection. I already have all the games, but that fucking box art, man. I couldn't resist.

I am weak.

Yoboman

hirokazu said:
Ah, but the Octocamo is very different, it doesn't make him invisible, if he moves, the enemy would still spot him. The stealth tech from MGS1 makes the user practically invisible. That sounds like a superior infiltration device than the newer Octocamo to me. :p
I think they went about making it clear that stealth camo isn't very durable or reliable in MGS2

Props to the OP. Best OP in the history of OP's.

MGO related quandry: I feel terrible leaving Frog Unit for Fox Unit during the beta... I would like to return to Frog Unit and redeem myself by scoring many points and logging many hours... but only if I can be forgiven for my double agency! I AM SO SORRY FROGGIES! I HAVE BETRAYED THEE! Seriously though, I have felt bad since the beta went kaput. I only did it because the Foxes needed an extra player for the Konami match... which we didn't even play. Weep :(

So excited for the MGS4!

My heart will always RIBBIT.

Klone.K

BlockBastard said:
Ugh, I just picked up the essentials collection. I already have all the games, but that fucking box art, man. I couldn't resist.

I am weak.

Seems like Kojima will go all balls out with his philosophy in MGS4 again :p At least several reviews are leading me to believe so...
I salute him!

stephendedalus said:
Props to the OP. Best OP in the history of OP's.

MGO related quandry: I feel terrible leaving Frog Unit for Fox Unit during the beta... I would like to return to Frog Unit and redeem myself by scoring many points and logging many hours... but only if I can be forgiven for my double agency! I AM SO SORRY FROGGIES! I HAVE BETRAYED THEE! Seriously though, I have felt bad since the beta went kaput. I only did it because the Foxes needed an extra player for the Konami match... which we didn't even play. Weep :(

So excited for the MGS4!

My heart will always RIBBIT.

:lol Hopefully we won't have to create players and clans all over again when the game ships.

Klone.K said:
Seems like Kojima will go all balls out with his philosophy in MGS4 again :p At least several reviews are leading me to believe so...
I salute him!

That's fine by me. My problem wasn't with the over the top story or the philosophy. It was the incessent whining between Raiden and Rose.

Pimpwerx

Seiken said:
I've never copied stuff from Game***s to GAF but I just had to do it this time...

People say that MGS won't lift the PS3 sales a bit, this poll shows something different though:

pNBXTARSd.jpg

11% of the voters will buy a PS3 when MGS4 is out. Pretty damn impressive.
Pfft, polls. Completely meaningless unless you can show how they sampled. PEACE.

DunpealD

Epic OP. I salute to you BLR.

I can't wait to get my hands on that game.

hirokazu said:
Ah, but the Octocamo is very different, it doesn't make him invisible, if he moves, the enemy would still spot him. The stealth tech from MGS1 makes the user practically invisible. That sounds like a superior infiltration device than the newer Octocamo to me. :p

Stealth Camo probably uses too much energy and is too vulnerable to damage(MGS2 Tanker Opening). Octocamo seems to have some kind of special material which can memorize the different textures, also don't forget that the suit is supporting Snakes old body.

calzor

Neo Member
DunpealD said:
Stealth Camo probably uses too much energy and is too vulnerable to damage(MGS2 Tanker Opening). Octocamo seems to have some kind of special material which can memorize the different textures, also don't forget that the suit is supporting Snakes old body.
A theme in MGS4 is probably going to be mortality. Everyone is falling apart or sick. Old Snake is dying, Raiden is falling to pieces, Ocelot has lost himself (perhaps entirely?), Liquid is living on through a single limb, Meryl and her brigade are vulnerable because of their nanos. Even Johnny has a serious case of diarrhea.

Baha

calzor said:
A theme in MGS4 is probably going to be mortality. Everyone is falling apart or sick. Old Snake is dying, Raiden is falling to pieces, Ocelot has lost himself (perhaps entirely?), Liquid is living on through a single limb, Meryl and her brigade are vulnerable because of their nanos. Even Johnny has a serious case of diarrhea.

Actually, according to the artbook it's SENSE :)

[edit] ah for a second there I thought you meant the main theme.

calzor said:

So major theme= mortality with a side of IBS. I'm down.

First time in this thread, my most anticipated game this generation

and hats off to BruceLeeRoy, THE BEST opening to a game thread I have seen on this site

Blablurn said:
It's about 4. Not that you think I want to talk about 2 as the others right now.

the question is:

does roy campbell really die in 4? If yes, i assume the other things i unfortunately read are true as well.
The spoilers from four or five pages back aren't real.

ZeroTolerance

Blablurn said:
It's about 4. Not that you think I want to talk about 2 as the others right now.

the question is:

does roy campbell really die in 4? If yes, i assume the other things i unfortunately read are true as well.

Its bull, people just making stuff up bro. Don't sweat it.

EDIT: Beaten.

Klone.K

Choke on the Magic said:
That's fine by me. My problem wasn't with the over the top story or the philosophy. It was the incessent whining between Raiden and Rose.

Hah, I liked both of them but I can see how they would be annoying to some. (or in this case many)

My preference for Rose comes simply from the fact that some of her conversations with Raiden really helped establish his personality and some of his backstory and relationships.

But most of the reviews mention that Snake is really well developed in MGS4, in fact many of the characters are so this should not be an issue. The characters in MGS1 were a little 2 dimensional for my tastes.

hirokazu said:
Grey Fox was visible as well before attacks. I think they both use the same technology, they mirror/adapt to the sorroundings, making the user invisible. Snake is invisible as long as he stays in similarly looking areas. You could see "invisible" guys that used OctoCamo as well.

calzor

Neo Member
Choke on the Magic said:
I can't even begin to describe the frustration that caused me on extreme. Grey Fox freak out quality.
It couldn't have been as bad as the significant bulge on my forehead caused by the Solidus choke on Extreme. I'd have preferred to have been choked by the octopussy myself.

Laurent said:
How can you tell it's bull?
By descending into the very bowels of the Internet: 4chan. They were saying that it was some dude trolling and trying to get everyone riled up. The guy eventually admitted that his story was bull.
It also isn't consistent with what has been confirmed about MGS4 and spoilers found in reviews.

calzor said:
It couldn't have been as bad as the significant bulge on my forehead caused by the Solidus choke on Extreme. I'd have preferred to have been choked by the octopussy myself.

It was about on par with that. Thank god for the spoon trick.

klone.k said:
Hah, I liked both of them but I can see how they would be annoying to some. (or in this case many)

My preference for Rose comes simply from the fact that some of her conversations with Raiden really helped establish his personality and some of his backstory and relationships.

But most of the reviews mention that Snake is really well developed in MGS4, in fact many of the characters are so this should not be an issue. The characters in MGS1 were a little 2 dimensional for my tastes.

Don't get me wrong I liked MGS2 a lot I think I'm still a bit bitter about Raiden being the main protagonist. He was fun to play as too. I just wanted to be Solid Snake. Snake Tales half ass made up for it. This is why my favorite part in MGS2 is when
Raiden gets pissed on

calzor

Neo Member
Choke on the Magic said:
It was about on par with that. Thank god for the spoon trick.
My innateness kept me from performing the spoon trick, unfortunately. I took out MGS2 and slotted in MGS3, which I'm steamrolling through on Very Easy. The only part that has irritated thus far was The Fear fight. I ended up just blasting frogs and abusing the EZ gun. It's a complete cake walk.

calzor said:
My innateness kept me from performing the spoon trick, unfortunately. I took out MGS2 and slotted in MGS3, which I'm steamrolling through on Very Easy. The only part that has irritated thus far was The Fear fight. I ended up just blasting frogs and abusing the EZ gun. It's a complete cake walk.

Throwing poison dart frogs or rotten food when he's hungry makes the fight pretty easy too.

Baha

I actually enjoyed MGS2 despite the whole raiden x rose dynamic, especially when I discovered that you could piss Rose off twice in the game to the point where she stops talking to you or refuses to let you save. Search youtube, there's a hilarious collection of codec conversations.

Laurent

snack said:
By descending into the very bowels of the Internet: 4chan. They were saying that it was some dude trolling and trying to get everyone riled up. The guy eventually admitted that his story was bull.
It also isn't consistent with what has been confirmed about MGS4 and spoilers found in reviews.
Cool!

calzor

Neo Member
Choke on the Magic said:
Throwing poison dart frogs or rotten food when he's hungry makes the fight pretty easy too.
That's what I meant by blasting frogs. He goes right after them, even after being poisoned numerous times by them.

calzor said:
Try that shit on European Extreme. I tried doing this, after having gotten every dog-tag preceding that event on every difficulty.

IT'S. FUCKING. IMPOSSIBLE.

I've never been so furious at a game, before. I hated that part so much that I ended up selling my game and deleting my save.

I have no regrets.

Blablurn

U K Narayan said:
Try that shit on European Extreme. I tried doing this, after having gotten every dog-tag preceding that event on every difficulty.

I've never been so furious at a game, before. I hated that part so much that I ended up selling my game and deleting my save.

I have no regrets.

wow, this is extreme :lol

calzor

Neo Member
Choke on the Magic said:
:lol right on. It's really the funniest way to kill him too.
He deserves it after all he beatings he has given me on harder difficulties, as with all MGS bosses. :D

Mromson

U K Narayan said:

I have no regrets.
I remember sitting and playing with my friends on that part for like 2hrs before we managed to beat the chocking on EE ;P

calzor

Neo Member
Mromson said:
I remember sitting and playing with my friends on that part for like 2hrs before we managed to beat the chocking on EE ;P
You beat it? With your bare hands?

... *cocks gun*

Aggelos said:
What is the terrain/environmental variety in MGS4?
What are the climatic conditions in MGS4?

It looks extremely varied. There are
the middle east portions that we've all seen of course, urban combat... MGS3-style jungle/forest/nature stalking is back... looks like there will be snowy or at least colder areas... there have been shots of a mansion interior that looks atmospheric... a European city with nice architecture... the game doesn't take place in a single self-contained area like Shadow Moses or the Big Shell, it's a globetrotting adventure apparently.

Mromson

calzor said:
You beat it? With your bare hands?

... *cocks gun*
Yupp. ;p Spazzed my hand to hell. Which made it annoying for the later part
when I had to fight 25 Ray's
as it hurt a bit. Was all worth it though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom