• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klone.K

"By the end, it's like Hideo Kojima is writing from his deathbed and insisting the notes be published unedited. To its credit, the game touches on the most important themes of human existence - not a claim you could level at Saints Row 2"

Fucking orgasmic, I'm expecting a mindfuck that will make MGS2 seem like a Winnie the Pooh pop up book.

Klone.K said:
"By the end, it's like Hideo Kojima is writing from his deathbed and insisting the notes be published unedited. To its credit, the game touches on the most important themes of human existence - not a claim you could level at Saints Row 2"

Fucking orgasmic, I'm expecting a mindfuck that will make MGS2 seem like a Winnie the Pooh pop up book.

Where is that quote from? :lol

The ad is fucking awesome! Though I doubt I'd let my girlfriend(lol) sit next to me while I was basking in the awesomeness that is MGS4. She is walking home.

Alone.

Kagari said:
There's been ads.

Also, lots of retailer ads for it too. Definitely more than AC got :p In my store, it's like Halo level ads.
Good to hear, I haven't see much of them expect for the typical pre release stuff at Gamestop.

Kagari said:
There's been ads.

Also, lots of retailer ads for it too. Definitely more than AC got :p In my store, it's like Halo level ads.
Good to hear, I haven't see much of them expect for the typical pre release stuff at Gamestop.

Klone.K said:

http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?Product_ID=69640 :)
Well, it ships today but it takes maximum 2 days to reach so...

Oh and:

8DAYS.jpg

Kagari said:
There's been ads.

Okay, someone help me out. I've played every single Metal Gear game EXCEPT Portable Ops, since I don't have a PSP. Can someone tell me what the vital story tidbits that come out of that game are? What does a MGS fan need to know about that game before heading into MGS4?

Darkpen

Banned
Ephemeris said:
Are you doing a giant (all regions) thread or just a localized one?
Auron_Kale said:
I'll be going with a friend. Still debating about driving to SF so if anyone in the East Bay (preferably Dublin/San Ramon area) wants to hitch a ride, let me know otherwise I'm taking BART in.
I'll be making a thread specifically for the San Francisco meetup. Also, I'm in Alameda, I could use a ride, but seeing how the London one went, I think we're gonna have to start lining up like super-early in the morning.

Klone.K

BlockBastard said:
game ships on the 6th.

shit...Guaranteed leaks there. Hell if I was a gamestop employee making 400 a month I'd give up my job to "borrow" an early copy of MGS4 and tear it apart by the 12th.

Do you think the entire damn script will be on the internet that same day or are we safe until the 7th?

creamsugar

40/40 (from 2ch, unconfirmed)

Editor A
圧倒的すぎるクオリティーとボリューム。シリーズのファンはもちろん
本作から始めても十分楽しめる親切な仕様も多くて◎。アクションが多
少苦手でもぜひやってほしい作品。本編に加え、『メタルギア オンラ
イン』も内容、サポートともに充実しており、まったく死角が見当たらない。

Editor B
おなじみのスニーキングアクションや、仕掛けが盛りだくさんのボス戦
は健在。何より新たな要素である武装の購入やカスタマイズが楽しい!
 注目のデモシーンもほかに類を見ないほどの大ボリュームで超充実で
す。さらに仲間との連繋を重視したオンライン対戦もできてオトクすぎ!

Editor C
膨大なデモに、新旧合わせたネタの数々。少々くどいと思える部分もあ
るが、最期まで見応え十分。また、自由にプレイスタイルが選べ、やり
込み要素も多いので、2週目以降も楽しい。オンラインは本編の設定を
活かしたシステムやルールは◎で、こちらもくり返し遊びたくなりました。

Editor D
自動で擬態する”オクトカム”は、初心者にもわかりやすいシステム。
デモシーンのクオリティーも文句なし。ただし、1~3作目からの登場
人物が多いので、ストーリーを十分に楽しみたいのなら要予習。オンラ
インは一般兵VSスネークなと、本シリーズならではのルールもあるのが○。

jdnation

Banned
BrandNew said:
Okay, someone help me out. I've played every single Metal Gear game EXCEPT Portable Ops, since I don't have a PSP. Can someone tell me what the vital story tidbits that come out of that game are? What does a MGS fan need to know about that game before heading into MGS4?

Well the best I can recommend is to check out the last part of part 4 of the GT retrospective. Or try watching all the cutscenes or full playthroughs on Youtube... I'm actually going through the game again right now.:D

daegan

I know I posted this in another thread, but at risk of being a doubleposting jackass, any NYC gaffers want to pick up two of the uniqlo shirts for me? There can be things in it for you....like the giant orange window posters that gamestop stores had up at the beginning of last month (if you want them, and shipping's not ridiculous. I am not sure how much that box is to ship.) Plus I'll pay for the shirts. XD

rikichi

Darkpen said:
I'll be making a thread specifically for the San Francisco meetup. Also, I'm in Alameda, I could use a ride, but seeing how the London one went, I think we're gonna have to start lining up like super-early in the morning.

lets put it this way, if the event does start at 4, your ass better try to be there at least 5 hours beforehand. im goin with a friend and we plan on being there at 7am.

creamsugar said:
40/40 (from 2ch, unconfirmed)

Editor A
圧倒的すぎるクオリティーとボリューム。シリーズのファンはもちろん
本作から始めても十分楽しめる親切な仕様も多くて◎。アクションが多
少苦手でもぜひやってほしい作品。本編に加え、『メタルギア オンラ
イン』も内容、サポートともに充実しており、まったく死角が見当たらない。

Editor B
おなじみのスニーキングアクションや、仕掛けが盛りだくさんのボス戦
は健在。何より新たな要素である武装の購入やカスタマイズが楽しい!
 注目のデモシーンもほかに類を見ないほどの大ボリュームで超充実で
す。さらに仲間との連繋を重視したオンライン対戦もできてオトクすぎ!

