• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Holy shit, I went AFK for 8 hours and all of this happens?

NeoUltima

Not too sure about this, correct me if I'm wrong:

Graphics: 9
Gameplay: 10
Sound: 10
Lasting Appeal: 9

Score: 9
Bagh..I really hate whole number reviews scales that go up to 10....Places that review like this can really hurt the metacritic averages(which is why you can't always completely judge a game based on its metacritic score). Edge for instance gave the game an 8...however if the review scale allowed it, I'm pretty sure the reviewer would have given an 8.5.

If it goes up to 10, they need to use .5's at least. Graphics 9, gameplay 10, sound 10, lasting appeal 9...A final score of a 9 is too low, yet a 10 is too high. I bet the people that review at whole-number scale publications often debate whether they should give a game, for example, an 8 or a 9.

VGChampion said:
I'm so jealous of everyone who gets to go to these things. Why can't he came to Florida? :lol
I know, wtf kojipro :(.

karasu

Ploid 3.0 said:
I was playing mgs3 recently and couldn't wait until the next CS.

That was my experience with MGS3 when I originally got it. The cut scenes in MGS3 and the crazy ones in DMC3 are what made games interesting to me again. Gameplay too, of course.

Superfrog

Lakitu said:
Be careful guys, the MGS 4 strategy guide is being released tomorrow.
No, the guide will be in stores on June 12, just as the game (there's also a Limited Collector's Edition coming, by the way). Maybe a few retailers will sell them a couple of days early, but official release date is definitely June 12.

In the meantime watch out for free downloadable sample pages on www.piggybackinteractive.com sometime between now and the end of next week.

eso76

patsu said:
Yeah man, I bailed after reading one sentence in the first tagged paragraph.

if you think of it, there's a spoiler in the fucking summary (is that the summary?) just below the game's title. "the ending
made us sad for the wrong reasons
" obviously meaning they
expected to be sad about something - oh, i wonder what they're referring to- that didn't happen
Damn, i haven't been following the game in months and i think i had the fucking ending spoiled.

NeoUltima

Dever said:
How is the lasting appeal not a 10? The game lasts around 25 hours, and MGS is one of the most re-playable series in gaming. And from what I've heard, you get new weapons and stuff on multiple playthroughs. Then there's a little thing called MGO...
No reviews so far are including MGO for some reason(the word is that the press servers weren't up for them to review it).

I already expect MGS2 levels of insanity in the cutscenes, and bloated philosophical talk so this review doesn't reveal much new. What it does describe a bit is this thing that changes the entire game midway through. Dont read the review if you dont want to know it... I am a bit afraid though.

VaLiancY

There is a pretty heavy spoilerific video I saw on GameTrailers, It's a preview from a UK video game show, so avoid it if you can.

And I can't find any 80GB PS3s online at regular retail price. :(

KZObsessed

eso76 said:
Damn, i haven't been following the game in months and i think i had the fucking ending spoiled.

Same here. (vague ending spoiler)
they basically just told us what doesn't happen that was hinted at in the trailers :( I didn't expect it to happen but I certainly didn't want to know it doesn't happen. Takes away the suspense. ;_;

This is why Konami have so many stipulations on what to mention in the reviews, because of idiot reviewers like that. And people complain about it... *sigh*

eso76 said:
if you think of it, there's a spoiler in the fucking summary (is that the summary?) just below the game's title. "the ending
made us sad for the wrong reasons
" obviously meaning they
expected to be sad about something - oh, i wonder what they're referring to- that didn't happen
Look at it this way. You don't know
IF that's the case, nor do you know HOW it ends up that way if it, in fact, IS the case.
Keep the faith my friend. :D

So basically only Eurogamer and Edge have given this game anything less than a 9 if by the time this game comes out they are still the only ones I am going to crack up.

NeoUltima

NeoUltima said:
That's Gamesradar :p.

PSM3 UK gave it a 95%.

Edit: hmm, now I'm confused. "Words: Daniel Dawkins, PSM3 UK"
I think I know. Gamesradar must have had a guy from PSM3 UK review it for them.

NeoUltima

BruceLeeRoy said:
So basically only Eurogamer and Edge have given this game anything less than a 9 if by the time this game comes out they are still the only ones I am going to crack up.
To be fair, Edge is known for being incredibly harsh...and Eurogamer is known for um..odd? scores. i.e. 6 for Resistance :lol .

that gamesradar review is very interesting, they actually said less about the gameplay, but more about the philosophy, ideology and stuff that you usually see in movie reviews. like what the game's trying to do, commentary about politics, war, etc. they're using film like Lord of the ring as comparison in their reviews. not the quality of writing, but the long ending that film has, so be prepared.

also, reading the review, I can't help but think that the reviewer like it a lot but trying his hardest to lower your expectation for the game so that you can enjoy the game a lot more. it seems the reviewer himself admit that he had unbelievable amount of expectation for the game that's just unrealistic.

overall, I think it's a good review, and actually interesting to read because it's not repeating the same stuff about gameplay mechanic we've known already

dallow_bg

nods at old men
35c3gr8.jpg

In JD shirt.
Walking onstage to JD music.
So cool.

NeoUltima said:
To be fair, Edge is known for being incredibly harsh...and Eurogamer is known for um..odd? scores. i.e. 6 for Resistance :lol .

I can respect Edge though I am pretty sure they dock a point no matter what game they are reviewing just to maintain their hardcore edge.

Eurogamer just seems to wish they were edge.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
BruceLeeRoy said:
I can respect Edge though I am pretty sure they dock a point no matter what game they are reviewing just to maintain their hardcore edge.

Eurogamer just seems to wish they were edge.

Eurogamer is pretty good, though. Definitely one of the best sites out there, I'd say.

ItsInMyVeins said:
Eurogamer is pretty good, though. Definitely one of the best sites out there, I'd say.

You know I really really like Eurogamer's articles a lot and previews but ever since that Resistance review which I am not faulting cause OMG Anyone that doesn't give Resistance a good review is crazy! But mostly because the whole time I was reading it I sincerely believed they did not play the whole game which I know is nothing new but just kind of puts a chink in their professionalism.

Prothero

Neo Member
Superfrog said:
No, the guide will be in stores on June 12, just as the game (there's also a Limited Collector's Edition coming, by the way). Maybe a few retailers will sell them a couple of days early, but official release date is definitely June 12.

In the meantime watch out for free downloadable sample pages on www.piggybackinteractive.com sometime between now and the end of next week.

I got an e-mail advertisement from EB/GameStop a couple of weeks ago, promoting an early release for the strategy guide (I think it was in their weekly ad.) It comes out tomorrow or the day after for them.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

roxya

Tom_Cody said:
I just saw those for the first time last week. I've had Subsistence SE since it came out, but I never watched the videos fro some reason. They are all excellent.

My favorite: Payback

Heh yeah, Payback is fucking amazing.

Mromson

You know, it still amazes me that the Original MGS3 merely sold 4million copies. Especially since there are people like me, who bought at least 1-2 copies of every single MGS game released/re-released. >_>

Dever

Banned
snack said:
What was the exact reason the battle with The Boss was timed?

The Boss ordered for the place to be bombed in 10 minutes.

edit: too slow. Looks like I'm long overdue for retirement.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Man, watching this retrospective has reminded of how much I love Snake Eater's music. I think it has my favorite soundtrack of the series.

Another excellent entry, Gametrailers! Wasn't expecting that you'd throw in
Portable Ops
at the end.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Great job on the retrospective. God, this just reminds me how much I love MGS3. Probably my favorite game of the PS2 gen (Nocturne, DMC3, RE4, and P3 are up there too, but not quite).

Honestly, watching this, how can anyone say there's such a thing as TOO MUCH Kojima cutscene?

dfyb said:
just came home with the MGS novel. will read it after i finish reading Idoru.

Wow. I remember Idoru - I read that when I was in the 9th grade, after reading Neuromancer for the umpteenth time - was a really good book. Gave me a whole new outlook on idol singers...

Catalix

MollyMillions said:
Honestly, watching this, how can anyone say there's such a thing as TOO MUCH Kojima cutscene?
Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom