• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is admittingly off topic, but since this thread is being veiwed by many many PS3 owners, i figure i could ask for help here instead of starting a new thread.

Can i get a moterolla bluetooth headset that was intended for a phone to work with my
PS3? I synched the devices but can never seem to hear anything out of itwhen i tried to play online. If you can help, i guess it would be help to respond via PM so as not to clutter this thread about it.

Ugh. Fuck you EBGames and your shitty employees. Apparently they are not having a midnight launch. I will cancel my preorder in a heartbeat if anyone can confirm if Bestbuy or Futureshop is doing it? Pathetic. I just lost 12 hours of possible playtime.

Is it me or does the Mansion Level remind anyone in concept of the movie Commando (Arius's Mansion and such) even more so with all the weapons that are in the game (Arnie goes shopping).

Ploid 3.0

Gamer @ Heart said:
This is admittingly off topic, but since this thread is being veiwed by many many PS3 owners, i figure i could ask for help here instead of starting a new thread.

Can i get a moterolla bluetooth headset that was intended for a phone to work with my
PS3? I synched the devices but can never seem to hear anything out of itwhen i tried to play online. If you can help, i guess it would be help to respond via PM so as not to clutter this thread about it.

Did you pair it? And if so did you go to accessories then adjust the audio settings, and enable the headset to see that sound is coming out of it by blowing or talking? Do that until you see the lines move and hear yourself talking or can hear things like clapping when you clap. This can be MGO related so no worries about PMing. You gotta have audio set up for MGO rite?

Ploid 3.0 said:
Did you pair it? And if so did you go to accessories then adjust the audio settings, and enable the headset to see that sound is coming out of it by blowing or talking? Do that until you see the lines move and hear yourself talking or can hear things like clapping when you clap. This can be MGO related so no worries about PMing. You gotta have audio set up for MGO rite?

: )

I went to make a voice message and it directed me to accessory settings. I have it working now!

can someone confirm this from their web site. gamespot wtf nobody coul give a rip. do the world a favor. don't review mgs4

In reviews land, we at GameSpot have been put in a really tough position by multiple developers and publishers of late. We refused to cater to one of these whims last week, in regards to the review code provided to us for Ninja Gaiden II by Microsoft. In case you weren't aware, code provided to American review outlets was not final, and frankly, did not perform well (oddly, the European press was given retail code. The discrepancy baffles us as much as it baffles you). Microsoft announced that many of these problems, such as loading times and framerate issues, would not be present in the final version. Some outlets published a review early and noted the potential differences. At GameSpot, we chose not to give you a review that isn't based on the same software, frankly because we think that playing along with this publisher-enforced mind game (and therefore enabling it) is unethical and does a disservice to our readers.

The more recent mind-boggling publisher requests have come from Konami regarding Metal Gear Solid 4--requests that clearly cross the line. The first involved an event that we wanted no part of. The majority of the American press was recently flown to Japan for a so-called "boot camp," where reviewers spent two and a half days playing Metal Gear Solid 4 under the watchful eyes of the development team, socialized and dined with them, and then provided focus group-type feedback on the final day. We flatly refused this request, because we believe that an environment like this is contrary to the impartiality required to review a game--particularly a major game such as this one. We believe that journalists should not have to adhere to such demands, and that doing so puts them in an unethical and awkward position. In our eyes, it would be inappropriate for us to socialize with developers during the reviews process. And we think reasonable people would agree.

It has also been widely reported that Konami blatantly asked the press not to mention two pieces of pertinent information in their reviews: how long the cutscenes are, and how long the installation process is. Publishers routinely ask reviewers not to publish certain story points because they are considered spoilers. That's fair, and we've never resisted requests of that nature. However, cutscene length and installation length are pertinent subjects within the context of a review, and speaking on a personal level, I believe it is flat-out wrong for any publisher to request that pertinent information be left out of a review. The journalist decides what information is most important for the review--not the developer or its publisher.

These are mind games that put us in an awfully awkward position. Of course we want our reviews to be timely and competitive, but never at the expense of accuracy and objectiveness. As reviews begin to trickle out from other publications, our audience complains that we're "late," and by securing exclusive reviews and playing along with these unreasonable publisher requests, some publications foster this idea that the reviews process is a race to publication. Publishers create this environment--but many press outlets enable it, without questioning it, because it brings them all-important traffic. I, for one, am more interested in a review that isn't haunted by these specters, and I think you would want the same.

