• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

RedSwirl

Babalu. said:
about how many hours are the MG1 and MG2 games? If they aren't too long I might play through them for the story. Love metal gear but they are a bit dated.

About as long as any MGS game would be minus cut scenes. MG2 took me 12 hours, I'm sure MG1 was shorter. I think you'll be surprised with how similar MG2 is to MGS1 and 2 given it came out in 1990.

Babalu. said:
about how many hours are the MG1 and MG2 games? If they aren't too long I might play through them for the story. Love metal gear but they are a bit dated.

If you know what you're doing you can probably run through them in 2-4 hours tops, each.

My goodnes these trophy names are awesome. "To catch a predator" and "If it bleeds, we can kill it" are amazing. I never played MGS2 Subsatnce so these VR missions are a blast and I can't wait to start Snake Tales.

SamuraiX-

Babalu. said:

MG1 can be tedious because there's a lot of back tracking, but you can probably complete it in 6-8 hours.

MG2 probably something along the lines of 12-14 hours? Maybe less. I just remember it being significantly longer than MG1. Haven't played them for a long time and entirely forgot my completion times. :-/

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Babalu. said:

The story content of both games can be summarized in a paragraph so I wouldn't play them for that reason.

Games are worth playing for the game content though

Kind of cool to see how 2D metal gear evolved though from MG1->MG2>Ghost Babel>MGS1

I've never played 2 though and I wouldn't play the first without a guide on hand

Ridley327

I tried out the Metro update for a bit and wound up buying the Foxhound shirt and Metal Gear Ray pet for my Avatar.

I regret nothing.

robot

Im sure this has been asked a dozen times, and can't find it in the OP - but what is the correct chronological order to play the 3 MGS games on the collection? Not counting the MSX versions as I won't get to those till later. Or should I just play 2, 3 then PW? I've only played MGS 2 out of this collection.

Ridley327

robot said:
Im sure this has been asked a dozen times, and can't find it in the OP - but what is the correct chronological order to play the 3 MGS games on the collection? Not counting the MSX versions as I won't get to those till later.
It would be MGS3 -> Peace Walker -> MGS2, but the gap between Peace Walker and MGS2 is rather large and includes three games.

robot

Ridley327 said:
It would be MGS3 -> Peace Walker -> MGS2, but the gap between Peace Walker and MGS2 is rather large and includes three games.

Thats fine - kinda works out too since I've never played 3 and PW. Thanks.

burgerdog

Team Klimt said:
Any comparisons between PS3 and 360 yet? I would prefer 360, but I'd get PS3 if it looked markedly better.

MGS2 and 3 are sublime on ps3. Peace Walker tears 95% of the time at the top of the screen, it's really odd as I can't detect the framerate dropping and the game is tearing.

Desmond

burgerdog said:
MGS2 and 3 are sublime on ps3. Peace Walker tears 95% of the time at the top of the screen, it's really odd as I can't detect the framerate dropping and the game is tearing.
I don't mean to be rude, but you are the only person I've seen with this problem. If it effects others, I apologise, but It felt like you were passing it off as a widespread problem.

Tomasooie

I was playing Snake Eater at a friend's on PS3, and the briefing after the intro cutscene froze as it faded out, and it took around half a minute for the next cutscene to start. Anyone else experience this?

Also, do all the US copies have French/English cover and manual?

RedSwirl

Shit man. I just realize how much leveling up I still have to do in Peace Walker. This collection just got me back on this game.

This is one of those games I need to campaign to all my buddies to buy.

The part where the colonel starts "malfunctioning" in Arsenal Gear is still the greatest sequence in video game history, making up for the preceding scenes where Otacon breaks down. Which are the WORST.

revolverjgw said:
The part where the colonel starts "malfunctioning" in Arsenal Gear is still the greatest sequence in video game history, making up for the preceding scenes where Otacon breaks down. Which are the WORST.

It's amazing, I know people who actually followed his instructions lol.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Team Klimt said:
Any comparisons between PS3 and 360 yet? I would prefer 360, but I'd get PS3 if it looked markedly better.

Controls are better on PS3.

And damn, the PS3 LE is gone EVERYWHERE. Trying to find a second copy is impossible.

Daigoro

its been a while. i forgot how much i love the MGS3 start screen.

and i love Para-medic's speeches about the old horror films.

this game has so much style.

Snaku

Banned
DualShadow said:
It's amazing, I know people who actually followed his instructions lol.

I did. I'd never played a MGS game before, and picked up MGS2 on Xbox after loving Splinter Cell. Mind blown.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Babalu. said:
MG1+MG2 = MGS1

Definitely not dated, waaaay ahead of their time when they came out

burgerdog

No hyperbole, MGS3(on ps3 at least) looks better than *some* current gen games. It's getting more impressive as I progress through the game.

Snaku said:
I did. I'd never played a MGS game before, and picked up MGS2 on Xbox after loving Splinter Cell. Mind blown.

I remember playing it the first time when I was younger and actually considering it, but decided against it.

SamuraiX-

Kagari said:
And damn, the PS3 LE is gone EVERYWHERE. Trying to find a second copy is impossible.
Wario64 said:
There was one that sold for $200 on eBay
Kagari said:
fuuuuuuuuu.

Actually limited :O

I feel so lucky. <3

Still holding my breath until Tuesday though. :-/

Marty Chinn said:
Gamestop is showing them in stock from their in store stock check. I wonder if that's accurate or not.

I fucking doubt it.

I have yet to see anything "out of stock" using that tracker and I've checked multiple titles.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Marty Chinn said:
Gamestop is showing them in stock from their in store stock check. I wonder if that's accurate or not.
They just want you to go to the store so they can say, "Nope, shoulda pre-ordered bro."

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Marty Chinn said:
They show that if the pre-ordered copy has not been picked up yet.

jett

D-Member
dark10x said:
I'm actually slightly fearful that the ZOE collection will have some issues. Perhaps not, but there are hints throughout the MGS collection that concern me.

Basically, when a lot of particles and transparency effects fill the screen the engine does slowdown. Both games try to run the cutscenes at 60 fps and largely succeed, but when effects start filling the screen performance drops. The entire open sequence of MGS2 fails to hold its framerate as a result. It seems like it drops frames in areas that the PS2 may not originally have, in fact.

ZOE2 fills the game screen with even more ridiculous effects on a near constant basis.

The PS2 is extremely well suited for drawing lots of particles to the screen (which is why the MGS2 XBOX port was so lousy, I believe). For ZOE 2 it was already rendering the particles at half resolution on PS2 despite this strength. Even with the more powerful current consoles, an increase in screen and particle resolution and the addition of AA is likely to have an impact on performance. I'm sure it will still be smoother than the PS2 version, but I suspect it will give Blue Point quite a challenge.

wat

Not locked at 60fps? Bluepoint FAIL.

Top Bottom