• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

Deadly

In extra op 103 or heck any other vehicle boss mission, have you guys noticed the additional waves or the leader only comes out when the units officially die or are fultoned? I CQC'd everyone but since they're only knocked out they eventually come out and I don't want to waste my time using fulton since they suck. I reduced the damn thing to it's last 8% while two guys were knocked out and kept waiting but nothing happened. When I decided to try and fulton them the leader finally popped out.

I don't know who consults with Kojima on these 3 Big Boss games, but holy shit. I'm not getting on the MGS4 hate train, but the difference in how the stories are told are just night and day. The imagery and various parts of the story in PW that tie into other parts of the series is just fantastic.

This really takes everything good about MGS3 and MPO and turns it up to 11.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Is it necessary to play Portable Ops before playing this? PO is the only MGS I haven't played.

Vamphuntr

Deadly said:
In extra op 103 or heck any other vehicle boss mission, have you guys noticed the additional waves or the leader only comes out when the units officially die or are fultoned? I CQC'd everyone but since they're only knocked out they eventually come out and I don't want to waste my time using fulton since they suck. I reduced the damn thing to it's last 8% while two guys were knocked out and kept waiting but nothing happened. When I decided to try and fulton them the leader finally popped out.

If you are stuck alone, you will have to kill them all. In 5 skulls vehicle missions there are sometime a total of 35+ soldiers coming. Shoot them with a good rifle 3 time in the head. First two shots will make them drop their helmet, last one will kill them.

JohngPR

soldat7 said:
Just do what I did and watch the cutscenes. They're pretty good, actually.

That's the same thing I did. LOL

Although I did find that those guy's cutscenes lacks some of the context in between the scenes, but nothing you couldn't fill in.

As much as I love all the MGS games, PO is a hard one to play.

neptunes

KTallguy said:
Fuck the Peace Walker cutscenes are like so much better. Amazing.

You can play the game SP all you want, you'll be fine.
You're telling me, it's a night and day difference, I love the way the made all of the cutscenes 3D.

soldat7

KTallguy said:
Fuck the Peace Walker cutscenes are like so much better. Amazing.

The few I've seen thus far (I'm only up to when
Chico gets kidnapped
) have been cool. I actually like how some of them are interactive.

Vamphuntr

KTallguy said:

Some extra ops are extremly difficult to do alone though. It requires a lot of grinding. 91,102, 98 and 75 were extremly challenging for me. The 113+ ones are also difficult to do alone.

soldat7

Vamphuntr said:
Some extra ops are extremly difficult to do alone though. It requires a lot of grinding. 91,102, 98 and 75 were extremly challenging for me. The 113+ ones are also difficult to do alone.

Hm...well, I'm generally not a completionist, so I'll probably be fine not finishing some of them. My main concern right now is the controls. It's taking me forever to get used to them.

Hey all, I caught a bit of Hideo Kojima and crew live casting from their E3 hotel room tonight. They were answering some questions from chat. Unfortunately it didn't last long, but it was pretty surreal to see such a legendary game developer in a hotel room streaming on the internet.

I tried to ask questions about the future of the MGS franchise and Zone of the Enders, but Kojima didn't bite. :lol

Anyways, here is the link

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mgspw-ワールドツアー-あれこれ

They mention they will stream again live from their hotel room tomorrow night. I caught it around 11:30pm PST.

Srider

Banned
Vamphuntr said:
If you are stuck alone, you will have to kill them all. In 5 skulls vehicle missions there are sometime a total of 35+ soldiers coming. Shoot them with a good rifle 3 time in the head. First two shots will make them drop their helmet, last one will kill them.

With fulton mine and launcher it is possible to beat it without killing anyone.

Sniper rifles with AP rounds can head shot guys with helmets in 1 shot.

How come when I look at my Mother Base Data screen, the command center is the only facility that seems to have leveled up? It's sitting at rank 5 while everything else is at rank 0. How do I fix this and what would I gain from fixing it?

Also, my R&D team just hit 50/50 people. Is there a way to raise the cap, or do I have no choice but to fire people? I really don't want to do that unless I have no other choice...I'd make a terrible business CEO. :lol

KTallguy

Banned
You have to fire the fuck out of people.

Get used to hearing "YOU'RE FIRED" all the damn time.

If it makes you feel any better, imagine that you are pushing them overboard.

Edit:

No way to increase the cap.

autobzooty said:
Also, my R&D team just hit 50/50 people. Is there a way to raise the cap, or do I have no choice but to fire people? I really don't want to do that unless I have no other choice...I'd make a terrible business CEO. :lol
Yeah, I have this problem too, but what I did was replacing the soldiers that has low R&D level. I wonder if there is a way to raise the cap, too :/

btw, what's your R&D Level?

JWong

Banned
Oh my god this game is loooooooooooooooooong. Longer than I expected.

I really wish I had accessible friends to coop with. Some of the shit gets too long for one person.

Drac

That little trip in subway gave me the opportunity to "catch" around 40 new recruits A to S, love this feature. Almost maxed everything now :D. All that's left is about 10 vehicle missions, almost all helicopters. This game system cries for an add on, I want moar !

spookyfish

soldat7 said:
Hm...maybe...I bet it has a "Not for Resale" label on it. Can anyone confirm?

EDIT: Bah, I went ahead and ordered 2 copies. I'm a little concerned about the "item will ship when available" bit. These are coming from gamestop, who is supposedly sold out...

g35twinturbo bought it and says it's in a regular case (post is page before this one), so maybe ask him/her?

Also, I never received a "shipping confirmation" e-mail. I just checked the order yesterday a.m. and saw that it had indeed shipped and would be delivered the 15th, so check your order today and see what's what. It shipped pretty quick, too, so ... I'm thinkin' GS allocated a certain number for B&N, but that may be giving them too much credit.

mehdi_san

Drac said:
That little trip in subway gave me the opportunity to "catch" around 40 new recruits A to S, love this feature. Almost maxed everything now :D. All that's left is about 10 vehicle missions, almost all helicopters. This game system cries for an add on, I want moar !
How do you do this? Is it a feature that I need to unlock first?

I've just beat the game,
I saw the title "Chapter 5: Outer Heaven"
but then it moved to cast, last codec call and then to mother base. I thought there were about
main ops according to this thread, but i counted
, last one was the
peace walker final phase battle
. am i missing something?

Salaadin

Solid warrior said:
I've just beat the game,
I saw the title "Chapter 5: Outer Heaven"
but then it moved to cast, last codec call and then to mother base. I thought there were about
main ops according to this thread, but i counted
, last one was the
peace walker final phase battle
. am i missing something?

Start doing extra Ops. After a few, youll see.

Salaadin

Solid warrior said:
Is it mandatory to do extra ops? cuz I don't feel like playing them. :/

To complete chapter 5, yes.

They arent bad. Some of them are actually a lot of fun. You should have a decent sized list to pick from now. The "Fulton all enemies" ones are quick and easy.

Vek

Solid warrior said:
Is it mandatory to do extra ops? cuz I don't feel like playing them. :/
More specifically, you need to complete some more extra-ops for further story missions to appear, but the main thing is to complete ZEKE
Just the 4 main body parts and the rail gun is enough

tzare

how many chapters in this game¿?
Just into 3rd one, around 12 hours, the game started on the low side but it is really addictive once you feel comfortable with the controls. This mission based structure suits PSP really well. expanded missions, kind of deniable ops in SC Conviction would really be great in future MGS for home consoles.

Jigsaw said:
the stealth gameplay is sooo good but the bosses suck,it's frustrating as hell

i'm also finding the stealth to be awesome, & the combat in general to be more boring than frustrating (tho it's sometimes both). but i'm pretty sure that's how i've always felt about the series - i sorta clumsily brute force my way thru the combat to get to all the good stuff (& peace walker has a shitload of good stuff :) )...

Is anyone hyped to +10000 when some mission ends in "TO BE CONTINUED IN THE NEXT MISSION" fuck it just hype me enough to go "I WANT TO CONTINUE NOW!" :lol :lol

Great game, I just pushed my brother to play it :lol He started yesterday hopefully he will play it and we can play online in adhoc party :D

Salaadin

The combat gets frustrating because your limited in how much and what you can carry. That said, its great that they actually did limit us. Theres none of that one man army stuff you found in the previous games (MGS4 especially). I find myself utilizing CQC more and being more worried about stealth because if Im spotted, Im practically done for. And still, you can always add a hard hitting weapon onto your stealth build.

The bosses are fine imo. Theyre frantic and difficult without being overwhelming.

You can always grind and R&D for better stuff if you're finding the bosses too hard. The earlier bosses become pretty damn easy once you level up the Stinger.

Salaadin

Red Blaster said:
You can always grind and R&D for better stuff if you're finding the bosses too hard. The earlier bosses become pretty damn easy once you level up the Stinger.

Yeah. That thing starts taking one health bar off of Pupa with each missle to the AI pod. You can go in there wearing Battle Dress and 3 rocket launchers and take Pupa out with no rations used and no Supply markers. Its wonderful.

Drac

mehdi_san said:
How do you do this? Is it a feature that I need to unlock first?

You'll unlock the "recruit" feature as you progress in the story,
this let you as snake teach some new guys the hard way, after kicking their asses you get them !
You scan access point to get new recruits, only one time by MAC address so after you unlock that you can go hunt some wifi in your town :D

The bandanna makes vehicle missions so easy :lol I was really bored of those, I'm glad this speed up the process !

StuBurns

Banned
Quick question, not decided if I'm going to buy it when it hits the UK store yet, but I was wondering if you have to 'install' if you have the digital version as the data would already be on the flash thing?

tzare said:
how many chapters in this game¿?
Just into 3rd one, around 12 hours, the game started on the low side but it is really addictive once you feel comfortable with the controls. This mission based structure suits PSP really well. expanded missions, kind of deniable ops in SC Conviction would really be great in future MGS for home consoles.
5 chapters overall

StuBurns said:
Quick question, not decided if I'm going to buy it when it hits the UK store yet, but I was wondering if you have to 'install' if you have the digital version as the data would already be on the flash thing?
I have the digital version for my psp go. It asked for installing data. I think it uncompress this data onto the memory, not sure though. do install anyway.

Same as every Metal Gear game, I'm stuck at the....physical dexterity part. Same as some God of War bosses, I just can't mash that fast :/ Even holding it different ways just made it worse.

Red Blaster said:

how do you "grind" exactly? replay missions?

pretty sure i can s rank a few of these at this point

Phatcorns

Jigsaw said:
the stealth gameplay is sooo good but the bosses suck,it's frustrating as hell

they should have made it 1vs1 if you play solo,only in coop with the 2 dozen additional soldiers

anyway this game is criminally underrated,it is below portable ops on gamerankings,wtf?

I feel the same way but not that the bosses are frustrating, just that I'd rather be stealthing. I've had no problems with any of the bosses.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Salaadin said:
What do I need to do to get the Monster Hunter camos? Tranq them or S rank them?

S-rank. Which requires tranqing them with ~12mins.

GOOD LUCK!

Can you get enough parts to
start building Metal Gear ZEKE by fighting the Pupa over and over?

Also, when do you get
Sneaking and Heavy suits? I just beat the Pupa.

Tiktaalik

Anyone have any tips for beating the second boss?

With the first boss you could get by by killing all the guys and then killing the guy when he came out of the ATV. This time it seemed I didn't have that option. I tranq'd and fulton'd all the guards but the tank remained just a tank and my grenades didn't have a very strong affect. Will I have to truck my rocket launcher around with me?

Also how do you use the supply item to get new supplies? The game hinted that I should bring it with me but I couldn't figure out how to use it. :lol Nothing mentioned in the manual either.

Tiktaalik said:

With the first boss you could get by by killing all the guys and then killing the guy when he came out of the ATV. This time it seemed I didn't have that option. I tranq'd and fulton'd all the guards but the tank remained just a tank and my grenades didn't have a very strong affect. Will I have to truck my rocket launcher around with me?

Also how do you use the supply item to get new supplies? The game hinted that I should bring it with me but I couldn't figure out how to use it. :lol Nothing mentioned in the manual either.

I kept shooting with the M41A or something and throwing grenades at the tank, and eventually the boss will show up like the first tank

Salaadin

Tiktaalik said:

With the supply marker equipped, press and hold "L" then press "R". Snake will place it. Once it is placed, just press "R". Miller will tell you that a box is on its way and itll drop right where the marker was.

The thrown version works the same except instead of placing, you get the grenade throwing animation to throw the marker.

Top Bottom