• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

Ridley327

Maybe he couldn't take another romantic rejection from Big Boss and decided to trade up to his younger incarnation. :lol :lol :lol

Ephemeris

70+ hours later and I'm finally done. And by done, I mean
beat chapter 5

I actually had a harder time with the
horse
than the
torture room

I thought it was really good. Then I played the final chapter and it got a whole lot better.

Ridley327

I should also mention how much I love Robin Atkin Downes. That guy can do no wrong in my book and he really had so much fun playing Miller. His more unhinged moments came dangerously close to sounding exactly like Travis Touchdown, though.

The secret game over message where he sings the jingle almost had me falling out of my chair :lol

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Okay I just got all the head, arm, legs, and whatever body parts for Zeke. How come I can't use him in Outter Ops yet? Do I have to wait until the end of the game or something?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Adam Prime said:
Okay I just got all the head, arm, legs, and whatever body parts for Zeke. How come I can't use him in Outter Ops yet? Do I have to wait until the end of the game or something?

Just wait, you'll be able to later.

heringer

Man, I'm having a blast with this. As a MGS fan, I thought this would be a more polished Portable Ops. Glad to see that I was way off. Peace Walker really can stand proud among all of the main games.

The cutscenes are great too. Definitely a step up from Portable Ops. I almost don't miss the real time ones. Almost.

After playing this I really, really want a remake of the first Metal Gear games. Do it Kojima!

mauaus

SixStringPsycho said:
just bought a PSP solely for this game. :lol I did the same for MGS4.
Anyways, what accesories are a must for the PSP besides the screen protector?
Is that a psp go?

My god! I finished the first Monster Hunter mission last night! I haven't actually finished the game - I'm working my way through Chapter 4 now - yet but Rathalos was a whole lot nastier than any of the AI bosses I've had to face so far! I don't know how many Gustav rounds I had to hit him with! :lol Those little blue pseudo-Raptors were really irritating too! Overall, a real challenge!! I haven't played any of the Monster Hunter games but if they're anything like this, I might have to borrow one of my Son's discs and give it a run! Just awesome!

-Winnie-

^ Apparently hiding is a good tactic, but I basically just kept Fultoning the soldiers away until the leader popped his head out and then tranq'd him.

glaurung said:
Stuck at the
helicopter battle

The damn thing just keeps carpeting me with missiles. Any pointers?

Stay out of sight! :lol Easier said than done, I know, since you don't have the sneaking suit yet...
If you stay under the trees/foliage, in the more "shadowed" areas (ie: well away from the cliff edge where the Helicopter spends most of it's time hovering) then the chopper can only find you if you're spotted by the soldiers. Stay in the back of the level and stay down, and if you're spotted CQC the guards from behind the little hills. Stay crouched, and only stand to loose a rocket when you have the helicopter lined up. Crouch again to reload, and keep a hill between you and the chopper at all times.

Ridley327

Blue Submarine No. 6 said:
My god! I finished the first Monster Hunter mission last night! I haven't actually finished the game - I'm working my way through Chapter 4 now - yet but Rathalos was a whole lot nastier than any of the AI bosses I've had to face so far! I don't know how many Gustav rounds I had to hit him with! :lol Those little blue pseudo-Raptors were really irritating too! Overall, a real challenge!! I haven't played any of the Monster Hunter games but if they're anything like this, I might have to borrow one of my Son's discs and give it a run! Just awesome!
They're considerably harder in the actual series due to the ranged weaponry not being anywhere nearly as advanced as what you get in PW. The MH fights actually get depressingly easy once you get rank 5 rocket launchers, but I suppose there's always tranqing them in order to S-rank them. You even get neat camo for your troubles if you pull it off.

the last MH fight is pretty tough when you go for S, maybe the toughest fight in the game. i don't think the others are higher in difficulty than the regular AIs (S).

Getting special Zeke parts is a bitch :lol I only got PW legs randomly while S'ing the mission for the bandana, and I attacked the legs a lot.

I Killed so many times Pupa custom without damaging any part and I never get the head...

Is there a special thing I need to do to get this specials parts?

Does anyone have a list of whats parts can I get from custom AI's?

Game desperately needs a wiki, or at the very least a good FAQ. Lots of unanswered questions....

WHERE DO I GO TO GRIND R&D?! My team is level 72 but I need to push it higher.

heringer

Just "finished".
To be continued in Chapter 5. Awesome.

What's up with people saying this is balanced to coop? I mean, I had no trouble whatsoever with the game (so far anyway).

Apparently people have troubles with Peace Walker 2nd fight? It's just really long, but not hard at all.

Well, I think the game is perfectly balanced. Maybe because I did a lot of replaying and extra ops, which gave me the opportunity to develop better weapons. Still, I don't see why someone would play without developing Outer Heaven. It's big part of what makes the game so enjoyable.

Anyway, best PSP game to me and definitely a GOTY contender.

sotodefonk said:
Getting special Zeke parts is a bitch :lol I only got PW legs randomly while S'ing the mission for the bandana, and I attacked the legs a lot.

I Killed so many times Pupa custom without damaging any part and I never get the head...

got legs and head S ranking both missions back to back. try to not attack parts you want to pillage, they can take a few hits though.

that's how i play missions for whole parts, i don't have any other info on that.

heringer said:
What's up with people saying this is balanced to coop? I mean, I had no trouble whatsoever with the game (so far anyway).

they're simply wrong.

heringer said:
Just "finished".
To be continued in Chapter 5. Awesome.

Apparently people have troubles with Peace Walker 2nd fight? It's just really long, but not hard at all.

Well, I think the game is perfectly balanced. Maybe because I did a lot of replaying and extra ops, which gave me the opportunity to develop better weapons. Still, I don't see why someone would play without developing Outer Heaven. It's big part of what makes the game so enjoyable.

Anyway, best PSP game to me and definitely a GOTY contender.
IMO the people who are having trouble either don't have the patience to "find the trick" or aren't doing base management/extra ops.

hiro4

First fight I had really troubles with was the extra op 86 or something.

Took me 5 tries before I finally nailed that bastard.
Still awesome game!

Also cooking your ration is funny! :lol

Dwayne

Hey, can someone please explain why
my Zeke doesn't do anything? I have all the parts, and it sits there complete in the MGZeke part of the base, with 0% power. Gameplay wise i've just beaten Cacoon, so if I need to play further to use Zeke, please just say that :) I might be misunderstanding what I use it for, I was thinking I could deploy it on outer ops.
Cheers!

Dwayne said:
my Zeke doesn't do anything? I have all the parts, and it sits there complete in the MGZeke part of the base, with 0% power. Gameplay wise i've just beaten Cacoon, so if I need to play further to use Zeke, please just say that :) I might be misunderstanding what I use it for, I was thinking I could deploy it on outer ops.
Cheers!

yeah you need to play more to finish zeke and yes you can deploy it to outer ops

Salaadin

Dwayne said:
Cheers!

WHat chapter are you on?

Zeke doesnt become available until chapter 5.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Hey guys, does this game have alternate paths depending on how you do in interactive cutscenes?
I got caught by Coldman in the lab and was tortured by Dr.Strangelove and I didn't manage to catch up to Peace Walker on the horse. Would anything different have happened had I succeded?

Mr_Brit said:
Hey guys, does this game have alternate paths depending on how you do in interactive cutscenes?
I got caught by Coldman in the lab and was tortured by Dr.Strangelove and I didn't manage to catch up to Peace Walker on the horse. Would anything different have happened had I succeded?

No, it doesnt change anything, maybe just a couple of dialogs.

autobzooty said:
Game desperately needs a wiki, or at the very least a good FAQ. Lots of unanswered questions....

WHERE DO I GO TO GRIND R&D?! My team is level 72 but I need to push it higher.

Extra Ops 49 have some good Research soldiers.

Ridley327

I actually find that the best way to get R&D and Mess Hall staff is to scan for wi-fi hotspots, as you'll tend to get a lot of S-rank soldiers in those categories, with the occassional A-rank Medical soldier. Intel is hard to come by, but there is a guaranteed S-rank soldier in two of the story missions if you have any of the special Fulton devices, like the mine or the Carl Gustav launcher.

Ridley327 said:
I actually find that the best way to get R&D and Mess Hall staff is to scan for wi-fi hotspots, as you'll tend to get a lot of S-rank soldiers in those categories, with the occassional A-rank Medical soldier. Intel is hard to come by, but there is a guaranteed S-rank soldier in two of the story missions if you have any of the special Fulton devices, like the mine or the Carl Gustav launcher.

Yeah Intel S soldiers appear always on rescue chico mission and the next one, the snipers that are unreachable, but, you can only get them with carl gustav with fulton rounds or the musket, the fulton mine doesnt work to get them because they are too high.

And recruiting good soldiers only works if you have 10,000 hero points or more, less than that and all the recluted soldiers will be low level.

Ridley327

It's really easy to get 10k Heroism Points, though.

Getting 115k so you can unlock the sleep codec command that I need for a particular set of plans, on the other hand...

heringer

Just got a guy that is better than Big Boss in every way. Not to mention the skill that locates stuff on the map. He's awesome. :D

heringer

infinityBCRT said:
Chapter
is incredibly boring. The mission quality takes a dive off a cliff.
Yeah, it's kinda disappointing because it's not reaaaly a new chapter. It's just post game stuff. Still nice to have though.

I was hoping for a more developed prologue, showing a little bit more of "Big Boss", with cutscenes and all. The main story of the game is actually four chapters.

OneMoreQuestion said:
Same here:D Only problem is that his name is LEMMING :lol
How is that a problem? That only makes him even more awesome. :lol

Gravijah

So... how often do people actually die when you send them out on Outer Ops missions? I'm very paranoid about losing my very good soldiers that way.

Ridley327 said:

How do you scan for hot spots? Is it something I'll unlock later? I'm only at the start of Chapter 2.

Edit: Nevermind, got it now. Stupid fucking
HIND MOTHERFUCKER
unlocked it.

TheSeks

Post game really does take a nose-dive off the cliff.

I have like 5 "boss" missions to do, and they're all becoming "bigger HP bar and you do less damage" for me, I mean I was fine with them in the main story but cripes. They're just becoming boring and annoying now. :lol

Ridley327

That is the biggest problem I have with the game. The post game content just isn't varied enough to truly hold up in the long run beyond the ones that have S-rank awards, and those tend to be obscenely hard solo. You can fight so many variations of an APC for so long.

It's a shame that they didn't do more MGS2:S-esque challenges that required you to use weapons in a new way or lesser-used abilities like hanging (come to think of it, was there ever any opportunity for some classic Hang-Drop-Catch action?); it would have gone a loooooooooong way of breaking up the repetition.

Salaadin

I got over 10k heroism now. You guys say that the best way to get soldiers now is by wifi recruiting?

I get shit out in the field but I really need to level my teams. I have specs for some things that I just cant get because of my levels being too low

TheSeks

Salaadin said:
I got over 10k heroism now. You guys say that the best way to get soldiers now is by wifi recruiting?

I get shit out in the field but I really need to level my teams. I have specs for some things that I just cant get because of my levels being too low

Yeah, that's another thing that nosedives off a cliff after the game ends. Soldier recruitment levels are horrible unless you grind the heroism up. It isn't an issue in the main game as you (if you do extra ops) get enough heroism to get rank D-C soldiers that give you enough stuff to beat the game, but man... trying to get the Carl Gustav Fulton Launcher is taking FOREVER to get the ranks up and the extra ops with S-rank intel/RD/food/medical are LATE LATE LATE post-game unlocks. So stupid.

Have to agree with you guys. Some ex ops are really fun, like hold ups and stealth stuff, but those vehicle battles, AI's, just feel cheap when you have to battle so many variations (and they doesnt do anything different :S). Playing co-op is really fun too, but there is no history or new missions to keep you fighting or going forward.

After unlocking all the Ex OPS there is nothing left to do, except S'ing the missions to get new weapons, but if there are no new battles, whats the points obtaining weapons?

Anyway, I love the game, But after 80 hours and having finished all battles, I think is time to take a break just like RelentlessRolento says. I hope they release some DLC missions, but I doubt they will :S

Salaadin said:

Yeah is a good point to start, you will get better chances to get better soldiers if you increase your Heroism Points, although with 10k+ you get S/A soldiers more often.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Ridley327 said:
It's a shame that they didn't do more MGS2:S-esque challenges that required you to use weapons in a new way or lesser-used abilities like hanging (come to think of it, was there ever any opportunity for some classic Hang-Drop-Catch action?); it would have gone a loooooooooong way of breaking up the repetition.

Just hearing this makes me want to just stop playing altogether, because that would be fuck awesome and knowing there is nothing like that post-game already sours me on the endgame stuff.

I am only nearing the end of Chapter 1, but I already just feel like I am only playing this for the plot(which so far kinda blows, but I hope it does pick up). I really dig hunting soldiers, but the boss duels are garbage. I STILL get irate at the zillion times the 'analog' nub decides to fuck me over when sneaking on some dude. I swear, is the PSP nub even CAPABLE of proper analog movement?? Did KOJIPRO just fuck that part up here? As far as I can tell it has two states. 'Silent' and 'you're fucked'. So easy to move from one to the other even when crouch walking. It's really like playing MGS1 again and accidentally bumping into soldiers because of the stiff goddamn movement.

Gah, I just want a proper console MGS again(MGS4 didn't count).

Okay, the final battle of
Chapter 5 redeems it's (Chapter 5's) existence. A lot of people complained about none of the enemy bosses having any personality but I think there was a little bit of that in the final battle of the game against Paz

Brandon F said:
Just hearing this makes me want to just stop playing altogether, because that would be fuck awesome and knowing there is nothing like that post-game already sours me on the endgame stuff.

I am only nearing the end of Chapter 1, but I already just feel like I am only playing this for the plot(which so far kinda blows, but I hope it does pick up). I really dig hunting soldiers, but the boss duels are garbage. I STILL get irate at the zillion times the 'analog' nub decides to fuck me over when sneaking on some dude. I swear, is the PSP nub even CAPABLE of proper analog movement?? Did KOJIPRO just fuck that part up here? As far as I can tell it has two states. 'Silent' and 'you're fucked'. So easy to move from one to the other even when crouch walking. It's really like playing MGS1 again and accidentally bumping into soldiers because of the stiff goddamn movement.

Gah, I just want a proper console MGS again(MGS4 didn't count).
Enemies will see you even if you sneak up on them slowly at times though. I eventually realized you can just hit R and slam them into a wall and that will end any alerts triggered immediately.

autobzooty said:
I don't know what Chris Randolph line you're talking about, I thought he performed fine throughout the whole game.

But I'll agree that
Paz's betrayal was totally stupid. It felt tacked on, like Kojima just thought it would be neat and put it in towards the end of the development cycle. It didn't really make any sense and Paz still talks to you on the codec and still works at MSF in the end-game, so it's kinda like it never happened.

However, I think that this story was far more restrained than most MGS games. It definitely got overly dramatic at times, especially with the pentagon power struggle, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't on the edge of my seat and totally soaking up ever moment. It's like a soap opera that i'm already heavily invested in. i find it very entertaining, and not in a B-movie sort of way.
The Paz thing made sense from the start. From the first scene they set it up that Paz and Galvez were liars, but for whatever reason, Big Boss really wanted to believe in Paz. They even brought it up at one point that Paz wasn't even attending that university. I think seeing that even Paz was a lying and manipulating person was the final straw for Big Boss. He didn't see any innocence in the world anymore.

Blablurn said:
Silly question. I finished the game. How do I enter Chapter
???

Just continue playing the game by doing some extra ops. Every time you do they will talk some stuff, keep doing them until Miller tells you about Zadornov and adds a new mission. That mission starts chapter 5

Searching for the nukes in the trucks I found Kojima, that was a nice Easter Egg and adition to it.
I got a Q.
whats the name of the Song that plays when Chicolibri starts flying? I got it stuck in my head!!!!

Top Bottom