• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Arklite

ryan-ts said:
I don't buy character consistency as a valid argument when it comes to Snake though. In terms of his personality, he changes himself like every 5 seconds during the course of MGS1. Then in terms of his abilities, he's able to take down the best soldiers in the world, a HIND D!, a tank and finally a laser equipped super machine with the ability to launch a nuke. Kojima likely just forgot to add the missile jumping the first time around.
I don't remember him changing drastically in MGS1 scene to scene, and he took down all that stuff while standing on the ground and using military hardware. Actually, taking down tanks and helicopters happens in every other video game. Anyways, he's more like Dante than "Snake" in Twin Snakes.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Uhh...shooting the flying vehicle dudes in MGS3 with a tranquilizer doesn't count as a kill, right? I just shot them with the mk22 and they fell and exploded....shit. I'm doing the no kill run right now

Edit: Ah fuck, doesn't matter now. Just TNT'd a supplies base and a sleeping soldier got caught in the blast. Fucking a. No run kill next time I guess.

SamuraiX-

Wario64 said:
Uhh...shooting the flying vehicle dudes in MGS3 with a tranquilizer doesn't count as a kill, right? I just shot them with the mk22 and they fell and exploded....shit. I'm doing the no kill run right now

Nope. You're good.

The following do not count as kills in MGS3:
- Giving enemies poisonous foods and causing them to die from food poisoning
- Tranquilizing enemies on hover platforms and causing them to crash
- Tranquilizing enemies on motorcycles and causing them to crash
- Killing any kind of animal
- Killing enemies by means of an exploding oil drum (No, I'm not kidding)

ryan-ts

Arklite said:
I don't remember him changing drastically in MGS1 scene to scene, and he took down all that stuff while standing on the ground and using military hardware. Actually, taking down tanks and helicopters happens in every other video game. Anyways, he's more like Dante than "Snake" in Twin Snakes.

Well let's see...Snake starts off as a ladies man (abandons this about 30 minutes in), turns into a grizzled vet who believes everyone is full of shit, turns into a slightly considerate man, goes back to being a grizzled vet, turns into a man who can love a woman he met 2 hours ago, turns into a cry baby who longer believes in war, turns into a philosopher and finally turns into a man who falls in love a woman he met 6 hours ago and now wants to settle down with.

Basically it goes
Not Crazy
Kind of Crazy
Not Crazy
Kind of Crazy
Crazy
Kind of Crazy
Crazy
Batshit Insane

Also, you need to be amazing to do what Snake did. Coordinated to the point that you could jump onto a missile.

Arklite

ryan-ts said:
Batshit Insane
I'll take your word for it if you played recently, because I just remember Snake being pretty cut and dry outside of scenes concerning deaths or responding to Otacon's questions.

ryan-ts said:
Also, you need to be amazing to do what Snake did. Coordinated to the point that you could jump onto a missile.
That's Twin Snakes take. The craziest thing I remember MGS1 Snake doing was dodging Ocelot's first bullet out of intuition by jumping out of the way. Without flips.

Ridley327

lancerotomy said:
hopefully getting this within the next couple of days. any hangups/concerns related to the transfarring process?
The only major thing appears to be the restrictions on trophies for save files not started on that particular PS3; other than that, it's painless.

I'm having a lot of trouble on the first tank boss in MGS1 (yes, the SECOND boss).
There are only two spots for cover on each side of the field, which suck ass, and my grenades usually fly past the cockpit. I waste so many grenades that the chaff grenades wear off and I get pwned by the main gun. I need to know how to defeat this bastard as quickly as possible.

JohngPR

I get mine tomorrow. Can't wait to see Olga's glorious arm pit hair in HD.

2d-yellow-smiley-heart-eyes.gif

The Stealth Fox

People hate
Boss' being converted into an AI
, yet they like stupid garbage like
Otacon having sex with his step mom, Emma Emmerich, and defend statements like "I LIVE ON THROUGH THIS ARM", and "Fortune" magically waving missiles away

I don't care what you do to try and convince me, but the story went into insane territory after 2. Peace Walker is tame by comparison.

Ridley327

polyh3dron said:
omg a HD version of ZOE2 of this caliber with the anime scenes remastered in HD would be one of the most amazing things ever
Well, you should brace yourself for impact then, because that's what it's looking to be.

A shame you have to buy ZOE1 with it.

So surprised to hear the UPS man knocking at the door at 6:45PM with my game. I don't even want to think of how many hours I am going to spend on these games. Will probably try and platinum them too. Although I have never really given a damn about trophies. They will encourage me to do stuff I have never done before in this game.

ChoklitReign said:
I'm having a lot of trouble on the first tank boss in MGS1 (yes, the SECOND boss).
There are only two spots for cover on each side of the field, which suck ass, and my grenades usually fly past the cockpit. I waste so many grenades that the chaff grenades wear off and I get pwned by the main gun. I need to know how to defeat this bastard as quickly as possible.
Basically, I just throw a chaff grenade, then throw a real grenade on top of the tank, then throw another chaff grenade, then a real grenade onto the tank... repeat until victory... I never hide or look for cover, just run around the tank dodging and tossing grenades... I've been doing it this way since 1998.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
GrumpyAlien said:
So surprised to hear the UPS man knocking at the door at 6:45PM with my game. I don't even want to think of how many hours I am going to spend on these games. Will probably try and platinum them too. Although I have never really given a damn about trophies. They will encourage me to do stuff I have never done before in this game.

Thanks to trophies, I'm hunting and eating every single animal I can find

burgerdog

Ridley327 said:
Are you playing at 720p or 1080p?
Have my ps3 set to 1080p and 720p. So far both mgs3 and pw output at 720p(I assume that msg2 will do the same.) I didn't notice a single tear in the five hours that I've put into mgs3, however.

I like that even though Konami didn't redo any in-game assets you can tell they didn't just slap this together from the FMV intro sequences alone. They've been upscaled and have had some HD graphics overlayed in a few parts which helps mask that it really is just upscaled SD videos.

Only thing that kinda looks bad to me is the MGS2 intro bridge sequence which cuts back and forth between slow motion and 60FPS... they probably should have limited it to 30 FPS until the title card.

RedSwirl

Gonna have to give up on a no kill run for mGS3. The CQC system is way too finicky. Having the difference in button pressure separate a knockout from a kill was one of the worst ideas ever.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
YES, my 360 LE will be here tomorrow! I ordered late and it wasn't estimated to arrive until next week, but I just got a surprise shipping e-mail. How lovely.

Still hasn't shipped with Amazon. I called my local Gamestops and they all say they don't have any that I can buy, because they are preordered copies. Upon asking how long they hold them, they said "until they pick them up because they put money down". I questioned them why they aren't following their website that says you have 48 hours to pick it up and that I would give them the money NOW and they had some smart ass remark. SHIP ME MY GAME AMAZON!

tenz0r

I couldn't find any info in the OP (unless I missed it), and don't really feel like going through each page to see if anyone asked, but does the PS3 version come with a PSN code for Metal Gear Sold 1?

Gotta love it! I am in a chat on Amazon and they said "Sorry, but the item is out of stock". How and the hell are they out of stock, especially for someone who preordered?!

incredible-hulk-20070910014344353-000.jpg

EDIT: They actually told me "it's available from other sellers". The point is that I preordered and I don't have my copy. WTF?!

Big Papa Husker said:
Gotta love it! I am in a chat on Amazon and they said "Sorry, but the item is out of stock". How and the hell are they out of stock, especially for someone who preordered?!

incredible-hulk-20070910014344353-000.jpg

EDIT: They actually told me "it's available from other sellers". The point is that I preordered and I don't have my copy. WTF?!
Either Konami didn't send out enough copies or Retailers didn't want that many copies because they wanted to focus on MW3... whatever the case though, I think MGS HD probably has more demand than someone in the chain of retail anticipated... at least at certain retailers.

The Amazon guy is telling me that a pre-order only means I will pay the price I "locked in" at the time of the order and it doesn't mean I reserved it. What a load of crap.

chifanpoe

Ridley327 said:
Are you playing at 720p or 1080p?

I don't think they output 1080p on the PS3 i tried on all 3 and they all went to 720p. Turning 720p mode off on my ps3 and only have 1080p selected made them output at 480p.

SiteSeer

Big Papa Husker said:
The Amazon guy is telling me that a pre-order only means I will pay the price I "locked in" at the time of the order and it doesn't mean I reserved it. What a load of crap.
when did you put in the pre order?

burgerdog

tenz0r said:
I couldn't find any info in the OP (unless I missed it), and don't really feel like going through each page to see if anyone asked, but does the PS3 version come with a PSN code for Metal Gear Sold 1?
No. That's only for the Japanese release.

Any 360 owners able to confirm if that version also has tearing?
edit - talking about peace walker.

chifanpoe

burgerdog said:
No. That's only for the Japanese release.

Any 360 owners able to confirm if that version also has tearing?

I have been playing on the PS3 about 10 hours total across all 3 games at 720p and have seen zero tearing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My Gamestop had like 3 PS3 CEs preordered 1 360 CE preordered and like two extras
The Toys R Us didn't even get the game in

Big Papa Husker said:
October 29th.

I think it's probably safe to say that those who ordered late, such as you and I, are fucked. I don't do a lot of transactions with Amazon since I save more money with K-Mart when it comes to games, and I'll certainly be hesitant to give them any more business in the future after this fucking fiasco. I'll give them another business day, but after that, vanilla edition here I come. I just want to play at this point.

SoulClap

BAHAHAHHAHAH just got the
Snake Beater
trophy. I didn't think it was remotely possible for me to like MGS 2 more than 3 but this might have pushed me over the edge. Greatest trophy/achievement of all time?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
whalleywhat said:
Holy shit, obscene amount of compression on one of the little 'cure' movies.

So it wasn't just me. For a second I thought it was playing a movie in vivo/rm format or something.

leng jai

Big Papa Husker said:

The fuck is this?

RedSwirl

Jesus Christ MGS3 looks so clean.

I'm probably gonna sample a bit of Peace Walker tomorrow, then come back and finish MGS3 if for no other reason than fighting The Boss. I might give 2 another shot somewhere down the road.

burgerdog

chifanpoe said:
I have been playing on the PS3 about 10 hours total across all 3 games at 720p and have seen zero tearing.
Like I said, mgs2 and 3 don't tear. Peace Walker definitely does, you just haven't noticed it or have overscan on your tv.

feel

benzy said:
Never played Subsistence so the full 3D camera control is an awesome addition.

http://www.abload.de/img/a1lf4vy.jpg[img]

[img]http://www.abload.de/img/a7sq77b.jpg[img]

[img]http://www.abload.de/img/a4070kv.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
MGS3...

:_)

Top Bottom