• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfyb

Banned
Auron_Kale said:
Wow. I remember Idoru - I read that when I was in the 9th grade, after reading Neuromancer for the umpteenth time - was a really good book. Gave me a whole new outlook on idol singers...
yeah, i typically don't really read novels. so i'm sort of catching up.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Auron_Kale said:
Wow. I remember Idoru - I read that when I was in the 9th grade, after reading Neuromancer for the umpteenth time - was a really good book. Gave me a whole new outlook on idol singers...

Same here (can you tell? :D ). I still think Gibson's sprawl trilogy is the best thing he's written, though. Those books were also a major influence on Kojima. Snatcher is pretty much set in Gibson's sprawl.

Guled

Mromson said:
You know, it still amazes me that the Original MGS3 merely sold 4million copies. Especially since there are people like me, who bought at least 1-2 copies of every single MGS game released/re-released. >_>
Well, it came out right after GTA:SA and Halo 2 so those games got the attention of the media (even though mgs3 is a better game). So mgs3 wasn't marketed properly.

BruceLeeRoy said:
The complaints about this are ridiculous to me. Go make a fu@#$ing sandwich or watch your favorite episode of Top Chef. Ill gladly take a little forethought on my part to be able to play a game with consistently faster load times.
Always reminds me of this. Skip to about 4/5 of the video. :lol

stay gold

Mromson said:
You know, it still amazes me that the Original MGS3 merely sold 4million copies. Especially since there are people like me, who bought at least 1-2 copies of every single MGS game released/re-released. >_>

They released it at 2 pretty stupid times. Just after San Andreas in the US, and in the same week as Gran Turismo 4 in Europe, god knows what they were thinking.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
I know the common wisdom is that Kojima "toned down" the cutscenes in MGS3 compared to MGS2. I haven't played Sons of Liberty in years, so I can't quite remember if that's more perception than reality.

I definitely know that I felt MGS3 was pretty much perfectly paced and I never found the storytelling indulgent or overwhelming of the gameplay. Hopefully the same will be true of MGS4.

MollyMillions said:
Same here (can you tell? :D ). I still think Gibson's sprawl trilogy is the best thing he's written, though. Those books were also a major influence on Kojima. Snatcher is pretty much set in Gibson's sprawl.

Oh yeah - loved those books. It's funny that by the I had read Neuromancer for like the third time or so, I had gotten back into watching Blade Runner and reading up on Snatcher's storyline (one of the few games that I wished I had gotten to play when it first came out). Gillian reminded me of Deckard and I loved the whole cyberpunk, dystopian future where technology is everywhere and no one can seem to remember what life was like without it.

Guled

MollyMillions said:
I know the common wisdom is that Kojima "toned down" the cutscenes in MGS3 compared to MGS2. I haven't played Sons of Liberty in years, so I can't quite remember if that's more perception than reality.

I definitely know that I felt MGS3 was pretty much perfectly paced and I never found the storytelling indulgent or overwhelming of the gameplay. Hopefully the same will be true of MGS4.
it wasn't cutscenes in MGS2 that was the problem, it was the codec.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

Fady K

Heh, the funny thing is, many of the reviews are docking the game for its lengthy cutscenes - which MAKES ME HAPPY :D I want lengthy cutscenes :D

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Fady K said:
Heh, the funny thing is, many of the reviews are docking the game for its lengthy cutscenes - which MAKES ME HAPPY :D I want lengthy cutscenes :D
Yeah, it's nice to see somebody list it as a plus for once.

DrBo42

g35twinturbo said:
It wasn't Jack. It was Campbell :)
It wasn't Campbell. It was the famous purple stuffed worm in flapjaw space with the tuning fork that does a raw blink on hari-kari rock. I need scissors, 61!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Catalix said:
I'd love MGS4 to have more cutscenes/codec than gameplay too.

Fady K

SOME OF U GUYS GOT TO MEET KOJIMA!!! :( I ENVY U GUYS...CONGRATS...

Catalix said:

Seiken said:
I'd love MGS4 to have more cutscenes/codec than gameplay too.

Yep :) And hey guys - 9 DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYS!!!! :D

Catalix

WTF, taken from that PlayStation Beyond review:

Cursed with the aforementioned Foxdie, induced into his body by none other than Merry Silverburg during the Shadow Moses

:lol

Catalix said:

:lol

Seriously, I don't know if that was a typo or some kind of weird spoiler. I'm pretty sure it was the previous but that would be awkward if true (and kind of shitty)

MollyMillions

Neo Member
I actually think Raiden would have gone over much better in the US and Europe if they'd cast his voice differently. He's massively popular in Japan, and that's not just because he's pretty. Instead of the whiny, high-pitched Quinton Flynn performance (he's not a bad voice actor, but it's really not his best work), if they'd given him a quiet, neutral voice more similar to Kenyû Horiuchi's, I think the character would have been much more successful.

I don't say this as someone who categorically thinks Japanese voice casts are better, by the way. Other than Akio Otsuka, I think the English voices for MGS are MUCH better than their Japanese counterparts, on the whole.

Acid08

Banned
Auron_Kale said:
You're out in Dublin? I live out in Dublin too! Anyways, Dublin trains start running before 6 AM. Train ride usually takes less than an hour. Get off at the Powell stop and exit onto 4th & Market St (Old Navy should be in front of you) and make a left - You should see the big Metreon sign.

Round-trip is about $11 bucks or so.
You live in Dublin also? Wow, how weird is that to find someone else living in our small little city on Gaf :D . I'm going to leave pretty early just to be safe. Hopefully they announce what time the signing will start. I'll call the store to see and post what they say here so all of the Gaffers going to the SF signing will be in the know :D

eso76

Callibretto said:
also, reading the review, I can't help but think that the reviewer like it a lot but trying his hardest to lower your expectation for the game so that you can enjoy the game a lot more. it seems the reviewer himself admit that he had unbelievable amount of expectation for the game that's just unrealistic.

overall, I think it's a good review, and actually interesting to read because it's not repeating the same stuff about gameplay mechanic we've known already

Not sure, the reviewer sounds torn between greatness and disappointment, and as a loyal MGS fan -he does sound like one- he prefers blaming his unrealistically high expectations.
The game certainly is amazing, but not all they'd hoped for.
The reviewers says there's nothing quite in the same league as The End and a few other examples of Kojima's creativity found in prequels, and from a certain point of the game on, things become too fragmented.
That and the idiot reveals 'stuff' about the damn ending of the game.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Rapping Granny said:
anyone asked him about ZOE3?

I will, when he comes to NYC. I'm also gonna ask him about that Snatcher Project-S he's doing with Suda 51. He's gonna be like "who is this crazy chick and why won't she leave me alone?" :lol

Guled

Catalix said:
Is that just a mistake or did they even play the game?

MollyMillions said:
I will, when he comes to NYC. I'm also gonna ask him about that Snatcher Project-S he's doing with Suda 51. He's gonna be like "who is this crazy chick and why won't she leave me alone?"
The project S thing was just a radio drama. Just make sure to pester him about ZoE3

Fady K

DrBo42 said:
Wow. THEY DO EXIST. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knidq8QClHw

I'm just really surprised by that. I hope whoever takes the reigns of MGS never listens to you. I buy a game to actually, you know, play it. Don't get me wrong I love the MGS plot and the cutscenes. If I'm watching more than actually playing, that's a problem in a video game.

I know, I know, the thing is dude, I dont mind more watching than playing when there is a lot to play. It seems that MGS4 will be evened out between playing and watching so all of us fans of the plot win :D Just look at Snake Eater, it had sooo much to watch, yet sooo much to play. Heck, as long as the story makes more sense than MGS2 :lol

patsu

Acid08 said:
You live in Dublin also? Wow, how weird is that to find someone else living in our small little city on Gaf :D . I'm going to leave pretty early just to be safe. Hopefully they announce what time the signing will start. I'll call the store to see and post what they say here so all of the Gaffers going to the SF signing will be in the know :D

I am about 40 min drive away from Dublin.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
DrBo42 said:
Wow. THEY DO EXIST. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knidq8QClHw

I'm just really surprised by that. I hope whoever takes the reigns of MGS never listens to you. I buy a game to actually, you know, play it. Don't get me wrong I love the MGS plot and the cutscenes. If I'm watching more than actually playing, that's a problem in a video game.
:lol :lol :lol

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Guled said:
The project S thing was just a radio drama. Just make sure to pester him about ZoE3

Hmm, according to this, the radio drama is just the first of several Snatcher-related projects they're doing together. I'm still gonna bug him about it, but I'll def mention ZOE3, too. ;)

Acid08 said:

Random...a fellow Gaffer in Dublin...anyway, I get off of work here in SF at 5pm so I can just walk over to the Metreon before heading back to Dublin and ask questions though according to Ryan's podcast, the event's happening in the afternoon on the 14th.

I just nerded out and ordered the MGS4 OST and the Limited Edition Strategy Guide.

That lithograph is going to look really pretty next to my MGS4 LE.

I am such a consumer whore.

Yoshichan

These black bars... are killing me...

9 DAYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

DrBo42 said:
:lol It's a pathetic attempt to cash in on the popularity of the retrospectives Gametrailers has been doing.

It also surprisingly shows Snake in a new setting in MGS4, stay away if you're on lock-down.

Agreed. It only reaffirmed for me just how much I love the theme from MGS2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom