• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

News Bot

Banned
Jesus Christ, duckroll, that's a spoiler minefield.

While I agree with the sentiment that PO's story did have purpose and importance in its own right, I can't agree that it was just as vital as PW.
Things like saving Grey Fox and forming FOXHOUND are things that are merely glossed over in the grand scheme of things. While Gene does give Snake the basic idea for Outer Heaven, he doesn't get past the "... I'll think about it" phase of things. This is compared to PW where not only does Snake finally move past the Boss's death, fully accepts the mantle of Big Boss, but he also explicitly creates Outer Heaven. This is a direct contrast from PO where the biggest point of the story is to explain how Big Boss gets the Legacy funds from Gene.

Portable Ops was really an absolutely worthless addition and the only actual reference to its existence is with Miller's mention of the events once at the beginning of Peace Walker. The story of PW absolutely ignores it for the rest of the time.

1) Never explained what Big Boss did with the microfilm Gene gave him. MSF is cash-strapped at the beginning of PW, so it's obvious he never used it for that.

2) The shit with The Boss happens yet again despite him having already reached a "conclusion" with her in Portable Ops. Likewise, he goes through the same soldier identity clash shit only with I AM A GUN rather than his subdued and rather depressing statement at the end of Portable Ops.

3) Big Boss leading FOXHOUND makes absolutely no fucking sense at all after PO and PW considering he somehow returns to America despite being an enemy to Zero and openly opposing him at the end of PW, and leads one of the U.S. Army's best units. Somehow. And Miller joining FOXHOUND too. What the fuck.

4) Gray Fox. Shoehorned into PO and then thrown right back out. No explanation given for quite frankly (heh heh) anything about him.

The fact is, neither Portable Ops, Peace Walker or Guns of the Patriots were needed or intended. They are the direct result of making shit up on the fly and deciding to override previously established events or information. Kojima was also never a consistent writer anyway. The new writers such as the Database guy certainly don't help when they incorporate the fucking Snatcher series into the storyline and contradict MGS4 despite the game having only been just released at the time they wrote shit like the absolutely embarrassing explanation of an explanation revolving around "Liquid Ocelot" and his arm. Not to mention Big Boss being a Snatcher, which honestly sounds better than "we stuck some dead tissue on this dude and now he's brand new, definitely didn't get reduced to ash with a lighter and an aerosol spray".

Portable Ops was really an absolutely worthless addition and the only actual reference to its existence is with Miller's mention of the events once at the beginning of Peace Walker. The story of PW absolutely ignores it for the rest of the time.

1) Never explained what Big Boss did with the microfilm Gene gave him. MSF is cash-strapped at the beginning of PW, so it's obvious he never used it for that.

2) The shit with The Boss happens yet again despite him having already reached a "conclusion" with her in Portable Ops. Likewise, he goes through the same soldier identity clash shit only with I AM A GUN rather than his subdued and rather depressing statement at the end of Portable Ops.

3) Big Boss leading FOXHOUND makes absolutely no fucking sense at all after PO and PW considering he somehow returns to America despite being an enemy to Zero and openly opposing him at the end of PW, and leads one of the U.S. Army's best units. Somehow. And Miller joining FOXHOUND too. What the fuck.

4) Gray Fox. Shoehorned into PO and then thrown right back out. No explanation given for quite frankly (heh heh) anything about him.

The fact is, neither Portable Ops, Peace Walker or Guns of the Patriots were needed or intended. They are the direct result of making shit up on the fly and deciding to override previously established events or information. Kojima was also never a consistent writer anyway. The new writers such as the Database guy certainly don't help when they incorporate the fucking Snatcher series into the storyline and contradict MGS4 despite the game having only been just released at the time they wrote shit like the absolutely embarrassing explanation of an explanation revolving around "Liquid Ocelot" and his arm. Not to mention Big Boss being a Snatcher, which honestly sounds better than "we stuck some dead tissue on this dude and now he's brand new, definitely didn't get reduced to ash with a lighter and an aerosol spray".

