• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Salaadin

The artbook is gorgeous. Ive been perodically paging thru it all day. I love Shinkawa artwork and its nice to have some from PW.

Sub_Level said:
Ugh, the gametrailers review for this was really biased towards MGS3.

"The gameplay is the most refined of the three."

"MGS3 easily has the best story."

MGS3 with the better control options of PW would be the greatest game ever created.
For the most part, I agree with GT. MGS3 is on equal level with MGS1 to me.

Desmond

Sub_Level said:

I know, 2 is obviously the best

Yanksfan

Is there a strategy guide released for this? I am not seeing one on Amazon or GS. I normally get the guide to keep along with the game for MGS.

Sub_Level said:

I actually like the original the best. Part 2 jumped the shark, especially with all those codec transmissions at the end. It's a mess but that is MGS in general.

Desmond

Yanksfan said:
Is there a strategy guide released for this? I am not seeing one on Amazon or GS. I normally get the guide to keep along with the game for MGS.
I haven't heard of one, the original ones for 2/3/5 will probably be fine

Digital-Hero said:
I actually like the original the best. Part 2 jumped the shark, especially with all those codec transmissions at the end.
Genius

Scissors!61

Yen

RedSwirl said:
I had an idea last night: A steampunk model of Metal Gear in the American Civil War. Yeah.
Starring Otacon's great-great-great-great grandfather as a nerdy inventor with a weak bladder.

SamuraiX-

Sub_Level said:

I get annoyed when people overglorify MGS3, but they're pretty much right about the gameplay. MGS4 obviously has the best gameplay mechanics, but it's not included in the collection.

The story for MGS3 is cool and all, but besides Snake, The Boss, and Ocelot, the rest of the characters were a pretty terrible drag compared to the characters in MGS1 and MGS2, which made the story not on the same level for me.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Digital-Hero said:
The Artbook

Man, it looks great. How about any other material like interviews, picture comments, etc? I recall all the artbooks at least got some commentary and interviews with Shinkawa & co.

Digital-Hero said:
I actually like the original the best. Part 2 jumped the shark, especially with all those codec transmissions at the end. It's a mess but that is MGS in general.
Yeah, that 4th wall breaking part that blew my mind really sucked.

bernardobri said:
Man, it looks great. How about any other material like interviews, picture comments, etc? I recall all the artbooks at least got some commentary and interviews with Shinkawa & co.

It contains mostly artwork with a few character summaries. That is all.

i_am_not_jon_ames said:
Yeah, that 4th wall breaking part that blew my mind really sucked.

It was done better in the original MGS and didn't beat the player upside the head with it. We got a "Check the CD case for the codec frequency" and some Psycho Mantis stuff with him reading your memory card data for other Konami games.

LiK

Sub_Level said:

They're totally right.

Yanksfan

Desmond said:
I haven't heard of one, the original ones for 2/3/5 will probably be fine

I am sure they will be fine for use, yes. I was more inquiring for the insane part of me that wants to have a guide for every MGS game. :D

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Digital-Hero said:
It contains mostly artwork with a few character summaries. That is all.

Oh, I see. Thanks for the info. If there's any stock in the local shops I'll try to buy it...

Snaku

Banned
Shot an email at Amazon asking when they expect to get the next shipment in to fulfill pre-orders. Hoping for some good news. =/

Desmond said:
Thinking back it was brillant, had me confused as a kid

Brilliant is Pyscho Mantis saying, "So you like Castlevania don't you?". I was an adult when MGS2 came out and I still thought the transmissions were lame.

Woww, I'm amazed how bad the facial animation is in MGS2. I remember it being perfect... damn we've come so far. Yet are spoiled as ever.

IF this included Twin Snakes I'd be all over it. Ill just wait for a price drop.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Darknessbear said:
Woww, I'm amazed how bad the facial animation is in MGS2. I remember it being perfect... damn we've come so far. Yet are spoiled as ever.

IF this included Twin Snakes I'd be all over it. Ill just wait for a price drop.

If it included Twin Snakes, I would have waited for a price drop

The artbook is really nice. Great quality printing and paper.
1000000289.JPG

1000000290.JPG

1000000291.JPG

fuck is up with my LE from amazon, it still says shipping soon

i placed my order for it on september 30th god dammit, they better not screw me over

Sky Chief

Sub_Level said:

They are very wrong on both points.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
So fucking pissed. I have two EBs in my city and both are retarded. The one I preordered at don't know what I'm talking about and they don't know where their shipment is while the other never had it for preorder yet all the LEs are reserved.

I fucking hate EB so much. I wish I could've got it from Amazon or somewhere else but I'm in Canada.

FUCK!

Yen

Pai Pai Master said:
Don't play Peace Walker.
Play Peace Walker until the end of the Fourth Act, then snap for disc in half and run away. Although some plot points (the plot point) before that are typical Kojima.

The opening monologue in PW by that guy that voiced
Big Boss
in MGS4 was badass. Just remembered this randomly...
"Nuclear Deterrence..."

omgkitty

FUUU I really need that damn LE now. I cancelled last night and now when I go to cancel my regular edition preoder, Amazon won't let me. Bastards! Order off Gamestop.com and return the other or what? DECISIONS!!!

PeaceWalker is easily my favorite of the series, and this is coming from a guy who legitimately enjoyed every main game in the franchise.

Content, Nice Story, No superhumans, and cool new characters and dialogue. Loved it.

My extremely rudimentary stock checking methods (putting 999 items in the cart), shows that GS.com has about 30 copies of the PS3 LE left, so jump while you can if interested.

There were 600+ X360 versions still in inventory...

master15

Metal Gear Solid 4 left such a bad taste in my mouth, I don't know if I should jump into this collection at all.

As a child, Metal Gear Solid 2 absolutely blew me away. As a cinema fan I was gobsmacked by the title's presentation and voice-acting and despite the kooky storyline and more melodrama than a day-time soap, there was a lot to like. I haven't touched the title since completing it and I am afraid if I dare replay it now, I might find it as offensively bad as sitting through Metal Gear Solid 4.

The only appealing title for me is Snake Eater. I love jungle themed games and the title often gets unanimous praise. Still a year or two ago I did end up watching the games cut-scenes on Vimeo. Am I liable to find something I like here still?

Marvie_3

Banned
master15 said:
Metal Gear Solid 4 left such a bad taste in my mouth, I don't know if I should jump into this collection at all.

As a child, Metal Gear Solid 2 absolutely blew me away. As a cinema fan I was gobsmacked by the title's presentation and voice-acting and despite the kooky storyline and more melodrama than a day-time soap, there was a lot to like. I haven't touched the title since completing it and I am afraid if I dare replay it now, I might find it as offensively bad as sitting through Metal Gear Solid 4.

The only appealing title for me is Snake Eater. I love jungle themed games and the title often gets unanimous praise. Still a year or two ago I did end up watching the games cut-scenes on Vimeo. Am I liable to find something I like here still?
Yes.

master15 said:

Peace Walker is an overlooked gem. Its story is actually coherent as far as metal gear goes and it has (difficult but) fun gameplay and collection aspects.

letsbereasonable said:
My extremely rudimentary stock checking methods (putting 999 items in the cart), shows that GS.com has about 30 copies of the PS3 LE left, so jump while you can if interested.

Haha damn.

Yen

BannedEpisode said:
PeaceWalker is easily my favorite of the series, and this is coming from a guy who legitimately enjoyed every main game in the franchise.

Content, Nice Story, No superhumans, and cool new characters and dialogue. Loved it.
It was my GOTY 2010, and I think I stand by that, even though I have played RDR and Bayonetta since. The only thing that soured it was
Paz turning evil, Miller being a bit evil as well. Wasn't too upset with the Boss business.
. Sunk 100 hours in. Didn't get to play COOPs either.

Desmond

letsbereasonable said:

Christ haha. Wonder how much ZOE will ship on 360 (or PS3 for that matter)?

Yenrot said:
Play Peace Walker until the end of the Fourth Act, then snap for disc in half and run away. Although some plot points (the plot point) before that are typical Kojima.

The opening monologue in PW by that guy that voiced
Big Boss
in MGS4 was badass. Just remembered this randomly...
"Nuclear Deterrence..."

Yeah, after that original trailer I was hoping SO hard they'd use him instead of Hayter. Such a disappointment.

I'm shocked Konami didn't do a $4.99 sale for MGS PSN this week or something. Pretty stupid of them, but I guess they figured plenty of people will be buying it anyways in anticipation of the HD Collection.

Top Bottom