As of this writing, we are unsure if we will have a Metal gear Solid 4 review published by the game's release date. We have not received review code, and the earliest Konami is willing to provide it is on the 9th, three days before release. It's unfortunate that publisher politics have reached this point, where refusing to meet these unreasonable demands means that we and our readers are effectively punished. Please understand this much: We will bring you a review of Metal Gear Solid 4 when we've played the same code on the discs you buy, and played it in an appropriate, unbiased environment. We think you'll agree that this is the only real choice.

sorry if this is old news.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
islewarrior said:
can someone confirm this from their web site. gamespot wtf nobody coul give a rip. do the world a favor. don't review mgs4

In reviews land, we at GameSpot have been put in a really tough position by multiple developers and publishers of late. We refused to cater to one of these whims last week, in regards to the review code provided to us for Ninja Gaiden II by Microsoft. In case you weren't aware, code provided to American review outlets was not final, and frankly, did not perform well (oddly, the European press was given retail code. The discrepancy baffles us as much as it baffles you). Microsoft announced that many of these problems, such as loading times and framerate issues, would not be present in the final version. Some outlets published a review early and noted the potential differences. At GameSpot, we chose not to give you a review that isn't based on the same software, frankly because we think that playing along with this publisher-enforced mind game (and therefore enabling it) is unethical and does a disservice to our readers.

The more recent mind-boggling publisher requests have come from Konami regarding Metal Gear Solid 4--requests that clearly cross the line. The first involved an event that we wanted no part of. The majority of the American press was recently flown to Japan for a so-called "boot camp," where reviewers spent two and a half days playing Metal Gear Solid 4 under the watchful eyes of the development team, socialized and dined with them, and then provided focus group-type feedback on the final day. We flatly refused this request, because we believe that an environment like this is contrary to the impartiality required to review a game--particularly a major game such as this one. We believe that journalists should not have to adhere to such demands, and that doing so puts them in an unethical and awkward position. In our eyes, it would be inappropriate for us to socialize with developers during the reviews process. And we think reasonable people would agree.

It has also been widely reported that Konami blatantly asked the press not to mention two pieces of pertinent information in their reviews: how long the cutscenes are, and how long the installation process is. Publishers routinely ask reviewers not to publish certain story points because they are considered spoilers. That's fair, and we've never resisted requests of that nature. However, cutscene length and installation length are pertinent subjects within the context of a review, and speaking on a personal level, I believe it is flat-out wrong for any publisher to request that pertinent information be left out of a review. The journalist decides what information is most important for the review--not the developer or its publisher.

These are mind games that put us in an awfully awkward position. Of course we want our reviews to be timely and competitive, but never at the expense of accuracy and objectiveness. As reviews begin to trickle out from other publications, our audience complains that we're "late," and by securing exclusive reviews and playing along with these unreasonable publisher requests, some publications foster this idea that the reviews process is a race to publication. Publishers create this environment--but many press outlets enable it, without questioning it, because it brings them all-important traffic. I, for one, am more interested in a review that isn't haunted by these specters, and I think you would want the same.

As of this writing, we are unsure if we will have a Metal gear Solid 4 review published by the game's release date. We have not received review code, and the earliest Konami is willing to provide it is on the 9th, three days before release. It's unfortunate that publisher politics have reached this point, where refusing to meet these unreasonable demands means that we and our readers are effectively punished. Please understand this much: We will bring you a review of Metal Gear Solid 4 when we've played the same code on the discs you buy, and played it in an appropriate, unbiased environment. We think you'll agree that this is the only real choice.

i didnt read all of it but i came to a realization. why do reviews have to come out before the game? i mean if you really need the game to be reviewed before you buy it youre probably not going to buy it day one right?

De-mon

There is a new Beauty & the Boss trailer. I recorded it in Madrid, I will upload tomorrow.

Now time to sleep.

islewarrior said:

HAHA. If they didn't recieve a review code version of the game, they sure as shit weren't invited to this "boot-camp" event :lol. They're just bitter because their reviews are worthless these days and publishers don't give a shit about them.

MrDaravon

Prothero said:
I went to my local GameStop today to pick up my pre-ordered LE strategy guide, but no dice. The clerk said they're not getting the guides until tomorrow, but they might not put them out--he said they might be ordered by corporate to keep them away until June 12th. That's what I was told.

