• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

Since I got the Fulton Mines I've been working on full stealthing the five skull custom vehicle battles (no alerts)... I can do it if I manage to grab four soldiers at a time with each mine, but I can't S rank anything because it takes so damned long to pull off any single mission... :lol

Synless

How do you sneak around those guys who you can't see who randomly pop up out of no where in the later jungle levels? Also, and maybe more importantly is there a way to CQC them without them choking the shit out of me?

Salaadin

Is there any place where I can find the actual level requirements for some items? I finally knocked out EX98 last night and got the fulton launcher specs but I guess my team levels arent high enough yet. Ill grind out some soldiers tonight but Id like to know how far I have to go.

Me and my brother did EX98 co-op each armed with the strike marker gun, C4, and fulton mines. We would place mines and C4 around the area wherever he would tell them to go investigate and theyd just waltz right into our trap. When we killed/caught all 40 guys, all we needed was 2 rockets to the head of the commander and it was ours. Ill go back and S rank once I get enough fulton equipment to do it.

One thing we never realized is that when you are nearby your comrade in co-op, you can borrow their equipment. Just go into the items and press triangle to see what they have and just select it like you would. As long as they dont have it equipped, youre free to borrow it.

Synless said:
How do you sneak around those guys who you can't see who randomly pop up out of no where in the later jungle levels? Also, and maybe more importantly is there a way to CQC them without them choking the shit out of me?
Night Vision Goggles (NVG) will let you see the camo'd soldiers and snipers in the jungle...

oracrest

Synless said:

Either CQC from behind, or give them a punch or two, and then CQC.

Blue Submarine No. 6 said:
Since I got the Fulton Mines I've been working on full stealthing the five skull custom vehicle battles (no alerts)... I can do it if I manage to grab four soldiers at a time with each mine, but I can't S rank anything because it takes so damned long to pull off any single mission... :lol

Basically, as soon as the soldiers pop out, you need to be working on getting rid of them. If they pop out the back of a LAV, you can throw a smoke then fulton mine or hold up then manual fulton. It doesnt take longer than 10 seconds. If they are coming out the side of the APC, throw a smoke, hold them up, fulton mine, same thing, doesnt take long at all. You have to be ruthlessly quick. If you make a mistake, just restart, no big.

Synless said:

As was already stated, you can punch them once or twice then it sometimes works. I just prefer to NVG and shoot them in the head with the hush puppy. If you are very careful you can also hold them up, but you have to be very quiet and very close. The guys that are lieing down are the pains in the ass. If you see someone crouching just run up behind them and do an instant cqc throw then immediately pull out your gun and aim it at them. The ! will go off but not the alam and if you hold them up on the ground they will cower in fear.

Salaadin said:
Is there any place where I can find the actual level requirements for some items? I finally knocked out EX98 last night and got the fulton launcher specs but I guess my team levels arent high enough yet. Ill grind out some soldiers tonight but Id like to know how far I have to go.

http://news.filefront.com/metal-gear-solid-peace-walker-cheats

Salaadin said:
Awesome link. Thanks.

Whats with the black background with dark grey boxes and black text though. Im blind!:lol

I dont know why it's like that, when I saw it it was blue and white. Mind you, it still looked like shit, just, less shitty.

Minamu

Once you are detected in a boss fight (tanks and helicopters), is it possible to lose their attention by hiding somehow? Or is restart the only viable option if you're going for S/stealth?

Ridley327

That site doesn't mention this, but you have to have at least 115k Heroism if you want a shot at all of the weapons. EZ Gun (LR) is something that you have to body check Paz in order to obtain and you need the Battle Cry effect that puts people to sleep.

Minamu said:
Once you are detected in a boss fight (tanks and helicopters), is it possible to lose their attention by hiding somehow? Or is restart the only viable option if you're going for S/stealth?

Being spotted in a mech battle does not affect your ranking. It just makes the battle harder.

Minamu said:

You know, it is actually possible to be spotted and have it reset, the only problem is that it fucks up the attitude of the battle itself. I got spotted once and had it reset, the only problem was that after i tranq'd and fultoned all the guys, the commander wouldnt pop out of his bubble. I called in some supplies and got some grenades, threw a couple hoping he would pop, but it never happened.

If you get spotted, just reset. Even if you can reset it, you will lose so much time, position and confidence that your chances of S ranking it will be slim to nil.

Minamu said:

No, once you are detected they know you are there, you can hide but once you go out they will attack you, even if you have stealth camuflage.

Also, if they detected you and you hide and manage to fulton all soldiers, you still need to damage the vehicle to force the leader out.

Salaadin

It is possible to lose their attention if you are spotted. It just takes a lot of time, effort and smoke grenades. Its also practically impossible to do if the soldiers are still alive so get ready to kill/fulton them if you are seen.

Like Onion Relish said, it does change the whole battle. You can still get the commander to peek out but you need to do hefty amounts of damage to the tank...sometimes as high as 60% (maybe more at higher difficulties).

For me, its always one or the other. If I go in ready to kill, I kill. If I go in for stealth and get spotted, I reset. There is a middle ground but I just dont like it :p

tzare

Ridley327 said:
That site doesn't mention this, but you have to have at least 115k Heroism if you want a shot at all of the weapons. EZ Gun (LR) is something that you have to body check Paz in order to obtain and you need the Battle Cry effect that puts people to sleep.

Being spotted in a mech battle does not affect your ranking. It just makes the battle harder.
is that so? then i can try to get rank S in mission 111 (i think that is the mission that gives you de most powerful weapon in the game) even if i am spotted.

Salaadin

I forgot to ask this:

Is there an item that gives me the ability to see the commander rank and number of soldiers left during mech battles? I only recently discovered that option under the start menu. Prior to that, I would count them in my head and hope I didnt lose count. I was just wondering if it was always there or if something else (analyzer, maybe?) put it there.

Salaadin said:
I forgot to ask this:

Is there an item that gives me the ability to see the commander rank and number of soldiers left during mech battles? I only recently discovered that option under the start menu. Prior to that, I would count them in my head and hope I didnt lose count. I was just wondering if it was always there or if something else (analyzer, maybe?) put it there.

That comes once you reach a certain support level or something like that. It's not an item.

And to be pedantic, you can get spotted in boss battles but you need to take out the guard before he shouts something and the music changes.

Ridley327

tzare said:
is that so? then i can try to get rank S in mission 111 (i think that is the mission that gives you de most powerful weapon in the game) even if i am spotted.
There's only three requirements for S-ranking a mech battle

1. can't kill anyone (including the captain)
2. have to capture the mech
3. finish it fast enough (they're pretty lenient on this because it's so easy to get spotted)

Obviously, using Battle Cries or any of the S-rank limiting weapons/items will prevent you from getting it.

Just started playing single player and really impressed!

Too bad this game isn't played by more people. Its outstanding and frankly a top tier MGS game.

tzare

Ridley327 said:
There's only three requirements for S-ranking a mech battle

1. can't kill anyone (including the captain)
2. have to capture the mech
3. finish it fast enough (they're pretty lenient on this because it's so easy to get spotted)

Obviously, using Battle Cries or any of the S-rank limiting weapons/items will prevent you from getting it.
thanks! followed your indications and now i can develop that powerful weapon so i can get S rank in a certain mission to get the bandana :D

Okay so
I finished building MG ZEKE, and just finished Search for Zadornav 6. Where do I go from here? Just keep doing Outer Op missions and wait for more to unlock?

Salaadin

My first battle with PUPA Custom and I got the head to drop. Very nice! :D

I really need to start fleshing out my ZEKE AI. I only have 12 or so in Sense and 14 in Attack. Do I have this straight? In order to get more Attack pieces, I have to destroy their weapons which in turn will unlock the AI parts for the attack?

What do I need to beat on in order to unlock Sense parts?

Jinaar

*Sneaks into the thread, looks around, gets into his espionage Love Box*

"...I love this game, SO much."

*Takes Love Box and exits scene*

Salaadin said:
My first battle with PUPA Custom and I got the head to drop. Very nice! :D

I really need to start fleshing out my ZEKE AI. I only have 12 or so in Sense and 14 in Attack. Do I have this straight? In order to get more Attack pieces, I have to destroy their weapons which in turn will unlock the AI parts for the attack?

What do I need to beat on in order to unlock Sense parts?

Shoot the head.

The colour coded damage indicator tells you what part you're hitting, Yellow S is sense, Blue A is attack etc. At first I thought it was some kind of accuracy rating!

Salaadin

Thats what I though but I did Cocoon Type II yesterday and fired away and its weapons non stop. I think the only letters to appear were A's and C's but when it came to removing the AI, I got so little of both. Is there any way to increase the drop rate for the AI pieces?

Salaadin said:
Thats what I though but I did Cocoon Type II yesterday and fired away and its weapons non stop. I think the only letters to appear were A's and C's but when it came to removing the AI, I got so little of both. Is there any way to increase the drop rate for the AI pieces?
What I think happens is that there are three potential states or conditions for the individual AI boards when you defeat a boss and enter its AI pod: boards that are unavailable to you because you haven't damaged the relevant part of the boss (black w/ inner rectangle and whole), those boards that are available to be pulled because you did damage the corresponding part on the boss during the battle (colored), and broken boards, which happen when you damage a certain part too much (grey/black with a crack through them)... So I think that by concentrating on certain parts, you can do too much damage and break all the boards you were trying to get...

* note: this is what I understand/think from my experience with the game, and could be totally wrong! :lol

Salaadin

darkwing said:
why does the ad-hoc party for the ps3 needs to have a wired connection? :( is there a way around it?

I have my PS3 plugged into my PCs extra ethernet port and then bridged the connections between that and my unused wireless adapter in my PC. It means my PC needs to be turned on in order for me to play but there was no need to run extra wires to my router....just needed one to go the 5 feet between my PS3 and PC.

tzare

darkwing said:
why does the ad-hoc party for the ps3 needs to have a wired connection? :( is there a way around it?
i guess the wifi can only access one device at the time, and that would be the psp.

darkwing

Salaadin said:
I have my PS3 plugged into my PCs extra ethernet port and then bridged the connections between that and my unused wireless adapter in my PC. It means my PC needs to be turned on in order for me to play but there was no need to run extra wires to my router....just needed one to go the 5 feet between my PS3 and PC.

hmm is it just the matter of plugging a lan cable to the PC to the PS3? and Windows 7 takes care of the rest? :D i hate to run a line to my router which is very far away

Salaadin

darkwing said:
hmm is it just the matter of plugging a lan cable to the PC to the PS3? and Windows 7 takes care of the rest? :D i hate to run a line to my router which is very far away

You need an incoming wifi signal to your PC that you can then send to the extra ethernet port. At least I think thats how it works. Ill try to lay it out as simply as possible

My PC has two ethernet ports and a wifi card that I bought thinking I would need it. Turns out that I had enough cable to wire my PC so I had an extra wifi card installed in it that I wasnt using.

If I go into the network connection settings in Windows 7, I see the following:
Ethernet port A (which is listed as having a signal, thats my main connection)
Ethernet port B (no signal detected, not in use)
Wireless Adapter (disabled)

I then enable the wireless adapter and wait for the PC to detect it and show that its receiving a signal. Then hold Ctrl and click on "Wireless Adapter" and "Ethernet Port B". Right click and choose "Bridge Connections"

Windows will run thru the process and bridge the two. You should see an extra "Wireless bridge" option appear as well as the words "Enabled, bridged" appear next to the wireless adapter and ethernet port B. Im going by memory here, but I also recall there being a red X over Ethernet port B because its currently not connected to anything.

Then run a cable from Ethernet Port B over to your PS3 and turn the PS3 on. Set up its network connection as Wired. The PS3 should detect everything as it should.

I hope I didnt forget something. I think thats it.

Also, if you do any sort of MAC address filtering on your router, make sure the wireless adapters MAC address is given permission to access the signal. Might want to add the PS3s and Ethernet Port B's MAC address as well, just in case.

I really like the game, but I hate that there are so many
vehicle battles. They're pretty much all the same, and they're all very long, tedious, and hard (and not really hard in a fun way). I wish they had cut down on those - I don't like them very much but I definitely wouldn't have minded if there had only been a few extra ones.

Also I'm kind of stuck on Chrysalis Custom. I don't have the X-FIM because I need around eight more R&D levels, so that's out of the question. The railgun is crazy, too. It's weird how any version of Chrysalis is so much harder than every other AI weapon.

ptown

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
vehicle battles. They're pretty much all the same, and they're all very long, tedious, and hard (and not really hard in a fun way). I wish they had cut down on those - I don't like them very much but I definitely wouldn't have minded if there had only been a few extra ones.

Also I'm kind of stuck on Chrysalis Custom. I don't have the X-FIM because I need around eight more R&D levels, so that's out of the question. The railgun is crazy, too. It's weird how any version of Chrysalis is so much harder than every other AI weapon.

Agreed.

I've completed all of Outer Ops (around 90% of Outer Ops by captured vehicles). I captured probably over 50 vehicles. It's the only time in the game where I feel the Walkman is a required item so I don't have to listen to that vehicle battle music over and over, and slightly can tolerate more of the constant machine gun fire, explosions, and screaming from absolutely, batshit insane tank and helicopter pilots!
:lol

Even with all that I love the game and have yet to try CO-OPS. After I download adhoc-party, anyone down to play?

onken

Sir Ilpalazzo said:

Yeah same, finished the main quest done all the fun EX missions, now just left with over a dozen vehicle battles. Well done you beat that tank, now go fight 3 more slightly different tanks! Also I hate the cheapness in the variations of later AI bosses, they are literally exactly the same in every way except they take more hits and do more damage to you.

I really don't understand why
I can't unlock the last mission. Metal Gear Zeke is totally built, with a railgun, and I've done plently of Extra Op missions since beating the last Zadornav search mission. What am I missing?

Blu_LED said:
I really don't understand why
I can't unlock the last mission. Metal Gear Zeke is totally built, with a railgun, and I've done plently of Extra Op missions since beating the last Zadornav search mission. What am I missing?

Go to extra op 1 and see if Zadornov is there(he should be on the second floor laughing IIRC)

Sir Ilpalazzo said:

If you don't care about an S rank, a good way to beat a vehicle while wasting as little time as possible is to take as many smoke grenades as you can and any armor piercing machine gun. Throw a smoke down, stand in the cloud and turn on night vision, and pick off every enemy with headshots. They'll flock to you, and even stop directly in front of you for an easy headshot if they make it into the smoke. Throw a new smoke down at your feet every 20 seconds or so. You can kill everyone, the commander will pop out, and you can kill him easily and take the tank at full health in 3 minutes.

jimid2

Neo Member
Blu_LED said:
He's not....
Well, then you're waiting until Miller tells you he's escaped again - there won't be any mission with that announcement because they won't know where he is.... :lol

These are the required conditions for the final Zardornov search and subsequent Zeke battle:

~ Find Zardornov in Zardornov Search 6 (mission 32)
~ Motherbase upgraded to two plants. (Intel Level 40, then complete 13 missions)
~ Metal Gear Zeke completed, with Rail Gun installed, and NOT assigned to an Outer Ops mission.
~ AFTER fully completing all of the above, you have to play three additional missions and Miller will tell you Zardornov's escaped again...

jimid2 said:
Well, then you're waiting until Miller tells you he's escaped again - there won't be any mission with that announcement because they won't know where he is.... :lol

These are the required conditions for the final Zardornov search and subsequent Zeke battle:

~ Find Zardornov in Zardornov Search 6 (mission 32)
~ Motherbase upgraded to two plants. (Intel Level 40, then complete 13 missions)
~ Metal Gear Zeke completed, with Rail Gun installed, and NOT assigned to an Outer Ops mission.
~ AFTER fully completing all of the above, you have to play three additional missions and Miller will tell you Zardornov's escaped again...
I have beaten Zardornov Search 6, my Intel team is at level 52, Metal Gear Zeke is completed and in it's hanger, and I have played about 7-10 missions after beating mission 32. Still nothing. Any idea?

Top Bottom