• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Leshita said:
Looks like the their continued partnership with Play Arts next year will not be limited to MGS1 Snake and Grey Fox (Meryl was also announced)... here comes Solidus (with detachable tentacles)!
Solidus' beard was lighter than Big Boss', right? That hair looks so fucking awesome. Is there a date set for these?

It's so nice to hear the Metal Gear theme again in all its glory. MGS2 looks great and I spent several hours messing around with Snake Tales and VR Missions. Peace Walker feels different from MGS4/MGO controls, but it's pretty similar and far more comfortable thanks to the second analog stick. I'm not a fan of the comic-style cutscenes, though. Also, I forgot about the product-placement in Peace Walker, and I know that Sony Walkman is only the beginning.

Ridley327

RadioHeadAche said:
It's so nice to hear the Metal Gear theme again in all its glory. MGS2 looks great and I spent several hours messing around with Snake Tales and VR Missions. Peace Walker feels different from MGS4/MGO controls, but it's pretty similar and far more comfortable thanks to the second analog stick. I'm not a fan of the comic-style cutscenes, though. Also, I forgot about the product-placement in Peace Walker, and I know that Sony Walkman is only the beginning.
That's the end of it, actually; they removed all of the other product placement items for the international release and stuck them with ultra-generic descriptions.

SamuraiX-

Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, oh shit!

Got my shipping confirmation from GameStop! And apparently it's gonna be here by Tuesday.

Wow. Good shit. Well, the case isn't closed for me until I have it in my hands, but I was expecting a "we had to cancel your pre-order and send you the regular edition" email. lol

Damn, can't wait. :D

Ridley327 said:
That's the end of it, actually; they removed all of the other product placement items for the international release and stuck them with ultra-generic descriptions.

Oh well.

I'm surprised the McFarlane Toys boxes are still in MGS2.

Colocho

Banned
Ridley327 said:
I know it's probably been said already, but what name does the Sony Walkman get on the 360 version?

Leshita said:
Looks like the their continued partnership with Play Arts next year will not be limited to MGS1 Snake and Grey Fox (Meryl was also announced)... here comes Solidus (with detachable tentacles)!

That looks pretty nice. I kind of want a Solidus figure ever since I saw that trading figure. His armor is just so cool.

Ridley327

Colocho said:
I know it's probably been said already, but what name does the Sony Walkman get on the 360 version?
That's a good question, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't change it at all; MS doesn't have a product that competes with the Walkman anymore. :D

mehdi_san

Here's a little unboxing video I did of the Japanese Premium Package, hope you guys will enjoy it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et7HDNGLSi0

0366ebca0ba111e1a87612313804ec91_7.jpg

rvy

Banned
Leshita said:

http://p.twimg.com/Ad2zS9ACIAEmOc2.jpg[IMG][IMG]http://p.twimg.com/Ad2w5GqCQAAACji.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Best villain in the series. Good call.

Does anyone know if the t-shirt codes available from the uniqlo shirts for the PSP of Peace Walker work for this re-release? Are the shirts in the games?

Ridley327

Verboten said:
Does anyone know if the t-shirt codes available from the uniqlo shirts for the PSP release work for this re-release? Are the shirts in the games?
I don't see why those codes wouldn't work; it is the same game outside of the controls and resolution.

polyh3dron said:
omg a HD version of ZOE2 of this caliber with the anime scenes remastered in HD would be one of the most amazing things ever

that is one of the first things i thought when i booted up mgs3 hd and saw the opening scenes. Cannot fucking wait for ZOE collection!!!! That massive mech battle towards the end of the game, now playable without major slowdown....OMFG!!

Out of all the games featured in this collection, Snake Eater benefits the most, graphically; while arguably the best-looking title to exist on the PS2, the addition of a higher resolution and frame rate puts it on par with some of the better-looking titles on the PS3 (which is the version I played for review). While this claim may seem preposterous, Snake Eater's meticulously designed environments do more for the game than any addition of a modern graphics engine could; in fact, the HD version does a great job of displaying details previously hidden by the tag team of CRT TV blurriness and the PS2's resolution.
1up review. http://www.1up.com/reviews/metal-gear-solid-collection-hd-ps3-xbox360

Still waiting for my order to be shipped @ PlanetAxel, bastards.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The LE is gorgeous. But sadly it will stay unopened until I catch up on some backlog of Batman and Uncharted.

JohngPR

Just got my LE in the mail. A lot bigger than I expected to be sure!

Ad6KI6hCMAAq4oY.jpg

A part of me wants to keep it sealed. A small part mind you, but a part nonetheless.

Dreamer RD

Any word about digital release on US PSN? Also, obviously, there is no European Extreme difficulty in US versions of games, right? Makes me think about waiting for EU release.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
keltickennedy said:
that is one of the first things i thought when i booted up mgs3 hd and saw the opening scenes. Cannot fucking wait for ZOE collection!!!! That massive mech battle towards the end of the game, now playable without major slowdown....OMFG!!
I'm actually slightly fearful that the ZOE collection will have some issues. Perhaps not, but there are hints throughout the MGS collection that concern me.

Basically, when a lot of particles and transparency effects fill the screen the engine does slowdown. Both games try to run the cutscenes at 60 fps and largely succeed, but when effects start filling the screen performance drops. The entire open sequence of MGS2 fails to hold its framerate as a result. It seems like it drops frames in areas that the PS2 may not originally have, in fact.

ZOE2 fills the game screen with even more ridiculous effects on a near constant basis.

The PS2 is extremely well suited for drawing lots of particles to the screen (which is why the MGS2 XBOX port was so lousy, I believe). For ZOE 2 it was already rendering the particles at half resolution on PS2 despite this strength. Even with the more powerful current consoles, an increase in screen and particle resolution and the addition of AA is likely to have an impact on performance. I'm sure it will still be smoother than the PS2 version, but I suspect it will give Blue Point quite a challenge.

hyduK

Banned
So, as someone who has never played an MGS game (don't kill me), and is thinking about picking this up, should I be playing the original MGS first? Obviously it's not included in this compilation, but it is on PSN. I'd honestly rather not play it until later, but would I be missing out on some big story elements? Nanomachines and such...

Chairhome

hyduK said:
So, as someone who has never played an MGS game (don't kill me), and is thinking about picking this up, should I be playing the original MGS first? Obviously it's not included in this compilation, but it is on PSN. I'd honestly rather not play it until later, but would I be missing out on some big story elements? Nanomachines and such...
I would say play them in order. Start with MGS 1, pretty sure the gameplay holds up pretty well. You'll be missing out on a lot of story elements and character development.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Quick Q to people who've played both versions of Peace Walker - would you recommend the original, the port, or waiting for the Vita port? Visuals, framerate, etc. aren't an issue to me.

hyduK said:

If you're not insane and can play older games, play them in the order of release.

Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2
MGS1
MGS2
MGS3
MGS4
Peace Walker

MG1 and MG2 are included in the MGS3 HD version. MGS1 is a direct sequel to MG2 and was originally meant to be a conclusion of the story...so if you want the full experience it makes way more sense to not jump right into MGS1. MG1 is fairly dated, but still worth playing and MG2 is amazing to this day and has a lot in common with the MGS games.

Salaadin

D2M15 said:
Quick Q to people who've played both versions of Peace Walker - would you recommend the original, the port, or waiting for the Vita port? Visuals, framerate, etc. aren't an issue to me.

I know you asked for someone who played both but Im going to answer you as someone who only played the original:

Get a version that has dual analog control. PS3 or Vita would be your best bets here.
PW was definitely playable in its original form but fuck was it frustrating to control at times.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
D2M15 said:
Buy this version.

The PSP version is fine, but the controls are MUCH more difficult, the resolution is very low (making it hard to see distant targets), and the framerate is very low. Even if you say those things don't matter, it makes for a much smoother experience.

Basically, I found that I could find, track, and take out targets much more quickly and efficiently on PS3. You simply have more control over your camera at any one time and can execute actions without giving up that control. The higher resolution also makes it easy to understand the map and the enemy placements giving you a much greater sense of mastery over your environment (which is more satisfying). On PSP, the 480x272 resolution just wasn't high enough to give you the sense that you could see everything clearly. It was so dithered and jaggy to the point that things became a mess.

It's just much more fun to play on PS3 (or 360, of course). That said, it would probably be awesome on Vita as well.

AEGISX

Banned
if i change the system clock to defeat the End, does it count as a kill and forbit me achieve "peace walker" trophy?
if i use leathal weapon on ocelot's dual does that count as a kill as well? i mean he's not dead in the game.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'd like to play PW as a portable game (the point of my original post, which I should have said!), so I'll hold out a few more months for Vita.

SiteSeer

it looks like amazon just charged my credit card and changed the status to 'shipping soon' for the le i preordered. i ordered 10/30, good luck to the rest of you, they probably just got a second shipment to send out.

gillty

Banned
Never played a MGS other than the PS1 demo in the 90's.

Two questions:

Does the HD Collection catch you up with anything I need to know from MGS1?

And if I were to play through HD 2, 3, Peace Walker, and MGS4 what would be the ideal order?

thechemist

Valru said:
Never played a MGS other than the PS1 demo in the 90's.

Two questions:

Does the HD Collection catch you up with anything I need to know from MGS1?

And if I were to play through HD 2, 3, Peace Walker, and MGS4 what would be the ideal order?

Please play MGS 1 if possible!! It still holds up, and also play in release order of the games, its the best way I believe, MGS2 - MGS3 - MGS4 - PW.

Babalu.

about how many hours are the MG1 and MG2 games? If they aren't too long I might play through them for the story. Love metal gear but they are a bit dated.

Top Bottom