I actually came in here to post that it's in-stock on their website. I ordered it as well as a friend. I'll post if I get a shipping email or anything like that.

heydanbud

Banned
I promised myself I would beat all the other MGS games before I play this, but I just don't like MGS3... *goes and watches Metal Gear Retrospective*

twinturbo2 said:
Way OT, but you have the best username EVER. :D

Thanks. :) I originally signed up with my normal one, but it never got activated (yahoo email doh!), and I created this one by chance, it should have been Hands but I didn't see the typo. I figured its funnier since its a dual MST3K/Simpsons ref. :)

heydanbud

Banned
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Thanks. :) I originally signed up with my normal one, but it never got activated (yahoo email doh!), and I created this one by chance, it should have been Hands but I didn't see the typo. I figured its funnier since its a dual MST3K/Simpsons ref. :)

The Final Sacrifice and Prince of Space are my favorite episodes.

Sorry for OT

NeoUltima

MoonsaultSlayer said:
HAHA. If they didn't recieve a review code version of the game, they sure as shit weren't invited to this "boot-camp" event :lol. They're just bitter because their reviews are worthless these days and publishers don't give a shit about them.
Umm..publisher's care more about Gamespot reviews than most other publications'. There's some chart somewhere that shows that Gamespot and IGN bring in like 90%(or some other high value) of gaming related internet traffic.

The Japanese "Boot Camp" wasn't even an event for journalists to review the game at. I don't see why they wouldn't have gone to the boot camp anyway...They could have at least written previews based on what they played.

MoonsaultSlayer said:

Once again
Konami to Gamespot:
65f4d8408df3000e16d56b730811f0b8.jpg

Ephemeris

heydanbud said:
I promised myself I would beat all the other MGS games before I play this, but I just don't like MGS3... *goes and watches Metal Gear Retrospective*

Wait.. what? But but but... why?

heydanbud said:
The Final Sacrifice and Prince of Space are my favorite episodes.

Sorry for OT

Damn, straight MST3K was awesome and nothing says sexy like Joe Don Baker and Baby Oil. I love that show. Hell, me and my fiancee reference it almost every day.

BART FARGO FTW!

FtsH

islewarrior said:

nice, without gamespot's review MGS4's average score can stay higher, which makes me happy.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Oh god I socialized with KojiPro guys. I'm biased forever.

It's odd they mention the socialization thing as that's exactly what happens at every press event.

De-mon

traveler said:
!!!!!!!!!!

Please tell me that was a Freudian slip?

It show
Raging Raven battle ending scene and the japanese model, like the Courage is Solid video with the other girl.

Edit:

img5044xp3.jpg

Bulla564

Banned
LOL Gamespot suddenly feels the urge to be umbiased and objective, and not be courted by publishers...

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Give me a fucking break.

DarkKyo

Lion Heart said:
Ugh. Fuck you EBGames and your shitty employees. Apparently they are not having a midnight launch. I will cancel my preorder in a heartbeat if anyone can confirm if Bestbuy or Futureshop is doing it? Pathetic. I just lost 12 hours of possible playtime.

Ugh, get over it. Unless you can't play for like a week after those first twelve hours or something, stop bitching and sleep that night, your copy will be ready by morning.

jett

D-Member
Oh man why did I take a glance at the soundtrack list. I didn't read anything 100% spoilerish, but one track title could be, as it bears resemblance to a scene in MGS2. WHY GOD WHY

Then again it could be nothing. I must repress this knowledge somehow.

Dechaios said:
Ugh, get over it. Unless you can't play for like a week after those first twelve hours or something, stop bitching and sleep that night, your copy will be ready by morning.

Actually, I dont like playing in the daytime so i would be waiting till night, its more like 20 hours, but thanks for understanding.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
jett said:
Then again it could be nothing. I must repress this knowledge somehow.

As far as I know, theres no way to repress it. Its actually worse to put forth effort in trying to repress it simply because spoilers are like a jagged knife, you try to pull it out and it just ingrains itself and tears away at your body.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
BlueTsunami said:
As far as I know, theres no way to repress it. Its actually worse to put forth effort in trying to repress it simply because spoilers are like a jagged knife, you try to pull it out and it just ingrains itself and tears away at your body.
That's why I think spoilers ,at this point, should be frowned upon. The game isn't even out, we have no way to talk about it.

Ploid 3.0

Ephemeris said:
I want to highlight that so bad De-mon. But I will be strong..

For those NYC bound next week, check it out. Much thanks to BruceLeeRoy for the helping hand.

The spoiler was just describing the video. The only thing that could be a spoiler is the name of one of the beauties, and the fact that there is a battle between you and that beauty.

jett

D-Member
BlueTsunami said:

nwrb.jpg

Ploid 3.0

BlueTsunami said:

Best description of a spoiler ever. The more I try to forget, the more I end up focusing on it in an attempt to block it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom