• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Ridley327

TemplaerDude said:
I've played about an hour of Peace Walker and I am LOVING it. Seems like an incredibly solid game with an awesome story. Very excited to pick it back up after work.
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Arklite

Ridley327 said:
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Perhaps the story dips into ridiculous territory, but the stuff concerning the building of mother base, expansion of MSF, the plan for nuclear deterrence, and the whole 'revolutionary' vibe is done well and as always the characters are very well acted.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Arklite said:
Perhaps the story dips into ridiculous territory, but the stuff concerning the building of mother base, expansion of MSF, the plan for nuclear deterrence, and the whole 'revolutionary' vibe is done well and as always the characters are very well acted.

That stuff isn't really developed more than it is in the initial trailers

that kind of holds true for a majority of the cast as well

Ridley327

TemplaerDude said:
Well, by awesome I mean the kind of ridiculous Metal Gear shit I'm looking for.
This game, perhaps even more than MGS4, will break the limits of your tolerance for "ridiculous Metal Gear shit."

Arklite

Retro_ said:
That stuff isn't really developed more than it is in the initial trailers

that kind of holds true for a majority of the cast as well
I would disagree, but I didn't really watch the trailers either. I don't know if they explained the reasons for Peace Walkers existence or Big Boss' reasons for creating MSF, or laid out the storyline flat out. That seems like too much for a trailer.

Ridley327

Big Papa Husker said:
Anyone's LE ship from Amazon today? Has anyone done an Amazon chat and ask them what is going on?
Here's what Amazon sent me in an email on the subject:

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear your order hasn't shipped yet.

However, I can confirm that we still expect to ship your order in time to be delivered to you by November 10.

We'll send you an e-mail when your order is shipped with your tracking number. Your order could ship any time between now and right before the estimated delivery date.

My cup runneth over with liquid confidence.

LiK

Arklite said:

that's like in every game :D

Arklite

LiK said:
that's like in every game :D
For sure, which is why I thought it was odd when some fans decided PW had gone beyond the threshold of plot believability when the franchise is so far beyond it.

B.K.

Ridley327 said:
This game, perhaps even more than MGS4, will break the limits of your tolerance for "ridiculous Metal Gear shit."

Metal Gear Solid is like 24. The more over the top it is, the better it is.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Arklite said:
For sure, which is why I thought it was odd when some fans decided PW had gone beyond the threshold of plot believability when the franchise is so far beyond it.
I pretty much lost all interest in the story when he decides to help some girl that he doesn't know anything about because her name is Peace

Ridley327

Arklite said:
For sure, which is why I thought it was odd when some fans decided PW had gone beyond some threshold of plot believability when the franchise is so far beyond it.
Well,
finding a way to ruin the Boss while trying to feel bad for a giant robot drowning itself
is pretty goddamn bad in of itself, but then the big twist in act 5 happens and it makes you long for in-combat marriage proposals or giant Metal Gear Ray carriers with Mt. Snakemore on the side.

Infinite Justice said:
Never understood the hate for the over the top stuff, thats what the MGS series is all about (yes even Twin Snakes)
It's not so much the over the top stuff as games like bayonetta and vanquish are kinda out there and still beloved. It's the self seriousness of it all along with the terrible writing and the length of the cutscenes that makes them unbearable, especially in mgs4. I haven't played PW so I dunno what the deal is there.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Freedom = $1.05 said:
It's not so much the over the top stuff as games like bayonetta and vanquish are kinda out there and still beloved. It's the self seriousness of it all along with the terrible writing and the length of the cutscenes that makes them unbearable, especially in mgs4. I haven't played PW so I dunno what the deal is there.

Same shit

Just with a new story that doesn't really go anywhere and a huge cast of characters that don't really do anything

Arklite

zoner said:
I pretty much lost all interest in the story when he decides to help some girl that he doesn't know anything about because her name is Peace
Also because they were offered an offshore facility and also iirc they had the suspicion that the US was involved which interested Big Boss.

Ridley327 said:
Well,
finding a way to ruin the Boss while trying to feel bad for a giant robot drowning itself
is pretty goddamn bad in of itself, but then the big twist in act 5 happens and it makes you long for in-combat marriage proposals or giant Metal Gear Ray carriers with Mt. Snakemore on the side.
The part you spoiler tagged never bothered me, but I know people hate that. I won't argue against strong feelings towards characters. However, the tie-ins with nuclear deterrence and the creation of what would become the stage for Metal Gear made the story worth playing for me.

Eusis

Infinite Justice said:
Never understood the hate for the over the top stuff, thats what the MGS series is all about (yes even Twin Snakes)
I think part of it is the fact they've TRIED to construct a continuity between games that had nothing planned ahead of time for sequels. Even when a billion hooks are left behind. I really liked MGS1 and 3, and even 2, but 4 was when they made the Jenga tower they constructed completely fall apart. I think if these were more a series of stand alone adventures that kept the craziness it'd be more likeable.

Looks like Amazon shipped my order but I'll have more than likely wait until the 17th to play it since it's the estimated date of arrival for my order. Skyrim should keep me occupied until then.

Ridley327

Mothman91 said:
How do I kiss a poster??
IIRC, you simply go into first person while staring at it; it should be a contextual thing where Snake goes up to it when you press the button.

I think this needs to be done outside of the locker.

Kinda pisses me off that UPS missed my order today. It was listed as arriving on the 9th. Especially sucks because I had the whole day off. Anything that even remotely sounded like a UPS truck made me think it had arrived. Oh well, tomorrow it is.

RedSwirl

SNAKE EATEEEERRRR!

Man it's been so long since I heard that. I'd also forgotten that the intro section of MGS3 is more cut scene than game.

Ridley327

RedSwirl said:
SNAKE EATEEEERRRR!

Man it's been so long since I heard that. I'd also forgotten that the intro section of MGS3 is more cut scene than game.
I've never been a big fan of the Virtuous Mission sequence for that reason. It's a tutorial that doesn't really give you a whole lot to do besides watch cutscenes and get introduced to most of the rest of the cast. Thankfully, it improves a thousandfold from there.

Ridley327

zoner said:
Does difficulty scale between single and co-op on Peace Walker?
Just for the boss and vehicle battles, and there's some quirks to that as well since the way they handle difficulty scaling for the vehicle battles is really dumb.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
And second question, the whole 'looting guys'. I know 3 times wakes them up. If I just do it 2 times, do they just get up earlier? And what's to stop me from doing it three times and then slamming them again?

Ridley327

zoner said:
And second question, the whole 'looting guys'. I know 3 times wakes them up. If I just do it 2 times, do they just get up earlier? And what's to stop me from doing it three times and then slamming them again?
They run out of items after the third time.

Ridley327

That sucks to hear about Peace Walker not offering that option; that's a really handy thing to have and makes me wonder why no one thought of it before.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
burgerdog said:
That's what happens when Konami handles one of the ports.
Doubt it, but maybe it's because the 360 version has Peace Walker on a separate disc and they forgot PS3's was all on one? Who knows.

B.K.

zoner said:
Doubt it, but maybe it's because the 360 version has Peace Walker on a separate disc and they forgot PS3's was all on one? Who knows.

It's probably because in Japan, Peace Walker is getting its own release as a separate game. They were forced to bundle it with 2 and 3 in America.

ryan-ts

B.K. said:
Metal Gear Solid is like 24. The more over the top it is, the better it is.

I'll assume you prefer the cutscenes in Twin Snakes to the original then. Honestly, it so damn annoying when people say "Oh Solid Snake-san could never jump on a missile, he's just not capable of such a feat" and then go on and on about how much they like the over the top nature of the MGS story. Can't have it both ways people, I refuse!

Arklite said:
Geeze... I loved Peace Walker; plot-wise, it's no where near as batshit insane as MGS4, imho... 'course, I love MGS4 too, despite its over-abundance of crazy!

Started playing MGS2 tonight for the first time in years, but I'm too tired... I'll have to leave it until tomorrow and the weekend...

Arklite

ryan-ts said:
I'll assume you prefer the cutscenes in Twin Snakes to the original then. Honestly, it so damn annoying when people say "Oh Solid Snake-san could never jump on a missile, he's just not capable of such a feat" and then go on and on about how much they like the over the top nature of the MGS story. Can't have it both ways people, I refuse!
Part of the issue lies in character consistency. Look at the new DmC and the new Max Payne character designs and all the complaints they've brought. Same concept, but the issue here concerns Snake's actions rather than design. They deviated from an established persona, fan expectations were not met, people bitched. Happened with Raiden. People expected to play as hardened legendary soldier and got a "pretty boy" with girlfriend issues instead. In Twin Snakes people expected a faithful remake, an upgraded MGS, and then they tweaked something too far.

ryan-ts

Arklite said:
Part of the issue lies in character consistency. Look at the new DmC and the new Max Payne character designs and all the complaints they've brought. Same concept, but the issue here concerns Snake's actions rather than design. They deviated from an established persona, fan expectations were not met, people bitched. Happened with Raiden. People expected to play as hardened legendary soldier and got a "pretty boy" with girlfriend issues instead. In Twin Snakes people expected a faithful remake, an upgraded MGS, and then they tweaked something too far.

I don't buy character consistency as a valid argument when it comes to Snake though. In terms of his personality, he changes himself like every 5 seconds during the course of MGS1. Then in terms of his abilities, he's able to take down the best soldiers in the world, a HIND D!, a tank and finally a laser equipped super machine with the ability to launch a nuke. Kojima likely just forgot to add the missile jumping the first time around.

Top Bottom