So what was the point of all this? You hate PO?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
God, I can't force myself to take out the plastic and start playing the game... I hyped the living shit out of this collection and I'm pleased to know that it runs great. But actually putting the disc has been a problem, I just don't feel like playing MGS2 even though I love that game. God damn it. I just wanna go straight to MGS3 ;_;

Daigoro

God, I can't force myself to take out the plastic and start playing the game... I hyped the living shit out of this collection and I'm pleased to know that it runs great. But actually putting the disc has been a problem, I just don't feel like playing MGS2 even though I love that game. God damn it. I just wanna go straight to MGS3 ;_;

so do it.

i played through MGS3 first and then went to MGS2. got a little burnt out by the time i got to PW, but im about ready to head back soon.

Roto13

If you played them before it doesn't really matter if you play them in order now....

The games are arranged in chronological order on the menu if you just have to play them in order for OCD reasons.

SHAZOOM

Did they take out the SNAKE EATER intro video in the collection? I've been sitting here waiting for the intro to start and it just keeps going to the CQC screen.

That works? I mean, outside of dart frogs?

Oh hey, those Frogs are in the Fears area... could work.

Couldn't you have just gone into the CURE menu and used it? I don't think there needs to be anything wrong with Snake for stuff to be used on him...

edit: Actually... nevermind, I'm pretty sure I'm wrong about that. What about equipping it as a weapon and throwing it or something, can that be done?

Couldn't you have just gone into the CURE menu and used it? I don't think there needs to be anything wrong with Snake for stuff to be used on him...

edit: Actually... nevermind, I'm pretty sure I'm wrong about that. What about equipping it as a weapon and throwing it or something, can that be done?

No. You can only equip items in your backpack and those are not in it. For example, I had to throw grenades at myself to purposely injure Snake in order to use those items and collect the plants.

I apologize in advance for two stupid questions:

1. How do I switch from Snake to another character to do the first "Extra-Op"?

2. How do I use the Fulton Recovery System? Miller has mentioned it, but there doesn't appear to be any option to actually use it.

edit: derp, fulton was in my inventory all along

So uh, is the Monster Hunter stuff still in Peace Walker? Please say it is.

Yes. I did one in co-op with a fellow gaffer and cooked some rations while he did all the work. I was useless. I even burnt some of the rations.

I apologize in advance for two stupid questions:

1. How do I switch from Snake to another character to do the first "Extra-Op"?

2. How do I use the Fulton Recovery System? Miller has mentioned it, but there doesn't appear to be any option to actually use it.

edit: derp, fulton was in my inventory all along

Go to mission prep before beginning a mission, highlight Snake's name and press the 'x' button to select another character. This is based off of memory, but I think it's mostly accurate.

Go to mission prep before beginning a mission, highlight Snake's name and press the 'x' button to select another character. This is based off of memory, but I think it's mostly accurate.

Thank you. Is there a good beginner's guide for this game? I don't want to miss anything, and I feel like there's a lot to take in.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
FFFFFUUUUUUCCCKKKKK. I killed two people somehow and I really don't remember. There goes my No Kill run trophy. >_<

And fuuuuuuck. The game fucked up when I went to XMB during Sigint's explination of C3. :| Now I gotta redo a few parts I wager.

iLLmAtlc

Thank you. Is there a good beginner's guide for this game? I don't want to miss anything, and I feel like there's a lot to take in.

The best word of advice I can give is to recruit religiously. Develop that scanner tool that tells you the rating of each solider (for example, Battle: C) and Fulton the best guys. Also remember to develop your gear. I tried to play through it like a regular MGS game the first time around and just screwed the recruiting and the boss battles were extremely difficult since my gear stunk.

In the end I was also locked out of the final chapter of the game (I think) because my base wasn't big enough (base size is directly related to the quality of your recruits). So just remember the two R's, recruit and research!

Teknoman

hell muthafuckin yea

iAELZAZgld777.jpg

The best word of advice I can give is to recruit religiously. Develop that scanner tool that tells you the rating of each solider (for example, Battle: C) and Fulton the best guys. Also remember to develop your gear. I tried to play through it like a regular MGS game the first time around and just screwed the recruiting and the boss battles were extremely difficult since my gear stunk.

In the end I was also locked out of the final chapter of the game (I think) because my base wasn't big enough (base size is directly related to the quality of your recruits). So just remember the two R's, recruit and research!

So is this not necessarily a stealth game, then? Looking at the achievements I see an award for "100 Kills," which seems weird. And thanks!

