• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
islewarrior said:
Snake also makes excellent use of his Octocamo suit, which blends into most any texture in the game’s expansive levels
Its such a good thing that they've included the octocamo suit. I loved the idea of changing your camo in MGS3, but it did get tedious having to manually change it. This time the suit automatically does it for you.

Does anyone know if you collect different camo like you did in MGS3 or if your octocam suit has all the different camo's from the start?

Mromson

psycho_snake said:
Its such a good thing that they've included the octocamo suit. I loved the idea of changing your camo in MGS3, but it did get tedious having to manually change it. This time the suit automatically does it for you.

Does anyone know if you collect different camo like you did in MGS3 or if your octocam suit has all the different camo's from the start?
ofc you collect ;) Having all the camos from the getgo would be silly ;)

hirokazu

Mromson said:
ofc you collect ;) Having all the camos from the getgo would be silly ;)
I thought OctoCamo adapts it's texture to whatever is nearby when Snake is up against a what, crouching, or lying down. Why would you need to collect camos for it if that's the case?

Darkpen

Banned
hirokazu said:
I thought OctoCamo adapts it's texture to whatever is nearby when Snake is up against a what, crouching, or lying down. Why would you need to collect camos for it if that's the case?
*shrug* who knows. I'm sure there's something that collecting textures will be good for.

Mromson

hirokazu said:
I mean. You can change your camo's textures at will, even when you're not up against anything. But before you can do that, you need to obtain em in one way or another - such as hugging a spesific texture.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mromson said:
I mean. You can change your camo's textures at will, even when you're not up against anything. But before you can do that, you need to obtain em in one way or another - such as hugging a spesific texture.
You can save a texture and later set it to be used (hence turning off the dynamic auto-adapt function of the octo-camo). You can see this being done in that 15min gameplay demo from a while back when Snake takes on the role of a statue.

hirokazu

Mromson said:
Oh I see, that's awesome.

Lince

Banned
elguerosinfe said:
Just read the Eurogamer review. i was considering getting a PS3 for MGS4, but no more. Glad they saved me the $500.

ostia.gif

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
BlockBastard said:
Ryan already talked about the process of posting them, so I doubt we'll get another viral trailer today.
Surely he was just trying to throw us off the scent.

SURELY

Those spoilers a few pages back are NOT legit. Those of you that have read those, they are not real. You (and I) still remain unspoiled, but I might suggest bailing out from the Internet. We dodged the spoiler bullet this time, but we might not be so lucky next time. Take the necessary precautions to make sure their is no next time.

Rez>You said:
Surely he was just trying to throw us off the scent.

SURELY

There's gonna be a PSN MGS4 blow-out in the near future so we'll probably have some new video to sink our teeth into before the game launches. :D

dmshaposv said:
Just read the EDGE review.

They seem less negatively nuanced towards MGS4, unlike Eurogamer. I don't know what was up with the guy who wrote the review for EG - seems like they just wanted the hits after all.

The main complains seem to be about the long ending and multiple long cutscenes. I'm guessing they didn't like MGS2 that much either, but to me the lenghty cutscenes are fine.

One thing I was sorta shocked was how they pointed out the graphics are bad in close-up. I'm not talking ground/wall textures, but the the character models. I seriously don't get this - the character models look great in screens and trailers yet the one specific screenshot EDGE highlighted snake's model (the detail on his suit) looks PS2 calibur. Where as the other screens in their review use the same screens we've seen before and the character models look the best in the biz!

weird. Well I hope its definitely the later.
I'm 100% sure that they were talking about textures on the surroundings. There's another side text that says that Otacon is a revolution in gaming, partially thanks to how detailed he is.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Alright, 11 days people! I love waking up in the morning <3

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I've never copied stuff from Game***s to GAF but I just had to do it this time...

People say that MGS won't lift the PS3 sales a bit, this poll shows something different though:

pNBXTARSd.jpg

11% of the voters will buy a PS3 when MGS4 is out. Pretty damn impressive.

Seiken said:
I've never copied stuff from Game***s to GAF but I just had to do it this time...

People say that MGS won't lift the PS3 sales a bit, this poll shows something different though:

pNBXTARSd.jpg

11% of the voters will buy a PS3 when MGS4 is out. Pretty damn impressive.

well ill buy one for mgs4 too. sadly, the crappy euro bundle without DS3 -_-

psycho_snake

ZeroTolerance said:
Yes but you can have it too I guess.

EDIT: Oh wait, you did decide to go with it anyway.
yeah, someone said that they didnt think someone already had that avatar, so I just took it. The OP will updated with more later, so I'll get a new one once they're up.

ZeroTolerance

Man, i just looked at the OP again for the 15th or so time...:D

EDIT: for a minute there, I though I had DP...see how weird it looks ? :lol

Mromson

hirokazu said:
So close! I expect more people to get their copy early by the end of this week though :( While we will continue waiting.
All I can say is... Lock yourself in your house a week before MGS4 and play MGS3 > MPO (Seriously play MPO, it's AWESOME) > MG1 > MG2 > MGS > MGS2. And in case you finish it before June 12th, well - there's always E and EE mode to beat. :lol

psycho_snake

Mromson said:
I see. Thats pretty cool.

The thought the whole camo system worked differently. I thought that you have go and collect camo's that are hidden in boxes throughout the game like they were in MGS3. Your ocotcamo will then learn that camo. When you're up against something, your octocamo will pick the camo that has the most similar texture to the thing you're leaning against.

The actual way the octocamo suit works is better than that though. If you let the suit auto-select the camo, then you're always going to be very well hidden because it copies any texture you;re leaning against.

psycho_snake

ZeroTolerance said:
Man, i just looked at the OP again for the 15th or so time...:D

EDIT: for a minute there, I though I had DP...see how weird it looks ? :lol
I've changed it now. Hopefully no-one has the same avatar again!

hirokazu

psycho_snake said:
I see. Thats pretty cool.

The thought the whole camo system worked differently. I thought that you have go and collect camo's that are hidden in boxes throughout the game like they were in MGS3. Your ocotcamo will then learn that camo. When you're up against something, your octocamo will pick the camo that has the most similar texture to the thing you're leaning against.

The actual way the octocamo suit works is better than that though. If you let the suit auto-select the camo, then you're always going to be very well hidden because it copies any texture you;re leaning against.
Has anyone wondered why there needs to be an Octocamo in the future when Snake could just use the stealth camouflage technology that Otacon and Cyborg Ninja uses in MGS1? I mean, Snake himself uses at the start of MGS2, until it breaks from his big jump or the rain or whatever..

Except that it would make the game a lot less fun and interesting, that is... :p

Dever

Banned
So what are the big loose plot points, other than the Patriots? I would also like to know what the fuck Vamp is. Have I missed some other big ones?

hirokazu said:
Has anyone wondered why there needs to be an Octocamo in the future when Snake could just use the stealth camouflage technology that Otacon and Cyborg Ninja uses in MGS1? I mean, Snake himself uses at the start of MGS2, until it breaks from his big jump or the rain or whatever..

Except that it would make the game a lot less fun and interesting, that is... :p
Octocamo is pretty much that, the enemies can't see him.

Dever

Banned
Raist said:
A vampire ?

Nah, unless MGS is suddenly a fantasy game, a better explanation would be nice. Just like instead of Fortune being a witch or something,
she was protected by some bubbleshield developed by the Patriots.

BeeDog

Dever said:
Nah, unless MGS is suddenly a fantasy game, a better explanation would be nice. Just like instead of Fortune being a witch or something,

Where was that explained? Must've missed it.

Raist

Banned
Dever said:

Well we're speaking of a game where cloning humans in the 70's was possible, and a dude controls another dude just because the former had his arm engrafted on the latter, so...
And IIRC Fortune managed to deflect RAY's missiles after Ocelot deactivated her shield

Yoshichan

BeeDog said:
Solidus explains that on Arsenal Gear

Dever

Banned
BeeDog said:

Ocelot explained it after
he shot her. Solidus then tried to kill him, but couldn't because Ocelot was using the same device. After that Fortune blocked a ton of missiles with nothing but sheer luck though...

Dever

Banned
Raist said:
Well we're speaking of a game where cloning humans in the 70's was possible, and a dude controls another dude just because the former had his arm engrafted on the latter, so...
And IIRC Fortune managed to deflect RAY's missiles after Ocelot deactivated her shield

Ok, you got me. :p But I'd still like some sort of explanation, like "He was engineered by teh patriots!!11 *Insert complicated stuff about genetic engineering etc here* "

Mromson

BeeDog said:
Explained at the end of MGS2. But I think (MGS2 theory/plot spoiler)
that fortune had the psychic power to deflect bullets etc, just that those powers weren't strong enough - so the patriots planted the device on her to make the training simulation more complete.

Dever said:

MGS has always been a fantasy game or more specifically, "magical realism."
How did psycho mantis fly around and throw shit with his mind? How did a 400 lb eskimo man get eaten in 5 seconds by a bunch of crows?
I don't know how people got this idea in their heads that MGS is a realistic military game like Splinter Cell and that everything needs a logical explanation.

Blablurn

ZeroTolerance said:
What's your question ?

It's about 4. Not that you think I want to talk about 2 as the others right now.

the question is:

does roy campbell really die in 4? If yes, i assume the other things i unfortunately read are true as well.

Klone.K

New detail from the EDGE review.

The reviewer critisized the game as not appealing to reviewers who were not fans of MGS2's overly indulgent, philo-babbling ending. (Edge reviewer included)

hirokazu

Ynos Yrros said:
Octocamo is pretty much that, the enemies can't see him.
Ah, but the Octocamo is very different, it doesn't make him invisible, if he moves, the enemy would still spot him. The stealth tech from MGS1 makes the user practically invisible. That sounds like a superior infiltration device than the newer Octocamo to me. :p

Blablurn said:
It's about 4. Not that you think I want to talk about 2 as the others right now.

the question is:

does roy campbell really die in 4? If yes, i assume the other things i unfortunately read are true as well.
I never read those supposed fake spoilers a few pages back, missed them and can't be bothered to go back and read them, but if I were you, I'd just wait for the game and find out myself. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom