• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

SamuraiX-

GringoJB said:
OK, so I go to pick up my (preordered on day 1, 100% paid off) copy of the PS3 LE at GameStop on my lunch break. Turns out that they only got one LE to fulfill preorders, and some other dude with a preorder got it last night at the midnight MW3 launch. I call 5 other stores around the area, and it's the same story: 1 copy, and it's to fulfill a preorder. They say that they're going to call me when/if the shipment containing my copy comes in... just thought I'd share my pain with other people that might be in the same boat.

This is why I'm not even gonna try in-store pickup if I have to get it from GameStop.

Fucking twats, all of them.

creid

RedSwirl said:
To people playing Peace Walker for the first time: The boss fights are balanced for co-op.

Unless you try to take them out the stealth way, killing tanks and helicopters later on requires way more ammo than one player can carry on their own. So try to find three other players whenever you reach a boss.
It's important to mention that this applies mostly to the optional/postgame bosses. IIRC the story bosses are fine alone. The last boss might require some grinding though...

SamuraiX- said:
This is why I'm not even gonna try in-store pickup if I have to get it from GameStop.

Yeah, the in-store tracker counts anything in the inventory, even if set aside for reserves, as available stock, so it's unreliable for limited items.

Any latecomers to the LE on Gamestop can use the code KANG to drop the price by 10 bucks. Tax and shipping bring it back up, but it's better than getting nailed with tax and no coupon in store.

Yen

creid said:
It's important to mention that this applies mostly to the optional/postgame bosses. IIRC the story bosses are fine alone. The last boss might require some grinding though...
Yeah, in the main game the bosses are 2-4 skull difficulty but in Extra Ops they can be 6 skull difficulty.

GringoJB

SamuraiX- said:

Seriously. My usual strategy is that, if I want something really bad on Day One that I'm not sure will be plentiful in supply, I usually preorder at GS (especially since their big selling point about preordering is making sure that you have it the day that it comes out). I just figured that, maybe since they're the biggest game retailer in the country, maybe they'd have some pull with suppliers or they'd have a good handle on the supply chain or whatever and, worst case, let you know if something's not going to pan out. Apparently not...

Anyway, I'll post back if the stars align and my copy appears, just to set anyone else's GS-related fears at ease. In the meantime, Amazon at least *thinks* that it's going to have copies of the 360 LE to ship, so I hedged my bets and put in an order there, just in case... y'all might want to do the same?

Branson

Wow you guys really want the art book, huh? Lol. I'm hoping to find a regular copy today. GameStop near me already sold out of the PS3 version. ;(

GringoJB said:
Seriously. My usual strategy is that, if I want something really bad on Day One that I'm not sure will be plentiful in supply, I usually preorder at GS (especially since their big selling point about preordering is making sure that you have it the day that it comes out). I just figured that, maybe since they're the biggest game retailer in the country, maybe they'd have some pull with suppliers or they'd have a good handle on the supply chain or whatever and, worst case, let you know if something's not going to pan out. Apparently not...

Anyway, I'll post back if the stars align and my copy appears, just to set anyone else's GS-related fears at ease. In the meantime, Amazon at least *thinks* that it's going to have copies of the 360 LE to ship, so I hedged my bets and put in an order there, just in case... y'all might want to do the same?

I never buy from GS, except when (like this) I don't preorder because I need to know more first. That said every GS I called in my area got a very small number of them and most were preordered. Either they held stock for online orders or they really just did not make many of these. I have one on hold at Game Trader.

GringoJB

TheBanditKing said:
I never buy from GS, except when (like this) I don't preorder because I need to know more first. That said every GS I called in my area got a very small number of them and most were preordered. Either they held stock for online orders or they really just did not make many of these. I have one on hold at Game Trader.

Yeah, it's sheer craziness. Just an update on the GS situation: If your store doesn't have your preordered copy in stock, have them call around, or have them print you off a list of stores and phone numbers that have the SKU, which is what I did. I *finally* got ahold of a manager at another store across town that is going to deliver their copy over to my local store tonight for me to pick up! So if you all find yourself in a situation that resembled mine this afternoon, keep trying...

RedSwirl

TxdoHawk said:
I always wondered why this was the case. Surely this would've been as simple as giving each boss a base health suitable for one person, and then applying a multiplier to it based on how many people are in the mission?

In a lot of ways Peace Walker was an attempt for Metal Gear to grab onto the Monster Hunter craze in Japan. Looking back at the fact that you can grind for stuff, build an army with stats, and damage counters appear when you hit enemies, I'm kind of surprised this game isn't considered an Action RPG. It sort of is.

SamuraiX-

letsbereasonable said:
Any latecomers to the LE on Gamestop can use the code KANG to drop the price by 10 bucks. Tax and shipping bring it back up, but it's better than getting nailed with tax and no coupon in store.

This is awesome! Thanks so much.

Details:
Coupon KANG - $10 off in-stock purchases of $69.99 or more. Excludes consoles, bundles, DLC, select PC products and Gift Cards. Online only. May not be combined with other offers. Expires 11/15/11.

The tax does cut the savings in half, but GameStop is doing some promotion where it's free shipping for anything going for over $20.

Lesiroth

So is this gonna be available digitally on any platform, 360 or PS3? None of the stores in my city are planning on having this, and I really want to play MGS3 :(

Desmond

Lesiroth said:
So is this gonna be available digitally on any platform, 360 or PS3? None of the stores in my city are planning on having this, and I really want to play MGS3 :(
DD outside of Japan isn't confirmed yet

Lesiroth said:
nobody in this forum are able to answer this question,

they are babbling about LE copies all day long but are not able to answer this question

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
gutter_trash said:
nobody in this forum are able to answer this question,

they are babbling about LE copies all day long but are not able to answer this question

Because it's been answered.

Yes it will, that's all we know

Yanksfan

Lesiroth said:

My understanding is that it will be on PSN, as most HD collections are. That is just I have heard from message board discussion, so hardly a confirmation.

Edit, here is a link stating that it will be in 2012:

http://www.co-optimus.com/article/7...ar-solid-hd-videos-under-a-cardboard-box.html

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/2...tion-also-coming-to-psn-and-xbox-live-arcade/

Yanksfan

nismogrendel said:
I really hope a game where you play as The Boss during WW2 is made in the future. I think that could be awesome.

I don't see it happening, but I can't say I wouldn't love to play it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Not my pic, from a Twitter follower (Kale_Mustang)

EyQZY.jpg

Bebpo

Banned
I haven't read this whole thread yet, but what's the deal with the PS3 LE and Amazon? I pre-ordered it once it went up after the GAF thread mentioned it, and it never shipped (has a delivery estimate of next week) and Amazon seems sold out of it. Did they not get any LEs? Or did they over pre-order on them?

Wondering if I should cancel it and pick up the regular version.

Bebpo said:
I haven't read this whole thread yet, but what's the deal with the PS3 LE and Amazon? I pre-ordered it once it went up after the GAF thread mentioned it, and it never shipped (has a delivery estimate of next week) and Amazon seems sold out of it. Did they not get any LEs? Or did they over pre-order on them?

Wondering if I should cancel it and pick up the regular version.

I was in the same boat and just gave up and order it from Gamestop instead.

wwm0nkey

Versus Ops works very very smoothly.

Really wish they would make MGO a standalone experience, get rid of the Konami ID thing and release it on XBLA and PSN though.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Any impressions from the artbook? I'm wondering if its a whole new book or just using the pages from the previous artbooks.

SamuraiX- said:
This is awesome! Thanks so much.

Details:

The tax does cut the savings in half, but GameStop is doing some promotion where it's free shipping for anything going for over $20.

I'm not seeing that? How do you get it? Shows $2.99 shipping for me (for the worst shipping)

SamuraiX-

Digital-Hero said:
Just picked up my MGS HD LE and Modern Warfare 3. I was shocked at the size as well.

That may very well not even fit on my shelf where I keep the rest of my games (10in. in height).

Like the other guy said, it's gonna be a pain in the ass to store. :(

MikeE21286 said:
I'm not seeing that? How do you get it? Shows $2.99 shipping for me (for the worst shipping)

Weird...

I was looking at it yesterday and it was giving me $0.00 for standard shipping.

Maybe the two promotions don't stack? :-/

Probably worth it more to use the code regardless since that basically lets you indirectly bypass the sales tax.

SamuraiX-

CloakedPuppet said:
Ah HA! Looking forward to tonight!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9vypQm1vvTU/TrmJdeZGq8I/AAAAAAAACIY/OfMyxYQrWkE/s640/1000000288.JPG[IMG][/QUOTE]

Are you at least gonna buy her dinner first?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Ugh, the gametrailers review for this was really biased towards MGS3.

"The gameplay is the most refined of the three."

"MGS3 easily has the best story."

Top Bottom