CO_Andy

What? It's a stealth game like any other Metal Gear.

You're free to go gung-ho, but that won't earn you an S rank after a stage completion.

Tagg9

I've never played a MGS game before. Is this collection a good place to start, or should I download the PSX original off PSN? (Or Twin Snakes on Gamecube?)

I've never played a MGS game before. Is this collection a good place to start, or should I download the PSX original off PSN? (Or Twin Snakes on Gamecube?)

They are meant to be played in release order, not chronological order. So, you really need to play MGS1 (PSX, preferably), then MGS2, MGS3, and so on. You don't really need to know anything about the games prior to MGS1. But, for MGS2, you really really really should play through MGS1 first. There's nothing wrong with playing on the easiest level of MGS1 to just get the story.

What? It's a stealth game like any other Metal Gear.

You're free to go gung-ho, but that won't earn you an S rank after a stage completion.

Err, I guess I was under the (false) impression that you needed to use the weapons to rank them up. Is it just the bosses that are combat-heavy?

You should really play them in order. So grab MGS1 on PSN. Things will just mean more if you do, 2's callbacks to 1 for instance.

TheSeks

So is this not necessarily a stealth game, then? Looking at the achievements I see an award for "100 Kills," which seems weird. And thanks!

Er-It's a stealth game. S-ranking the missions REQUIRES no kills, basically. Just there's an achievement for 100 kills because there's titles/"codenames" that require kills/stuns with long/short-range weapons and CQC and the like.

Also beat MGS3 again. Word for trophy whores: Markhor and keeping the Tsuchinoko will give you the Inf. Ammo Facepaint + EZ Gun. Useful for the next run through if you killed someone.

Speaking of which, the chase sequence, don't shoot at anyone and take the log hit with Eva or what?

And is there a good checklist site for the Kerotans? Never did complete this achievement on the PS2 version, but since it's required for Platinum...

Tagg9

You should really play them in order. So grab MGS1 on PSN. Things will just mean more if you do, 2's callbacks to 1 for instance.

Thanks brian and Rahxephon91. I just checked the eBay prices for Twin Snakes (yeesh!), and looks like I'll be getting it from PSN.

TheSeks

Thanks brian and Rahxephon91. I just checked the eBay prices for Twin Snakes (yeesh!), and looks like I'll be getting it from PSN.

Thank god, you're getting the classic. Not the terrible remake.

Also I never played the original MGO. But I have played the Portable variant (MPO) and the new MGS4 MGO and... never liked them. MGO in MGS4 esp. with it's stupid leveling requirements. I feel MGS does not work with multiplayer. Outside of Co-op in Peace Walker, anyway.

Crap, nostalgia.

Anybody else miss the original MGO?

Hell yeah. I fucking adored it.

Er-It's a stealth game. S-ranking the missions REQUIRES no kills, basically. Just there's an achievement for 100 kills because there's titles/"codenames" that require kills/stuns with long/short-range weapons and CQC and the like.

Also beat MGS3 again. Word for trophy whores: Markhor and keeping the Tsuchinoko will give you the Inf. Ammo Facepaint + EZ Gun. Useful for the next run through if you killed someone.

Speaking of which, the chase sequence, don't shoot at anyone and take the log hit with Eva or what?

And is there a good checklist site for the Kerotans? Never did complete this achievement on the PS2 version, but since it's required for Platinum...

Much obliged!

Desmond

Just set to the easiest difficulty for the EZ Gun

Balls, just remembered there's Kerotans on the bike chase

TheSeks

Just set to the easiest difficulty for the EZ Gun

I already unlocked the EZ Gun on this normal file. But I'm worried abusing the tranq guns will have the motorcycle crashes/etc. count as kills. :/

TheSeks

They don't, which has always been one of the weirdest things.

You can even take out the driver first with a tranq and the bike crashing will not count the other guy's death against you. Same goes for the hover sleds.

Hmmm... guess I'll be abusing the MK22 and EZ Gun then.

But I still need to get the Kerotans. Is there a good visual guide and checklist for this?

Does the idea of S-Ranking missions in Peace Walker seem more reasonable once everything is upgraded? It seems pretty intimidating at the point I'm at (just beat the tank).

Top Bottom