• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Criminal Upper said:
I'll never understand why people still use Amazon after all the horror stories I've read.

Sitting at my desk at work, hugging my LE I just got this mornning.
Buh? Amazon comes through with flying colors 100 times more often than not.

SamuraiX-

The good thing about releasing this on the same day as MW3 is that every GameStop within 10 miles of me still has the LE in stock. hah

Still holding out hope that Amazon will get restocked soon so I can avoid sales tax/shipping charges. I may very well regret it.

SamuraiX- said:
The good thing about releasing this on the same day as MW3 is that every GameStop within 10 miles of me still has the LE in stock. hah

Still holding out hope that Amazon will get restocked soon so I can avoid sales tax/shipping charges. I may very well regret it.

Really?

Wonderin' if it's still in stock at Gamestop.com as well (can't check, at work)...

zlatko

Banned
Salaadin said:
Wasnt Peace Walker only 4 player co-op? Why does the back of the box say "Network Players 1-6"? Did they up it for the collection?

Like mentioned below there is a full blown versus MP component people passed over available in Peace Walker. 3v3 Metal Gear Online. :)

RedSwirl

To people playing Peace Walker for the first time: The boss fights are balanced for co-op.

Unless you try to take them out the stealth way, killing tanks and helicopters later on requires way more ammo than one player can carry on their own. So try to find three other players whenever you reach a boss.

It'll be really interesting if full online support reveals the full potential of PW in western territories.

Salaadin

vatstep said:
Buh? Amazon comes through with flying colors 100 times more often than not.

I have never had a bad experience with them and I order pretty much every game from them except for Nintendos Sunday releases.
The only horror story I personally know of is when my brother got Dark Souls one day after release when he chose release date delivery and they gave him 5 bucks in credit because of it.

zlatko said:
Like mentioned below there is a full blown versus MP component people passed over available in Peace Walker. 3v3 Metal Gear Online. :)

Ahh right, I forgot about VS OPs.

TheExodu5

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:
PSX version still works totally fine for what the game was supposed to be, IMO. MGS1 isn't really an action game and Twin Snakes tried too hard to make it so by incorporating the MGS2 system. Similar to comparing MGS2 to MGS3 and 4 it really plays more like a puzzle game than anything else, and the new additions really made it less of a straightforward experience.

Twin Snakes sucks. I don't care about the cutscenes, that's another director's vision and Kojima was apparently in support of those changes. That's not why it sucks. It fucking feels bad to play compared to MGS1.

I was really surprised how bad it felt to play. Shame. I guess I'll go back to the PSX version whenever I replay it.

SamuraiX- said:

I almost got denied a copy because the bozo at Gamestop (just got back) told me they only had copies for pre-order. I quickly stepped out of line and grabbed the shelf copy they had sitting out and said, "not quite"! He proceeded to blame it on the computer and was sorry. Anyway, glad I got a copy, and pretty damn excited!

RedSwirl said:
To people playing Peace Walker for the first time: The boss fights are balanced for co-op.

Unless you try to take them out the stealth way, killing tanks and helicopters later on requires way more ammo than one player can carry on their own. So try to find three other players whenever you reach a boss.

It'll be really interesting if full online support reveals the full potential of PW in western territories.

Also: learn how to use ammo drops. You're gonna need them.

And... grind out the extra missions and capturing soldiers/bosses over and over to improve your research and get better weapons.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Criminal Upper said:
I'll never understand why people still use Amazon after all the horror stories I've read.

Sitting at my desk at work, hugging my LE I just got this mornning.
Horror stories?

With one or two rare exceptions, Amazon has been an incredible service. I receive all games on release day tax free with free shipping. How awesome is that? I order 90% of my games from Amazon and, in the past two years, have only had two games miss release day (Deus Ex HR and MGS Collection). That's a good track record.

Erigu

RedSwirl said:
Unless you try to take them out the stealth way, killing tanks and helicopters later on requires way more ammo than one player can carry on their own.
I solo-ed them all?
It would definitely be easier with some help, but it's not strictly necessary.

epmode

RedSwirl said:

Wait, wat? That sounds awful.

kingslunk

Had to wait in line with 30 brogamers getting Call of Duty. Had one kid go "why would anyone be here this early and is not buying MW3?" I quickly responded, "I don't buy rehashed glorified map packs." Dude was stunned.

Also gamestop had one. ONE. non-reserved ps3 copy of it.

zlatko

Banned
AlphaTwo00 said:
This whole controller thing on 360 have me on hold. I have the 360 LE held at Gamestop (they're out of the PS3 one). WHAT DO I DO?

Use common sense that when you were younger every new game you bought had different control schemes, and remind yourself that the MGS series always had funky controls that took a little while to get used to.

The reviews still say the controls hold up to the test of time, but will take a little bit of play before it clicks.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
kingslunk said:
Had to wait in line with 30 brogamers getting Call of Duty. Had one kid go "why would anyone be here this early and is not buying MW3?" I quickly responded, "I don't buy rehashed glorified map packs." Dude was stunned.

Also gamestop had one. ONE. non-reserved ps3 copy of it.
You showed them.

infinityBCRT said:
Were there any extra LE's or were all pre-orders? Everytime I asked my local GS they didn't have it in the system.

How big is the box overall? I wanted to get the LE but did not want another DVD sized art book, which is usually what we get.

RedSwirl said:

yeah, if you want to take on later bosses alone, you'll be spending a lot of time chipping away at their health and will probably run out of ammo if you're not prepared.

I'm not a fan of the boss fights in Peace Walker. All are pretty boring and one-note. It's a shame because metal gear games have amazing boss fights; very creative in concept and game design.

I'm excited to finally have a reliable way to play online. Only did it a few times over ad hoc plus.

Salaadin

TheBanditKing said:
How big is the box overall? I wanted to get the LE but did not want another DVD sized art book, which is usually what we get.

Its full size and hardcover.
MGS-HD-LE-PS3-600x300.jpg

Wasnt this supposed to come with a code for PW PSP digital copy? I could swear that someone confirmed that.

RedSwirl

Erigu said:
I solo-ed them all?

I solo'd them all too, but it required A LOT of ammo drops which they grade you down for.

Erigu said:
I solo-ed them all?

Yeah so did I. It's all about managing ammo and health but it's definitely possible to do them on your own. You may have to grind out some better weapons but that's part of the game IMO.

TxdoHawk

RedSwirl said:

I always wondered why this was the case. Surely this would've been as simple as giving each boss a base health suitable for one person, and then applying a multiplier to it based on how many people are in the mission?

MercuryLS

Banned
Lothars said:
did you preorder it?

I am hoping that I can pickup mine right away.

I didn't know it existed until a few moments ago, after some googlefu it looks like gamestop.ca did offer it but it's sold out. They only have the X360 version in stock.

AwRy108

Erigu said:
I solo-ed them all?

Same experience. To be fair, a lot of the actual challenge came from trying to wrangle with the PSP controls during these high-action sequences. Also, much like the Megaman series, several of the bosses are easier if you figure out their "hidden" strategy rather than just attacking them with everything in your arsenal.

Phatcorns

Just played a bit of MGS2 for 360 and it plays VERY WELL. The controls are absolutely not an issue. It feels perfectly intuitive to bring up your gun using the left stick click. Not only that, you can always just pull out the gun without shooting it by holding X while in first person view, and then releasing to shoot.

If you're on the fence about controls, DO NOT WORRY. It plays just fine on the 360.

Checking on the image quality of MGS3 as per request right now.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Phatcorns said:
Just played a bit of MGS2 for 360 and it plays VERY WELL. The controls are absolutely not an issue. It feels perfectly intuitive to bring up your gun using the left stick click. Not only that, you can always just pull out the gun without shooting it by holding X while in first person view, and then releasing to shoot.

If you're on the fence about controls, DO NOT WORRY. It plays just fine on the 360.

Checking on the image quality of MGS3 as per request right now.
But to put your gun back down, you have to left click? Lol sorry no

Also, what about automatic weapons? Pretty sure they will fire instantly

Erigu

AwRy108 said:
To be fair, a lot of the actual challenge came from trying to wrangle with the PSP controls during these high-action sequences.
Definitely. I think I was just getting used to them during the
(not quite)
final boss fight.
I'm really looking forward to the new controls. I'd be interested to see how much of an impact they have on my results.

Phatcorns

Wario64 said:
But to put your gun back down, you have to left click? Lol sorry no

Honestly, if you can't handle clicking on the stick, I don't understand how you could possibly play any first person shooter. Have you ever had to think twice when zooming in with the sniper rifle in Halo? This is like such a non-issue to me that maybe it's just a testament to how good these games are that of all the problems this is what we discuss.

Top Bottom