• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

Takao

Banned
Just bought it, I know the PSN servers are going to be reamed, so as to not look for a 3 hour download, I'll download it at 12AM or something.

Varth

I just had one of the creepiest gaming moments ever.

Just A ranked a date with an underage, traumatised girl by flattering her, making her follow me and then getting down with her in a love box.

Bitch didn't even give me an S rank, wft? :p

My female colleague played the "mission" a bit and laughed all the way.

Got it this morning and have played up to the part where you
rescue Chico

Holy shit. This game is amazing. Totally deserving of the name MGS5 so far.

Reminds me why MGS3 is my favorite Metal Gear, too. I love self-contained Metal Gear stories.

54-46!

Fuck! they've banned my credit card from the US store since the last time I used it :lol I'll have to use someone elses tomorrow.. I'm not waiting till the european release.

Goddam..

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Downloading now. Thank god I went with my gut and bought a $50 card. Took $40 of it in a blink. :(

Forgotten how expensive new PSP games are compared to the DS. :/

seady

Walked into Gamestop today right at opening without a preorder and grabbed (I think) the only Big Boss Bundle left. They have two more but those are for preorders. I also asked for the Collector's Edition and he said they don't have any left for those didn't preorder.

As a backup plan I did anticipating the release of this game, I preordered through Barnes & Noble website few days ago after Gamestop website took off the Big Boss Bundle and Collector's Edition. And today it says it shipped.
Surprisingly they are still on B&N website now for purchase. So a head up to anyone who is interested.

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?WRD=metal+gear

rainking187 said:
I don't know about the Big Boss bundle, but the bandanna was definitely listed as a pre-order bonus on the website for the LE.

Damn! I just called and was told that if I could show 'em a print out showing the bandanna as an incentive for pre-ordering the LE game, that they'd give me a bandanna.

So, anyone have a screen cap of the page, lol? How the heck am I gonna get a print out since it's no longer on the site!

Just finished it.

The final stages of the game gave me chills down my spine. Just like a fine Metal Gear does.

All I can say it's.... "Kojima Kaminandesu"

I have one question for those who finished the game:

What about chapter five?Beyond heavens gate?

Also, quite an enigmatic sentence does the IA says:

"The solitary fox chases the one eyed foxhound"

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So how does the DD install work?

You copy the entire game to your memory stick, and then have to run the game and run the installer for the codecs? So you need 1.4 gig free, plus another 800 meg to get the codecs? Or can you just play the 1.4 gig file straight out?

FlyinJ said:
So how does the DD install work?

You copy the entire game to your memory stick, and then have to run the game and run the installer for the codecs? So you need 1.4 gig free, plus another 800 meg to get the codecs? Or can you just play the 1.4 gig file straight out?

You need the download and the install separately, so over 2 gigs in total for everything.

Takao

Banned
autobzooty said:
You bastard, I started it like 25 minutes ago and I have 90 minutes left. :(

Thing is, if some one calls my house before the download is complete, I have to start all over again...

EDIT- I thought those with the DD verison only needed to do the 300MB install for the audio codecs, and that the 800MB install is for quicker load times + audio codecs?

TheSeks

Ridley327 said:
Does the PSN version work just fine with a CFW PSP?

Minus the freezing issue that is the same for the UMD version, AFAIK yes. I can't say, 30% on my download. :/

Ridley327

They found out you could downgrade to any firmware prior to 5.50 D3 to skip the problem, so that sounds A-OK with me. Off to download, then!.

I can't for the life of me get connected to PSN on my PSP today (want to download the stupid shirt DLC). I'm getting the DNS error despite the fact that nothing else is having any problems, including my PS3, and I've tried various settings to no avail.

JohngPR

That sucks Knux. :(

I'm going to feverishly play through the rest of MGS3 so I can get started with PW. I'm at the part where you have to plant the C4 on the Shagohod's gas tanks....how far away am I from beating it? I beat it once already but it was like 5 years ago. LOL

lopes16

Neo Member
JohngPR said:
That sucks Knux. :(

I'm going to feverishly play through the rest of MGS3 so I can get started with PW. I'm at the part where you have to plant the C4 on the Shagohod's gas tanks....how far away am I from beating it? I beat it once already but it was like 5 years ago. LOL
You are close to the end.

JohngPR

Thanks Lopes. :)

Booting it up now. BTW, I think I loved playing MGS3 this time around even more. Subsistence really is the way to play this game (played the original sans third person camera the first time around).

seady

Should I play Portable Ops before playing this game?
Also, what is the differences between Portable Ops and Portable Ops Plus?

TheSeks

JohngPR said:
Thanks Lopes. :)

Booting it up now. BTW, I think I loved playing MGS3 this time around even more. Subsistence really is the way to play this game (played the original sans third person camera the first time around).

Yeah, Vanilla Snake Eater proves the MGS1/2 camera just doesn't work in jungle environments or 1960's non-radar gameplay.

Snaku

Banned
Decided to hop off the dead CFW train and get back on OFW. Just finished installing the game, but now I've gotta go have dinner with the family.

ONORE DECADE!! >:/

Knux-Future said:
Game came today......no one was home...UPS note.

FML

I fucking hate when that happens. :(

seady said:
Should I play Portable Ops before playing this game?
Also, what is the differences between Portable Ops and Portable Ops Plus?

Portable Ops is probably not necessary to play Peace Walker, but it might be worth your time anyways. The story ain't half bad.

I'm not sure what the differences between PO and PO+ are, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with the multiplayer. PO+ doesn't have the full single player campaign, iirc, so if you're playing for the first time, the original is the one you want.

Bebpo

Banned
New member MGS family member is very nice indeed (^_^)

psp01.jpg

mgscollect02.jpg

TheSeks

autobzooty said:
Portable Ops is probably not necessary to play Peace Walker, but it might be worth your time anyways. The story ain't half bad.

I'm not sure what the differences between PO and PO+ are, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with the multiplayer. PO+ doesn't have the full single player campaign, iirc, so if you're playing for the first time, the original is the one you want.

PO+ is an expansion of MPO's online mode. It has no singleplayer story. Skip it unless you want to see the Metal Gear Solid 1 Rex Hanger in PSP graphics.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Knux-Future said:
Game came today......no one was home...UPS note.

FML
You're no hero...just an old killer hired to do some wetwork....who was away and missed his package

PW acts like PO kinda didn't exist. I mean there are no direct references to it that I've encountered so far. They do consistently reference the events of MGS3, but PO is kinda ignored. Which is kinda good I guess. :)

Bebpo, no GUNMETAL ps3? :D

barnone

Finished the tutorial, and I already love the enhancements over the demo. However, I am currently waiting to play co op with my buddy. How do cutscenes work when you have 2+ players?

Ridley327

Anony said:
the only MGS game i played is the ps1 verison

where is peace walker in the timeline

10 years after MGS3 but well, well before the events of MG1.

The timeline, thus far, goes as such:

MGS3 -> MGS:pO/MGS:pW -> MG1 -> MG2 -> MGS1 -> MGS2 -> MGS4

We're still not sure where Rising will fit into everything, but it's speculated as taking place between MGS2 and MGS4.

TheSeks

Ridley327 said:
10 years after MGS3 but well, well before the events of MG1.

1965-1967 MGS3
(Port Ops is here, but it retcons Grey Fox, so I don't consider it part of the timeline and Kojima didn't direct it so fuck it)
1970 MGS5: PW
1995 MG1
1998 MG2:SS
2005 MGS1
2007 MGS2
2009 MGS4

seady

autobzooty said:

Thanks! So PO+ is just a barebone add on. I will go with PO instead.

TheSeks said:
1965-1967 MGS3
(Port Ops is here, but it retcons Grey Fox, so I don't consider it part of the timeline and Kojima didn't direct it so fuck it)
1970 MGS5: PW
1995 MG1
1998 MG2:SS
2005 MGS1
2007 MGS2
2009 MGS4

I'm pretty sure most of those dates are wrong.

edit:
2007-2009

Ridley327

Anony said:
so i guess wont really be missing anything if i play this then

About the only thing you'll miss out on is Naked Snake/Big Boss's motivation for starting MSF (the prototype Outer Heaven) since the ending of MGS3 pushes him in that direction in the first place.

PW acts like PO kinda didn't exist. I mean there are no direct references to it that I've encountered so far. They do consistently reference the events of MGS3, but PO is kinda ignored. Which is kinda good I guess. :)

Isn't there a mention of San Hieronymo (location of Portable Ops?) in an early convo with Miller? Something like the new base beats what they had in San Hieronymo...Thought I saw that in some footage, haven't started playing yet though. Otherwise there probably isn't much mention of it. PW seems to be a second but more definitive attempt at what Kojima wanted for PO.

Anony said:
so i guess wont really be missing anything if i play this then

Definitely not true. Kojima has said that he expects Peace Walker to be many people's first MGS game and has probably designed the storytelling to be okay with that, but Peace Walker's story specifically fills in holes and answers questions relevant to the entire series. I recommend at least playing MGS3 before Peace Walker in order to fully appreciate the game, but you'll probably at least understand the flow of events, if not the nuances.

You should play MGS3 anyways though because it's awesome.

Vamphuntr

autobzooty said:
Definitely not true. Kojima has said that he expects Peace Walker to be many people's first MGS game and has probably designed the storytelling to be okay with that, but Peace Walker's story specifically fills in holes and answers questions relevant to the entire series. I recommend at least playing MGS3 before Peace Walker in order to fully appreciate the game, but you'll probably at least understand the flow of events, if not the nuances.

You should play MGS3 anyways though because it's awesome.

Even the prologue has to do with MGS 3...

TheSeks

micster said:
MGS2 was 2007 and 2009, MGS4 was 2014.

Yeah, I'm really fuzzy on the dates. I just know how the time line goes. :lol

Top Bottom