Editor C
膨大なデモに、新旧合わせたネタの数々。少々くどいと思える部分もあ
るが、最期まで見応え十分。また、自由にプレイスタイルが選べ、やり
込み要素も多いので、2週目以降も楽しい。オンラインは本編の設定を
活かしたシステムやルールは◎で、こちらもくり返し遊びたくなりました。

Editor D
自動で擬態する”オクトカム”は、初心者にもわかりやすいシステム。
デモシーンのクオリティーも文句なし。ただし、1~3作目からの登場
人物が多いので、ストーリーを十分に楽しみたいのなら要予習。オンラ
インは一般兵VSスネークなと、本シリーズならではのルールもあるのが○。

Oh shit

Darkpen

Banned
rikichi said:
lets put it this way, if the event does start at 4, your ass better try to be there at least 5 hours beforehand. im goin with a friend and we plan on being there at 7am.
seriously, like, I'm gonna have to go by bart at like 5 in the morning to get to SF. I'm not even sure if the muni runs at 5 in the morning.

does it?

Klone.K said:
Whens the last time Famitsu gave out a perfect score?

Only seven games so far have received perfect scores. They are listed in chronological order:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998, Nintendo, for Nintendo 64)
2. Soulcalibur (1999, Namco, for Dreamcast)
3. Vagrant Story (2000, Square Co., Ltd., for PlayStation)
4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003, Nintendo for Nintendo GameCube)
5. Nintendogs (2005, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)
6. Final Fantasy XII (2006, Square Enix, for PlayStation 2)
7. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008, Nintendo, for Wii)

Games that received a near-perfect score of 39 include:

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1991, Nintendo, for Super Famicom)
2. Virtua Fighter 2 (1995, Sega, for Sega Saturn)
3. Ridge Racer Revolution (1995, Namco, for PlayStation)
4. Super Mario 64 (1996, Nintendo, for Nintendo 64)
5. Tekken 3 (1998, Namco, for PlayStation)
6. Cyber Troopers Virtual On Oratorio Tangram (1999, Sega, for Dreamcast)
7. Final Fantasy X (2001, Square Co., Ltd., for PlayStation 2)
8. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (2001, Sony Computer Entertainment, for PlayStation 2)
9. Resident Evil (2002, Capcom, for Nintendo GameCube)
10. Dragon Quest VIII (2004, Square Enix, for PlayStation 2)
11. Gran Turismo 4 (2004, Sony Computer Entertainment, for PlayStation 2)
12. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (2005, Konami, for PlayStation 2)
13. Dead or Alive 4 (2005, Tecmo, for Xbox 360)
14. Kingdom Hearts II (2006, Square Enix and Buena Vista Games, for PlayStation 2)
15. Ōkami (2006, Capcom, for PlayStation 2)
16. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (2007, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)

Klone.K

distantmantra said:
Only seven games so far have received perfect scores. They are listed in chronological order:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998, Nintendo, for Nintendo 64)
2. Soulcalibur (1999, Namco, for Dreamcast)
3. Vagrant Story (2000, Square Co., Ltd., for PlayStation)
4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003, Nintendo for Nintendo GameCube)
5. Nintendogs (2005, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)
6. Final Fantasy XII (2006, Square Enix, for PlayStation 2)
7. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008, Nintendo, for Wii)

Games that received a near-perfect score of 39 include:

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1991, Nintendo, for Super Famicom)
2. Virtua Fighter 2 (1995, Sega, for Sega Saturn)
3. Ridge Racer Revolution (1995, Namco, for PlayStation)
4. Super Mario 64 (1996, Nintendo, for Nintendo 64)
5. Tekken 3 (1998, Namco, for PlayStation)
6. Cyber Troopers Virtual On Oratorio Tangram (1999, Sega, for Dreamcast)
7. Final Fantasy X (2001, Square Co., Ltd., for PlayStation 2)
8. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (2001, Sony Computer Entertainment, for PlayStation 2)
9. Resident Evil (2002, Capcom, for Nintendo GameCube)
10. Dragon Quest VIII (2004, Square Enix, for PlayStation 2)
11. Gran Turismo 4 (2004, Sony Computer Entertainment, for PlayStation 2)
12. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (2005, Konami, for PlayStation 2)
13. Dead or Alive 4 (2005, Tecmo, for Xbox 360)
14. Kingdom Hearts II (2006, Square Enix and Buena Vista Games, for PlayStation 2)
15. Ōkami (2006, Capcom, for PlayStation 2)
16. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (2007, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)

How seriously can we take this 40/40 MGS4 score considering it's the biggest game out of Japan this year and Famitsu probably signed some NDA's and bonuses for the early review?

Darkpen

Banned
Klone.K said:
How seriously can we take this 40/40 MGS4 score considering it's the biggest game out of Japan this year and Famitsu probably signed some NDA's and bonuses for the early review?
the NDA applies to what the reviewers got to talk about, not what they got to actually play.

This isn't GTAIV we're talking about here.

kay

Klone.K said:
Just stop thinking.

Klone.K said:

nevermind

40/40

great :lol

I have a question about MGO. I used to play Subsistence Online, and it was awesome, but one thing bugged me... if you looked directly at somebody, or aimed at them, their nametag would pop up, even if they were obscured from view, such as crawling in grass or under a box. Is that still in the game?

Kagari said:
There's been ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom