• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

Carlisle

God I can't wait for tonight when this hits PSN. Gonna have to do the old TV display + DS3 on this badboy asap.

I've misread the thread title twice now as Peace Wanker. I need more sleep. But not tonight, not tonight :lol

duckroll

Vamphuntr said:
What is the point of getting a new codename?? Is it only for bragging rights or does it affect the morale of your guys?

You unlock codenames based on your achievements and play style, like in any previous MGS game. The codename you have equipped will be the one that other players see when you play them in co-op.

Vamphuntr

duckroll said:
You unlock codenames based on your achievements and play style, like in any previous MGS game. The codename you have equipped will be the one that other players see when you play them in co-op.

So it's only for coop? Thanks duckroll.

thefil

Salaadin said:
Is the MK22 necessary at all? I want my first run to be as stealthy but as gun free as possible.

Definitely not. As the game went on, I - excluding bosses and one other mission - pretty much used only empty magazines, [readable] magazines, smoke grenades, the taser and CQC. Oh, I did use the Mk22 to hold people up, though.

Nonlethal FTW.

*edit* come to think of it, maybe that's why I never had issues with the silencer...

duckroll

Salaadin said:
Is the MK22 necessary at all? I want my first run to be as stealthy but as gun free as possible.

It's like any other MGS game, you don't have to use it if you don't WANT to, but it makes the game really easy if you do.

thefil said:
Definitely not. As the game went on, I - excluding bosses and one other mission - pretty much used only empty magazines, [readable] magazines, smoke grenades, the taser and CQC. Oh, I did use the Mk22 to hold people up, though.

Nonlethal FTW.

*edit* come to think of it, maybe that's why I never had issues with the silencer...

Why use the Mk22 to hold people up? You should have just unlocked the Banana from Extra Ops and used that! :lol

Salaadin

thefil said:

Nonlethal FTW.

Perfect. Can you buy/procure empty magazines easily without having to....empty magazines?

lopes16

Neo Member
Salaadin said:
Except from the bosses, tanks and helis I think you prety much can complete the story without a single bullet fired.

thefil

Salaadin said:
Perfect. Can you buy/procure empty magazines easily without having to....empty magazines?

No, but I guess I got enough of them from boss fights? I never had an issue with supply.

duckroll said:
Why use the Mk22 to hold people up? You should have just unlocked the Banana from Extra Ops and used that! :lol

I did not know this existed. I appreciate the heads up.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
autobzooty said:
If I had my way, it would have been up at midnight. You know, when the game comes out?

Very frustrating that people have had the game shipped to them from Amazon before Sony can be bothered to put it up on PSN.

I agree. But that's the way of SCEA. They can't have a set update time like MS can for XBL updates.

Also the Mk22 is awesome for Fultoning people from a distance. Pop everyone. Wait a few minutes, Fulton fulton fulton.

Only problem is the ammo. But if it's like Port Ops you should be able to get more than enough Mk22 ammo from your team.

Deadly

Vamphuntr said:
What is the point of getting a new codename?? Is it only for bragging rights or does it affect the morale of your guys?
I think you gain 500 heroism when you gain the codename.
EDIT:nvm guess not.

RavenFox

Banned
Sallokin said:
Woooooo managed to snag a collector's edition from a gamestop like 20 miles from me lol. Worth the trip.
Awesome. I will have mine by way of UPS tomorrow.
duckroll said:
lol so much win

Nachkebia

Banned
I really want to play peacewalker but when I remember playing other metal gears psp, my hands and head hurt simultaneously :lol

Cartman86

Banned
lopes16 said:
Not gona fit, buy a 4 Gb card if you can, if not buy the umd version.

Damn now I have to leave the house. I do like having cases though. I Was just starting to wonder if I should buy everything digitally now so when PSP2 comes out (and it's hopefully BC) I can play my PSP1 games on it. This is the shit that just drives me crazy.

SaitoH

bj5w6p.jpg

Game picked up ... now the fun of getting it to work on CFW. I'm looking up fixes and such, but any help would be appreciated?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Cartman86 said:
Damn now I have to leave the house. I do like having cases though. I Was just starting to wonder if I should buy everything digitally now so when PSP2 comes out (and it's hopefully BC) I can play my PSP1 games on it. This is the shit that just drives me crazy.

For the same price and trouble, you could get an 8 gig stick, rip your UMD's to it and buy PW and have room left over.

4+gig stick is the way to go, IMO.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
ExtraKr1spy said:
Ripping the UMD right now to see if it'll work on my Phat with the 6.20 prx plug-in. Wouldn't work with UMD so I hope it works when loaded from the memory stick

edit: No go on running from memory stick with 6.20 prx.

Anyone else using the Monster Hunter Claw method for the action controls?

It's playable on all CFW PSPs. You just have to use the right patching methods. Being a GEN-D3 user, I also have to run the "MGS Fix" app before and after I play the game to prevent freezing.

I love my CFW 2000, but I am seriously considering going out and buying a new PSP 3000 to play Peace Walker with a better screen.

Vamphuntr

Salaadin said:
That bandanna is nice. Damn GameStop exclusives. I really want one.

The fabric feel really cheap when you touch it though.

Yay my D and E rank idiots finally created something awesome :O

thefil

So, thanks to the 1UP review I just found out that
I haven't actually finished the game

I was planning to go back tonight anyway and do Extra Ops, but now I'm itching to play more.

Branson

Just bought it but cant play it yet. Curiously though what are the language options in the English version besides..well English lol.

mjc

So the artbook in the LE is the only extra right? I heard that its softcover and only 40ish pages. What a letdown.

Fuckers at gamestop told me I couldn't have a bandana 'cause it was only for those that reserved the standard edition of the game. I bought a Big Boss pack at one Gamestop and got no bandana, and bought the LE of the game at another Gamestop and was shot down for a bandana there as well. WTF! Was I BS'd?

Minamu

Lyte Edge said:
It's playable on all CFW PSPs. You just have to use the right patching methods. Being a GEN-D3 user, I also have to run the "MGS Fix" app before and after I play the game to prevent freezing.

I love my CFW 2000, but I am seriously considering going out and buying a new PSP 3000 to play Peace Walker with a better screen.
You have to do that every time? :S I read something about it being dangerous because it rewrites the entire NAND thing every time, basically asking for a bricking, but I dunno how much truth there is in that.

SoulPlaya said:
OK, let me make sure I got this understood. If I want to play Peace Walker on Gen-D3, I have to rip the game from the UMD, then put MGSFix in the game folder for me to play through Mission 1. Then, I have to take out MGSFix, and put in MGSNever for the rest of the game? I just put MGSFix/MGSNever in the GAME Folder? I don't have to do anything else? Thanks for any help.

your right except you need to patch your iso (decrypted) also not sure but you might need the MGSFix for other parts in the game too...

does anyone have any tips for the 1st boss? the 'shooter' controls are really frustrating (aiming with face buttons)...other than that i love the game...

Ephemeris

nolookjones said:
your right except you need to patch your iso (decrypted) also not sure but you might need the MGSFix for other parts in the game too...

does anyone have any tips for the 1st boss? the 'shooter' controls are really frustrating (aiming with face buttons)...other than that i love the game...

Hide, pick off the cronies. Did it with no kills, and it actually ended pretty dramatically.

1 Bullet left in the MK22, one more shot needed on the Boss. Talk about nerve wracking. Not minding the shooter scheme. Works pretty well. Only thing is that I can't figure out how to move while on the wall.. it's pretty awkward.

MortalMonkey said:
Fuckers at gamestop told me I couldn't have a bandana 'cause it was only for those that reserved the standard edition of the game. I bought a Big Boss pack at one Gamestop and got no bandana, and bought the LE of the game at another Gamestop and was shot down for a bandana there as well. WTF! Was I BS'd?

I don't know about the Big Boss bundle, but the bandana was definitely listed as a preorder bonus on the website for the LE.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ephemeris said:
Hide, pick off the cronies. Did it with no kills, and it actually ended pretty dramatically.

1 Bullet left in the MK22, one more shot needed on the Boss. Talk about nerve wracking. Not minding the shooter scheme. Works pretty well. Only thing is that I can't figure out how to move while on the wall.. it's pretty awkward.
You can't. That's the only post-MGS3 change I don't understand. You used to just walk up to a wall and press against it...now it's context sensitive. It reduces the speed of wall leaning and makes it kinda useless honestly.

duckroll

Y2Kev said:
You can't. That's the only post-MGS3 change I don't understand. You used to just walk up to a wall and press against it...now it's context sensitive. It reduces the speed of wall leaning and makes it kinda useless honestly.

The only reason wall leaning is even in, is for the marking system. Otherwise yeah, it's totally gimped and kinda useless.

Ephemeris

Y2Kev said:
Damn. And I'd have to agree.

Bebpo

Banned
Kind of lame that the Big Boss pack doesn't even come with a PSP strap or screen wiper cloth like the original PSP-1000 did.

Otherwise digging the 3000 once I turned the color scheme to normal. Feels like a lighter, smaller, better controlling, no ghosting, nice refresh rate PSP-1000. It's not a huge difference from the 1000, but it's nice slight improvement. Peace Walker Camo design is good.

Game is up on US PSN right now

You have to do a search to find it though. Just search "peace" and it should appear. 140 minutes left of downloading! Hooray!

Happy sneaking!

depward

It's up via search for US PSN Store. Search "Metal Gear Solid" and it's about the fifth result. 1408 MB.

*edit* damn BARELY beaten! :lol

d0c_zaius

autobzooty said:
Game is up on US PSN right now

You have to do a search to find it though. Just search "peace" and it should appear. 140 minutes left of downloading! Hooray!

Happy sneaking!

Downloading it now. YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY:D

Top Bottom