• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

jsnepo

The IGN review has MGS3 in 60fps. It was glorious! One thing I noticed with MGS visuals is that they are often sharp except for Peace Walker of course. Even MGS3 on the PS2 looks very clear when used with component cables though there are some scenes with the annoying grainy filter. Same can be said with MGS4 which I still consider one of the great looking games of the PS3.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Phatcorns said:
Honestly, if you can't handle clicking on the stick, I don't understand how you could possibly play any first person shooter. Have you ever had to think twice when zooming in with the sniper rifle in Halo? This is like such a non-issue to me that maybe it's just a testament to how good these games are that of all the problems this is what we discuss.
MGS controls are already convoluted as it is with original controls. Adding a toggle just makes it even more. Plus it's on the left analog stick to make it more awkward

SamuraiX-

Phatcorns said:
Honestly, if you can't handle clicking on the stick, I don't understand how you could possibly play any first person shooter. Have you ever had to think twice when zooming in with the sniper rifle in Halo? This is like such a non-issue to me that maybe it's just a testament to how good these games are that of all the problems this is what we discuss.

What if you go in FPV, click the left-analog stick to raise your weapon, and then just get out of FPV instead of clicking it again? That should work, no?

Phatcorns

SamuraiX- said:
What if you go in FPV, click the left-analog stick to raise your weapon, and then just get out of FPV instead of clicking it again? That should work, no?

Yeah, if you just want to get out of first person view all you have to do is let go of the RB button. The left stick just controls whether your gun is up or not.

And as far as the click being on the left stick, it's the same in FPS's where the aiming stick being clicked zooms in your weapon. I know I keep comparing this to FPS's, which it certainly is not, but it's an apt comparison because it is second nature because of those games.

Phatcorns

burgerdog said:
Can you do me a favor and check the image quality of mgs3?

Not sure what I was supposed to be looking for, but looks excellent. No graininess and very sharp. Weird to see the game run in such a smooth framerate too.

Salaadin said:
Its full size and hardcover.
MGS-HD-LE-PS3-600x300.jpg

Wasnt this supposed to come with a code for PW PSP digital copy? I could swear that someone confirmed that.

Awesome so its a full 8x11 art book? Man now I have to find a store that has one in stock....(since Amazon is sold out)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I guess the clicking isn't that bad then, I'd just rather not deal with it though (and won't cause I'm not getting the X360 version)

BTW, someone put up the PS3 LE version on sale on Amazon for $159. Here we go...

This somehow completely fell off my radar. I just looked it up on Amazon and I must ask... Why does this not have MGS1? It's my favorite of the OG trilogy. This is disappointing.

B.K.

Wario64 said:
BTW, someone put up the PS3 LE version on sale on Amazon for $159. Here we go...

It's already listed on Ebay for over $100 too. The only one that doesn't have Buy It Now as an option has a bid for $99.95.

Yen

FlashFlooder said:
This somehow completely fell off my radar. I just looked it up on Amazon and I must ask... Why does this not have MGS1? It's my favorite of the OG trilogy. This is disappointing.
Too archaic. It's available on PSN store anyway.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
B.K. said:
It's already listed on Ebay for over $100 too. The only one that doesn't have Buy It Now as an option has a bid for $99.95.

Recent completed auctions went for $120

Wario64 said:
I guess the clicking isn't that bad then, I'd just rather not deal with it though (and won't cause I'm not getting the X360 version)

Well that sucks, I usually find the PS3 version of anything has higher prices then the 360 version. Especially collectors items, or RPG's and I know Amazon gives higher trade in values for PS3 versions of games then 360 usually by 2 to 5 bucks.

Erigu

Yenrot said:
Too archaic.
Not as much as the MSX2 games!

Eh, seems like a missed opportunity to me as well... I wouldn't have minded playing the Integral version with the Japanese voices, Konami!

Curufinwe

_dementia said:
prime ftw

I don't have Prime but I still get my stuff from Amazon quickly using FSSS. I got Batman Arkham City from them just two days after it was released.

zlatko said:
Like mentioned below there is a full blown versus MP component people passed over available in Peace Walker. 3v3 Metal Gear Online. :)

I need to get the PS3 version then since I don't have Gold. Thanks for the tip.

Hey guys, quick question. I've never played any MGS ever, and I don't want to start at MGS2, I'd like to start with the first in the series. Is it available on PSN or do you guys recommend playing it some other way?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
AgentOtaku said:
Got tired of waiting

Canceled Amazon order and went with Gamestop instead as they're still in-stock online

Are you trusting that instock online locator? I would never trust that thing

Unless you're just getting the reg edition. I don't think B&M stores received many LEs, even then you'd probably need to have it preordered

GrayFoxPL

AvidNobody said:
Hey guys, quick question. I've never played any MGS ever, and I don't want to start at MGS2, I'd like to start with the first in the series. Is it available on PSN or do you guys recommend playing it some other way?

Yeah it's on psn. My favorite still.

Voice acting is the best in the series, same with story. Playing the sequels you will see these points degraded, but you'll have more advanced gameplay.

B.K.

AvidNobody said:

Metal Gear Solid is on the PSN.

Ilúvatar

AvidNobody said:

If you have a backwards compatible PS3 or a PS2 lying around, you could pickup the PS2 MGS collection, which contains MGS, MGS2 and MGS3.

Yen

AvidNobody said:
Us veteran MGS players prefer the far superior Twin Snakes on the GC.

kotor22

I don't know if someone has posted about this, but when I booted up the game today, I had to update the game to 1.01. It's around 66MBs , not really sure what it is.

plc268

AvidNobody said:

Get the PS1 version off of PSN. It holds up well and is the best of the series (I know a lot think MGS3 is the best... but I completely disagree).

There's also the gamecube remake of MGS1, but truthfully it doesn't offer much more than updated graphics. There's some stupid changes there, and well quite frankly the PS1 version is just better.

Yenrot said:
Us veteran MGS players prefer the far superior Twin Snakes on the GC.

LOL.

Either way, it's the same core experience... so it doesn't matter as much as some make it out.

SamuraiX-

AvidNobody said:

At this point, probably getting it over PSN is the best way to go.

Good choice to start with MGS1. I think you'll appreciate the series much more if you go that route. It's probably my favorite MG game next to MGS2.

I hope you would also check out Metal Gear 1 and Metal Gear 2 available on the MGS3 component of the HD collection. Two classic titles that shouldn't be missed, and there's also plenty of backstory behind the main characters from those games, particularly MG2.

ctrayne

Yenrot said:
Even though it still stands the test of time and has aged well, they could not have a HD upscaling of 1.
PC version of MGS1 begs to differ. Looks great and doesn't suffer from the lack of a z-buffer that the PSX did. Would have really loved a 60 FPS MGS1.

SamuraiX-

So, to those who have the LE in their possession now, what are its dimensions?

I know the MGS4 LE measured like 7 in. x 6 in. Was hoping to fit it right next to that.

B.K.

SamuraiX- said:
So, to those who have the LE in their possession now, what are its dimensions?

I know the MGS4 LE measured like 7 in. x 6 in. Was hoping to fit it right next to that.

Just judging by pictures, it looks like it's a lot larger than the MGS4 box. Storing the LE is going to be a pain.

GringoJB

OK, so I go to pick up my (preordered on day 1, 100% paid off) copy of the PS3 LE at GameStop on my lunch break. Turns out that they only got one LE to fulfill preorders, and some other dude with a preorder got it last night at the midnight MW3 launch. I call 5 other stores around the area, and it's the same story: 1 copy, and it's to fulfill a preorder. They say that they're going to call me when/if the shipment containing my copy comes in... just thought I'd share my pain with other people that might be in the same boat.

Top Bottom