• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiddyBop

i almost came on myself at the end of that fox news bit when they showed the two metal gears about to battle with the classic mgs theme playing in the background. please,someone tell me the theme is still in the game and hideo has just been hiding it from us because the composer did some fuck awesome mix of it for the final battle.

Dave1988

SamuraiX- said:
NEW WEAPON CUSTOMIZATION VIDEO

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/879/879291p1.html

As far as spoilers go, there are some gameplay tidbits, but they only show sections of the Middle Eastern locale and all are areas we've seen so far. Most of the areas I can recognize are simply from part of the Midtown Maelstrom map from the MGO Beta. It's pretty clean. The weapon customization looks absolutely off the hook. :D

SEX.

Lakitu

st5fu
dabookerman said:
Probably me ;p

I was shitting myself, completely, clicked buy it now without thinking, then for some fucked reason, I couldnt remember my paypal password. How arse. And i had to pay instantly. I almost had a heart attack.

Well, fair's fair, I couldn't remember my ebay password so it was too late anyway. Hope you enjoy the game! *grinds teeth*

I loved weapon customization in COD4 and it looks like MGS4 is taking it one step further. I can't wait to get my hands on a M14 and M60 again, MGS style.

zoukka

It was pretty cool. I know a friend who will die in front of that shit :lol (a gun fanatic)

But in that video it was pretty clear MGS4 is not the most impressive game visually :/ Not that it matters really, but you can definately understand Edges complaints about PS2-level models and such.

dabookerman said:
Hope I get the game lol.
This is just too good to be true x_x
Well thats really awesome. I'm actually happy one of us gets to play it early. Better than some gamefaqs douche :lol

OH WHO AM I KIDDING I HATE YOUR GUTS, A POX ON YOU AND YOUR CHILDREN'S CHILDREN

Dante

SamuraiX- said:

As far as spoilers go, there are some gameplay tidbits, but they only show sections of the Middle Eastern locale and all are areas we've seen so far. Most of the areas I can recognize are simply from part of the Midtown Maelstrom map from the MGO Beta. It's pretty clean. The weapon customization looks absolutely off the hook. :D

Holy Fukkin Shit that's HOT :O

SamuraiX-

zoukka said:
It was pretty cool. I know a friend who will die in front of that shit :lol (a gun fanatic)

But in that video it was pretty clear MGS4 is not the most impressive game visually :/ Not that it matters really, but you can definately understand Edges complaints about PS2-level models and such.

I think the guns actually look very impressive in this game. A fully customized M4 in MGO was truly something you could drool over. EDGE was probably referring to areas that have textures somewhat stretched out.

Anyway, to say MGS4 isn't impressive visually is just so wrong. Unless you're examining every little texture in the game, MGS4 is no doubt one of the most beautiful games this generation when everything is running in a fluid motion.

Jtrizzy

Rice-Eater said:
I loved weapon customization in COD4 and it looks like MGS4 is taking it one step further. I can't wait to get my hands on a M14 and M60 again, MGS style.

I loved COD4, but the customization in MGS4 is a lot more than one step further.

Yoboman

zoukka said:

No, I don't understand that at all. Are you joking?

Dever

Banned
This been posted? Just got this baby in the mail:

Pelaaja magazine #69: MGS4 10/10

ANd HOLY SHIT the mag came with the theatrical poster!! :eek: I don't know if it's a subscriber thing or not.

dmshaposv

Dever said:
ANd HOLY SHIT the mag came with the theatrical poster!! :eek: I don't know if it's a subscriber thing or not.

PLEASE SCAN IT ILL LOVE YOU FORVEVER

zoukka

No, I don't understand that at all. Are you joking?

Nope. The whole package is impressive and looks good enough for me (I'm not a graphix whore), but is no way near some other new games in technical point of view. Don't grip on this too tightly because I'm not saying MGS4 doesn't look good. I just understand the criticism pointed towards the character models and textures etc... the overall visual impact is so much more than those things.

This been posted? Just got this baby in the mail:

Pelaaja magazine #69: MGS4 10/10

HOLY SHIT glad I didn't cancel my order like I was going to! THERE IS A GOD!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
zoukka said:
I just understand the criticism pointed towards the character models and textures etc...
I can understand complaints about some of the texturing, but the game has top tier character models that are hardly matched or exceeded by anything else. Maybe by 2-3 games out there, but that's it. Scenery modeling is outstanding as well.

zoukka

Marconelly said:
I can understand complaints about some of the texturing, but the game has top tier character models that are hardly matched or exceeded by anything else. Maybe by 2-3 games out there, but that's it. Scenery modeling is outstanding as well.

Are you talking about the in game models or cut-scene models??

38.jpg

They're the same.

WAT!

zoukka said:

But in that video it was pretty clear MGS4 is not the most impressive game visually :/ Not that it matters really, but you can definitely understand Edges complaints about PS2-level models and such.

dude are you serious. the graphics in this game will be shock and awe. head over to the konami website you can actually experience some in game sequences. then come tell us how ps2 like the graphics are.

IGN Australia gave it a 9.5

10 Presentation
Thoughtfully designed menus, detailed information, deep options and the look and feel of a game that knows it's important.
10 Graphics
This game hands a cigarette and blindfold to just about everything that has come before it.
10 Sound
Consistently excellent score, voice acting and environmental sound effects. The final mix is utterly absorbing, cleverly implemented and almost as impressive as the visuals.
9.5 Gameplay
Evolutionary Metal Gear - and that's a very good thing. There are niggles here and there - it's not perfect - but it's very polished and engrossing.
8.5 Lasting Appeal
Metal Gear Online or not, we came for the single-player game. We got just enough to balance out the cutscenes. There is definite replayability to be had, if you're passionate.
Incredible

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/879/879429p1.html

DieH@rd

Banned
SamuraiX- said:

FAP FAP FAP FAP
FAP FAP FAP FAP
FAP FAP FAP FAP
FAP FAP FAP FAP

zoukka

Dante said:
And....That's supposed to look better? :lol

Better than the soldiers. By far.

Tho Snake looks pretty damn detailed #_#

EDIT: Actually pretty FUCKING detailed wtf!? Remember that close up image of him and Colonel... like THAT detailed...

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is the single most visually impressive game of this or any previous generation. It sets new standards in animation, acting and digital performance that really draws a defining line in the sand for all future games with cinematic ambitions. The bar has been raised.

Oh shit.

SamuraiX-

IGN Australia Review said:
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is the single most visually impressive game of this or any previous generation. It sets new standards in animation, acting and digital performance that really draws a defining line in the sand for all future games with cinematic ambitions. The bar has been raised.

Yum. :D

FabCam

The character models are the best bit about MGS, they look superb. The animation and shere detail on each body is incredible.

Yoboman

zoukka said:
Are you talking about the in game models or cut-scene models??

38.jpg

WAT!
That picture is incredibly old. Both Snake and NPC's modelling has change significantly (same for the lighting and texturing and everything else)

01050148.jpg

mgs30.jpg

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20080521004505816.jpg

zoukka

@ Yoboman

Well if those even slightly represent the ingame models then I'll eat my words happily.

A little spoilerific that motorcycle image was though :(

bigswords

zoukka said:

Ok for part 1, I agree it depends on taste but everything animates very well and character models do look good and detailed.

Part 2; no... there is a ton of difference between the PS2 level and whatever we have seen on MGS4

Yoboman

zoukka said:
@ Yoboman

Well if those even slightly represent the ingame models then I'll eat my words happily.

As many have said, in-game and cutscene models are identical. So you'll be munching on many a word :)

And sorry, it's right out of one of the trailers though, so it's nothing too bad

zoukka said:
@ Yoboman

MGS games use in-game assets for the cutscens always. What you get in the cutscenes, you get in-game. Do you not remember anything from the previous MGS games?

zoukka said:

here is your ps2 graphics and textures taken from the ign au review

Metal Gear Solid 4 is visual, cinematic, thematic perfection. In many ways, it's actually easier to review the game by the standards and tennents of filmmaking than by traditional game elements. If we're being honest with ourselves as well as you, we have to admit that, while the series continues to improve its gameplay incrementally, the real attraction for the series has been it's visual value and emotional impact.

Old Snake, old friends, new enemies and a satisying conclusion to the 'Solid' series.
Once again, as we mentioned towards the beginning, MGS4 is a significant milestone for gaming from a cinematic standpoint. With the exception of one half of one act in the game, the world Kojima's art department has woven is supremely detailed and thorough. Every element of the design, from the staggering facial detail, lip synching and motion capture through to incidental details - imperfections and smudges on the in-game camera lens, fabric movement effects, simulated teardrops and wet hair, some integrated live-action video moments, all manner of blooming, depth-of-field, reflections, refractions and other effects – combine to create the most rounded and impressive visual masterpiece the game world has known. Incredible, in a word.

zoukka

BlockBastard said:
MGS games use in-game assets for the cutscens always. What you get in the cutscenes, you get in-game. Do you not remember anything from the previous MGS games?

Snake Eater definately didn't use the exact same models ingame and in cut-scenes. At least for Snake. I've played that game six (6) times through and never skipped a scene/conversation

This confusion in my part has to do with me being in media blackout and only seeing older footage of the game. It's just that it's not very logical to use the same models in gameplay and cinematics. I'm still pretty sure there are some extra polygons in that motorcycle image. Key details are the same but it looks better to me than gameplay images posted in here?

Yoboman

zoukka said:
Snake Eater definately didn't use the exact same models ingame and in cut-scenes. At least for Snake. I've played that game six (6) times through and never skipped a scene/conversation

This confusion in my part has to do with me being in media blackout and only seeing older footage of the game. It's just that it's not very logical to use the same models in gameplay and cinematics. I'm still pretty sure there are some extra polygons in that motorcycle image. Key details are the same but it looks better to me than gameplay images posted in here?
Don't confuse the extra animation added to cutscene models for being more polygons. They're the same. For example in that video nelsonroyale posted above - they couldn't do such smooth cutscene to gameplay transitions if it wasn't the same model

Yoboman said:
- they couldn't do such smooth cutscene to gameplay transitions if it wasn't the same model

Forgot about the seamless transitions from cutscenes to gameplay this time 'round. That's a major improvement for me.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
IGN Australia said:
8.5 Lasting Appeal
Metal Gear Online or not, we came for the single-player game. We got just enough to balance out the cutscenes. There is definite replayability to be had, if you're passionate.
Thats a crap reason to give the lasting appeal 8.5 Its like they're saying "well, there is an online mode, but we wont take that into account"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom