• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
LiquidMetal14 said:
I want you to light a candle and throw it in your store. Play some Luther while doing it as he says "light a candle".......yes.......that'l show them for their no artbook shananagans and riff raff.

Haha. Well, as I said, I think for those who have it preordered already at my store and show me their receipt, I will give them it early if they inquire about it.

Darkpen

Banned
Kagari said:
Oookay. Here's the deal on those artbooks.

We got an email saying we're not supposed to give them out until release D:
eh. At least Gamestop is stepping up with how those preorder bonuses are handed out now. I hated it when employees would just hand them out without a care in the world.

It was only thanks to a charitable GAFer that my anger subsided, as I received a copy of the Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1 dvd to call my own.

MollyMillions said:
For comparison's sake:

Metal Gear Solid 2 Theme
This is the supposedly plagiarized melody that is NOT on the MGS4 OST.

Metal Gear Solid 3 Theme as it appears in Snake Eater.

Metal Gear Saga. This is the track that is presumably the MGS4 theme from the Guns of the Patriots OST.
As you can tell from listening to them, the new MGS4 theme is an arrangement of the MGS3 theme, not the MGS/MGS2 theme, which is sadly not present anywhere in the 47 tracks of the soundtrack. Molly am cry.

and as you can tell from listening to the MGS3 theme, it's an arrangement of the MGS2 one.

Nabbing
this one for awhile if no one else has it. Ever since MGS3, Ocelot has become my favorite character.

hirokazu said:
No, there is no song in the soundtrack with (lol, spoilers :lol)
the Main Theme from MGS and MGS2.
The track titled
Metal Gear Saga is the closest you'll get, which is based off the Main Theme from MGS3, except towards the end, when the original Main Theme appears in the MGS3 version, it never does in the Metal Gear Saga track

Uh, that's what I said. By (take yer spoilers and shove it) Metal Gear theme, I meant the "plagiarized" melody that everyone loves and has been in all the games up to MGS4. And it's possible that the game will have music that's not featured on the soundtrack. For instance, the piece "War Economy" that's available on the website doesn't appear to be on the soundtrack.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
BlockBastard said:
and as you can tell from listening to the MGS3 theme, it's an arrangement of the MGS2 one.

Um, no, it's not. As pointed out above, the Snake Eater version of the MGS3 theme features the acoustic guitar rendition of the MGS/MGS2 theme towards the end. If you listen to the MGS4 theme (Metal Gear Saga), that section has been replaced with an acoustic version of itself, i.e. the new MGS3 theme.

If you really can't hear that the original theme is nowhere to be found, then I can't help you.

Seriously, MGS4 Defense Force is the most hair-trigger group ever.

Darkpen said:
thanks for checking.

Not a problem. I'm currently camped out at the Apple store right now typing on my iTouch :lol. I should head on home now since I'm really hungry. :D. I think I'll get so pizza at Blondie's before I go.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Kagari said:
Oookay. Here's the deal on those artbooks.

We got an email saying we're not supposed to give them out until release D:

A part of me is disappointed because I want the artbook now, but I am glad it is coming out on release because that means one trip to gamestop for me.

Kagari said:
The new Retrospective is fantastic. I LOVE MGS3.

Same here. The Boss and Big Boss are my favorite characters and Volgin is a much better villain than Liquid and Solidus.

kuYuri

Damn, catching up with this topic is going to get annoying. I have to constantly visit it just to stay in the know. :lol

After having read the account of the London signing, I'm getting scared. Do I have to camp out 24 hours in advance just to get near the front of the line, especially here in NYC? I guess I might be up for it, but I'd rather not do it alone. Anyone want to keep me company? :D

Going to watch next retrospective now.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
neojubei said:
A part of me is disappointed because I want the artbook now, but I am glad it is coming out on release because that means one trip to gamestop for me.

I'll take pics for you :O

MollyMillions said:
If you really can't hear that the original theme is nowhere to be found, then I can't help you.

Seriously? Did you really have to go there? One can't argue about the contents of the OST without being labeled as part of the defense force? Was I being hostile in any way?

:lol

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Strider2K99 said:
After having read the account of the London signing, I'm getting scared. Do I have to camp out 24 hours in advance just to get near the front of the line, especially here in NYC? I guess I might be up for it, but I'd rather not do it alone. Anyone want to keep me company? :D

I'll be there...I'll wear something bright so you can pick me out. :D I've convinced my mans to come keep me company at the Times Square Virgin. Not sure If I'm gonna go to the Uniqlo event later as well.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
BlockBastard said:
Seriously? Did you really have to go there? One can't argue about the contents of the OST without being labeled as part of the defense force? Was I being hostile in any way?

:lol

Ok, my bad, nothing but love over here. It just gets irritating (as a total MGS fangirl) when any possible suggestion that something about MGS4 may be disappointing and not perfect gets jumped on.

kuYuri

MollyMillions said:
I'll be there...I'll wear something bright so you can pick me out. :D I've convinced my mans to come keep me company at the Times Square Virgin. Not sure If I'm gonna go to the Uniqlo event later as well.

Lucky you. I have a friend who is getting the MGS4 bundle, but I don't think he wants to wait in line that late at Virgin. He's the only one who I know personally that is getting MGS4. If I can't convince him to come, I'm alone. The Uniqlo one, I might another friend who is coming with me and is interested in the shirts.

I need to find out more info about the signings.

hirokazu

Wait, I thought something was weird.

From New Metal Gear Solid 4 screens (SPOIIIILLLLERS), when the dude on GameFAQs got the game early.
Laurent said:
I WANT TO BE SPOILED!!!

*Goes to GameFAQs*
Why are you complaining about spoilers in the soundtrack?

MollyMillions said:
Ok, my bad, nothing but love over here. It just gets irritating (as a total MGS fangirl) when any possible suggestion that something about MGS4 may be disappointing and not perfect gets jumped on.

While I still do consider
Metal Gear Saga
to be the main theme, the lack of it would have hardly tarnished my perception of the game at all. :D

hirokazu

Red Blaster said:
Uh, that's what I said. By (take yer spoilers and shove it) Metal Gear theme, I meant the "plagiarized" melody that everyone loves and has been in all the games up to MGS4. And it's possible that the game will have music that's not featured on the soundtrack. For instance, the piece "War Economy" that's available on the website doesn't appear to be on the soundtrack.
Oh, sorry, I misread your post. That's a possibility, even if it's a slim one.

hirokazu

MollyMillions said:
Um, no, it's not. As pointed out above, the Snake Eater version of the MGS3 theme features the acoustic guitar rendition of the MGS/MGS2 theme towards the end. If you listen to the MGS4 theme (Metal Gear Saga), that section has been replaced with an acoustic version of itself, i.e. the new MGS3 theme.

Don't try to explain it, there already was an attempt to point out how it's different, but some people seem to hear similarities. To each his own.

BlockBastard said:
While I still do
Metal Gear Saga
to be the main theme, the lack of it would have hardly tarnished my perception of the game at all. :D
For all intents and purposes, it does appear to be the new main theme, and the fact that it's based so heavily on the MGS3 Main Theme just confirms it.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Strider2K99 said:
Lucky you. I have a friend who is getting the MGS4 bundle, but I don't think he wants to wait in line that late at Virgin. He's the only one who I know personally that is getting MGS4. If I can't convince him to come, I'm alone. The Uniqlo one, I might another friend who is coming with me and is interested in the shirts.

I need to find out more info about the signings.

This should pretty much cover it.

PM me if you want to meet up, I'll probably get at least 2-3 people to come with me, we're gonna intimidate Koji into giving up ZOE3 sekrits.

MollyMillions said:
PM me if you want to meet up, I'll probably get at least 2-3 people to come with me, we're gonna intimidate Koji into giving up ZOE3 sekrits.

Baby steps, first you ask him to pay some lackey in his department to greenlight Policenauts for an English release via PSN. Then you gracefully segue into ZOE3.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Red Blaster said:
Baby steps, first you ask him to pay some lackey in his department to greenlight Policenauts for an English release via PSN. Then you gracefully segue into ZOE3.

True, if I was into giving foreplay I should really start out with "Where is my Snatcher remake? Just let Suda do it."

Laurent

hirokazu said:
There is nothing missing. It's not like any song from the past games MUST be in this game. There is no spoiler.

Unless you already consider songs from say Smash Bros. being revealed for characters/stages that are already known as being a big spoiler too.
Basically, I think people are overreacting with spoilers when soundtrack is being considerated.
A song is called Father & Son, why would this be a spoiler? This doesn't mean Big Boss will make a comeback; does it means Snake as a son? I think people are jumping to conclusions...

Now for a COME BACK; I have a question...

Both the Darpa Chief and President Kenneth (and ultimately, Liquid) are infected by FoxDie through Snake... Why shouldn't we believe that Meryll or Otacon are infected as well?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
MollyMillions said:

This is as correct as it can get.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Laurent said:

Both the Darpa Chief and President Kenneth (and ultimately, Liquid) are infected by FoxDie through Snake... Why shouldn't we believe that Meryll or Otacon are infected as well?

Fox Die was keyed in for certain individuals' DNA, or something to that nature.

Btw, just in case you're not sure, the darpa chief....
He was Decoy Octopus, or whatever his name was, which is why he died.

For those of you that read the Games Radar review and a select few others, I was curious. Do you think that a few of these reviews are a direct result of the backlash from some of the overly glowing GTA IV reviews? Like, reviewers feel a bit more pressure now to point out some obvious flaws? Will MGS4 suffer (if you can call it that. who cares? we're all gonna buy it and play it) lower review scores because of the GTA IV backlash? Just curious. Would like to know what you all think.

Laurent said:

Because the government didn't consider Meryl important in MGS1 and Otacon was probably too valuable to to kill. He is the main man behind REX after all.

Gen-X

Banned
Laurent said:
Basically, I think people are overreacting with spoilers when soundtrack is being considerated.
A song is called Father & Son, why would this be a spoiler? This doesn't mean Big Boss will make a comeback; does it means Snake as a son? I think people are jumping to conclusions...

Foxdie only targeted certain people in MGS. There are 3 generations of Foxdie with the 1st one being in MGS. Naomi made it target Snake, the renegade members of Foxhound and the whole Genome army. Surprisingly it hasn't affected Snake yet because well Naomi set it to attack him at any time, while it did kill Liquid since they had the same exact genetic make-up.

tha_con

Banned
Holy god! HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!

I got the OST finally. OMG. SOOOO GOOOOOD. Kind of regret getting it so early though, I feel like I'm spoiling some of the magic :lol

tha_con said:
Holy god! HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!

I got the OST finally. OMG. SOOOO GOOOOOD. Kind of regret getting it so early though, I feel like I'm spoiling some of the magic :lol

avoid the second disc if you have the power.

Laurent

So FoxDie targeted specific DNA, I thought the virus was more "realistic" than that... :lol
Yeah, I remembered about Decoy Octopus posing as the Darpa Chief

NeoUltima

Metroidvania said:
Fox Die was keyed in for certain individuals' DNA, or something to that nature.

Btw, just in case you're not sure, the darpa chief....
He was Decoy Octopus, or whatever his name was, which is why he died.
Actually...(mgs1)
When Ocelot "accidentally"(he did it on purpose) killed the DARPA chief, Decoy Octopus drained the Chief's blood and put it inside himself as was part of his disguising routine. When Snake came into contact with Donald's blood/nanomachines that were inside Octopus, FoxDie activated and Octopus died how the Donald was intended to die. The DARPA chief was supposed to die just like Baker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom