• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

Pimpbaa

Salaadin said:
Fucking leave. Or even worse things will happen

Ooooh, I'm scared. That song was almost as bad as the credits song in Castlevania SOTN. You'd have to be a real goddamn weeaboo to enjoy that garbage.

Salaadin

Graphics Horse said:
I hate it too, but I heard they've already signed up Celine Dion for the next game so that one should be good.
Lol, cant wait for that one!

Pimpbaa said:
Ooooh, I'm scared. That song was almost as bad as the credits song in Castlevania SOTN. You'd have to be a real goddamn weeaboo to enjoy that garbage.

I think the SOTN song was done by Cynthia Harrell, who did "Snake Eater" as well

54-46! said:
2dio7sw.png

:lol :lol :lol :lol indeed

mauaus

suikodan said:
PSP2000/3000/Go + TV Output Cable + DS3 = Win

Fixed that for you

EDIT:
Whats this i read about not being able to complete the game solo? Is coop semi mandatory because of the difficulty or are people being wusses?

newsguy

Ok guys. I just started this yesterday. I just
rescued the little boy and recently beat the first boss mission against the APC
I'm not new to the series, I've played them all. Does it pick up from here? Meaning, I'm getting the hang of Fulton recovery and assigning guys, but as of now the stealth seems bad. I don't know if it's the controls scheme, but I'm having lots of trouble sneaking around in this one.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Darkness said:
the one thing I was worried about with this game was everyone saying the bosses being really hard. I beat the first two already with no problem. The tank I beat on the first try in a few minutes. Are the rest of the bosses harder?

They WILL get harder. Just wait until the EXOP for the Carl Gustav Fulton Launcher.

I hate the real-time equipment menu :(. Got knocked down as I was just about to select a ration. Then I couldn't do anything and was killed while knocked out.

alr1ghtstart said:
^blame the co-op. I hate it too, as it would be an easy fix for single players.
If they made it pause it would act as a balance fix as well. I don't agree with most of the reviews saying Peace Walker's bosses are overly hard (although I think you really do need to do the extra ops and even repeat some of the missions a few times to build up your army & r&d), but sometimes you just get screwed because you can't do what you want to do due to the real-time inventory plus lack of a second analog/secondary shoulder buttons on the PSP.

Sielys

What are y'alls triangle spamming techniques?

Also, ex. ops 91 is impossible. The goddamn chopper hits me for like 200% of my hp with a direct hit, chews through 2 rations at once.

Minamu

Valkyr Junkie said:
You just have to creep up on enemies very slowly until you receive a certain uniform.
Oh, can't wait :D Is it a bad idea to just fulton every soldier I meet? The fulton supply seems limitless so scanning soldiers seem rather unnecessary at this point.

Minamu said:
Oh, can't wait :D Is it a bad idea to just fulton every soldier I meet? The fulton supply seems limitless so scanning soldiers seem rather unnecessary at this point.

Not at first, but longer levels will give you more soldiers than you can carry. Watch out for P.O.Ws, as they tend to have better stats. Also put research into better analysers when you can, it goes up in distance and speed and becomes less of a pain to use, It's even pointed out some guys I hadn't seen a few times.

You can also run up to them, throw them, and hold them up when they land (make sure auto aim is on for that).

Varth

Minamu said:

It's not limitless, but yes, fulton away at the beginning. You will start being more selective once you hit 350 soldiers limit.

Minamu said:
Alright :) By limitless I meant that they refill between missions in a seemingly never-ending stream.

It's almost impossible to run out of items between missions, unless you get rid of all your staff or something. The weapons/item menus in mother base shows how many are created per mission I think. You'll end up with 9999 of a lot of things before long :lol More advanced equipment is replaced slower, but not at a rate you should notice.

Minamu

Yeah I have a couple of ammo stashes at maximum. Are there any good ways to grind weapon levels quickly? My rockets and my MK22 goes up fast thanks to bosses and tranquing soldiers before getting fultoned, but it goes slower and slower now. My machine guns etc are helplessly low since I'm not a fan of killing people.

Zabojnik

I'm thinking of getting the PSP just (well, to begin with anyway) for this game. Can someone explain to me how the multiplayer works? I know that there are co-op and versus missions. I'm not exactly sure what ad-hoc means. Can I only play with local PSP users, connecting directly to their PSP? Or is there true online multiplayer?

sammy

This is the most fun I've had with a Metal Gear since the 2nd game. It's just so streamlined and accessible. I'm only a few hours in, but i enjoy just running through the missions to get a grip on the controls. I'm currently using the "Shooter" setup and it's working well.

can't wait to fight the Tigrex!!!

Minamu

Zabojnik said:
I'm thinking of getting the PSP just (well, to begin with anyway) for this game. Can someone explain to me how the multiplayer works? I know that there are co-op and versus missions. I'm not exactly sure what ad-hoc means. Can I only play with local PSP users, connecting directly to their PSP? Or is there true online multiplayer?
ad-hoc means local users, yes. But with ad-hoc party on your ps3, you can "trick" your psp into connecting to anyone around the world.

Minamu said:
ad-hoc means local users, yes. But with ad-hoc party on your ps3, you can "trick" your psp into connecting to anyone around the world.
disclaimer: your PS3 has to use a wired internet connection for ad-hoc party

Erebus

I beat the first boss last night. The game is good so far and I really dig the motion-comic presentation and interactivity with the cutscenes.

Btw, am I the only one who thinks the noise that these flying giant robot things do is kinda disturbing?

Sielys said:
What are y'alls triangle spamming techniques?

Mr_Brit said:
How the hell do you beat
Strangelove's Torture Triangle Session
? Please help.

i overlay my middle finger on my index finger (pushing down on the nail) - it's the only way i can maintain that movement for long enough...

Ridley327

Red Blaster said:
Okay, how the hell do you beat Ex Ops 91? Even if I take out all the guards, the Raider just destroys me.

At this point, I don't play any of the high-rank mech ops on my own; they're just too frustrating in solo play. If you're keen on doing it solo, I will say that it's worth your time to abuse supply calls if you keep running out of health items, particularly if you've already developed the Bandana. Other than that, it's worth it to play as a MSF soldier with either the Green Beret skill (chance to do triple the amount of damage on a single shot) or the Mechanic skill(does higher default damage against mechs) and pound away at it with your strongest rocket launchers.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
What does the Intel team do for you? They're my lowest ranked section of my time, I don't get what they do exactly for having a high rank.

Also I noticed that under the Command center section that my rank is 5 but in every other section is says my barracks, etc is rank 0. Are those supposed to rank up sometime?

Ridley327

Intel will increase the effectiveness of your supply and strike markers, as well as giving you more detailed info on what enemies you'll run into prior to starting an Op. On top of all that, some of the absolute best weapons and items in the game require you to have a high Intel level in order to develop them.

Salaadin

lawblob said:
Just got the credits. Confused about what I do next.

Are you on Chapter 5 now? If so then start
working on Zeke. Start doing some extra ops to gather soliders and supplies. Get the 4 main parts to complete Zeke, get the railgun and jetpack for zeke. Start levelling up the mother base.

Adam Prime said:
Also I noticed that under the Command center section that my rank is 5 but in every other section is says my barracks, etc is rank 0. Are those supposed to rank up sometime?

This had me confused at first too. Once you get hex shaped platforms, the other stuff will start leveling up. Don't worry about it. I think the hex platforms come when your command center is level 6.

Ridley327

I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but the story in this game is unfiltered retard. Things are OK until the final confrontation with Peace Walker, when
they completely draw out the fight itself in between all of the Pentagon infighting and running through the MGS3 script for choice Boss quotes. The nadir is reached when Christopher Randolph is given yet another awful line of dialogue that he can't salvage; you should know the one I'm talking about.
As for Chapter 5, I wouldn't have thought in a million years that Kojima would do something that hopelessly dumb,
especially when Paz/Pacifica Ocean :lol is explaining to Big Boss stuff he should already know about, but has conveniently forgotten because the Snake family has the memory retention of a dust mite.
Sooooooooooooo dumb.

Thankfully, the rest of the game is mostly great.

I don't know what Chris Randolph line you're talking about, I thought he performed fine throughout the whole game.

But I'll agree that
Paz's betrayal was totally stupid. It felt tacked on, like Kojima just thought it would be neat and put it in towards the end of the development cycle. It didn't really make any sense and Paz still talks to you on the codec and still works at MSF in the end-game, so it's kinda like it never happened.

However, I think that this story was far more restrained than most MGS games. It definitely got overly dramatic at times, especially with the pentagon power struggle, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't on the edge of my seat and totally soaking up ever moment. It's like a soap opera that i'm already heavily invested in. i find it very entertaining, and not in a B-movie sort of way.

Ridley327

"It's listening to its heart!"
I haven't groaned that loudly at a game since Grandia 3's final boss taunting you with how its going to kill all the love in the world.

They really saddle Randolph with the worst dramatic moments. First, it was EEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE in MGS2, then Naomi's death in MGS4 and now this. Maybe he really enjoys doing them. :lol

Otacon is a very naive and childlike character. They often write sappy dialogue for him because he's a pretty sappy character. It never really bothered me, but that's just me. I've always liked the character, so I dunno.

DarkUSS said:
I beat the first boss last night. The game is good so far and I really dig the motion-comic presentation and interactivity with the cutscenes.

Btw, am I the only one who thinks the noise that these flying giant robot things do is kinda disturbing?
I think that's the idea, the vocaloid combined with machine is supposed to be eery/disturbing contrast

Ridley327

autoboozy said:
Otacon is a very naive and childlike character. They often write sappy dialogue for him because he's a pretty sappy character. It never really bothered me, but that's just me. I've always liked the character, so I dunno.
I don't mind that the Emmerichs are supposed to be kinda whiny; I just mind that they get really bad material at what should be dramatic high points. :lol

Another thing I hate about the story is a bad habit that Kojima started in MGS4 where every single character has to be related to each other, no matter how contrived. Miller getting his start with MSF makes sense (although it does make Solid Snake to be an even bigger idiot than we previously thought when he couldn't see past that facade in MGS1), but did we really need to see Huey being a die-hard Big Boss fan and
meeting his future wife and mother of Otacon, who also happens to be in league with the same bunch?
Kojima just can't leave well enough alone.

Ridley327 said:
I don't mind that the Emmerichs are supposed to be kinda whiny; I just mind that they get really bad material at what should be dramatic high points. :lol

Another thing I hate about the story is a bad habit that Kojima started in MGS4 where every single character has to be related to each other, no matter how contrived. Miller getting his start with MSF makes sense (although it does make Solid Snake to be an even bigger idiot than we previously thought when he couldn't see past that facade in MGS1), but did we really need to see Huey being a die-hard Big Boss fan and
meeting his future wife and mother of Otacon, who also happens to be in league with the same bunch?
Kojima just can't leave well enough alone.

Yeah, it's weird how everyone ends up being family in the end.

However, we know that Miller parts ways with Big Boss at some point because he supported Snake along with Campbell after the first Outer Heaven uprising in MG1, though it's anyone's guess as to whether or not he was involved with that uprising. But Miller had nothing to do with Big Boss's plans in Zanzibar, and he actively helped Snake stop it. Maybe Miller eventually thinks that Big Boss goes too far or something? And also changes his name to MacDonald? :lol

Top Bottom