• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

glaurung

OK, I've been getting into it a bit more, just met with my first MG boss fight.

A quick question: when do you get the
sneak suit
item or how?

glaurung said:
OK, I've been getting into it a bit more, just met with my first MG boss fight.

A quick question: when do you get the
sneak suit
item or how?

It gets unlocked in after a few more missions, or did for me. (If you mean PUPA and not the APC)

glaurung

OK, another question: I bought the UMD copy and I've been playing it for a while now.

If I were to buy the PSN downloadable version, would my save file still work?

Peff

It's unlocked after the second AI fight. And I don't know for sure, but there should be no reason why it shouldn't work since it's a dump, you even have to install the data.

Man, I know that you're damning yourself if you take this series TOO seriously, and I hate to be one of these overthinking fans, but there's quite a few massive leaps of disbelief in this series now. Musings/thoughts on the entire series ahead:

Big Boss works with Roy Campbell, and then Huey Emmerich in the 70s. Thirty years later in the Shadow Moses Incident, their children (Solid Snake, Meryl and Otacon) meet by pure chance in that crisis. Taking the assumption that Strangelove is Hal's mother, and remembering that Ocelot's parents were established in MGS3 as well, pretty much everyone's parents were tenuously connected in some way (what would Otacon think if he knew his mother had a lesbian crush on Ocelot's mother? :lol ). It's not really a criticism, but...goddamn this series is becoming complicated.

Secondly, nearly every main character in MGS3 goes bad or does morally questionable things at some point, with the exception of Eva, and Sokolov and The Boss. The Cobras themselves didn't do anything wrong at all - they were WWII heroes who were simply loyal to the end, to their leader. Para-Medic takes part in the LET project, and is responsible for the Cyborg Ninja too, so she does some bad shit. SIGINT is a good guy in his youth, but creates Rex and takes bribes from AT Security in his later years. Ocelot kills a ton of people, manipulates entire governments, assassinates the President in MGS2 and the CIA Director in PO, with the initial goal of forming the Patriots, and the later goal of bringing Big Boss back and ending Zero's hold over the world. He's like Syndrome from the Incredibles - the world's biggest fanboy gone off the rails. :D

Thirdly, technology leaps forward massively in the 70s! Giant AI weapons, Rex-quality Metal Gears, and a lot of stuff that we thought weren't invented until MGS1/MGS2's time actually existed a lot earlier. The Soliton Radar, the Railgun, the Radome, Gun Cyphers (kidnappers), and stealth technology all existing earlier than we previously thought. It's a far cry from MGS3's more primitive gadgetry.

I'm now wondering if some of PW's new characters are destined to show up in future Metal Gear Solids. Strangelove or Huey could easily take part in building the Patriots' AI for Zero, and characters like Paz (who could've survived) and Amanda and Chico could emerge later in the series, much like how Eva did.

I'd also like to see more characters from the retro games introduced in the build-up to the (very inevitable, I feel) remakes of both. We've already had Frank Jaeger and Miller (the latter was an amazing character in PW). I also hope Dr Pettrovich Madnar is introduced in Metal Gear Solid Rising. I'm hoping at some point we'll get a late-80s/early 90s MGS, with Big Boss meeting Sniper Wolf or Naomi Hunter and bringing them back to the states, FOXHOUND being established, MOAR Gray Fox etc.

And speaking of Gray Fox, I'm sure they could do a future Rising game all about him. :)

glaurung said:
OK, another question: I bought the UMD copy and I've been playing it for a while now.

If I were to buy the PSN downloadable version, would my save file still work?

yes it should work without problems...

Itchy//Tasty said:

Also Miller should be in his mid 60s in MGS1, certainly didn't look/sound that old from what I remember. I guess Kojima's gonna have eventually to remake MGS1 to make that game up-to-date with all the retcons :lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Finished the last main story last night.

Paz :(

I don't really like how they
tied Zero/MGS4 raping MGS3's cast of characters up the ass into "the Patroits" plotpoint, oh and Paz working for Zero/Cipher all this time and she only suddenly turns in the last twenty minutes of the game. WTF?
and
Big Boss/Outer Heaven uprising only getting a mention at the end (fast) scrolling history bit
. :|

Edit:
Red Blaster said:
Also Miller should be in his mid 60s in MGS1

That's another thing that doesn't sit well with me at that history bit.

they should have put a way to fight others zekes :(

When you can start to add parts to your seke I was extremely hyped for this... I hoped for fights like MGS4 rex vs ray fight :( and got none :S

Salaadin

Red Blaster said:
Also Miller should be in his mid 60s in MGS1, certainly didn't look/sound that old from what I remember. I guess Kojima's gonna have eventually to remake MGS1 to make that game up-to-date with all the retcons :lol

Miller was dead in MGS1. We only know Liquids rendition of him. I know 60 year olds who dont sound their age. His voice is perfectly believable to me.

Looks are a different, though, which brings back the question on whether or not you can see the people you talk to on the codec.:lol

Peff

Salaadin said:
Miller was dead in MGS1. We only know Liquids rendition of him. I know 60 year olds who dont sound their age. His voice is perfectly believable to me.

Looks are a different, though, which brings back the question on whether or not you can see the people you talk to on the codec.:lol

Well,
when Snake sees Mei for the first time he says something like "you're the prettiest operator I've seen", but it just doesn't make sense that he can see them, I thought the portraits were just for the player. Then again I've never understood the whole "NO SHUT UT, LET'S TALK THROUGH THE CODEC THEY CAN'T LISTEN TO US THERE!!!!" so who knows :lol

Salaadin said:
Hmm. How do you level that up? Im not sure he has that condition.

He didnt even get the call from Miller yet about Zadornov escaping for the 7th time. Hes just stuck in this endless loop of doing EX OPS and waiting for Miller to call
Just keep doing extra ops and leveling up your team. Especially intel.

Zeke only needs a railgun as his optional part, nothing else. If he has Zeke completed (should receive a call from Huey telling Snake Zeke is done), send Zeke on an Outer Ops mission to test him out. Choose one of the easier missions it doesn't matter. I'm not sure if it's required but I've read mixed opinions on this. I got the call from Miller after Zeke completed his first Outer Ops mission.

It can be tricky man. They don't explain this very well in the game (they don't explain it at all actually). When miller does call go to ex ops 1 and you will hear Zadornov laughing and up against a wall on the 2nd level. Approach him for the cutscene.

Slime

Banned
One thing that's been on my mind lately is how familiar I now seem to be with the character of Big Boss. And I know they've somewhat explained (or, more accurately, retconned) his motivations in MG and MG2 in games that have been released since then, but something about all that still feels a little off to me.

Am I the only one that would like to see those games (or, at the very least, that general era) but from Big Boss's perspective?

Salaadin

Peff said:
Well,
when Snake sees Mei for the first time he says something like "you're the prettiest operator I've seen", but it just doesn't make sense that he can see them, I thought the portraits were just for the player. Then again I've never understood the whole "NO SHUT UT, LET'S TALK THROUGH THE CODEC THEY CAN'T LISTEN TO US THERE!!!!" so who knows :lol

Dont forget Liquid saying "Snake! Did you like my sunglasses!". If Snake couldnt see him disguised as Miller, how would be even know that he had sunglasses on lol.

But yeah, I agree that it doesnt make a lot of sense for him to see them. From what we know, the codec is a small device that stimulates the inner ear and only the wearer can hear it. Theres no mention of it affected the brain or eyesight.

Then again, doesnt Meryl hear the codec in MGS1 when Otacon calls Snake when the base is being bombed? PLOT HOLE! :D

TheSeks said:
Finished the last main story last night.

Paz :(

I don't really like how they
tied Zero/MGS4 raping MGS3's cast of characters up the ass into "the Patroits" plotpoint, oh and Paz working for Zero/Cipher all this time and she only suddenly turns in the last twenty minutes of the game. WTF?
and
Big Boss/Outer Heaven uprising only getting a mention at the end (fast) scrolling history bit
. :|

Actually if you get her Diary Tapes the turn happens well before that. Its just that she had no choice since her cover got blown

Thrakier

AgentOtaku said:
I think it's pretty easy (I've broed-up a couple of times now at work). If anything, it sucks early on if both bros aren't very far into it/unlocked extensive extra-ops missions =/

Not if you have to do it via PS3. To begin with, it's super annoying that I have to lay a cable through my room just to do it. And also, FFO is a bitch who doesn't want to bro-op when I want to.

heringer

Finally started this. I have a few questions:

1 - What difference does it make to use a soldier instead of Snake on Extra Ops?

2 - What's the criteria to get S rankings?

3 - The only real use for soldier is getting more money to develop stuff?

4 - Any usefull tips I should know?

Finished the game today. I didn't do any of Chapter 5 yet, though. I think I'm going to take a break from the game and play Chapter 5 later on since I completed the story and the credits rolled. I finished it at 30 hours, and enjoyed the game very much. It doesn't top Metal Gear Solid 3, but it's up there with my favorite games I have played.
Loved how The Boss as Peace Walker opened up the hatch to the AI Pod and the butterflies came out, and that she drowned herself in the end.

soldat7

I've thumbed through this at Gamestop (before I new what I was doing in the game), but I'm wondering if this is worth purchasing:

3011xte.jpg

Does it include how to S-Rank all the levels?

lopes16

Neo Member
soldat7 said:
I've thumbed through this at Gamestop (before I new what I was doing in the game), but I'm wondering if this is worth purchasing:

3011xte.jpg

Does it include how to S-Rank all the levels?
No, only on some missions, but its worth for every secret and the unlockables.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Can any kind hearted GAF gamers help me beat a boss, it's the one Huey made, that big tank thing. I can adhoc party but don't have a headset on my PS3.

Mr_Brit said:
Can any kind hearted GAF gamers help me beat a boss, it's the one Huey made, that big tank thing. I can adhoc party but don't have a headset on my PS3.

The PUPA? I'm up for it if you want my help! PSN is GoncaloCastro

Mr_Brit

Banned
I'll create a peace walker room on the US adhoc party world 1. I'll call it Brit_PW and the password is pupa.

Edit: Great a super useful firmware update.:lol :lol :lol :lol

54-46!

heringer said:
Finally started this. I have a few questions:

1 - What difference does it make to use a soldier instead of Snake on Extra Ops?

2 - What's the criteria to get S rankings?

3 - The only real use for soldier is getting more money to develop stuff?

4 - Any usefull tips I should know?

1. You level them up.

2. No alerts, no kills, fastest time

3. No, you can send them on missions (Outer ops) later on.

4. Hmm..

Mr_Brit

Banned
Alright I've made my room in world 1 although I'm not sure if i've got the uk or us version of adhoc party so i hope that won't make a difference.

Edit: I'm fighting the Cocoon BTW and not the Pupa.

How the hell do you use this thing? I've made an adhoc party room and I'm hosting a game on the PSP bur don't know what to do now.

Mr_Brit said:
Alright I've made my room in world 1 although I'm not sure if i've got the uk or us version of adhoc party so i hope that won't make a difference.

Edit: I'm fighting the Cocoon BTW and not the Pupa.

How the hell do you use this thing? I've made an adhoc party room and I'm hosting a game on the PSP bur don't know what to do now.

It does, but I have both so just wait a sec!

Mr_Brit

Banned
PS3 just froze, just after a FW update as well. Hope it's just a coincidence.

Edit: Adhoc party is the worst thing ever made right after flash player.

micster

Mr_Brit said:
PS3 just froze, just after a FW update as well. Hope it's just a coincidence.

Edit: Adhoc party is the worst thing ever made right after flash player.
Aye I got my ethernet cable this morning for Adhoc Party and its glitchy as shit

micster said:
Aye I got my ethernet cable this morning for Adhoc Party and its glitchy as shit

japanese adhoc paty is 1000% times better than american one... I dont know why they havent update it.

All I want is they fix that bug when you are typing and suddenly all the messages go away and you need to make a new room to see the meesages; the color thing, when somebody type something and all the others meesages changes colors; and also the 4 people rooms :S I cant play versus properly in PW without 8 people rooms.

Salaadin

Blablurn said:
FINISHED IT!

oh god, i love the metal gear series.

there are no words.

WHEN HEAVENS DIVIIIIIIIIDE

:lol

My brother is still having issues
getting the ZEKE fight to activate. His mission support is only lvl 1 so hes going to upgrade that tonight. I really wish the game did a better job at explaining this Ch. 5 nonsense.

Minamu

Augemitbutter said:
good, post your impressions later :D
I was concerned about the controls and the comic book art after the demo and promo videos, but I'm glad to be able to say that they work almost flawlessly, and best of all, my claw hands barely hurt at all, like they usually do after playing on the psp for a while. That alone will give it a high score :D The bite-sized missions are also quite welcome. Not particularly hard so far either (not even the Pupa).

If I have to complain about something, then the constant loading times, even if they are relatively fast, between the main menu and mission selection can be a bit annoying. And the camo index doesn't seem to play much of a role anymore. I almost wonder why it's even there anymore. It seems to be perfectly fine to run around with 50% and you'll not be detected anyway. That's not how it was in MGS3 :S

Minamu said:
I was concerned about the controls and the comic book art after the demo and promo videos, but I'm glad to be able to say that they work almost flawlessly, and best of all, my claw hands barely hurt at all, like they usually do after playing on the psp for a while. That alone will give it a high score :D The bite-sized missions are also quite welcome. Not particularly hard so far either (not even the Pupa).

If I have to complain about something, then the constant loading times, even if they are relatively fast, between the main menu and mission selection can be a bit annoying. And the camo index doesn't seem to play much of a role anymore. I almost wonder why it's even there anymore. It seems to be perfectly fine to run around with 50% and you'll not be detected anyway. That's not how it was in MGS3 :S

You could have 1% and they still dont see you, just with a minus digit they see you more easily but is definetly not hard in that aspect. I also liked better in MGS3.

Minamu

sotodefonk said:
You could have 1% and they still dont see you, just with a minus digit they see you more easily but is definetly not hard in that aspect. I also liked better in MGS3.
That is so weird :lol Too bad sneaking up on people to do a hold-up is next to impossible so far :( Some consistency would be nice :)

JORMBO

Darkness no more
the one thing I was worried about with this game was everyone saying the bosses being really hard. I beat the first two already with no problem. The tank I beat on the first try in a few minutes. Are the rest of the bosses harder?

Minamu said:
That is so weird :lol Too bad sneaking up on people to do a hold-up is next to impossible so far :( Some consistency would be nice :)

You just have to creep up on enemies very slowly until you receive a certain uniform.

Pimpbaa

Finished the main story. Pretty cool game, but that lousy When Heavens Divide is fucking garbage. It almost killed me by distracting me with it's awfulness in an early battle and waiting through the credits was torture. Ugh. Anyways, love how this game just continues on after the credits.

54-46!

Pimpbaa said:
Finished the main story. Pretty cool game, but that lousy When Heavens Divide is fucking garbage. It almost killed me by distracting me with it's awfulness in an early battle and waiting through the credits was torture. Ugh. Anyways, love how this game just continues on after the credits.
2dio7sw.png

Salaadin

Pimpbaa said:

Fucking leave. Or even worse things will happen

Pimpbaa said:

Sure you've beaten it?

Top Bottom